PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Dungeonborn

Vadin
2008-06-03, 03:36 AM
Someone in a thread on WotC said something about already having Dragonborn, but wanting to play a Dungeonborn, so...

Behold! The Dungeonborn.

Dungeonborn
Born of man and stone, these pariahs stalk the depths, waiting and watching, always on the lookout for adventurers- as company or a light snack.
Ability Scores: +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence
Size: Medium
Speed: 5 squares
Vision: Darkvision
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Languages: Common and one other
Skill Bonuses: +2 Stealth, +2 Dungeoneering
Bonus Feat: You gain a bonus feat.
Check Your Neighbor: The DCs to discern information about monsters is reduced by -5 when using a skill you are trained in.
Speak With Traps: Pick one of the following skills at character creation: Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate. When you discover a trap, you can make a check with this skill to convince it to let you safely past. The check DC is 19 + the trap's level. You may only make one check per trap per encounter, and the trap will only ignore you; not your companions.

Trapspawn
Dungeonborn Racial Power
Your stony arm temporarily extends, pushing back those in your way.
Encounter
Standard Action
Close Burst 1
Target: One enemy within burst
Attack: Constitution or Intelligence +2 vs. Reflex
At 11th level, increase this bonus to +4, and to +6 at 21st level.
Effect: Push the target 2 squares in a straight line. If this movement is blocked and cannot be completed in a straight line, the target takes 1d6 damage per square left unmoved.
Increase the damage per square to 2d6 at 11th level and 3d6 at 21st level.
Special: When you create your character, choose Intelligence or Constitution as the ability score you use when making attack rolls with this power. This choice remains throughout your character’s life and does not change the power’s other effects.

Vadin
2008-06-04, 11:20 PM
<An update bump, perhaps?>

Squash Monster
2008-06-06, 01:05 AM
I really like the dungeonborn idea; it's the perfect compliment to the dragonborn. However, some of the execution gives me pause.

I don't like how Fold Into Stone works; one of the things that the developers of 4E really tried to do was to avoid situational bonuses that greatly effect the usefulness of your character, like sneak attack immunities and such. And I agree with them, this is a good move. Dungeonborn are gimped when Fold Into Stone can't be used, and a bit too good when it can. The fact that this might average out to be even doesn't make it balanced; it's actually always unbalanced, even if that unbalance switches between being strong and being weak.

The other part that worries me is the Trapspawn ability. It scales up in power far more than other racial abilities. Just being a minor action is enough to make it always useful.

Don't get me wrong though, I think the whole concept is just plain awesome, I'd just like to see it more balanced and useable. If it helps, I could post my own take on a "Dungeonborn" concept, but only if you promise to cannibalize it for ideas instead of treating it as a replacement for yours.

Vadin
2008-06-06, 01:50 AM
Feel free. I actually thought I'd changed Trapspawn from a minor to standard action. Whoops! And instead of fold into stone, I'm thinking of giving them an ability that reduces the DCs to discern monster information by -5.

Squash Monster
2008-06-06, 02:52 AM
This is largely based around the humor of the concept. I think it works, balance-wise, but the abilities are so quirky that I really can't honestly tell you. Still, this should give you plenty of material to pull from for a more sane implementation of the concept.

Dungeonborn
The physical manifestation of the spirit of a dungeon, it is only natural that you enter a profession such as adventuring which gives you an excuse to spend time where you feel at home.
Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Constitution
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Darkvision

Languages: Common, choice of one other
Skill Bonuses: +2 Dungeoneering, +2 History
Speak With Traps: Pick one of the following skills at character creation: Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate. When you discover a trap, you can make a check with this skill to convince it to let you safely past. The check DC is 19 + the trap's level. You only may make one check per trap per encounter, and the trap will only ignore you; not your companions.
Random Encounter: You may use the random encounter power as a daily power.

Random Encounter - Dungeonborn Racial Power
Daily
Minor Action - Area burst 1 within 20 squares and farther than 10 squares away
Targets: All empty squares in area
Effect: Creatures appropriate to your current region wander into the area and decide to fight on your side. Place a wandering monster (see below, x = your level) in each target square. These creatures act immediately after you in initiative order, and are under your control. After the end of the encounter or five minutes any remaining wandering monsters wander away from lack of interest.

Wandering Monster - Level x Minion
Medium
Initiative N/A - Senses N/A
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion
AC 12 + x; Fortitude 10 + x, Reflex 10 + x, Will 10 + x
Speed 6
Melee Attack (standard; at-will)
+12 + x vs AC; 4 damage + 1 per 5 x (5 at x=5, 6 at x=10, and so on)

Vadin
2008-06-06, 10:19 AM
I like speak with traps. If'n you don't mind, I'ma gonna steal that. The racial power seems a bit much, though.

Also, I'm not sure why I didn't give them darkvision like yours have. Also a dungeoneering bonus (I mean, seriously, how did I not add that?).

Excellent help, sir.

alchemyprime
2008-10-17, 03:12 PM
Dude! I knew someone smart made this! I just forgot who it was when I first saw this!

Stealing...

and will work on MY homebrew I need to do. Trust me,

Vadin
2008-10-17, 03:19 PM
Lords of Creation, First IC thread, word 12. Did you mean 'swan' or 'swam'?

And thank you! Praise is ever so welcome.

I really do need to do some more 4e homebrewing at some point. Maybe a class? Hmm...