PDA

View Full Version : Penny Arcade Adventures, whats your opinion?

TheSorrow
2008-06-02, 08:37 PM
I am talking about the recently released game called Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

I bought this game on Xbox live and found it very good. It added humor and new elements to a RPG style game as well as bringing back the point and click style adventures to the modern age. Though on the Xbox you move around your character with the analog sticks. But nevermind that, the game is filled bizarre characters and silly items. Best twenty dollar game I have ever played. And you should buy it because it is indeed worth it. It can be purchased at the website www.playgreenhouse.com so buy it now.

But really I want to know what you think of it even if you have'nt played it. Such as your initial reaction to it.

warty goblin
2008-06-02, 09:29 PM
Definately one of the better gaming purchases I have made. I'm currently about halfway through it for the second time (progress somewhat postponed due to Mass Effect coming out) as the rediculously outfitted Prof. Tatersly, and am trying with almost unholy zeal to max out Overkill on all the characters, if only because seeing evil zombie hoboes get punched so hard they explode cannot ever be a bad thing. Also because doing so allows me to punch evil clowns into componant body parts with greater acumen.

One of the things I really liked about the game was that the foes really did force tactical variety what with their varied resistances. I couldn't just rely on the same old set of attack patterns, which I find to be a major problem with a lot of RPGs. Enter room, fireball, fireball, advance meatshields, dole out healing, fireball, loot and move on. Bada-bing. Sometimes there'll be an enemy with fire immunity, and thus it is time to break out the ice rays. PAA nicely avoids this by keeping the number of attacks low, but making the primary resource time, thus drastically altering the use of a character based on the enemy. Example A would of course be the hobos, who are almost completely resistant to Gabe's punches, but are vulnerable to firearms. Thus it is most effective to use Gabe as an interrupt so Tycho can keep sprayin' lead in peace- Gabe is not useless by any means, his use has just shifted from damage dealer to initiative maintainer. Far more tactically interesting than switching from fire based attacks to ice based attacks...

Dryken
2008-06-03, 02:04 AM
I'm afraid I don't have much to add to this, since I only played the ddemo and plan on buying the actual game soon. But I'm a person who really hates playing RPG games and yet I found that this game was a really wonderful play. It didn't take itself seriously and was just fun to play. Not to mention the dialoug is pure gold.

"I noticed that your mouth was agape."
"Agape?"
"It means open."
"Know what else means open? Open."

SilverSheriff
2008-06-03, 02:17 AM
I was just talking about this with a person over my Messenger client, I told him I wasn't interested in talking about it because I personally don't like the comic and he called me a retard.:mad:

The worst thing for a webcomic to do is make a video game.

Jube
2008-06-03, 02:24 AM
I was just talking about this with a person over my Messenger client, I told him I wasn't interested in talking about it because I personally don't like the comic and he called me a retard.:mad:

The worst thing for a webcomic to do is make a video game.

Why?

It's a great game, well written, well scripted and with very enjoyable playing mechanics. You can enjoy it even if you don't like the Comic, it's a fantastic game.

So why's it a bad idea for a webcomic to make a video game? XD

SilverSheriff
2008-06-03, 02:29 AM
Why?

It's a great game, well written, well scripted and with very enjoyable playing mechanics. You can enjoy it even if you don't like the Comic, it's a fantastic game.

So why's it a bad idea for a webcomic to make a video game? XD

Because it just seams that they are trying to hard with making a video game.
I mean, if I created a Youtube video hit I wouldn't make a Video Game on it.

The comic isn't even funny anyway...

Attilargh
2008-06-03, 02:39 AM
I would totally play Human Space Invaders (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VczbbiRmDik).

Jibar
2008-06-03, 02:45 AM

But... they're like the only webcomic who has made a video game.
And besides that, they've had several trade paperbacks, tons of merchandise, trading cards, been ranked as internet celebraties, started a charity...

Saying they're trying too hard is just kinda silly. At this point making a movie would just be expected.

Jube
2008-06-03, 03:44 AM

Trying to hard? What, are you still in college or something? I haven't heard that insult since I went to Uni =\. Achievement isn't something that should be looked down on because it took effort, the game is a really good game. It revitalizes and improved a lot of old formulae, it's brilliantly written, it's quirky, it's fun... Hell you beat mimes and hobos to death WITH A RAKE!

You follow the dark orders of a Fortune teller machine! You have to conquer the god of Mimes! You watch a man pee on a scale replica of a ferris wheel!

It's one'a the few games that's ever made me actually laugh out loud, even if you don't like the comic it's still hillarious. The only difference is you won't find it cool to team up with Gabe and Tycho to save the day.

Just because you say it doesn't make it true.
Although it should be noted that if you don't find http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/5/28/ or http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/4/11/ funny then you're a bad person.

SilverSheriff
2008-06-03, 03:56 AM
Just because you say it doesn't make it true.
Although it should be noted that if you don't find http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/5/28/ or http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/4/11/ funny then you're a bad person.

I'm a bad person.

Tom_Violence
2008-06-03, 04:36 AM
Almost certainly not the best examples of strips there to demonstrate Penny Arcade's greatness, but oh well.

Personally, I think its an awesome game, and Mr Black Pants is perhaps best ignored, if only for demonstrating why some people shouldn't be allowed 'opinions'. Learn to make sense first buddy.

Jube
2008-06-03, 04:42 AM
Almost certainly not the best examples of strips there to demonstrate Penny Arcade's greatness, but oh well.

Personally, I think its an awesome game, and Mr Black Pants is perhaps best ignored, if only for demonstrating why some people shouldn't be allowed 'opinions'. Learn to make sense first buddy.

Perhaps not, the second one I suppose is only really funny if you're already aware of the rest of the arc. However they were among the ones on the top of my PA folder and thus the first selected. Regardless, I agree.

LBO
2008-06-03, 04:47 AM
I'll be sampling it as soon as I get back the $120 PA ripped me off for.

Jube
2008-06-03, 05:26 AM
I'll be sampling it as soon as I get back the $120 PA ripped me off for.

o.O
Explain? What happened to ya?

TheSorrow
2008-06-03, 05:48 AM
yes do explain how they stole $120 from you.

meanwhile about the game I also found the combat rhythm like, and clever. Not to mention support characters that make it even better. Like fuschia, who has the enough Rainbow power to blast the earth. Its things like that and the dialogue that make it so good.

Riva
2008-06-03, 07:51 AM
Played the demo, freakin' amazing.

Black_Pants can have his opinion, even if it seems to be based off a knee jerk reaction.

Seriously, trying too hard?

BRC
2008-06-03, 10:02 AM

Trying too hard at what may I ask.
Your perfectally entitled to your opinion, it just confuses me. Do you dislike it on principle, that two guys who make fun of video games now made a video game? Do you think it's just a publicity stunt or somthing? What are they "Trying too hard" to do?

Revlid
2008-06-03, 10:44 AM

I'm sorry, normally I view this as being pedantic and straw-manny, but it has to be done: That's just your opinion. The opinion of the people who visit it everyday, who buy enough merchandise to have the comic be their livelihood, who donate to their charity, who have put it up as the No.1 Most Popular Webcomic on the Web (traffic-data fact - it has more than twice as many hits per day as the second-most-popular), who have given it multiple awards and made Gabe and Tycho internet celebrities - they apparently think it's pretty funny.

Besides, it's not even a 'Game of the Webcomic'. It's a game that uses a similar brand of humour, the same art style, and has the two main characters in it. No mention is likely to be made of nerd-culture or videogaming, outside of deliberate fourth-wall breakage.

No, but if Rich Burlew decided to make a game of OotS, would you object?

mentatzarkon
2008-06-03, 11:34 AM
I have only seen the demo, but I went into it with the attitude of "I'm going to hate this" and I was pleasantly surprised to totally love it! It's smart, funny and totally satirical while still maintaining the feel of something like an old-school Sierra adventure game crossed with Mario RPG. Also, fruit bleeper. That little dude just doesn't stop being hilarious...
Anyway, also on the subject of webcomic based videogames, Strongbad's making one. It will probably be awesome.