PDA

View Full Version : cool encounters

quiet1mi
2008-06-02, 05:05 PM
lets see who can come up with the coolest,or weirdest encounters for a ECL party...

1 vampire with levels in beguiler (of course) vs 4 lvl 10 characters the catch, they are in a "fun"house filled with mirrors

vampires do not have reflections

FlyMolo
2008-06-02, 06:03 PM
A minotaur labyrinth, with Maze traps. Minotaurs are immune, so it's all good.

Illusory floors. Only the mages make their will saves and fall through. Split the party up, much?

Sir_Elderberry
2008-06-02, 06:05 PM
A minotaur labyrinth, with Maze traps. Minotaurs are immune, so it's all good.

Fixed. (Zampano would be one hell of a DM.)

quiet1mi
2008-06-02, 06:07 PM
illusionary floors are illusions covering a pit - everyone falls through... it is just the mage has a chance to disbelieve it if he interacts with it...

monty
2008-06-02, 06:21 PM
lets see who can come up with the coolest,or weirdest encounters for a ECL party...

1 vampire with levels in beguiler (of course) vs 4 lvl 10 characters the catch, they are in a "fun"house filled with mirrors

vampires do not have reflections

Do you read Dr. McNinja, or is that just a coincidence? (the latest strip involved pretty much exactly what you described)

quiet1mi
2008-06-02, 06:44 PM
wow! pure coincidence...I was looking through the MM with my friend the other day and he wanted to play as a vampire spawn [from the libris mortis] I showed him the vampire weaknesses and quirks along with how easy he could be spotted... he declined the vampire idea because he thought vampires were lame and useless because people can't see their reflections in the mirror.So if a commoner could find out he was a vampire,despite any illusions,enchantments,or any preparations with a 5gp mirror than what's the point.

I thought I would use the idea to fuel an interesting encounter with a mirror filled room and a minor vampire villain with levels of beguiler for illusionary mirors or walls...

ahzreal
2008-06-02, 08:11 PM
This is one that I did, and the adventurers pretty much hated, but I thought it was pretty cool:

Okay, on the inside of a huge, square, tower, with a staircase that goes along the inside walls with landings at the corners. Party starts at the bottom, and there are arrow demons every few landings. XD It's pretty difficult, but not really impossible.

Oh, and one time, I filled a treasury with cursed items. ^_^ The treasury was right before the boss-dude, too! :P

I dunno.. I'm pretty much like Glados when it comes to Dm-ing. >:D

nobodylovesyou4
2008-06-02, 08:36 PM
i tried to DM once, but it didnt quite work out. mostly because i came up with all sorts of encounters, but no way to tie them together.

first off, i had a pyramid, typical egyptian thing. if you enter in the front entrance, its a room with an altar and 3 paths branching off. the paths all lead to a magical maze, filled with a finite amount of monsters (its purposely finite so the PC's cant grind in there). there is no treasure in this place. the REAL entrance is up the side of the pyramid in a secret door. when they enter in, they see a long hallway, ending in a large treasure room. among the various treasures is a golden throne, which seats a golden statue of the pharoah. when they approach the treasure, the statue (which is really a mummy in full plate armor) stands up, and seems to show off his riches. if any attempts are made to steal them, he attacks. behind his throne is a secret treasure room, containing a legacy weapon.

second idea: the adventurers are progressing through an elven forest. along their path, they find a line of trees all burnt out, traveling parallel to the path they are on. following it, they come to an elf village being ravaged by dragonspawn. among them can be seen a samurai clad in red and gold armor, carrying flaming swords and leaving fire in his wake. the party follows him and his dragons, from village to village, battling them along the way, until he finally burns down a moderate city. he flees into a multi story building, up to the top. he removes his helm to reveal that he is a half dragon, and the fight insues. as the fight rages on, the floor falls out from below the adventurers as the building burns down. eventually, he dies, and all the fires go out. however, the adventurers must still escape from the building.

third idea is more of a campaign idea: up north, in the arctic circle, is an old city that recently fell to the undead. it is ruled over by a powerful lich who sits up there, doing seemingly nothing. when the adventurers finally go there, the undead there take them to their king, saying he wants to meet them and that he has been watching them. he turns out to be Vecna, who requests the party's help. he says that underneath the city, mindflayers have set up a base. the undead have managed to hold them back and keep them from taking the city, but Vecna knows their secret - they have a means to destroy the sun itself. he does not reveal what, but he says that the party must defeat the illithids and save his city. if they refuse, he reminds them of what will happen if they DONT defeat the illithids. the party progresses into the compound, fighting and killing mindflayers. along the way they notice barrels full of strange, unidentifiable substances. when they reac the final chamber, the mindflayer leader fights them, and when he is beaten, he hits a button on the control panel before he dies. a large aquarium rises from the floor to reveal an elder brain, who claims to be Gleemax. gleemax explains that the substance in the barrels was a psionic amplifier, and that using it he will destroy the sun and all life with it. the adventurers must find a way to stop him, kill gleemax, and save the world from the mindflayers.

PHEW, those are just a few that i came up with. i had more, i think, but damnit, this took forever to type. ill see what else i can do if you want more.

Enlong
2008-06-02, 09:04 PM
Spoilered so that the people in my desert campaign don't read.

OK, so we have a big ol' labyrinth, right? Filled up with magical fog so it's hard to see any good distance. Throughout the maze are little alcoves, turns and dead ends inhabited by gelatinous cubes. Make a wrong turn and... slurp. Oh, I do so hope they try and split up when I put them through it.

FlyMolo
2008-06-02, 09:29 PM
Spoilered so that the people in my desert campaign don't read.

OK, so we have a big ol' labyrinth, right? Filled up with magical fog so it's hard to see any good distance. Throughout the maze are little alcoves, turns and dead ends inhabited by gelatinous cubes. Make a wrong turn and... slurp. Oh, I do so hope they try and split up when I put them through it.

That is EVIL. Although, there are tales of the 2 mile square dungeon where all the walls are invisible Walls of Force except the illusory ones. Some are layered, and illusory pit traps, and real pit traps. Etc. Etc. In three dimensions. Yeah, nasty. If you add gravity traps and water features, you should just kill yourself.

Enlong
2008-06-02, 09:45 PM
That is EVIL. Although, there are tales of the 2 mile square dungeon where all the walls are invisible Walls of Force except the illusory ones. Some are layered, and illusory pit traps, and real pit traps. Etc. Etc. In three dimensions. Yeah, nasty. If you add gravity traps and water features, you should just kill yourself.EVIL!
Oh! Combine the water features with the gravity traps.

"Water doesn't flow up!"

Also, that reminds me of my favorite hypothetical escape strategy for a sorcerer. You run down a corridor away from your perusers, and throw up a Prismatic Wall. Then you throw up a Silent Image of a Prismatic Wall, with a real Prismatic Wall behind it. Then you put two Silent Images of Prismatic walls behind each other, then a real Prismatic Wall, then a Wall of Force behind and infront of a Silent Image Prismatic Wall. Etc. Makes for an awesome escape.

Oh, and you don't even want to hear my strategy for guarding one's phylactery.

FlyMolo
2008-06-02, 11:35 PM
I'm aiding you in perfecting it on the other thread. The moon makes everything better.

And incorporeal undead.