PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions to fill out a 4e Adventure

Tough_Tonka
2008-06-02, 09:21 PM
While reading Sharn City of Towers, I came up with an interest city adventure.

Here's the premise:

The Brelish Museum of Art has just acquired a new piece of ancient artwork from Xen'drik. It is a large bronze statue of Khyber and Siberys fighting over a large (fist-size) dragon shard. The Siberys is surround by number of small true dragons on the top and the base is Khyber is depicted as a large wingless dragon surrounded by small wingless dragon-kin.

When placing in a display room one of the teamsters accidentally dropped the large statue, cracking the dragon shard slightly and activating a defense mechanism. Afterwards the small dragon statues came to life along with the dragon-kin statues and started attacking everyone in the building. I plan to use the homonculi in the monster manuel (the clay scout for the flying dragon statues and the iron defender for the wingless statues).

Any way, everyone that can leaves the building and the owner puts it on lock down. With only days away from a big opening the manager needs to get this situation dealt with as quickly and silently as possible. So he sends an assistant to find help, i.e. the PCs.

The premise sounds fun but I've only come up with a few encounters:

1. PCs deal with the Kyhber spawn statues (Iron defenders)

2. PCs deal with the Flying statues (Clay Scouts)

3. PCs help workers trapped inside the building. (1 trapped under a large statue, 1 has gone crazy and locked himself up in an closet or something)

I feel like I should have a few more types of encounters. I'm also trying to decide what so special about the shard there protecting, I'm probably going to have it holding a monster. Any ideas?

Keep in mind this is a 4e, lv 1-2 adventure.

JaxGaret
2008-06-02, 09:26 PM
You forgot Warforged, hello! :smallsmile:

Tough_Tonka
2008-06-02, 09:35 PM
You forgot Warforged, hello! :smallsmile:
:confused:???
Use them as monsters or have one of the employees be a Warforged?

JaxGaret
2008-06-02, 09:49 PM
:confused:???
Use them as monsters or have one of the employees be a Warforged?

How about both?

RTGoodman
2008-06-02, 10:00 PM
Well, you could always throw in a skill encounter or whatever they're called, and at least one trap for the Rogue and maybe others. Say after they've defeated the first hoard of critters, they realize the museum or whatever is in disarray, and they have to use the 4E version of Knowledges (History? Religion? Arcane?) and perhaps some Perception or Acrobatics to put it all right again. Think "Night at the Museum," if you've seen that movie.

Near the end, maybe make the shard itself a fire trap of some sort, or something like that. When it's disabled or activates for the third time or something, the two dragons manifest some summoned versions of themselves. I don't have the MM, so I don't know what stats to use, but Khyber could be a Kruthik adult (it's in KotS, so I assume it's in the MM) as a level 4 Brute with some Kruthik Hatchling minions, and for Siberys maybe something more like a true dragon.

kme
2008-06-03, 04:53 AM
You can also complicate things a little. For example, the guy who set the trap off may have done that intentionally.He could be sent by some collector who faked those statues and put them in museum trough his connections. He did so in order to create a diversion to steal some other art object, or maybe the statues were not faked, but he learned about the trap and sent his agent to steal the shard.

Of course, when PCs deal with animated statues, someone comes and accuses them of stealing the object that is now in the hands of collector. They have to run, then catch the agent, after that they learn about the collector and have to deal with him.

Xefas
2008-06-03, 06:37 AM
How about another Adventuring party who was also hired to solve the situation? They're an unsavory lot and aren't above eliminating the competition, especially when they can blame the PCs deaths on the rampaging monsters.

Or, similarly, how about a group of thieves (or one really strong Solo Thief) who decides to break in and loot at their leisure while the place is closed down?

Grug
2008-06-03, 07:08 AM
Have the dragonshard randomly cast Animate Object (or the 4e equivalent) on various art objects. Perhpas a large animated object could be the final boss.