PDA

View Full Version : Other Bo9S type PrCs?

Meat Shield
2008-06-03, 01:02 PM
Has anyone tried to create other PrCs like the Shadow Sun Ninja, a blending of monk and shadow sun swordsage? I have a character I want to play that is a unarmed swordsage with a couple levels of monk who would be perfect for the SSN, but he is a happy, bright character - the whole 'child of darkness' vibe the SSN has is completely foreign to the character. If anything, a desert wind/setting sun combo monk PrC (he is flighty, unpredictable, quick, and not dark and moody) would be best. Any ideas?

elliott20
2008-06-03, 01:10 PM
don't think there's a PrC for it. But really, do you really need a PrC for it? what exactly are you after with the PrC? is there a specific ability you're hunting for? cuz otherwise, I would just do it with fluff.

Meat Shield
2008-06-03, 01:27 PM
The problem with the Shadow Sun Ninja is that all the class abilities derive from being able to touch the plane of shadow and have inner demons and slinking around everywhere, eventually turning in to a shadow, eminating dark energy, etc. If anything, the character is closer to Jackie Chan in Forbidden Kingdom than anything (minus the drinking all the time). No shadow powers needed or wanted.

elliott20
2008-06-03, 03:42 PM
well yeah, I get that. but is your reasoning for wanting this PrC? what part is it that you're gunning for?

MammonAzrael
2008-06-03, 03:57 PM
Indeed, why do you want a PrC at all? Just use the Unarmed Swordsage variant, found on page 20 under Adaptation.

Otherwise you'll need to be a lot clearer on what you want out of the PrC.

Meat Shield
2008-06-03, 09:59 PM
What I want is the double progression of initiator levels and maneuvers at the same time as progression in monk abilities (movement, AC, flurry, etc), but not in a class that makes me an uber-emo character.

JaxGaret
2008-06-03, 10:00 PM
Take the Shadow Sun Ninja, rename it the Sun Ninja, and edit the class to fit your flavor.

MeklorIlavator
2008-06-03, 10:06 PM
Unfortunately, that kinda takes out half of the abilities of the class(or else makes it completely ridiculous). It would be easier/more consistent to simply make a different class.

elliott20
2008-06-04, 09:09 AM
Indeed, the SSN prc is one of those rare cases where the fluff is actually tied pretty well to the mechanics of the class, and editing out the half of the abilities would kind of invalidate the whole class.

if you want a PrC that gives you IL progression as well as monk abilities progression, I would say use a different martial adept PrC as a base, and then ask your GM if you can just trade out an ability or two for the monk abilities. that would seem like a decent compromise to me.

Meat Shield
2008-06-04, 10:08 AM
if you want a PrC that gives you IL progression as well as monk abilities progression, I would say use a different martial adept PrC as a base, and then ask your GM if you can just trade out an ability or two for the monk abilities. that would seem like a decent compromise to me.

Thats what I was planning, but I was looking for specific ideas or even if someone has done it already.

I was thinking about keeping all the monk progression it gives and the maneuver progression it gives, stripping out the class abilities, and adding in items from the drunken master and thief-acrobat - specific abilities to be determined still. Any suggestions and progression anyone?

elliott20
2008-06-04, 10:20 AM
well, it will depend entirely upon your GMs approval on this one, but I'm going to just list all of the big ticket items you want:

1. unarmed damage progression
2. monk AC progression
3. running speed
4. IL progression
5. flurry
6. skill points
7. style specific definition

2-4 are the essentials of your class as 1, and 5-7 you can replicate through other RAW means. (The less wildly different you make this, the more likely your GM is going to go along with it, I think)

1 do it through unarmed SS variant, suppliment with superior unarmed strike and improve natural weapon if you need
5 tiger claw discipline has a bunch of maneuvers that gives you extra attack, not to mention a bunch of other disciplines also give additional attacks
6 is a pretty easy to argue point. the question is how much you get.
7 again can often be done through feats and descriptive play, though if you're really into a particular mechanic than you can drop it in.

But basically, here's what I would do:

take say, the sacred fist PrC, take out the holy/fire damage part. substitute it in for an IL progression that is a bit more modest than normal, and then give yourself one or two additional flavor abilities for your drunken fist/theif acrobat stuff.

Meat Shield
2008-06-05, 08:13 AM
OK, worked with my DM on it and came up with this:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pI5uqU19XVLB5zegznLbxSA&hl=en

Fluff still needs to be typed up, but essentially the Monkey Paw Disciple imitates the monkey in action and movement. Relying on climbing, jumping, and tumbling, the initiate will attempt to stay out of direct action with foes and strike from unconventional directions and employ hit and run tactics. The Monkey Paw Disciple tends to be flighty, non-serious, fun loving, and a 'go with the flow' type person. He dances around his foe, jumping to and fro, teasing his enemies and always remaining just tantalizingly out of reach.

hamishspence
2008-06-05, 08:51 AM
Monkey Paw Disciple: someone who serves that evil wish-granting item? Or should that be Monkey's Paw disciple? Would be an interesting evil cult. But I'm guessing thats not the reason behind the name.

elliott20
2008-06-05, 09:18 AM
Monkey Paw Disciple: someone who serves that evil wish-granting item? Or should that be Monkey's Paw disciple? Would be an interesting evil cult. But I'm guessing thats not the reason behind the name.

their holy symbol should totally be a monkey paw giving you the finger.

meat shield: I like this. It's got great flavor potential.

MandibleBones
2008-06-05, 09:40 AM
You might try the Fist of the Sublime Way (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42103) or the Monk of the Sublime Way (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29762).

Not sure if it fits your fluff, but probably fits your crunch needs.