PDA

View Full Version : Heroes of the Soap...err Lance OOC



Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

wxdruid
2008-06-02, 02:37 PM
Here is the OOC thread for Dragons of Autumn.

One reminder from the recruiting thread...

Frequency of posting. I expect you to check the thread at least once per day and post as required. Absences are allowed, I need to know ahead of time. I expect this game to last a long time. If you’re gone for 14 days without notice I will kill and replace your character.

Toliudar ( http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=12638)-Pearl Kharlas (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=15874)-The Fearless Leader
LordOfTheDucks ( http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=33936)-Lagri Firekeeper (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=55221)-The Reluctant Prophet
codexgigas ( http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=4816)-Bryce Alban (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=55418)-The Idealist
Annalia ( http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=123)-Hector Kinder (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=112)-The Protector
SilentNight ( http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=32747)-Kalrin Danton-Prettyshaper (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=55416)-The Sage
Philistine ( http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=36653)-Gneiss Copperpot (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=55529)-The Dwarven Rogue
bchilders ( http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=29540)-Kiran Darkmoon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=55445)-The Mentor (ceased posting in game)
RoylkinEarthwhispr ( http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=2179)-Gakhan Nightbringer (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=55480)-The Ranger (vanished somewhere)

Dragons of Autumn-DragonLance (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82431)
Dragons of Autumn-DragonLance II (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122015)
Dragons of Autumn-DL III-Pax Tharkas (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11951154#post11951154)

Here are the roles, I have an idea which one I think each of you would fulfill, but I'd like to know what all of you think about which one you'd be best for.

The Prophet (Out of all of them, I've already selected this one, waiting for them to accept/decline)

The Leader
The Leader is the face of the group. He does the talking in delicate social situations; he negotiates with friends and enemies when appropriate. He is trusted to make many decisions on behalf of the entire party.

Any charismatic character with a sense of responsibility can fill this role. The other characters should like and trust him, even if he doesn't trust himself. It's unlikely a wizard can fill this role, but many other classes can; a noble or a charismatic fighter would be ideal.

The Rogue
There are certainly times when a character who knows how to sneak, pick locks and get into places he's not supposed to can be very handy. Rogues (of course) and rangers can fit the role very well.

The Sage
A wizard, though not required for Dragons of Autumn, is certainly useful. Spell support for the party is always extremely helpful, but the role of sage could be filled by a master with the sage focus or a rogue with a number of skill points dedicated to various knowledge checks. However, selecting those classes over wizard will lessen the overall combat effectiveness of the group.

The Ranger
The Ranger is often seen as a dark and stoic warrior. The party relies on the Ranger for his combat abilities and his knowledge of wilderness and nature when traveling to distant lands. The Ranger archetype is not usually suited to take a leadership role as most rangers prefer not to deal with people in general.

Any character with good fighting abilities and survival skills could fill this role. Player characters with the barbarian, fighter, or ranger classes are the most likely candidates to fill this archetype. Monks or nobles with skill points in survival would also make an interesting choice.

The Mentor
The Mentor archetype is a character who teaches by example, is a steadfast friend, and counsels the others using his life experience.

The most important aspects of filling this role are loyalty and friendship. Wisdom and old age would also seem to be a requirement, but they are not entirely necessary. Since these are roleplaying attributes, it does not matter what class a person plays. Any player willing to support the party as a whole, rather than looking out only for himself, would do well in this role.

The Protector
The Protector is the archetype who is always willing to put himself in harm's way for the good of the party. He will step into any fight to shield the ones he loves.

The role of the Protector will most likely be served best by a skilled warrior who can stand at the front of the party in any battle and is able to take a beating. Knights and fighters make the best protectors, although a barbarian could also fill the role.

The Idealist
The Idealist archetype is that of the beautiful, gifted and doomed. This character in the story is fated to fulfill some destiny during the adventure and is willing to give up his life to accomplish this task.

The character who takes this role should have some affinity with the noble ideals of the Knights of Solamnia. It will take a huge sacrifice to bring the Knights back together and rally them against the invading Dragonarmies. A knight or warrior affiliated with the Knights would be the most likely candidate for this role, though even a non-knightly character may prove to have the commitment and conviction to rise above the darkness and inspire others at great risk to themselves.

The Hawk
Any warrior character with levels in fighter, barbarian, or ranger could fill the role of Hawk. Nobles, especially among the nonhuman races, are likely to possess the required emotional drive. The hawk archetype is related to aggressive impulses. Driven by frustration or despair, this character often seeks a foe upon which to focus his aggression, although as the story develops he may begin to understand the need for peace and stability.

Choose a leader, which type your character is (I prefer one character per type, but some may have two), and do your backgrounds and finish up your character sheets. The game won't be started til this is finished.

Any other questions?

Annalia
2008-06-02, 02:54 PM
Dibs on Protector? :smallbiggrin: Although Hector could be considered (borderline) hawk, it doesn't sound that much like him. Plus, we have a barbarian for that. :smallwink:

One thing's sure, and it's that you probably don't want him to take the leader spot. He's too impulsive and irrational for that kind of role: it'd get us in a lot of trouble.

Also, soap for the win! And it appears I'm the only one here not using myth-weavers! (Just opened all your sheets, and they all have this weird little symbol-thingy)

EDIT: Okay, here's a few positions I think should be given... if you want them, of course! I'm basing this draft on what I can see of classes and basic personnality. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong. Awfully so. And to tell me why, as we all want to get to know each other's characters.

Ranger: Gakhan Nightbringer has ranger skills. If he desire it, I believe we can pretty much give him that spot. :smallsmile:

Sage: Kalrin's the only wizard around. I do believe this should go to him.

Hawk: As I mentionned above, Lagri has the raging barbarian part of this role.

Protector: Must I repeat myself? I'd like to see Hector there, although I could indeed get shifted elsewhere.

Rogue: Hello, Gneiss. Say, is that rogue levels on your sheet? :smallwink:

Idealist: We have two Knights who could fill this role, but I'd be tempted to put Pearl in this role. It seems (to me) that Bryce has become has bit more disillusionned and realist. Still. Two Knights! :smalleek:

Leader: That'd actually put Bryce here. Since, you know, Kiran has cleric levels, and I'd expect a Prophet invitation to be waiting for him. :smallwink: I have to admit I'm a bit ambivalent at being led by a Solamnic Knight, though. It's definitely not the most... diplomatic type of characters. :smallamused:

That would mean we are mentor-less. Thoughts, folks?

Re-Edit: Oh. I also already know how I met Pearl, and have quite a good idea concerning Bryce. I seem to be the only native to Solace, although a few of you have resided there for a bit.

It seems like a good idea to first create a group with those who have taken residence in Solace, before finding some way to add the others. Perhaps by encountering them through an adventure of sorts?

Toliudar
2008-06-02, 03:48 PM
Pearl is a natural for the idealist role, although Bryce is also an excellent candidate there.

She'll never be the strongest (literally or figuratively) fighter in the group, but with her reasonable-but-not-maxed investment in social skills would do all right as a leader - if a slightly impulsive one.

Entirely opinion, and feel free not to look, but here's how I'd see the breakdown going:

Prophet: Kiran
Leader: Pearl
Rogue: Gneiss
Sage: Kalrin
Ranger: Lagri
Mentor: Gakhan
Protector: Hector
Idealist: Bryce
Hawk: Hector and Lagri seem to fit this best

If I recall correctly, we all knew each other five years ago, and then sort of went our ways, yes? Pearl's already interwoven a bit with Hector, but I'd be delighted to meet up with any of you during your intervening five years. It would be obvious for Bryce and Pearl to meet up once or twice, but I'm open to more esoteric connections as well: meeting Kalrin in a library, bailing Gneiss out of a jam, learning a bit of the craft of animals from Gakhan. Whatever.

Annalia
2008-06-02, 04:03 PM
I think it's more the other way around, actually. Once we leave, we remain alone for five years. Although I honestly don't see anything wrong with meeting in-between, we probably should work out how we met before taking the pact. I doubt we'd do something like that with people we don't trust (at least partly) before-hand.

We have so far...
Pearl and Hector as sparring partners.
Bryce spent some time as Hector's father's apprenticeship.

bchilders
2008-06-02, 05:13 PM
I was leaning towards the prophet myself, but I guess I'll wait to see what everyone else takes and pick up the left-over.

GrassyGnoll
2008-06-02, 05:23 PM
Lagri is the outsider it seems. Friendly enough, but still the outsider. I can see him filling either the Hawk or Ranger.

As a foreigner he can be a link between any dwarf/elf character and the human bulk. Gakhan's hatred for ogres seems like a good stepping stone.

For leader I nominate Pearl, but am alright with Bryce. Paladins just scream "leader" to me.

Philistine
2008-06-02, 07:37 PM
Yes, Gneiss is The Rogue - it's the only role he really fits. His personality has a bit of a Hawkish bent to it, but his methodology is pure Rogue. For the party as a whole, I see it as:

Leader: Pearl
Rogue: Gneiss
Sage: Kalrin
Ranger: Gakhan
Mentor: Kiran
Protector: Hector
Idealist: Bryce
Hawk: Lagri
Prophet: ??? (Short odds on Kiran, but I could also see an outside chance of it landing on Pearl or even Gakhan instead.)

Annalia, my understanding matches Toliudar's - the start of the adventure here is our party reunion after returning from our five-year individual searches for the Gods. So we need to both work out the initial meet-ups from back in the day, and also what we've been doing for the last five years.

Meetup/origin ideas (Should I be sending this stuff via PM?):
Annalia/Codexgigas: When Gneiss first arrived in Solace, he would have needed to replace some kit that got left behind due to the hurried nature of his departure from Haven - so he quite likely would have paid a visit to the Kinder smithy, giving him an initial contact with Hector and/or Bryce. If one or the other of them (or both) turned up at the Inn within a day or two after that, Gneiss probably would've waved him (them) over to sit and have an ale.

Toliudar: If a pair of constables from the Lordcity of Haven showed up at the Inn in Solace, hot on the trail of a certain dwarf (ahem) who'd just taken lodgings there, do you think Pearl might have faced them down and sent them on their way because they had no lawful authority outside of Haven proper?

LordOfTheDucks: Was Lagri treasure-hunting for magic items on his first trip to Solace? I could see Gneiss having a couple of little trinkets - loot from one of his last "jobs" over in Haven, probably too hot to fence locally but not useful enough to keep - which he would be more than happy to sell, especially to someone who's planning to take them far, far away! (By the way - I could be mistaken, but I believe the setting is about 50 years too early for Cryonisis to be a major force on Krynn.)

GrassyGnoll
2008-06-02, 07:56 PM
LordOfTheDucks: Was Lagri treasure-hunting for magic items on his first trip to Solace? I could see Gneiss having a couple of little trinkets - loot from one of his last "jobs" over in Haven, probably too hot to fence locally but not useful enough to keep - which he would be more than happy to sell, especially to someone who's planning to take them far, far away! (By the way - I could be mistaken, but I believe the setting is about 50 years too early for Cryonisis to be a major force on Krynn.)

I don't see why not. Magical items just might happen to be hot merchandise down south.

Ah time is a fickle mistress. Even though the rebellion against Sleet was a few years off it didn't really affect anyone outside of Icereach and put in place two far more interesting Dragonlords. I felt pushing up the schedule for sedition was justifiable from a storytelling standpoint.

Annalia
2008-06-02, 10:19 PM
Annalia, my understanding matches Toliudar's - the start of the adventure here is our party reunion after returning from our five-year individual searches for the Gods. So we need to both work out the initial meet-ups from back in the day, and also what we've been doing for the last five years.

Meetup/origin ideas (Should I be sending this stuff via PM?):
Annalia/Codexgigas: When Gneiss first arrived in Solace, he would have needed to replace some kit that got left behind due to the hurried nature of his departure from Haven - so he quite likely would have paid a visit to the Kinder smithy, giving him an initial contact with Hector and/or Bryce. If one or the other of them (or both) turned up at the Inn within a day or two after that, Gneiss probably would've waved him (them) over to sit and have an ale.

Oh, yeah. I just expected working out the five years of travels to be done more individually. Probably because mine has already been worked out. :smallamused:

As for your suggestion, that makes perfect sense. Although from the way I see it, Hector was probably out during the day. Gneiss could probably meet Bryce there, and if both him and Hector are at the Inn the following night, Bryce could present Hector. From there on it's easy shot: Hector is by nature open, joking and easy-going. He makes friends easy.

On other note, Pearl as leader goes fine with me too. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Say, Roylkin, is that house Gakhan built some distance from Solace also in a valenwood tree? Because Hector had this bad habit of climbing in trees.. as a kid/teenager. That and Otik's spiced potatoes could be a great way to introduce Gakhan (who sounds rather reclusive) to the group.

Toliudar
2008-06-02, 11:32 PM
Toliudar: If a pair of constables from the Lordcity of Haven showed up at the Inn in Solace, hot on the trail of a certain dwarf (ahem) who'd just taken lodgings there, do you think Pearl might have faced them down and sent them on their way because they had no lawful authority outside of Haven proper?

She might indeed have sent them on their way for lack of evidence...she might just as soon have guilt-tripped a certain dwarf into working to pay for whatever had been taken - although she might have contributed her own labour and savings to such a cause.

codexgigas
2008-06-03, 01:17 AM
I think Pearl makes a better leader than Bryce, although I can also see how she makes a better idealist. I see Bryce as the idealist/protector, and I'm honestly leaning toward idealist. Yes, he is disillusioned with what he found in Solamnia, but it's because the Knighthood doesn't meet his ideals. Plus, I'm planning for Bryce to become a Clerist following the return of the true gods, which should go a long way to help with his disillusionment. I more or less envision him as attempting to call the Knighthood back to its devotion to the gods of good that is supposed to be at its core, along with the Oath and Measure.

As far as intertwining backgrounds go, Bryce is a native of Solace (his father isn't), so he and Hector probably go pretty far back. I fully agree that the smith Bryce was apprenticed to was Hector's father, so that just strengthens the connection. There's also an obvious connection to Pearl, both through Hector and through the Solamnic Knights. If our dm is fine with it, I'm even inclined to believe that Bryce and Pearl spent most of the five years together, since it's been established that they were both in Solamnia during that time. Bryce would certainly be willing to take Pearl on as his squire and would support her petition to the Order of the Crown, even if the Measure, in all its twenty-seven current volumes, states that she needs to prove noble birth.

Relationships with everyone else will depend on what other ideas people come up with. Bryce and Gneiss probably met at the smithy, and Bryce might even have botched Gneiss' order (he was never that good of a smith).

Edit: Annalia, I just noticed your message. I obviously agree with all of your ideas.

Philistine
2008-06-03, 02:12 AM
She might indeed have sent them on their way for lack of evidence...she might just as soon have guilt-tripped a certain dwarf into working to pay for whatever had been taken - although she might have contributed her own labour and savings to such a cause.

Guilt? A fellow's got to make a living, you know, and Mister Rogue here earns his daily bread on the shady side of the street! Anyway, he always made it a point never to steal anthing from anyone who couldn't afford to lose it - as attested to by the fact that after he made an imperfectly clean getaway, his victims could still afford to hire a pair of rent-a-goons to follow him and try to drag him back. If it helps, you could try thinking of Gneiss as a sort of freelance socialist, operating at the microeconomic level to redistribute wealth and help keep society's financial wheels turning... But I'd probably better do better than that, eh?

Okay... the Havenites had no jurisdiction, and no evidence (unless/until they manage to search Gneiss's belongings, which he would have to be forcibly restrained to allow). They had a description so vague that it could fit almost any dwarf, most kender, a shortish human, or even a heavyset elf; plus a rumor that their quarry had left Haven on the Solace road. And Gneiss would have been loudly protesting his innocence all the while. Lying of course, but he was looking at being robbed (to his way of thinking) and dragged off to Haven in chains, and probably getting a beating from his captors every step of the way. So yes, he'd lie to the big, tough human in hopes of enlisting her to aid him against the other big, tough humans.

Much later on, once he got to know Pearl a bit better, and especially when they both ended up as members of the Innfellows, then he'd feel bad about that. This would make him even less likely to ever tell her the truth about that day, because honestly, honesty is not his strong suit. But it also gives him extra incentive to try to dispose of the "hot" items from Haven the first time he gets a chance to do it without Pearl noticing. At first, because he wouldn't want her to decide to drag him off to Haven herself; later, because he would have been ashamed if his friend found out the first words he ever spoke to her were lies.

Of course we do have a perfectly viable fallback option if this doesn't work out. Pearl knows Hector; Hector and Bryce go way back; Bryce and Gneiss met at the smithy shortly after Gneiss hit town.

wxdruid
2008-06-03, 08:15 AM
I'm enjoying reading all this, you guys are doing a great job at the background stuff, keep right on going.

bchilders
2008-06-03, 08:39 AM
I see Kiran as coming late to the scene, not so much part of the crew that was purposefully meeting back in Solace. But for a connection I could definitely see one of the returning companions coming through ****(can't remember the name of my city at work) wounded and Kiran having to tend to them. Especially if it was Hector, a connection could have been made over their beliefs in the old gods. Let me know if anyone thinks it fits their character.

SilentNight
2008-06-03, 08:42 AM
Hey guys, sorry I'm late, I had a gig to play. So yeah, I guess I'm the sage, being the only wizard.

Philistine: Would you say that Gneiss has a typical dwarven love of gems? If so then here's roughly what I'm thinking.

Once Kalrin arrived in Solace he first tried to find his friend Billin. After determining that the trail had gone cold, he kipped at the inn for a while, selling his gems. Eventually they caught the eye of Gneiss Copperpot, the new dwarf in town. Perhaps Lagri too. Gneiss showed them to his friends at the smithy who set Kalrin up with a little part time job.

Alternatively,
Toliudar: Sure, Kalrin would probably head to any library that was availible.
Actually, Kalrin could meet just about any of the heroes during his search for Billin......

Annalia
2008-06-03, 10:30 AM
I see Kiran as coming late to the scene, not so much part of the crew that was purposefully meeting back in Solace. But for a connection I could definitely see one of the returning companions coming through ****(can't remember the name of my city at work) wounded and Kiran having to tend to them. Especially if it was Hector, a connection could have been made over their beliefs in the old gods. Let me know if anyone thinks it fits their character.

Hector + Wounded is a very likely combo. Not only does he train often, which can go south with a bad move, but he's kind of a show-off.. which implies stuff like climbing high in trees (we should keep that one for Gakhan, if his house is indeed in a tree), diving down from a cliff into the lake (can't remember if there are mountains around Crystalmir lake), and all sorts of dangerous endeavours. As long as there's someone (*cough* Pearl? *cough*) watching, he's willing. :smallamused:

Also, folks, there is something else we must figure out. If you check the timelines, you'll realise that when the pact was made, Pearl was 15. I'm starting to think her leadership should be something more recent: something that comes naturally during the game. It strikes to me that a motley crew such as our characters wouldn't follow a fifteen-year-old teenager. However, if at the time her opinions and ideas were already quite respected by everyone, it could make sense that when she suddenly orders/strongly suggests something during the game, no one goes "Since when are you the leader?" We'd just go "Yeah, makes sense.", move out, and later on it'd become quite the natural thing.

EDIT: Oh, and gemcutting's decidely not Hector's father cup of tea, so he'd be pleased to get our local wizard's help on this. Which means you have a stable footing in Solace, and can meet about everyone through that. :smallsmile:

Oh, and for the record. The blacksmith's name is Gerard Kinder. He seems to come up often, so I figured we'd best have a name.

codexgigas
2008-06-03, 11:02 AM
Also, folks, there is something else we must figure out. If you check the timelines, you'll realise that when the pact was made, Pearl was 15. I'm starting to think her leadership should be something more recent: something that comes naturally during the game. It strikes to me that a motley crew such as our characters wouldn't follow a fifteen-year-old teenager. However, if at the time her opinions and ideas were already quite respected by everyone, it could make sense that when she suddenly orders/strongly suggests something during the game, no one goes "Since when are you the leader?" We'd just go "Yeah, makes sense.", move out, and later on it'd become quite the natural thing.

That sounds about right. Pearl needs to become our leader, and there could even be some (slight) argument over it after the fact. After all, we are taking orders from the youngest in the group. Still, if she's level-headed and hsa good ideas (and prevents Bryce from getting himself killed for the sake of honor), everyone should eventually fall in line. Likewise, Bryce and Hector are also too young to really be in a leadership position pre-pact. That brings up the question of who convinced the rest of us to go search for the true gods. Gakhan seems like the logical choice to me, but I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks.

Toliudar
2008-06-03, 11:41 AM
Also, with so much testosterone in the group, and Pearl the only woman, there might be a sense that, if some of the more muscleheaded of the group won't listen to another muscleheaded guy, they don't so much mind taking suggestions from a woman. And she in turn feels somewhat maternal and protective of "her" lads. Even Hector. :smallwink:

And yes, I like the idea of there being not so much a clear sense that she's in charge, but rather a growing consensus that she tends to speak the commonly-held beliefs. Albeit sometimes in a slightly stuffy paladin-esque way. One of the purposes of having Pearl SO young was that she would be underestimated and overlooked frequently - she'd be used to it by now.

Silent Knight: I think that we could have fun with the very different ways that a paladin and a TN wizard might use a library. You hoarded books, and snuck pages into your pack. I spent half the time chatting with the staff of the library...

Philistine: I LOVE the idea that their friendship is based on a lie, a lie he now feels he can't ever tell her about. Let's run with that.

Annalia
2008-06-03, 11:45 AM
You know.. it sounds to me like Pearl would be happy to die by your side for honour's sake, rather than try to prevent it. :smalltongue:

As for who convinced us... well, it won't need that much convincing for my part. Hector would be more than happy to leave on something like that, and if someone brought up the idea on a night he'd drank a bit, he'd probably be game right away and work towards helping convincing the others.

Toliudar
2008-06-03, 12:11 PM
That brings up the question of who convinced the rest of us to go search for the true gods. Gakhan seems like the logical choice to me, but I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks.

Hmm. good question, Codex. If Kiran is not a prime mover of the group five years ago, then yes, we need to find another galvanizing force. Gakhan works great for me. Maybe Bryce.

codexgigas
2008-06-03, 01:29 PM
I can't see Bryce as the galvanizing force. Before the pact, I see him as being fairly immature and more interested in having a good time or playing knight than looking for religion. The quest he undertakes as his part of the pact is really more to become a knight than to find the true gods. His eventual epiphany is going to be because of the growing disquiet he feels with the Knights of Solamnia being more champions of law than of good at the moment. After all, in his mind, the orders are supposed to be devoted to Habbakuk, Kiri-Jolith, and Paladine as much as they are to the Oath and the Measure.

Annalia
2008-06-03, 01:50 PM
Hector can be a galvanizing force. Heck, Hector is by nature someone with the enthusiasm and energy to get people to do things. The problem is that I don't see this being his idea. It's obvious to me he would love such an idea and spread it around to all his adventuring-like friends (namely, our group!). He's always had this thing for heroic epicness and, well, 'find the old gods' sounds just like it, eh? :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Also, is it just me or we've yet to hear from Roylkin? C'mon, join the party, we're having fun before the game even started!

bchilders
2008-06-03, 04:08 PM
If Hector is looking for someone to give him the idea, then we could say that our "run in" happened before the split. Kiran had left the tribe because of their focus on ancestor spirits, helped Hector patch up whatever wound he had acquired and shared his belief in the existence of the old gods. Alakazam - Hector is given the idea and uses his entusiasm to spread it to the group.

wxdruid - Any word on the accept/decline for the prophet role because *shameless plug* Kiran would love to step in to that void:smallbiggrin:

Philistine
2008-06-03, 05:50 PM
Not that I saw anyone suggesting it, but Gneiss is of course far too materialistic to come up with something like the Pact. I think he'd also be among the least enthusiastic about the idea, maybe even a bit disparaging at first - though he'd go along once he realized his friends were serious about it.

@LordOfTheDucks: Groovy. It's good to know a friendly fence - and even better if the fence is going to re-sell certain hot merchandise a long, long way from the place where people might still be looking for it. :smallbiggrin:

@SilentNight: Ha! Yes, I think it's safe to say that a new guy in town throwing around quantities of gemstones would get Gneiss's attention, and very quickly too. He not only has the stereotypical dwarven fondness for worked stone, but also the stereotypical rogueish fondness for low mass, low bulk, high value items. Gneiss might also sign on to help make sure you make it to the Tower of High Sorcery at the start of our five year mission, before going his own way.

@Toliudar: Allrighty, we'll do that then. And, bonus! Something else just came to me! Since Gneiss will always feel a bit like he's treading on eggshells with Pearl, this is his plausible excuse to follow her lead even if he's not necessarily comfortable with her decisions - and his deference might even help ease her into the leadership role with the rest of the group. After all, if she can convince a Gray Hat like Gneiss...

SilentNight
2008-06-03, 06:03 PM
Also, with so much testosterone in the group, and Pearl the only woman, there might be a sense that, if some of the more muscleheaded of the group won't listen to another muscleheaded guy, they don't so much mind taking suggestions from a woman. And she in turn feels somewhat maternal and protective of "her" lads. Even Hector. :smallwink:

And yes, I like the idea of there being not so much a clear sense that she's in charge, but rather a growing consensus that she tends to speak the commonly-held beliefs. Albeit sometimes in a slightly stuffy paladin-esque way. One of the purposes of having Pearl SO young was that she would be underestimated and overlooked frequently - she'd be used to it by now.

Silent Knight: I think that we could have fun with the very different ways that a paladin and a TN wizard might use a library. You hoarded books, and snuck pages into your pack. I spent half the time chatting with the staff of the library...

I whole-heartedly support the idea for Pearl's leadership. Should lead to some interesting role-playing.
Also, just because Kalrin's TN (I would've made him NG if I could've) doesn't mean he's reclusive. He'd probably spend just as much time talking with the staff. Except he'd be doing it to learn about local customs or perhaps some forgotten tome in a back hall. Perhaps after Kalrin was comfortable enough with the town as stated above, and joined in the pact, he set off to take the test. Afterwards, he went to Palanthas to research Kender wanderlust patterns where he ran into Pearl. How's that sound?
EDIT:@Philistine: Sweet.:smallbiggrin: that works perfectly.(Assuming that Gneiss doesn't decide to "appropriate" his fee from Kalrin without telling him.)

Toliudar
2008-06-03, 06:07 PM
I like that even better, SilentKnight.

I think that Pearl would have been fascinated by a wizard researching the kender - speaks to someone with a broader understanding of what's important in life. Perhaps, then, they've been travelling together from Palanthas?

SilentNight
2008-06-03, 06:23 PM
Toliudar: Yeah, Kalrin would probably also be extremely interested in a young woman who is defying all known convention. Are you saying that they travelled together from Palanthas before or after the pact?

Annalia
2008-06-03, 06:36 PM
@bchilders: That's perfectly fine with me! You mention you actually left to look for those old gods, and Hector can immediately mention he has quite a few friends he could convince to help out. A few weeks later, we have the Pact!

@Toli and SilentNight: I see talk of Palanthas. Hector spends most of his time there, as a gladiator (perhaps the only place with a bit of dirt in the entire town!) If you two headed there at some point, they could at least pay a visit. :smallwink:

Philistine
2008-06-03, 07:01 PM
@SilentNight: O ye of little faith! Though Gneiss is not technically an Outcast, he still really doesn't have a place in dwarven society anymore - yet he's a product of that very clannish society, and the in-group/out-group distinction is very important to him. Once you're part of the in group, you're safe as can be. That's why he feels so bad about lying to Pearl back when - it didn't matter when she was just some random stranger, but now she's part of the in group.

So Gneiss will see Kalrin as far as the Tower at Wayreth before heading off to... hmm. Maybe to Mount Nevermind, to see if the gnomes know something about Reorx that the dwarves don't.

EDIT:
Background updated on sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=55529), MAJOR revisions. All the party members except Gakhan are at least mentioned in there now, so please let me know if everything in there is okay.

EDIT 2:
Also, I don't know if we're color-coding our characters, but I think of Gneiss as a nice sienna color.

@V: No worries, it's a perfectly reasonable thing to wonder about. Especially since I just got done telling Toliudar what an amoral SOB Gneiss can be when he's up against it. :smallwink:

SilentNight
2008-06-03, 10:37 PM
@SilentNight: O ye of little faith! Though Gneiss is not technically an Outcast, he still really doesn't have a place in dwarven society anymore - yet he's a product of that very clannish society, and the in-group/out-group distinction is very important to him. Once you're part of the in group, you're safe as can be. That's why he feels so bad about lying to Pearl back when - it didn't matter when she was just some random stranger, but now she's part of the in group.

So Gneiss will see Kalrin as far as the Tower at Wayreth before heading off to... hmm. Maybe to Mount Nevermind, to see if the gnomes know something about Reorx that the dwarves don't.

Sweet, sounds good. Sorry:smallredface:.

@Annalia: Again, that depends if they're travelling together before or after the pact. But sure, I'm sure they'd love a short visit. Soap jokes for all:smallbiggrin:.

RoylkinEarthwhispr
2008-06-04, 06:15 AM
**saving spot for my post**

sorry guys, birthday was yesterday and ive been crazy. back now il post on everything tonight but yes Gakhan would fit the ranger role very well, so if everyone else is ok with it thats where he'll be stuck.

more to come when im off work!

codexgigas
2008-06-04, 07:26 AM
@Philistine The updated history looks fine to me.

I just got off an overnight shift, so I'll update Bryce's history to match our brainstorming after I wake up this afternoon.

SilentNight
2008-06-04, 08:49 AM
Alright, great job Philistine, the new history looks good.

I updated mine (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=55416) as well. There may be a few holes but oh well.:smallsigh:
@Toliudar: Any ideas for what Kalrin and Pearl do after they leave Palanthas? I just put "adventured across Ansalon".

Annalia
2008-06-04, 11:29 AM
Well, geez, Roylkin. Happy Birthday! :smallbiggrin:

I'll be updating my background a bit later on. Like it wasn't long enough already! Also, Soap Jokes in Palanthas? They would love it to no end!

I'm sure.. I had something to say.. that was actually useful. Bah! I'll come back with it once my tiny little mind can remember!

RoylkinEarthwhispr
2008-06-04, 04:32 PM
Well, geez, Roylkin. Happy Birthday! :smallbiggrin:
!

thanks annalia!

ok so ive read through most of it, again sorry it took so long guys.

looks like pearl is the choice for leader, which since Gakhan the reclusive one (as put so gracefully lol) Maybe he took a liking to her and her idealistic attitude (so much irony from the reasons he left home in the first place)...soft spot for the human who can (in Gakhan's eyes) see less of the real world than the blind elves he left in Silvanost.

I love the idea that Hector would climb my tree, especially if a confrontation arose and somehow we ended up coming back to otiks for spiced potatoes (they are one of the main reasons Gakhan comes to Solace on a consistant basis). From there he can be introduced to the rest of the party

The big thing for Gakhan would be what he did for the 5 years. obviously return home for signs but that wont take long. he doesnt like being there so he wont wait around.

any takers for a travel companion?

Annalia
2008-06-04, 04:50 PM
Well, here's how I envision Hector's reaction upon finding another house in a tree. He would climb up to it, knock on the door and say things like "Hey, I didn't know someone lived here!", "Didn't I see you before at the Inn?" or "Did you build that house by yourself? You sure have a lot of time on your hands, but then again, you're an elf!" and he'd basically impose himself for a bit, probably to poor Gakhan's dismay. Of course, all of that is repaired by offering him those famous spiced potatoes.

And, yes, I claim red for myself. I'd always been red.

RoylkinEarthwhispr
2008-06-04, 06:33 PM
that works for me annalia!

others?

i call dark green!

SilentNight
2008-06-04, 06:38 PM
I suppose Kalrin would have met Gakhan through Hector. That sound good?

Philistine
2008-06-04, 07:04 PM
It seems likely to me that all the rest of the group met Gakhan through Hector, Gakhan being the reclusive type and not usually given to socializing overmuch.

bchilders
2008-06-04, 08:15 PM
I'll call orange.

And I'll be arriving back in town with our Keeper of Fire.

GrassyGnoll
2008-06-04, 08:33 PM
Bah, take red you forceful man you. Nevertheless a good sailor can always do with royal blue.

And I'll be arriving in town with our Keeper of Buffs.

Annalia
2008-06-04, 08:42 PM
And I'll be arriving with our.. Keeper of Soap? :smallconfused:

My background has been updated. Didn't know red would be coveted, but comfort yourself: you're an ice barbarian! Blue is just what you need!

codexgigas
2008-06-04, 08:59 PM
And I call navy. Background will be up some time tomorrow.

Toliudar
2008-06-04, 08:59 PM
Whereas Pearl sees herself in pure purple.

Annalia
2008-06-04, 09:02 PM
Pure Purple? Haha! That colour is viewed as absolute evil by most of my entourage. Funnily enough, it all started with a certain madman... in a certain tower... with a certain purple spiked-armour. Remember him, Toli? :smallwink:

Toliudar
2008-06-04, 11:25 PM
Yes, but he was...more of a lavender. Yeah. With some chartreuse highlights. Pearl's not crazy. Really!

Annalia
2008-06-04, 11:27 PM
I hope so, she's our leader!

Still. Purple is Evil. You will never convince me of something else! Heck, I'm sure soap would wash it off! :smalleek:

Philistine
2008-06-05, 12:12 AM
Is the soap good-aligned, then?

SilentNight
2008-06-05, 08:03 AM
No, it only bypasses DR as such.

I suppose Kalrin will be arriving with our fearless leader.
Since red's taken I guess I'll go with indigo.
Are we all ready to go then?

Annalia
2008-06-05, 08:46 AM
... I think we indeed are! Boy, excitement level rising up again! :smallbiggrin:

wxdruid
2008-06-05, 11:41 AM
Toliudar-Pearl Kharlas (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=15874)-The Fearless Leader
LordOfTheDucks-Lagri Firekeeper (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=55221)-The Reluctant Prophet
codexgigas-Bryce Alban (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=55418)-The Idealist
Annalia-Hector Kinder (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=112)-The Protector
SilentNightKalrin Danton-Prettyshaper (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=55416)-The Sage
Philistine-Gneiss Copperpot (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=55529)-The Dwarven Rogue
bchilders-Kiran Darkmoon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=55445)-The Mentor
RoylkinEarthwhispr-Gakhan Nightbringer (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=55480)-The Ranger

Does everyone agree with this?

Also I have as traveling companions...

Lagri Firekeeper and Kiran Darkmoon

others?

Philistine
2008-06-05, 11:46 AM
Looks good as far as I can tell.

Woohoo! Scrub, scrub, scrub, scrub that evil away!

Toliudar
2008-06-05, 11:50 AM
Looks good to me. Should make for some very interesting dynamics.

I'd like to suggest that Pearl and Kalrin roll into town together, fresh from our researches, but if that doesn't work for SilentKnight, I'm also happy to be travelling with anyone else, as desired.

codexgigas
2008-06-05, 02:46 PM
Sounds good to me.

Annalia
2008-06-05, 03:15 PM
All good to me! :smallbiggrin:

Toliudar
2008-06-05, 03:36 PM
Hmm. We can't know about the lances yet anyway.

Heroes of the Soap?
The Washbucklers?
Team Clean!

wxdruid
2008-06-05, 04:11 PM
Lagri Firekeeper and Kiran Darkmoon
Pearl and Kalrin

that leaves Bryce, Hector, Gneiss and Gakhan needing to choose their companions.....or I'll just match you up and get started?

Annalia
2008-06-05, 04:17 PM
Oh, you can just match me up, although Hector could be traveling with anyone coming from the north. If Bryce went from Solamnia, I could be with him.

Philistine
2008-06-05, 05:39 PM
I have no particular preference on this. My original thought was that Gneiss would probably have to catch short hops on coastal vessels, skipping all the way from Sancrist, around Southern Ergoth, to a port on the west coast of Abanasinia, and so would be coming into Solace from that direction. That might be the wrong direction for any of the other members of the group, though, and might result in his not meeting up with any of the others until he actually reached Solace. So... it might have been easier to find a ship making the direct run from southern Sancrist to Solamnia, and then transfer to another for the trip across the strait - this would have him coming in from the north, which seems to be a popular direction.

Hmm - where was Gakhan? If he's coming in from the west, Gneiss will stick to Plan A and head back to Solace with him, otherwise I'll figure he ran into whomever while they were both making arrangements to cross back to Abanasinia.

SilentNight
2008-06-05, 05:59 PM
I'd like to suggest that Pearl and Kalrin roll into town together, fresh from our researches, but if that doesn't work for SilentKnight, I'm also happy to be travelling with anyone else, as desired.

's all cool with me.

I vote Heroes of the Soap.:smallbiggrin:

Annalia
2008-06-05, 06:06 PM
Heroes of the Soap is the original, after all! :smallwink:

Washbuckler made me chuckle, though.

RoylkinEarthwhispr
2008-06-05, 06:27 PM
Hmm - where was Gakhan? If he's coming in from the west, Gneiss will stick to Plan A and head back to Solace with him, otherwise I'll figure he ran into whomever while they were both making arrangements to cross back to Abanasinia.

Gakhan would be traveling perceivably anywhere, still working on when. he would spend time in silvanost which id have to look at my book (not with me) for location but lets say im coming from haven (i think thats west of solace right?)

wxdruid
2008-06-05, 06:50 PM
Haven is southwest of Solace, but you'd have to go around to the south of Solace to get around Darken Wood.

Lagri Firekeeper and Kiran Darkmoon
Pearl and Kalrin
Hector and Bryce
Gakhan and Gneiss

yes? no?

Annalia
2008-06-05, 06:53 PM
Yes, yes! :smallbiggrin:

wxdruid
2008-06-05, 06:57 PM
hehe, you just want to play! Along with me. I'm looking forwards to this. I think you'll get to meet one of my favorite characters in the Tavern....(she's not from the book though)

Annalia
2008-06-05, 07:04 PM
hehe, you just want to play! Along with me. I'm looking forwards to this. I think you'll get to meet one of my favorite characters in the Tavern....(she's not from the book though)

Darn, you've found me out! Am I that obvious? :smalltongue: I am looking forward to this so much.. the more time passes by, the more small habits/expressions Hector gets. We haven't started and he's already all full of quirks!

GrassyGnoll
2008-06-05, 07:16 PM
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

Although I did have a good chuckle at a barbarian prophet. Preaching that the solution to all of life's problems is fury and pointy objects...

wxdruid
2008-06-05, 07:55 PM
Hey, it's seems logical to me...

IC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4426182#post4426182)

Annalia
2008-06-06, 11:16 AM
Nice intimidation check, Toli. I'm sure Pearl will scare them off big time with that. :smalltongue:

Barbarian prophet is indeed a silly thought when taken out of context. It doesn't fit with the whole soap theme we have going on, though!

Toliudar
2008-06-06, 11:18 AM
Perhaps an attention to hygiene was the TRUE REASON Lagri found himself an outcast among his people.

Philistine
2008-06-06, 12:32 PM
I bet that's absolutely correct, Toliudar. To take it a step further, the Real Manly Men(TM) of the Icefolk tribes would probably rather avoid bathing in the icy waters of the frozen South, because of... err... the risk of appearing to be lesser than their peers.

Hmm. I can't figure out how to do super- and subscripts here. Is there something ridiculously obvious that I'm missing?

Annalia
2008-06-06, 01:11 PM
You mean subscription to a thread? It's done by clicking on Thread Tools, up and to the right of the page (still attached to this long thing in which our post appears!). There should be a 'Subscribe to this Thread' option in there.

As for supers... whassat? :smalltongue:

Philistine
2008-06-06, 05:55 PM
Hehe. Thanks, but subscribing to a thread I can do. I was asking about superscript and subscript - which cause text to appear to be above and below the line, respectively. Like the (TM) in the previous post, which normally would be done in superscript.

Philistine
2008-06-07, 09:43 PM
Ha! Somebody's an optimist. :smallamused:

I just didn't figure we had any chance of getting in a surprise round - not with the sergeant having his hand on the signal horn already, ready to cry havoc, and the K-9 guy clearly about to let slip the dog of war. Would be nice, though.

Annalia
2008-06-07, 09:50 PM
I'm always the optimist! I ask, expecting to get refused, but figure it's worth a try. With that Bluff check, though, we sure won't get any surprise in. And I clearly won't hit, which ruins all the 'watch-me' feel. Typical! :smalltongue:

But let them cry havoc. Guards in Solace. Tchk.

Philistine
2008-06-07, 10:01 PM
Well, perhaps we can be the comedy relief, then - The Fighter Who Cannot Hit Anything, and The World's Slowest, Clumsiest Rogue.

Annalia
2008-06-07, 10:39 PM
Well, I'd be fine with it but... I'm already Comedy Relief as The Monk Who Can't Hit Anything in another game. Time for a change? Pleeease?

Hit or not, though, Hector is inevitably going to bring comedy into the game. He's definitely not an overly serious type. I wish you luck on being fast and dextrous, though. Would be nice to have, say, a functional group! :smalltongue:

SilentNight
2008-06-07, 11:06 PM
Toli: Don't think I ditched you. Sorry. Just hold on two rounds while I get up defenses and an illusion. Worst comes to worst we've got the smoking bottle.:smallsmile:

@/\:It's our very own Abbot and Costello.:smallbiggrin:

Toliudar
2008-06-08, 12:35 AM
No worries, SilentNight. This is kind of Pearl's element. I trust you to come through with the big finishing maneuver.

Philistine
2008-06-09, 03:34 PM
A functional group? Where's the fun in that?

Oh, right - the first three letters of the second word. Nevermind, sorry. I must have been thinking of something else.

Annalia
2008-06-09, 04:19 PM
Good thing the word 'fun' appears in dysfunctional too! We actually get to choose!

...

I...

I.. er... Pick Dysfunctional! :smallbiggrin:

Philistine
2008-06-09, 04:29 PM
Ah, yes! That's the something else I was thinking of!

I knew you wouldn't let me down. :smallbiggrin:

wxdruid
2008-06-10, 08:57 PM
I'll be in Utah from the 11th to the 16th, shouldn't affect my posting ability unless my mother's internet dies. So far, I'm enjoying your character's actions. Quite entertaining.

Annalia
2008-06-10, 09:03 PM
Enjoying myself a lot too. I am aware we aren't supposed to talk when it's not our turn, but heh, why ruin all the fun we're having? :smallwink:

Also, nice new avatar. Kitties for the win!

wxdruid
2008-06-10, 09:11 PM
I thought talking was a free action? :smallbiggrin:

Toliudar
2008-06-10, 09:32 PM
Free speech? Heresy.

Annalia
2008-06-10, 10:28 PM
I thought talking was a free action? :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, that's the answer I gave the one who first pointed out I could only talk on my turn. And he replied free actions were to be taken on one's turn...

I never did check that up. Time for Rule-Lawyering! (Because, seriously, who'd pass up a chance to speak whenever wanted?)

[5 Minutes Later]
EDIT!:

Speak

In general, speaking is a free action that you can perform even when it isn’t your turn. Speaking more than few sentences is generally beyond the limit of a free action.

Rock on! :smallbiggrin:

Philistine
2008-06-11, 01:11 AM
Huzzah!

Cookies for Annalia!

Chatter for all!

Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

[Ferris Bueller's Day Off]
Annalia, you're my hero.
[/Ferris Bueller's Day Off]

wxdruid
2008-06-11, 09:38 AM
I'm not a rules lawyer...Vael is. I play a lot in Town which is very freeform. I enjoy reading a reasonable amount of talking between the players. Now...if I can't find your combat post in there? Then I'll ask for everyone to tone it down. For combat...I want to see your actions/rolls/whatever it is you get extra written down, it makes it much easier for me to write the big long combat post. :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin: :smallsmile:

Annalia
2008-06-11, 10:29 PM
Hehe, I'm very much not a rule lawyer either. I look them up when it's something I believe important, or when a "What did that say already?" case arises, but I've never been bothered with winging things before.

As for the combat post... it'll always be the first I do. :smallwink:

Philistine
2008-06-12, 10:58 PM
I confess - I switched to aiding Hector from what I'd originally planned to do just because I couldn't figure out a way to write up a non-lethal attack with short sword and dagger that made sense to me. I'd think the two blades are too light, and too short, to really do much good as bludgeons; and trying to strike with the pommel would require the character to move in even closer than for an unarmed attack.

So... go Team Soap!

Annalia
2008-06-13, 12:27 AM
My usual take on this is to say the small blades aim for non-vital areas: arms, shoulders, wrists, etc. Of course, the loss of blood could become lethal, but combined with the bludgeon work we are doing, it'd do well enough to describe non-lethal dagger slashes.

GrassyGnoll
2008-06-13, 11:55 PM
Hey Annalia, I'm headed to Quebec this summer. Any locales warranting particular interest?

Annalia
2008-06-14, 12:07 AM
Hell, yes! :smallbiggrin:

Mind narrowing this down a bit? Quebec is a rather large province, and I'd have a hard time listing all that is interesting through it. Any idea if you'll be more around Quebec City itself or more in Montreal's area?

GrassyGnoll
2008-06-14, 12:12 AM
Both. But mostly Quebec City for that 400 year anniversary shindig.

Annalia
2008-06-14, 12:30 AM
Great! Travel Agencies can inform you better on Montreal, as I haven't been there often, but I've spent nearly 19 years around Quebec city (meaning, my whole life. :smallamused:)

Hm-hm.. where to start? If you are here in July (3rd to 15th, I believe), you can't miss the Summer Festival - two weeks of open-air shows for the small amount of 30$. Most of them are around the Old City, which also allows you to simply stroll in it before or after the show. Speaking of Old City, you certainly want to go down these streets: Rue Saint-Jean, Petit Champlain, Rue du Trésor. They all are moderately close to each other, and well-known to the local populace, so it's easy to ask your way to them. The first actually goes through the fortifications. :smallsmile:

There also happens to be part of the Louvres' collection in one of our museum, for rainy days. It's right next to the Abraham Plains, which would be a nice place to picnic (bring a kite if you have any).

If you have a car available and like hiking, there is a nice site half a hour north called Vallée de la Jacques Cartier, which is well-worth visiting. Also, if you haven't seen whales before, I cannot recommend enough to make the detour by Tadoussac, which is quite a bit (3 hours) northeast. There's also the Montmorency Falls on the way there, about half a hour away from Quebec City itself.

I think that gives a good idea of what is to see. I mean, there is a lot more, but that's what I can quickly think of, and what would be do-able in a few days. If you want more details, or links, or anything, feel free to PM or even directly IM me (my AIM account is on my profile, I think). Wouldn't want to turn this thread too much into a travel agency. Or to put any -come- subtle messages -to Quebec City- after all. :smallwink:

GrassyGnoll
2008-06-14, 12:40 AM
Thanks a ton. Definitely checking Old City out.


If you have a car available and like hiking, there is a nice site half a hour north called Vallée de la Jacques Cartier, which is well-worth visiting. Also, if you haven't seen whales before, I cannot recommend enough to make the detour by Tadoussac, which is quite a bit (3 hours) northeast. There's also the Montmorency Falls on the way there, about half a hour away from Quebec City itself.

No thanks. Living a scant hour from the Bay (capital "b" bay, next to that big bridge o' gold) I've had enough of whales and their migratory shenanigans to last me a lifetime.

Annalia
2008-06-14, 12:47 AM
No thanks. Living a scant hour from the Bay (capital "b" bay, next to that big bridge o' gold) I've had enough of whales and their migratory shenanigans to last me a lifetime.

Haha! Well, forget the three hours drive, then. The Falls still are close, and I heard they were putting light into them for the 400th, so that could be worth a shot too.

Old City, though. A must. Quebec is all about being old. :smallwink:

SilentNight
2008-06-14, 09:32 AM
No thanks. Living a scant hour from the Bay (capital "b" bay, next to that big bridge o' gold) I've had enough of whales and their migratory shenanigans to last me a lifetime.
If you're in the east bay, you should come to the meetup. I think it's fallen to page 2 by now though. We'd love to have you.

Philistine
2008-06-16, 08:04 AM
wxdruid:

Assuming we don't go back and change anything, was the militia sergeant KO'd when Bryce hit him? The description makes me think he is, but he still appears to be active on the initiative count. Unless I'm reading it wrong, of course.

wxdruid
2008-06-16, 10:36 AM
Yep, he's unconscious, changed it on the little initiative section.

Going back home to IL today. Back to my faster internet.

Philistine
2008-06-16, 01:23 PM
Okay, cool.

I'd prefer to let Gneiss's action stand - but then again, he didn't actually manage to do much. So I guess I'll leave it up to codexgigas to decide whether he wants a redo for Bryce or not. Then I can decide what color smokescreen Gneiss wants to try throw at the incoming, based on whether any of the road patrol are conscious and can contradict him right away. :smallbiggrin:

codexgigas
2008-06-16, 02:31 PM
I'm not going to redo Bryce's action. I mean, at this point we're screwed anyway. Not knocking the sergeant unconscious isn't really going to help us much.

Any ideas on how we're going to get out of this?

Philistine
2008-06-16, 05:48 PM
Probably not - that'd take a miracle. Most likely we'll just keep digging ourselves deeper and deeper into the hole we're in. Ain't it fun?

Luckily one of the things Gneiss did before taking up his professional career was mucking out stables, so he knows a bit about shoveling the stanky. It's just that now he has to do it in a more figurative sense...

Annalia
2008-06-16, 07:30 PM
Worry not, I will find something!

...

Yeah! Good to know neither of you are redoing actions. On to posting! :smallsmile:

SilentNight
2008-06-18, 08:09 PM
Hey all, sorry to put a damper on the party but it turns out I'll be leaving town on the 24th for about three weeks, returning on the 12th after Brain-washing little kids. I mean being a camp counselor. wxdruid said I can stay on though so I'll be back. I will miss all of you though.:smallfrown:

GrassyGnoll
2008-06-18, 09:06 PM
If you're in the east bay, you should come to the meetup. I think it's fallen to page 2 by now though. We'd love to have you.

Sorry, full up this summer. Cousins in Mexico want us to come down as well.

Philistine
2008-06-19, 07:02 PM
Hey all, sorry to put a damper on the party but it turns out I'll be leaving town on the 24th for about three weeks, returning on the 12th after Brain-washing little kids. I mean being a camp counselor. wxdruid said I can stay on though so I'll be back. I will miss all of you though.:smallfrown:

Heh, have fun with that.

Safe trip!

Annalia
2008-06-19, 08:10 PM
Aye, aye! Give those kids a good brain-wash! It's for their own good!

Annalia
2008-06-19, 08:22 PM
Aye, aye! Give those kids a good brain-wash! It's for their own good!

Philistine
2008-06-19, 08:44 PM
I made a formatting error on the Bluff roll in my IC post. I'm not sure what would happen if I try to edit that post so that it rolls correctly - it might roll, or it might just throw out that (roll0) stuff. So I'll retry here in case it's needed.

Bluff: [roll0]

Annalia
2008-06-19, 09:18 PM
Aye, aye! Give those kids a good brain-wash! It's for their own good!

GrassyGnoll
2008-06-22, 01:02 AM
Travel plans copy-paste.

Headed out to Cambria this Thursday and hanging around till Sunday so feel free to roll along without me. Might as well get my other travel plans out of the way now.

From July 14-28 I'll be visiting cousins in Mexico who will in turn be taking me along on one of their vacations. Not a big worry as they're pretty tech savvy and I'll probably hit up an internet joint every third day or so once we're on the road.

Some time around August, my family'll be flying up to Montreal for that big 400 anniversary deal. I expect the hotel will have internet, just don't expect more than one post a day.

Annalia
2008-06-22, 11:23 AM
Well, hey, if this is travel-plans time... :smallwink:

I'll be flying out from Quebec and to the United Kingdom from July 21st to August 11th. While I will have internet and may occasionally post, I heartily recommend not waiting on me. I can very much guarantee it'll be among the last thing on my mind, but I'll try to at least keep up reading.

Either way, I'll put those dates in my sig at some point, so don't get worried about forgetting. :smallsmile:

Philistine
2008-06-22, 12:30 PM
Speaking of travel plans, I'll be out of state for an as-yet unknown length of time next month for my sister's wedding. I should have at least some online access pretty much the whole time, but there may be a travel day going each direction. I can tell you more when I know more; at this point all I'm sure of is that the wedding itself is set for the 19th.

Annalia
2008-06-22, 09:45 PM
Well, well.. I think now would be a good time to point out Hector isn't planning to surrender. Not to mention I doubt either our Solamnic or dwarven friend is much inclined to it. We might have to kick their asses too. :smallamused:

To the others, sorry for the delays. What can I say, they just won't listen!

Philistine
2008-06-22, 11:18 PM
Actually... The dwarf just might, if he can get more favorable terms than "we're going to confiscate all your gear and drag you back in chains." Not that he's wildly enthusiastic about the idea, but... just a couple of minutes ago, this bunch watched us mopping up their buddies before they could intervene; they're not going to apologize for the inconvenience and tell us we can be on our way. The best outcome he's hoping for would be something like: the militia "escort" us back to town under light guard, perhaps peacebonding our weapons, and launch some sort of formal inquiry. So that's the goal he's working toward - create just enough doubt in the militiamen's minds that they drop the whole "unconditional surrender" thing they started with, in favor of going back to the comfort of Solace to sort the whole mess out. Because in his mind, simply laying down arms and going quietly under these circumstances would be tantamount to a confession of guilt, and probably would get us all hanged in short order.

Alternatively, we can (try to) whup their scruffy butts just like we did their buddies, and hope that none of us is badly hurt in the process, and that they don't have any more reinforcements nearby. Which it may yet come to: if the militia won't back off even a little, and they try to force the issue, then yes, Gneiss will fight.

codexgigas
2008-06-22, 11:39 PM
The Solamnic might too. This situation is rapidly getting completely out of hand. Bryce isn't keen on fighting the town's entire militia if he has another choice.

Annalia
2008-06-23, 10:35 AM
I thought Solamnics never surrendered. You can bet you'll hear of such a thing from Hector all game long if it happens. :smalltongue:

Remains, if you guys want to surrender, you better get them to back off a bit fast. I'm all for peaceful resolution... Hector just isn't patient. He's starting to find these guards more and more out of place, agressive and stubborn. Of course, he's seeing things from his point of view, which doesn't make great for diplomacy.

codexgigas
2008-06-23, 11:09 AM
Solamnics never surrender according to the ridiculously strict interpretation of the Measure that's currently in use... which Bryce isn't exactly a fan of. Plus, wiping out a village militia (or attempting to do so) isn't exactly upholding the high ideas of virtue that the Solamnics are supposed to be devoted to.

Still, I think Gneiss is our best bet to get us out of this mess. Bryce can't make diplomacy checks to save his life.

Annalia
2008-06-23, 11:33 AM
Hehe, yeah. With that +1 in Charisma, I probably could manage something average, but it seems to me the dwarf will have a lot more luck at it than us. It sounds like the perfect time to keep silent and let him do the work... which is exactly why I keep talking. :smallbiggrin:

Philistine
2008-06-23, 12:21 PM
Yeah, but the dwarf isn't all that diplomatic either, what with the +1 Cha mod and the non-investment in Diplomacy. Bluff, yes; Intimidate, yes; but as a diplomat Gneiss isn't likely to do any better than Hector. And since Intimidate really seems like the wrong tool for the job in this situation, Gneiss is reduced to attempting the classic "Baffle 'em with Bull" maneuver. Judging by Gneiss's Bluff checks, though, it appears that the forum die roller disapproves of this tactic. So it may well come to a fight after all.

GrassyGnoll
2008-06-23, 12:32 PM
Experts agree. Intimidate is way cooler than diplomacy.

Annalia
2008-06-23, 12:40 PM
Hmm... we could always make it clear we've knocked out the others with ease, and would easily do so with them. Problem is, we're vastly outmatched on this, and it makes us lose all credibility. :smalltongue:

Philistine
2008-06-23, 01:12 PM
There's a worse problem with Intimidate in this particular situation than the numeric odds on each side. Sure, we might be able to Intimidate this group of militia into taking a hike, but then what? Would they all run to their homes and hide under their beds until they hear we've left town again? Or would they run back to barracks, and then come back after us in an even bigger group? Even if 9 of them turtle up, the other one might be able to rouse the rest of the militia to come after us.

That's why, if we can't get the job done with Bluff (and Diplomacy, if anyone in the group was good at that :smallbiggrin:), Gneiss is willing to take his chances with fighting these 10 right here and now. We might well defeat 10; if we scare these guys off and they come back with 10 or 20 more, then we haven't really improved the situation. Also, that path seems likely to end with us taking on the entire Solace militia - which would probably be bad for business, even if we were to survive the attempt.

Annalia
2008-06-23, 01:30 PM
Indeed! Boy, the world is harsh to those wanting naught but a plate of spiced potatoes! :smalleek:

Philistine
2008-06-23, 02:28 PM
Yeah well, just you remember - Gneiss was willing to let the first group of guards search his pack for contraband until you martial types started getting all surly and generally acting like you were spoiling for a fight. If you guys could have relaxed a little, we'd probably already be sitting down to dinner. :smalltongue:

And yes, I remember that Gneiss was the first to declare an attack - but what do you expect? By that point, it didn't look like we were getting through there without a fight, so Gneiss figured it was better to try to surprise the other guys than to be surprised ourselves. (Too bad about that initiative roll - gues the forum die roller didn't like that plan, either. :smallfrown:)

RoylkinEarthwhispr
2008-06-23, 05:39 PM
if you cant tell Gakhan would much rather fight. stupid guards telling him he cant go home to his favorite spiced potatoes...and the longer this takes the more he wants to fight!

im all for an attack, but Gakhan is willing to let you bunch try to talk our way out, even with his snide remarks :smallbiggrin:

codexgigas
2008-06-23, 07:55 PM
Bryce agreed to the search... a bit to late, honestly, but he still agreed to it. I'll give diplomacy another try. I mean, Bryce has invested somewhat in diplomacy, and he does have a positive charisma modifier. If only it weren't a cross-class skill for fighters!

codexgigas
2008-06-23, 08:05 PM
Woot! Bryce finally made a decent diplomacy check!

SilentNight
2008-06-23, 10:47 PM
Well, if you cause enough of a ruckus it might catch Pearl an Kalrin's attention. They're not too roughed up.

Or, in the words of Christ's childhood friend Biff, "Smite the sons a' bitches Josh!":smallbiggrin: This will probably be my last post for quite a while so goodbye all.:smallfrown:

Philistine
2008-06-23, 11:04 PM
Seeing as we're a ways outside town yet, I can only hope we don't make enough ruckus for that!

Take care, and don't do anything I would do.

Annalia
2008-06-24, 03:56 PM
Looks like we're on our way out of this. Hopefully they won't take Hector's words as a sign the ranseur has something to hide. He just never parts with his weapon.

Philistine
2008-06-24, 04:08 PM
Something to hide? What, is it a spooooooooky ranseur or something? :smalltongue:

Annalia
2008-06-24, 04:45 PM
Oh, yes, very spoooooky. Wait till you see what I'll do with it after 6th level. :smallamused:

Still. I was more thinking of the fact they eyed it earlier. And it is made of adamantine, which is worth a lot. And has a very supple wood for its handle, so that it can be bent quite a lot without breaking (that, too, has to do with 6th-level awesomeness)

Philistine
2008-06-28, 11:51 AM
For the moment at least, and considering what the second group of militia walked in on, things seem to be going about as well as Group 2 could have hoped. So Gneiss isn't going to go trying to start any (more) trouble.

Apart from anything else, he'd be afraid that if he did start something now, Bryce would join the militia in thumping him. Silly Solamnics and their silly honor. :smallbiggrin:

SilentNight
2008-07-05, 09:27 PM
Take care, and don't do anything I would do.
Depending on what you wouldn't do it might be to late for that. Would you eat pizza, are you kosher only? You might not do anything I've done so far. But I don't know you too well so hey.

SilentNight
2008-07-06, 09:26 AM
@Toliudar:For Shame! Kalrin's 25. I'm just trying to keep our part of the game moving until the others get there.

Toliudar
2008-07-06, 10:08 AM
And Tika's, what, 17 now?

Maybe not my idea of an ideal match-up, but far from unusual in (I suspect) a majority of our own world. Any indication that this world's any different.

I got no problem with killing time. I'm just finding it hilarious that it's the paladin who's celebrating the possibility of attraction between two people, and the red robes who's calling that sick.

Philistine
2008-07-08, 09:13 PM
Go, Bryce! You can do it!

codexgigas
2008-07-08, 09:33 PM
I certainly hope so. Although I don't expect us to get off the hook easily.

Annalia
2008-07-08, 10:42 PM
Hector hot-tempered? I don't know where you got that idea from! :smallcool:

codexgigas
2008-07-09, 07:45 AM
The idea just vaguely occurred to me.

GrassyGnoll
2008-07-10, 11:00 AM
Something has popped up in Santa Barbara and I'll be there until my sojourn to Mexico. From later today until July 13th I'll probably log on only in the hotel once or twice. On July 14th I'll be back all day but preparing for a redeye flight across the border.

bchilders can pick up for Lagri in the meantime. Just keep the "inquisitive foreigner" vibe going and I'll pique in when I can get to a cafe.

wxdruid
2008-07-19, 04:10 PM
I'll wait a few days to see who's still around and who's on vacation. So please either post something in the IC thread or here. Thanks. And WHOOO HOOOO, the game is back on

codexgigas
2008-07-19, 08:40 PM
I'm still around.

SilentNight
2008-07-20, 12:09 AM
And Tika's, what, 17 now?

Maybe not my idea of an ideal match-up, but far from unusual in (I suspect) a majority of our own world. Any indication that this world's any different.

I got no problem with killing time. I'm just finding it hilarious that it's the paladin who's celebrating the possibility of attraction between two people, and the red robes who's calling that sick.
Okay, not sick but... unorthodox. Kalrin would have been a young man when Tika was just a girl. So it's a little weird. I actually think that was me talking, not Kalrin so sorry.:smallredface:

On an unrelated, sadder note, irony is a very large female dog. Seems to be the theme of my summer (long story). I get back from camp (which, by the way, was amazing for so many reasons) and the forums are down. Now that they are back up, I'm leaving for ten days for this national youth forum thingy. I don't know if I'll have internet access but it is at a university so you never know. Anyway, long story short, I will again be leaving, sorry.:smalleek:

EDIT:If anyone wants to take over Kalrin for the next week and a half that'd be awesome.

Annalia
2008-07-20, 10:13 AM
I am here, but my plane kind of leaves tomorrow. So, I might get a bit unresponsive. Like, very. :smallwink: Don't wait on me, folks!

Philistine
2008-07-20, 02:57 PM
<-- is back.

I've decided that I really need to get the a/c in the car fixed. It's amazing how persuasive a couple of 6-hour drives in 100F weather can be...

SilentNight
2008-07-21, 07:54 PM
Well, as you can probably tell, there is internet here so I'm still available.

RoylkinEarthwhispr
2008-07-22, 04:22 PM
im here, been checkin the ic post daily but just thought to check this

GrassyGnoll
2008-07-27, 11:10 PM
Back from Penasco. Hermosillo has steady internet so I'm essentially back 'cept for the 29th when I'll be flying back.

SilentNight
2008-07-29, 03:01 PM
I'm back home so posting should get regular again.

GrassyGnoll
2008-07-29, 11:51 PM
For your entertainment and posterity I have compiled a list of dangerous activities I have engaged in south of the border in order of least to most dangerous. Potential brain damage and years of therapy abound!

Drove
Ate at a marisco
Took a dip in jellyfish infested waters, after two of my cousin's friends had already been stung
Expressed a preference for Pepsi over Coke
Walked 3 miles through triple digit heat and rainy season humidity to find an Oxxo that didn't exist
Jumped off a two story boat
Ate shrimp out of a bag at a marisco
Went 45 (miles not km) in a golf cart on the freeway
Play "cart lancing" with said golf carts, it's what it sounds like
Went two weeks without calling girlfriend after that "special" date

If I'm still alive by this time tomorrow I can only assume all bleeding was external.

SilentNight
2008-07-30, 12:47 AM
Wow, my summer now feels really mundane by comparison. I give you props my friend. Congratulations.

Philistine
2008-07-31, 01:12 AM
Went two weeks without calling girlfriend after that "special" date


You really DO like to live dangerously!

bchilders
2008-08-01, 09:25 AM
Heads up....I'm moving to Germany today so I might be without internet for a few days while I settle in. Feel free to NPC me as you see fit. Thanks.

SilentNight
2008-08-02, 10:00 AM
Heads up....I'm moving to Germany today so I might be without internet for a few days while I settle in. Feel free to NPC me as you see fit. Thanks.

Where in Germany?

wxdruid
2008-08-03, 09:45 PM
In regards to Kalrin picking up his ring, Tygerlilly won't notice, if she does, she'll just shrug and go on.

For anyone-when it comes to reacquiring your belongings from her, I'm very flexible and liberal. It'll either be somewhere obvious or all you have to do is ask for it back.

Philistine
2008-08-04, 08:44 PM
Sidenote: I'm really missing Annalia right now - Hector seems to be very much the most extroverted member of the "guardfight" subgroup, and would be the natural choice to barge through the door of the Inn shouting, "Hey LucyOtik, we're ho-ome!"

Toliudar
2008-08-05, 06:28 PM
"You may not be remembering me as I did not speek ze mainlander good. Hearing yes, but only vords I vas knowing vere 'stop' un 'touch crate, take hand'"

Sheer, sheer beauty. Kudos.

SilentNight
2008-08-05, 08:43 PM
Sheer, sheer beauty. Kudos.

Seconded.:smallbiggrin:

GrassyGnoll
2008-08-06, 01:30 AM
Thank ya kindly. I work with what I got.

Edit: Hey gigas, I was browsing sheets a bit and noticed you marked your shield bonus as +5 for a +1 heavy steel shield. Variant rules or typo?

Garkhan's TAB is low, I think.

Linking Frostrager (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040911a&page=3) PrC here for future convenience. I'm really satisfied with Lagri, I like where his linguistic imbroglios could take him and the possibility that gems could be the Levi's to this Ruski. Even if I did Nounverb his last name.

Edit-alooza: What are the days of the week called in Dragonlance? Standard Gregorian fare or something else?

wxdruid
2008-08-06, 07:56 PM
Oh man, you guys make me smile and laugh every day I read your posts...It's great!

Let's see....what language do you want it in? hehe

GrassyGnoll
2008-08-06, 09:35 PM
Er, mainlander? I'll just swipe Norse days for a Kharolian calender.

codexgigas
2008-08-06, 09:41 PM
@LordoftheDucks: Variant rules, of sorts. Both Shield Specialization and Shield Focus grant a +1 bonus to shield AC.

SilentNight
2008-08-06, 09:57 PM
I really have no idea about the days but hey. I'm interested to see how you'll work the frostrager while still keeping the glaive. Oh, and I nominate LordOfTheDucks for roleplayer of the group.
@wxdruid: Are we using the moon magic variant or should I just not worry about it?

GrassyGnoll
2008-08-06, 10:33 PM
Huzzah. Oh, the customs and quirks I still have to unleash your time will come.

Well as you've noticed Lagri isn't the "ALWAYS ANGRY, ALL THE TIME" sort of barbarian and the unarmed/ice damage of frostragers isn't active normally.

codexgigas
2008-08-07, 05:55 PM
Just to let everyone know, I'll be out of town this weekend for a wedding. I'll be back Sunday night. I won't have access to the internet while I'm away, so, wxdruid, feel free to have Bryce take whatever actions you feel are appropriate.

wxdruid
2008-08-08, 06:35 PM
I think (unfortunately) I will wait to do the update til tomorrow. I'm extremely tired from a long week of stress and to much emotion.

I will be going to South Carolina sometime in early Sept and staying for 4 months. You may ask why? I'm an Air Force Weather Forecaster and I'm being 'deployed' to help them out and very suddenly I have to figure out who will take care of catlover (my daughter) and everything else while I'm gone and it involves lots and lots of paperwork and planning in a very little amount of time.

I should have internet at Shaw, after all, I'm not going over the ocean, just to another state and I'm driving, so I'm taking as many books as I need.

edit:
I will be going to GenCon08 from the evening of the 15th through the evening of the 17th.

On the 20-21st I will be in Atlanta, GA

And...from Sept to Jan I will be living in Sumter, SC. For the first two it will be very hard to post, for the third, I seriously hope I have internet so I can continue to post.

wxdruid
2008-08-10, 04:04 PM
{table="head"]Days|Ergoth|Plainsmen|Solamnic|Dwarven|Elven
Sunday|Gileadai|Friend Day|Linaras|Brenzik|Gateway
Monday|Luindai|Hunt Day|Palast|Mithrik|Bright Eye
Tuesday|Nuindai|Share Day|Majetag|Adamachtis|Night's Eye
Wednesday|Soldai|Gather Day|Kirinor|Aurachil|Dead Eye
Thursday|Manthus|Barter Day|Misham|Cuprig|Dream Dance
Friday|Shinarai|Worship Day|Bakukal|Ferramis|Winged Trade
Saturday|Boreadai|Council Day|Bracha|Agorin|World Tree
[/table]

The book does include all of the Moon magic time tables. Currently we are on Day 1, Solinari is on the second day of waning gibbous. Lunitari is on the second day, high sanction, last quarter.

SilentNight
2008-08-10, 09:26 PM
Sorry but I don't have my setting with me so I don't know exactly what that means. Thanks though.

GrassyGnoll
2008-08-11, 09:41 AM
Thanks. Intertubes are scarce in Quebec so don't expect regular replies for about four days. Just as well, Lagri is probably not in the mood to converse running away.

Philistine
2008-08-12, 02:18 AM
I don't know whether it matters, but Gneiss keeps his thieves' tool in his belt pouch, not in his backpack. Back at the guard station, when he reached toward his belt pouch but thought better of it? He was going to relax by practicing picking the low-DC lock, but changed his mind when he realized that might give any watching guards the wrong* idea about him.

Also, I love how this day just keeps getting worse for him. First the whole mess with the guards, then Lagri showing up - right in front of Pearl! - then having to go on the run... and now this blamed kender is rifling through his pack. It's not quite "worst day ever" territory for him, but if he believed in the gods he'd be pulling his cloak around right now to try and see if there was a divine "kick me" sign on his back. :smallbiggrin:

* Read as: right. What can I say? He's low on funds - if he'd been staying in Solace for any length of time he'd have had to go looking for someplace to burgle. Might even have tried to find out when and how the militia get paid, because knocking over their payroll would have been sweet, sweet revenge for all the trouble they put him through. (And the rest of the group, of course.)

wxdruid
2008-08-12, 08:54 AM
I hate to tell you...belt pouches are no problem for Tygerlilly. She's from a previous D&D game I was in. In that game, she snuck up behind a church leader bent on destroying a town, listened to their plans and waited til the leader put the map in his side pocket. She easily lifted it and snuck away without him ever noticing.

She will be very friendly and of course return things when you notice they're gone or you are free to reclaim them when she leaves them lying about. If you have any problems with Tygerlilly please let me know, but some things are just to hard to pass up for a Kender.

SilentNight
2008-08-12, 11:09 AM
She will be very friendly and of course return things when you notice they're gone or you are free to reclaim them when she leaves them lying about. If you have any problems with Tygerlilly please let me know, but some things are just to hard to pass up for a Kender.

'Tis the nature of the beast. :smallbiggrin: Go Kender.

codexgigas
2008-08-12, 06:19 PM
I have no problem with Tygerlilly as played so far. So long as she's handling mundane and useless items just as much as plot-important macguffins or our hard-won magic items, I don't foresee any problems, either. Then again, I like Kender.

wxdruid
2008-08-12, 06:25 PM
There is definitely a balance to playing a Kender, silliness mixed with fun and not driving the other players completely up the wall.

SilentNight
2008-08-12, 06:51 PM
There is definitely a balance to playing a Kender, silliness mixed with fun and not driving the other players completely up the wall.

Well, you are balancing it masterfully so congratulations.

Philistine
2008-08-12, 06:53 PM
Heh, no problem. I can even see Gneiss taking it upon himself to try and mentor Tygerlilly a bit, in hopes of helping her distinguish between good and bad times to be "handling" things. Not that I'd expect him to succeed at that, but it's something he might do. Right now, he's just a bit... frayed... but he's a practical sort, he'll adjust before long.

EDIT: That'll teach me to read the OOC thread first... I was going for "frustrated, but not angry" but it seems to have come across as "angry, and more than a bit of a jerk" instead. My bad, sorry.

SilentNight
2008-08-13, 01:50 PM
EDIT: That'll teach me to read the OOC thread first... I was going for "frustrated, but not angry" but it seems to have come across as "angry, and more than a bit of a jerk" instead. My bad, sorry.

It's all good. :smallbiggrin:

Annalia
2008-08-13, 09:36 PM
Back with you guys. For, like, the time of this post. My grandfather has just passed away, and I will be at the funerals and with family until Sunday. My apologies for the additional delays, although I'm sure you can understand this.

I miss Hector, though. Quite a lot. :smallwink:

Philistine
2008-08-13, 10:01 PM
That's always tough. My condolences.

GrassyGnoll
2008-08-14, 09:21 AM
Sorry to hear that. I was in Seattle two years ago on similar business.

Quebec has so far been a blast. All the money I didn't spend in Mexico is being lost here (9 dollars for a sandwich?!?!, madness!). Yesterday the twin emotions of shame and chafing were forced on me as I jockeyed for position on a bike trail with two septagenerians and their freakishly defined calf muscles. Tomorrow I'm heading back to Montreal to meet up with my sister. I have until then to eat all the snails, liver, "wild meats", and raw beef I can.

wxdruid
2008-08-14, 03:24 PM
I have a lot of travel plans in the near future, so I will list them out so you don't wonder about me. I will continue to post in this game to the best of my ability through this time, but please be patient.

15-18 Aug - GenCon08

20-21 Aug - Atlanta, GA

25-29 Aug - Salt Lake, UT

11 Sept - mid Jan 09 - Sumter, SC

SilentNight
2008-08-14, 06:17 PM
Gotcha, thanks. Welcome back Annalia. Sorry about your grandfather.

wxdruid
2008-08-17, 03:36 PM
I see you're headed out on the North road out of Solace. Do you have a particular destination?

My bigger maps are at home, so if you know where you're headed then I can figure the rest out tomorrow when I get home.

SilentNight
2008-08-18, 09:28 PM
"Err, zat is I know zem in Kharolian. Is rigid making translation oof some."
Yet anothe piece of ingeniousness.

@wxdruid: Seems like we're heading for Palanthas but I'm not sure.

codexgigas
2008-08-21, 10:21 PM
Just as a heads up, my posting will be erratic between now and September 10. We're switching groups of residents at my job, which means that I'll be pulling triple duty on 24-hour shifts until then, when the new residents are fully trained. Plus, I'll be moving over Labor Day weekend, which will mean that I'll probably have no internet at home for three or four days. I can currently access the site at work, but my employer likes to block any message boards that staff visit, so I don't know if that will last. I'll post as often as I can, but feel free to have Bryce take any reasonable actions if I haven't replied in a timely fashion.

wxdruid
2008-08-22, 06:43 PM
Turns out the 4 month trip to South Carolina has been cancelled. So, I'll be around the same as usual.

Annalia
2008-08-22, 09:43 PM
Huh.. that kind of sucks. For you. :smallwink:

Got to say, I love our attempts at thinking kender to get her off the road. And I'm tempted to just go Frodo's way and yell "GET OFF THE ROAD!" while desperately looking at the leafy ground. It is autumn after all, eh? :smallbiggrin:

GrassyGnoll
2008-08-23, 09:50 AM
My time in Canada is coming too an end, a shame I'll be leaving in the middle of the film festival (and 'The Bizzare" is playing the day I leave). My flight's a redeye so I'll be here tomorrow afternoon.

I think I've compiled all of Lagri's cultural quirks and miscommunications, in my head. I'll put it to writing when I feel much less lazy. Just letting you know so it doesn't feel like I'm weaving it all on the spot.
Tantalizing teaser
It's a bit pertinent that he's his parent's only son (older sister Ygritte and younger sister Gunnhild; the first speaks Common without an accent, the second not at all).

Philistine
2008-08-23, 08:42 PM
Roughly how many guards bustled past the group in the woods?

Gneiss's preference is probably going to be to stick to the woods and try the sneaking thing as long as possible anyway, but if the numbers aren't too crazy then he might be amenable to moving back onto the road for greater speed.

GrassyGnoll
2008-08-24, 04:33 PM
How long does everyone see this game lasting, both IC and out? It would be at least three months before another ice folk sail in seen in Krynn and would be an awful waste of writing to detail their social courtesies.

Annalia
2008-08-24, 04:51 PM
You mean his various accents quirks and all? I don't personally think you need to write them at all: sure, some consistency is good, but as far as I'm concern, you have that in the generalities and the vocabulary questions.

Besides, a character changes with time. Lagri's accent would most likely evolve with time and prolonged contact with mainlanders, and in three months, I'm betting his folks will think he has a weird accent anyway. That's if we even meet them.

To answer your original question, though, I'd want this game to run for as long as possible. I love Hector, I love the storyline, and I love the way our group interacts. So, forever and ever? :smallwink:

GrassyGnoll
2008-08-24, 05:22 PM
Yeah, a decided to hold off on the linguistics. Sufficed to say Lagri has obvious shortcomings with the concept of progressive tenses, implied pronouns, and prepositions.

I was considering tribal customs of trade and social conventions. How would our group know what to do if they ran into one of these floating bazaars? How would they know which to eat first, the sheep brains or intestines? And what if this all fell on a Saturday!?! Such concerns.

I don't believe I have anything penciled in for 'forever', so I'm game.

SilentNight
2008-08-24, 06:38 PM
Me too, I love the story and I'm really enjoying playing Kalrin. Not to mention this group has a really great vibe. I'll second the "forever" vote.

wxdruid
2008-08-24, 06:42 PM
Well...as long as people continue to post ... I'll do my best to be here. :smallbiggrin:

Philistine
2008-08-24, 07:04 PM
'Forever' is a long time, but I'm game to see how long this can run.

Toliudar
2008-08-25, 01:35 AM
I don't think it's actually come up in conversation, but Pearl is thinking of trying to make it to Que Shu to regroup.

Annalia
2008-08-25, 10:18 AM
It came up... once? At least from what I remember from the flurry of reading to catch up. We'll need to clean up those guards before regrouping, though. Also... who thinks they'll recognise us and regret letting us go free? :smallamused:

codexgigas
2008-08-25, 10:42 AM
Knowing our luck, probably.

wxdruid
2008-08-25, 11:37 AM
Hm...giving me more ideas? So much fun! :smalltongue:

Philistine
2008-08-25, 12:17 PM
The only mention of Que Shu I saw in the IC thread was Pearl stating that if they left Solace on the north road, they could make it look like they were heading to Que Shu. Yes, I went back and- what do you mean, I have too much time on my hands? :smalltongue:

As for the guards recognizing us - if any of them survive, then next time maybe they'll think twice before running up on people in the dark without announcing themselves. I mean, these guys really are acting like bandits, it's not just the rogue blowing smoke in an attempt to get the rest of the guards to cut us some slack this time. :smallbiggrin: Also, they've now received fair warning (which, by the way, nicely done there - I liked that on both the RP and tactical levels). So if they choose to fight, the consequences are on their own heads

Annalia
2008-08-25, 02:54 PM
Yeah, that was definitely a nice move from Bryce. Can't accuse us of being.. pro-active this time. :smallwink:

codexgigas
2008-08-25, 02:57 PM
Thanks. I really like Bryce as a character; I've never tried to play the noble-to-a-fault type before. However, I am worried that he's going to go off on some damn fool idealistic quest and get himself killed. Given the archetype he's filling, I'm pretty sure that's only a matter of time. Still, I'm going to do my best to make sure it's in a sufficiently dramatic way that puts a huge kink the the Dragonarmies' plans.

Philistine
2008-08-26, 11:58 PM
Oh, dear. I'm afraid that between Lagri and Tygerlilly, the outlook for Gneiss's continued sanity is grim, at best.

Still, Bwahahahahahahaha! Silly Northerners, thinking we could solve anything by talking.

GrassyGnoll
2008-08-27, 06:44 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

And ready action to grapple the next arm attached to the next sword that comes his way.

Touch [roll1]
Grapple [roll2]

Annalia
2008-08-27, 08:30 PM
Right, Initiative if needed. Let's hope not!

[roll0]

EDIT: Yeah.. A 3. Let's really hope not.

Philistine
2008-08-27, 08:44 PM
Right there with ya.

Go, Bryce of the Golden Tongue!

codexgigas
2008-08-28, 07:14 PM
I'm really glad that I'm suddenly able to make diplomacy checks. Remember when I couldn't?

On a logistical note, I'm moving tomorrow. I hope to have internet in at my new place on next Tuesday, but it could be Friday before I've got internet up and running again. I can still check the site at work, and I'll try and find a place with free wireless every other day or so until I've got internet up and running. I probably won't be able to post over the weekend, though. I'm moving and working 24-hr shifts Friday and Monday, so I intend to crash Saturday and Sunday.

SilentNight
2008-08-28, 07:18 PM
Woot for Bryce! Sorry if I'm coming off as unproductive, I just feel like I haven't been playing Kalrin neutral enough. Trying to fit that in.

GrassyGnoll
2008-08-28, 07:34 PM
Huzzah, Bryce.

My own adulations will not be evident from Lagri's disappointment. And no, he's not dumb. Just mistranslated on many levels.

Annalia
2008-08-28, 10:00 PM
Yeah. We'll be happy to explain to him how those men aren't thieves as well as why we shouldn't give them the staff once they, you know, can't hear us say we actually have it.

Philistine
2008-08-29, 07:01 PM
For the record, I didn't figure that Lagri was dumb (or was being played that way), just that there are cultural barriers to understanding, as they say (which is playing out very nicely). Very much the same is true with Tygerlilly - who also is not dumb, but whose frame of reference is very different from most non-kender. So particularly for Gneiss, who has a cynic's certainty that he understands How Things Work In The Real World, interactions with those two are liable to be immensely frustrating.

Toliudar
2008-08-29, 08:17 PM
Indeed. Whether wxdruid had intended for Tygerlily to be a part of the mix from the start, or if it was an accident of circumstance (or, possibly, bad judgment on Pearl's part :smallamused:), she's become an integral part of the group dynamic so far. A dynamic I'm enjoying immensely.

Annalia
2008-08-29, 08:31 PM
"So she IS chief."

That, LordoftheDucks, was priceless. I just had one of the best 5 minutes of PbP of my few years of experience, only for that single line. Thank you. :smallbiggrin:

GrassyGnoll
2008-08-29, 08:34 PM
You're welcome. Can't wait to see what I can get away with once he acquires a dictionary.

wxdruid
2008-08-29, 08:36 PM
Oh, it made me die of laughter. You guys, you kill me. I love it.

I do love Tygerlilly, I originally had her at the inn so those there wouldn't get completely bored and I do love playing a Kender, so it's very hard to resist in a DragonLance based world. One day you may find out the very amusing things she has in her own pack and someday you may meet Kethend.

Toliudar
2008-08-29, 08:41 PM
Well, if they're as much fun as Tygerlily, I'd be honoured.

Annalia
2008-08-29, 09:18 PM
I'm not sure, however, that we want to meet Kethend. She did say she was keeping his hoard. :smallamused:

SilentNight
2008-08-29, 09:46 PM
Bring on the Kender. I must say that in my short expierience with PbP this game has been aboslutely amazing.

codexgigas
2008-08-30, 01:42 AM
Just as a heads-up, I will have internet at my new place on Tuesday, so I'll be back to regular posting then. Until then, it just depends on how busy I am at work on Monday whether I'll be able to post or not.

GrassyGnoll
2008-09-03, 08:49 PM
You can expect a delay on Lagri's part. The hunting trip took, how long?, half an hour, maybe?

wxdruid
2008-09-03, 08:53 PM
He flushed the rabbit pretty quick, after that it all went downhill. So 30-45 min total.

Toliudar
2008-09-03, 09:08 PM
I'm struggling to get to know DL geography better, so if I'm missing any obvious options that the locals would know, I'm going to trust wxdruid to gracefully jab me in the ribs.

I think Palanthas is a LONG way off, but I'd be delighted to be corrected in that.

wxdruid
2008-09-04, 08:07 AM
Palanthas is a short voyage, followed by a long overseas trek, or just a long voyage around Solamnia.

SilentNight
2008-09-04, 08:09 AM
Oh, scratch that then. :smallredface:

Philistine
2008-09-04, 11:07 PM
So, on this telling of stories bit: how do we want to accomplish this? I mean, straight-up infodumping is probably the easiest way to get everyone's stories out, and also is almost certainly the fastest way to do it by a long shot. On the downside, that may feel a bit, well, non-interactive. (Other possible word choices there might be boring or un-fun).

I'm about halfway (I think) through writing up Gneiss's travelogue, hoping to finish it up tonight or tomorrow. So I figured it'd be a good time to ask if anyone else has any particular preference as to whether I reel it all off in a single tl;dr post (which is my inclination), or break it up and post a paragraph or two at a time to give everyone a chance to interject questions and comments (which is entirely doable as well).

GrassyGnoll
2008-09-04, 11:11 PM
Meh, paragraph or two a post? Lagri's stories are either one post anecdotes or epics, not much between.

Philistine
2008-09-05, 12:06 AM
Upon further reflection: it just occurred to me that breaking the story up into (probably) 5 or 6 separate posts, with delays after each one for people to respond if they wanted, would drag the process out for several days in real time. A little tough to justify, IMO, since the upshot is going to be, 'Nope, didn't find anything.' So I'll plan on going with the tl;dr infodump post.

wxdruid
2008-09-05, 05:42 AM
Hm, yes, I prefer not dragging everyone's travel stories out over 5-6 days, that would mean a month or more of it. Granted it will take a while to travel anywhere, but if we get bogged down to much, it kills the forward momentum of the game. So yes, let's hear/read them, but as Philistine says, one post or in a reasonable number of them. :smallcool:

Annalia
2008-09-05, 03:26 PM
Well, I was actually thinking we'd share stories when the opportune moment would come over. I mean, I haven't exactly chronicled Hector's adventures. I just pop up with random stories when I want, and will give a general outline of his travels once it comes up.

It seemed like a good way to keep the game running to have random, short conversations about what we did every now and then to fill out the details. I mean, we can't really expect to give in full accounts of five years of life just like that. Maybe simply spring a few stories around campfires, but otherwise...

Normal people wouldn't either anyway, no? They'd give a general account of their activities and how it was, and that's it.

Toliudar
2008-09-05, 04:17 PM
I like the idea of random stories cropping up during non-critical moments, when a player thinks of one. We can assume that it fitted into some shared mealtime or evening around a campfire.

Now, I just need to think of a few...

Annalia
2008-09-05, 06:47 PM
Aah, Hector sleeping. This will come back, and I apologize in advance for delaying every morning business that way. Feel free to make up for it in whatever way your mind can devise. :smallamused:

Philistine
2008-09-05, 06:55 PM
What do 'normal people' have to do with anything, Annalia? :smallbiggrin:

Here's what I'm thinking. First - most of our characters are on foot, so they're all moving at walking speed to whereever they end up going, and that means that they'll have lots and lots of time to kill. Storytelling seems like a likely way to pass that time. Second - I hadn't planned on giving a down-to-the-minute (or even down-to-the-month!) account of everything Gneiss did and saw over the past five years; but even a general outline, with occasional editorial commentary :smallwink:, is going to run to a long-ish post. Third and finally - the post will look long, but I'd estimate that it actually represents well under 10 minutes' worth of talking on Gneiss's part. And while I absolutely agree that's a long time for one person to ramble on in conversation, it's not so very long when considered as part of 'telling stories to pass the time on a days-long hike through the woods.'

I mean, I could boil the whole thing down to a two-sentence blurb, but where's the fun in that?

Annalia
2008-09-05, 07:14 PM
Yeah, no fun indeed. I'm guessing Hector and Gneiss' story-style (as in, what they did) are quite different, hence why they'd better go with different style to tell their tale. As far as I'm concerned, you can go wild on long posts! I don't mind a good read. :smallsmile:

codexgigas
2008-09-10, 09:39 PM
As of today, my work schedule is back to normal, which means that I should be able to resume normal posting. I'm heading out of town next week to see my parents, but I should have regular internet access at their house.

Toliudar
2008-09-12, 10:53 AM
Gneiss' question ("Is it much farther, Poppa Smurf?") is a good one, but one that I can't really answer. If we assume regular travel days rather than forced marches or the like, would Pearl have any sense of how long it's going to take them to get to North Keep. She'll be factoring in the fact that, with Gneiss, they'll be travelling half the speed she'd be used to...

Unless we can get Gneiss and Tygerlily to ride Cylla together, and the rest of us walk. I'd practically pay money to watch that. :smallsmile:

Can you help with this, wxdruid?

wxdruid
2008-09-12, 03:54 PM
You will be following an old road that goes northeast-east from Solace, through Que Kiri and north up to Crossing and North Keep.

Solace to Que Kiri - 6 hours

Solace to Crossing - 2-3 days depending on weather/etc...

Toliudar
2008-09-12, 04:16 PM
Perfect. Thanks!

wxdruid
2008-09-12, 07:20 PM
Any preference on travel?

Hum through it all? Or go slowly?

GrassyGnoll
2008-09-13, 12:36 AM
Alright so I've got Lagri's build down already (Mad Foam Rager and Improved Trip), but my last mechanical question is to what use can I put his ranks in Intimidate (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Skills_Actions.pdf)?

Are skill tricks and the duel of wills usage from Tome of Battle kosher?

codexgigas
2008-09-15, 06:27 PM
Well, it looks like my diplomacy rolls are starting to taper off again. I need to put some more ranks there now that it's a class skill.

wxdruid
2008-09-15, 06:53 PM
LordOfTheDucks, I don't think I own Tome of Battle, could you elaborate?

((sorry it took me so long to reply))

Yes, codexgigas, Bryce is not impressing the Plainsmen...

GrassyGnoll
2008-09-15, 07:04 PM
Tome of Battle's Duel of Wills rules
INTIMIDATE (CHA)
You can use this skill to participate in a duel of wills before
a fight begins.
Duel of Wills: You can confront a potential enemy in the
moments before a fight breaks out and attempt to crush his
will, while he does the same to you.
Immediately before initiative is rolled for either side, you
can instigate a duel of wills by selecting a single enemy
you are aware of within 30 feet. Only characters with
Intelligence scores of 3 or higher can engage in a duel of
wills, and the participants must be able to see one another.
You can’t attempt to instigate more than one duel of wills
per encounter.
When you instigate the duel (usually by fixing a cold, steely
stare on your opponent), your adversary can respond in one
of three ways.
Submit: The opponent takes a –2 penalty on its initiative
check and a –1 penalty on attack rolls against you on the first
round of combat.
Ignore the Challenge: If your opponent ignores your challenge
to engage in a contest of wills, make a DC 15 Intimidate check.
If you succeed, you gain a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls
against that opponent for 1 round.
Participate: Both you and your chosen foe must make an
Intimidate check. The character with the higher result gains
a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls against
the loser, and the loser takes a –1 penalty on attack rolls and
damage rolls against the winner. If the result is a tie, neither
character gains any benefit. These bonuses and penalties last
for the duration of the encounter.
Action: None. Instigating a duel of wills requires no action
and occurs before initiative is rolled.
Try Again: No, but you can instigate a second duel of wills
with the same target after 24 hours have passed.

Skill tricks are Complete Scoundrel fair, I'll need to look it up at the library before I get back to you.

wxdruid
2008-09-15, 07:22 PM
Duel of Wills seems like fun, sure, but you'll have to remind me of how it works when you use it.

Philistine
2008-09-15, 07:44 PM
Hot Diggity! The dorf is smooooth this afternoon!

Also, I'd almost forgotten how to roll on the forum, it'd been so long. :smallbiggrin: That's not in any way a complaint, by the way.

Annalia
2008-09-16, 08:20 PM
Boy, I love Lagri. :smallbiggrin: Between him and Hector's impulsiveness, I don't see us avoid many fights with Diplomacy!

Toliudar
2008-09-16, 08:26 PM
I agree. Lagri is absolutely priceless!