PDA

View Full Version : Some good Adventure recomendations?

Ghal Marak
2008-06-02, 11:18 PM
Greetings!

I recently purchased the stand-alone adventure Scourge of the Howling Horde and I've got to say, so far I like it. It's simple and easy on a prospective DM such as myself. Anyway, to my question.

Is there any other stand-alone's that are simple and fun? I've heard that both The Shattered gates fo Slaughterguard and Expedition to Undermountain were pretty good, but I'd like to hear more about them before I buy them.

So, thoughts on stand-alone adventures?

monty
2008-06-02, 11:21 PM
I'm actually in the middle of Expedition to Undermountain as a player right now, and it's lots of fun. One thing to remember about premade adventures, though, is that you have to figure out how to make the players go through the plot the way you want them to without railroading. My DM told us that he had to make stuff up at several points because we were being stupid and came close to ruining the plot.

Ghal Marak
2008-06-03, 12:12 AM
Yeah, I figured that I would have to do something like that. So Undermountain is indeed a good buy? Hmm... What level does it start the PC's off at?

Chronicled
2008-06-03, 12:22 AM
Red Hand of Doom. I'm in the early stages in an excruciatingly slow moving PbP game, but it's good so far. I've heard on this board more than once that it's one of the best modules for 3.5, bar none.

Blanks
2008-06-03, 02:57 AM
Yeah, I figured that I would have to do something like that. So Undermountain is indeed a good buy? Hmm... What level does it start the PC's off at?
I have "Ruins of undermountain" 2E and its crap. Don't know if its the same...
I would say that the easiest adventure to DM is the one you made yourself. Its actually not very hard and there are lot of playgrounders here to help you :)

KillianHawkeye
2008-06-03, 07:07 AM
Seconded for Red Hand of Doom.

I'm DMing it now, and it's a great adventure. Starts at level 5 or 6, and I think goes through 12. It's maybe not a typical adventure, in that there's more than just dungeoncrawling in it. There are several wilderness locations, a big city battle, and yes there are a couple of dungeons. The plotline is somewhat epic, with dragons and a huge army coming to destroy everything in their path.

Some of the things I really like about it are: 1) It's well written. And it gives some suggestions about what to do when your players do X, or go out of order. 2) It makes use of a lot of splatbook material in a very sensible manner, and without requiring you to actually own said splatbooks. 3) It has almost all the enemy stat blocks in one location for easy reference. The info is reproduced in the web enhancement, so you can download it and have them all printed out. 4) DOOOOOM!!!!1!1

Also, I always really liked Tiamat as an evil deity.

Jarlax
2008-06-03, 07:44 AM
i did a full run of Expedition to undermountain. its a quality product but a few things to keep in mind.

1) its HARD. its supposed to be but thats beside the point. i ran this with a double size group. around 8 people. and didn't increase the number of monsters for any of the encounters and is was still challenging. so fair warning if your players are not sensible and don't have a balanced group. they are gonna pay.

2) there is an item in the game, its a maguffin of sorts, a ring that allows among other things, antimagic aura as a standard action as many times a day as you like. my advice it to remove it as a clever player can destroy a significant amount of the encounters while wearing it T_T.

3) despite 1 and 2 my players did enjoy the game and it was certainly the book that sold me on the concept of premade adventures.