PDA

View Full Version : How To Make Naypalm

MR.PIXIE
2008-06-03, 01:06 PM
there is a video on the internet instructing people how to
make this. i wont post any links, wont give instructions because i dont want people geting any ideas. i just want to tell how stupid an erresponsible this is
and to ask what you think.

Wraithy
2008-06-03, 01:10 PM
Despicable, only an idiot would even want to make something like that.
How easy was it to find? I'm sure any site would delete it ASAP.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-03, 01:11 PM
That is just ridicilous....

Everybody knows that Nytroglycerine is better, right?

Voshkod
2008-06-03, 01:12 PM
Napalm. No "y."

Napalm is quite easy; you hardly need a video for it. Delivering it is the hard part.

And it's pretty easy to find info on how to make napalm, gunpowder, ricin, or a hydrogen bomb on the web. That's the wonder of free speech. So, disgusting, perhaps, but not illegal, so I'll defend their right to post it.

North
2008-06-03, 01:14 PM
there is a video on the internet instructing people how to
make this. i wont post any links, wont give instructions because i dont want people geting any ideas. i just want to tell how stupid an erresponsible this is
and to ask what you think.

Of course you realize that 98% of the people here would never even thought "Hey I wonder if I can make napalm." But now that you've pointed it out, at least a quarter is going to try and look for it.

Your giving ideas, just not the direct instructions.:smallwink:

reorith
2008-06-03, 01:17 PM
:smallsigh: is there a video instructing people how to spell it? yeah but stuff like that has always been readily available on the internet.

Semidi
2008-06-03, 01:17 PM
Making napalm isn't exactly hard to do. You can find all the ingredients on Wikipedia or just go the library.

randman22222
2008-06-03, 01:18 PM
Meh. The stupid part is when people make large amounts of it. The know-how isn't stupid. Of course, this is coming from the guy who's trying to make a coilgun. :smallsigh:

MrEdwardNigma
2008-06-03, 01:18 PM
Napalm. No "y."

Napalm is quite easy; you hardly need a video for it. Delivering it is the hard part.

And it's pretty easy to find info on how to make napalm, gunpowder, ricin, or a hydrogen bomb on the web. That's the wonder of free speech. So, disgusting, perhaps, but not illegal, so I'll defend their right to post it.
I second that.

Also, one recipe for Naypalm:

Ingredients:

One Naysayer
One palmtree
A lollypop

Preparation:

Take a large knife and cut the sayer off of the Nay, then keep the Nay in a cool place. Should you want to keep the sayer for preparing something else later, keep him in a cool place too. Boil the palmtree, distilling the essence of palm and let the Nay soak in this for three hours. Suck on the lollypop to keep yourself occupied while it soaks. Voila, homemade Naypalm!

MandibleBones
2008-06-03, 01:19 PM
Of course you realize that 98% of the people here would never even thought "Hey I wonder if I can make napalm." But now that you've pointed it out, at least a quarter is going to try and look for it.

Your giving ideas, just not the direct instructions.

Please - I would venture to guess that more than 2% of the forum population was a Boy Scout at one point or another, and I'm pretty sure every Scout has asked themselves that at least once in their lives.

Add in the popularity of TV shows like Burn Notice, and I'm pretty sure that the natural curiosity of "people our age" was already aroused some time ago.

And honestly? I think it's fine if people want to post things like that on the internet. The people who are going to use it for ill would find other ways to learn even if it wasn't on the internet, and the people who aren't going to use it for ill or are just mildly curious... well, what's the worry there?

I'm pretty sure possession of explosives isn't a crime yet... but then again, I'm not a lawyer.

truemane
2008-06-03, 01:19 PM
I think it's terrible that knowlege exists. Especially kowledge that people with pre-existing mental and/or emotional conditions could possibly use in an irresponsible fashion (instead of whatever else they would have used if such things were not available).

I think we should eliminate ALL forms of knowledge that could possible fall into the wrong hands. NO MORE sex education in schools. If they know how to do it, they'll do it! No more libraries FILLED with horrible reference manuals like the chemical compositon if dynamite and the common household products that produce chlorine gas and other exothermin reactions.

I say we shut down the universities, too, while we're at it. If there were no doctorate programs is physics, there wouldn't be an atom bomb, and you wouldn't want anyone getting any ideas, yeah?

IN FACT! My father's nail gun came with an instruction booklet. And I'm pretty sure THAT'S available on-line too! The shame of hardware companies making such dangerous knowledge freely available.

I mean, really, why should anyone feel any personal responsibility for their own actions? Why should anyone feel obliged to teach their children NOT to kill people with various chemical compounds? Why should we when we can just purge the entire world of everything and anything that could MAYBE be used by someone to do someone else harm?

Come on. Seriously. Surely we should be past this in the modern age. No knowledge is evil. And those who seek knowledge for evil ends will ALWAYS find it. After all, I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but they had Napalm all the way back in the 40's. And that was BEFORE the Internet.

Also, as a final note, you might want to learn how to spell napalm before you go off on how to make it.

MR.PIXIE
2008-06-03, 01:21 PM
you know what... never mind, if people are going to tell were to get instructions for it than im not a part of this any more. this thread should be locked.
sorry to waste your time.

Oh and thats how theyspelled it

Illiterate Scribe
2008-06-03, 01:21 PM
How to make facepalm:

Post worried, possibly moral-panicking thread about 'something is bad on the internet!'.

Convert (using photoshop) to .jpg format.

Enjoy.

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/c/c9/Doublefacepalm.jpg

reorith
2008-06-03, 01:23 PM
Meh. The stupid part is when people make large amounts of it. The know-how isn't stupid. Of course, this is coming from the guy who's trying to make a coilgun. :smallsigh:

you're making a guass rifle too? looks like we have an arms race :smallbiggrin:

Cobra_Ikari
2008-06-03, 01:23 PM
Generally, the recipies are just something like "gasoline + styrofoam!" Which is close, but not really napalm. Haven't tested if it actually works, on account of...why the **** would you want to attempt to create a flammable chemical in your own home? That's just asking for your face to explode, man!

truemane
2008-06-03, 01:24 PM
sorry to waste your time.

Well, if you plan on spending the rest of your life complaining about how freely available all forms of information is in a digitial age, it's YOUR time that shall be wasted.

But that's your choice.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-06-03, 01:24 PM
you're making a guass rifle too? looks like we have an arms race :smallbiggrin:

Bah, but what happens when your NeFeB magnets shatter? Then you'll be looking to us, with our potato guns, to save you!

MR.PIXIE
2008-06-03, 01:27 PM
Generally, the recipies are just something like "gasoline + styrofoam!" Which is close, but not really napalm.
dont tell them!
besides it'll work better with some potasium and .. some .. other thing i cant remember

MandibleBones
2008-06-03, 01:30 PM
I think it's terrible that knowlege exists. Especially kowledge that people with pre-existing mental and/or emotional conditions could possibly use in an irresponsible fashion (instead of whatever else they would have used if such things were not available).

Verily, thou art the paramount champion of "truthiness" in this world.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-03, 01:31 PM
Just a question Hip Truemane : Are you a hippie?:smallconfused:

Also : Not only boyscouts but also use pyromaniacs. We also like things that go BOOM....

Cobra_Ikari
2008-06-03, 01:31 PM
dont tell them!
besides it'll work better with some potasium and .. some .. other thing i cant remember

Actually, it's just Napalm-B minus the benzene, because I'm not positive as to how to get my hands on that.

All information taken from Wikipedia. Fancy that.

Voshkod
2008-06-03, 01:33 PM
"A mistake in ruling against the United States could pave the way for thermonuclear annihilation for us all. In that event, our right to life is extinguished and the right to publish becomes moot."

From United States v. Progressive, Inc. (http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/progressive.html), one of the few non-wartime cases in which a U.S. Court has issued an order to prevent publication of 'dangerous information.' That was an H-bomb, and the info got out anyway.

What's a little napalm among friends? Besides, Darwin works in mysterious ways.

Tom_Violence
2008-06-03, 01:34 PM
Napalm. No "y."

The fact that such knowledge can be easily found doesn't mean that it should be allowed to be distributed as much as possible. Without getting politcal, there are certain things that shouldn't be just thrown around willy-nilly, simply because the more people that read about such stuff the higher the chances that some impressionable buffoon is going to stumble across it and do the wrong thing. Not cos they actively went looking for the wrong thing, but purely and simply because it landed in their lap and they acted on it. And that's when you get wonderful situations where someone ends up in hospital because of someone else having a fairly impromtu 'laugh'.

I'm not saying we should move to ban all such things - the wonders of the internet obviously make that impossible. The fact remains that sooner or later someone will get hurt because of someone else being a bit impressionable and getting the wrong idea. That's probably inevitable. What I am saying is that such events should be held off as long as possible by not telling every soul in the world how to blow things up.

Come on. Seriously. Surely we should be past this in the modern age. No knowledge is evil. And those who seek knowledge for evil ends will ALWAYS find it. After all, I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but they had Napalm all the way back in the 40's. And that was BEFORE the Internet.

I think you've missed the point entirely. Yes, there will always be people that actually go out intending to cause havoc etc. In this 'digital age' one can hardly stop them getting the info they're after. But things like this aren't about people like that. Not everyone who causes havoc is evil, and not everyone that screws up big time intentionally sets out to do so. You wouldn't leave an uzi in front of a 9-year-old would you? Not because the kid is evil, but simply because he just might pick it up and do something silly with it. And the same thing can apply to people of all age groups. If you disagree with that, then you need to meet more adults, cos they screw up plenty too.

MandibleBones
2008-06-03, 01:35 PM
Also : Not only boyscouts but also use pyromaniacs.

I thought the two were synonymous?

My mistake :)

Raiser Blade
2008-06-03, 01:36 PM
If someone really wanted to destroy something there are numerous methods that are far nore effecient then homemade naepaum.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-06-03, 01:38 PM
Please keep me posted on whether or not they show how to make a nuke using Lego. It's been a fascination of mine for some time.

Golly...I sure am silly this morning. The Depression Thread is just a small hint of the madness within.

:smalltongue:

Voshkod
2008-06-03, 01:40 PM
The fact that such knowledge can be easily found doesn't mean that it should be allowed to be distributed as much as possible. Without getting politcal, there are certain things that shouldn't be just thrown around willy-nilly, simply because the more people that read about such stuff the higher the chances that some impressionable buffoon is going to stumble across it and do the wrong thing. Not cos they actively went looking for the wrong thing, but purely and simply because it landed in their lap and they acted on it. And that's when you get wonderful situations where someone ends up in hospital because of someone else having a fairly impromtu 'laugh'.

I'm not saying we should move to ban all such things - the wonders of the internet obviously make that impossible. The fact remains that sooner or later someone will get hurt because of someone else being a bit impressionable and getting the wrong idea. That's probably inevitable. What I am saying is that such events should be held off as long as possible by not telling every soul in the world how to blow things up.

But where do you stop? Should information on firearms not be available? Or contraceptives? Or atheism? If I may quote the great Previn Lal, "As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last loose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."

If it is not illegal, then personal responsibility must be the barrier, not censorship.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-03, 01:45 PM
I thought the two were synonymous?

My mistake :)

NOOOO.
Its true that we also have the skills that boyscouts get, but there´s where it ends.

Boyscouts are generally more law-abiding and we pyromaniacs are more chaotic and rarely lawfull.
Also we don´t have to join clubs, we are more individualistic. And other stuff.

Trog
2008-06-03, 01:46 PM
*Tosses petrol bomb into thread to clear everyone's sinuses* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r711rZ4M5K0)

Bayar
2008-06-03, 01:50 PM
Gunpowder is easy. you just mix carbon (coal?), sulphur and salpeter. The first one is easy. Sulphur is not that easy to come by in these days (although I remeber buying a couple of sulphur sticks about 6 years ago from an old shop) and salpeter you make your own. If Im not mistaken (which I might be), you put salt in a bowl or something, pee on it and after a few days under the sun you find salpeter. Mix everything together and you have the perfect thing to blow your hand off.

Or just buy a gun...

Tom_Violence
2008-06-03, 01:54 PM
But where do you stop? Should information on firearms not be available? Or contraceptives? Or atheism? If I may quote the great Previn Lal, "As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last loose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."

If it is not illegal, then personal responsibility must be the barrier, not censorship.

Why would information on firearms not be available? Its not a question of the information itself, but what a member of the population can reasonably be expected to do with that information. Information on guns is fine, but if someone came up with a recipe for how to make a handcannon using nothing more than a loo roll, half an apple and a first-class stamp then I'm not sure I'd be happy with every kid in the country running around with that info. That's just gonna lead to trouble.

The problem of leaving everything down to personal responsibility is what to do when people start being very irresponsible. Given that kids need to be protected from certain kinds of info, and a huge amount of kids use the internet, I dare say sites have a responsiblity towards the info they throw out.

FlyMolo
2008-06-03, 01:56 PM
Ingredients:

Sharpie
Willing volunteer(yourself works)

Write slowly and carefully on your palm:

"NAY"

Amaze your friends and family.:smallbiggrin:

FlyMolo
2008-06-03, 02:12 PM
And this deserves its own post, because I think it's important.

The problem here is litigation. People need to be able to break the rules without being sent to jail, and conversely, they shouldn't break the rules that matter. If nobody gets hurt, no harm done. If someone is nearly hurt, and then they do it AGAIN, then intervene.

I personally have built a smokebomb with household materials, that made a 20ft mushroom cloud. It was not a good idea, but I learned something from the experience. It was cool, but could have easily have gone badly. So I won't do it again. Not because it wasn't fun, but because it wasn't smart.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-03, 02:15 PM
For this kind of stuff I either don´t get caught, and if I do(Which I have never been), I´l use school as an excuse. But sir, its for my chemistry class.

Voshkod
2008-06-03, 02:18 PM
Why would information on firearms not be available? Its not a question of the information itself, but what a member of the population can reasonably be expected to do with that information. Information on guns is fine, but if someone came up with a recipe for how to make a handcannon using nothing more than a loo roll, half an apple and a first-class stamp then I'm not sure I'd be happy with every kid in the country running around with that info. That's just gonna lead to trouble.

The problem of leaving everything down to personal responsibility is what to do when people start being very irresponsible. Given that kids need to be protected from certain kinds of info, and a huge amount of kids use the internet, I dare say sites have a responsiblity towards the info they throw out.

We agree that posting information on explosives can be dangerous. But once you establish that it is acceptable to remove "dangerous" information from public discourse, you have started down the slippery slope. Some people may think information related to guns is dangerous, as it may lead to the use of firearms. Some may think info on contraceptives is dangerous, as it may lead to premartial sex. Some may think info on atheism is dangerous, as it may lead someone to reject God. And if people that believe that take power after it's become acceptable to remove dangerous information, then they will take advantage of their power.

reorith
2008-06-03, 02:21 PM
Ingredients:

Sharpie
Willing volunteer(yourself works)

Write slowly and carefully on your palm:

"NAY"

Amaze your friends and family.:smallbiggrin:
oh man that reminds me of the pen 15 club trick from my middle school days. and by middle school i mean last tuesday

Purple Cloak
2008-06-03, 02:26 PM
Now, Now people, everyone knows napalm is made by boiling equil parts gasoline and oringe juice!

heh sillyness aside, i know what you mean, being any fellow brits will know how overbearing our goverment have been in regards to anything they suspect is terrorism, or will aid terrorism at the moment.
Such as they can hold them for 24 (i think) days without charge if they are simpaly suspected.

Also as i've inadvertanly discovered youtube has instructions for making Thermite and wikipedia practicaly gives instructions for making Astrolite, so while their are enough idiots to try these thing we will have idiots posting their exploits. :smalleek:

Quincunx
2008-06-03, 02:38 PM
42, Purple Cloak. Yes, the cartoonists have been taking full advantage of that number. Besides, you live right next door to Ireland, where fire-starting jelly is on sale in any respectable grocery store. Bonfire Night is just around the corner. *puts on gas mask* They are very open to experiment on the topic "Given Sufficient Fire-Starting Jelly, Is This Flammable?".

Tom_Violence
2008-06-03, 03:12 PM
We agree that posting information on explosives can be dangerous. But once you establish that it is acceptable to remove "dangerous" information from public discourse, you have started down the slippery slope. Some people may think information related to guns is dangerous, as it may lead to the use of firearms. Some may think info on contraceptives is dangerous, as it may lead to premartial sex. Some may think info on atheism is dangerous, as it may lead someone to reject God. And if people that believe that take power after it's become acceptable to remove dangerous information, then they will take advantage of their power.

A slippery slope indeed, but that doesn't mean one should avoid it entirely. Some people may indeed want the banning of everything and everything, but that alone is neither a reason for banning everything, nor allowing everything. Furthermore, it doesn't really seem to be a case of what is suitable for public discourse, but rather a public discourse about what information should be available to everyone. And a public discourse needs to be based on public reasons (i.e. reasons that everyone can agree on, for example "kids knowing how to make napalm may well lead to kids getting severely injured", as opposed to "Atheism should be banned, because I want everyone to believe in God.") I'm not going to deny that it is a very tricky process, that if utterly abused can lead to dreadful situations. What I am suggesting is that to ignore it completely can also lead to bad things, and when we come to publicly discussing things we need to reasonably assess the likelihood of certain outcomes (e.g. what are the actual chances that giving a bomb to a kid will result in it going off?), and the negativity of those outcomes (e.g. how bad really is premarital sex?), on a case by case basis.

Anyway, I worry that all this might be getting a bit too political.

Jack Squat
2008-06-03, 03:52 PM
I would like to point out that making explosives is illegal in the US, unless it's for agricultural uses (i.e. removing stumps).

That being said, the internet is mostly anarchy...if someone wants to put up something, no one else (except the copyright holder and governments) can say otherwise. Now, the internet is tricky...it's private property, but also publicly avaliable. This means that essentially you can put up anything you want, or anything that'd be allowed in your home...but there's no need for search warrants if the government wants to poke around and see what you've got.

As of now, owning information on how to make weaponry is not illegal, and I doubt it ever will be. You can even sell the information if you want, and there's no problem with it to my knowledge. as said above, it becomes illegal when you make it.

Theoretically, this protects freedom of information, and thus freedom of speech, and still keeps in place the safeguards to prosecute those who abuse this knowledge.

Remember kiddies, laws (and therefor police) are there to react to a crime, not to protect you from it.

FdL
2008-06-03, 06:10 PM
Knowledge isn't dangerous. What you can do with it is.
Censorship is worse.

SurlySeraph
2008-06-04, 12:40 AM
Please keep me posted on whether or not they show how to make a nuke using Lego. It's been a fascination of mine for some time.

Golly...I sure am silly this morning. The Depression Thread is just a small hint of the madness within.

*hugs Bor into unconsciousness, then steals his napalm to use on heretics*

Information should be readily available to the people who can make proper use of that information, and no one else. For example, I should be allowed to know how to make every instrument of destruction between a pointed stick and an F-22. My next-door neighbor, on the other hand, would not be allowed to access web pages that describe anything more dangerous than a blunted wooden spoon.

tyckspoon
2008-06-04, 12:47 AM
would not be allowed to access web pages that describe anything more dangerous than a blunted wooden spoon.

Wood could roughen and splinter. Entirely too dangerous. And the description of one would probably include mention of such things as pocket knives and sandpaper.

Archonic Energy
2008-06-04, 05:27 AM
If I may quote the great Previn Lal

Another Player of SMAC!
W00t

as for the subject of this thread, in my opinion knoledge is neutral it's how it's used that shifts it to good or evil.

Phae Nymna
2008-06-04, 08:06 AM
I plead the first. People have the birth right to hear and say whatever they want. Even if it's potassium chlorate from bleach, LSD from morning glory seeds, or napalm from Styrofoam and gasoline, it is one's right to access recipes and instructions for these materials.* As long as the material is not banned by the law, one should be allowed to make it. I find it sad that people refuse to accept the dangers and death in the world. THings like this will always be present in our culture. I have nothing more to say.

*I do not in ANY WAY endorse the actual production of these materials, but I do support the availability of their manufacturing processes.

Knowledge isn't dangerous. What you can do with it is.
Censorship is worse.

I couldn't agree more. Censorship is disgusting, knowledge is a miracle.

Project_Mayhem
2008-06-04, 09:32 AM
Now, Now people, everyone knows napalm is made by boiling equil parts gasoline and oringe juice!

I was waiting for the fight club reference. Actually, if I recall correctly, the book, not the film, contains reasonably accurate instructions to make the various explosives mentioned.

SurlySeraph
2008-06-05, 01:36 PM
I plead the first. People have the birth right to hear and say whatever they want. Even if it's potassium chlorate from bleach, LSD from morning glory seeds, or napalm from Styrofoam and gasoline, it is one's right to access recipes and instructions for these materials.* As long as the material is not banned by the law, one should be allowed to make it. I find it sad that people refuse to accept the dangers and death in the world. THings like this will always be present in our culture. I have nothing more to say.

But... two of the three materials you mentioned kind of are banned by the law, aren't they?

Dryken
2008-06-05, 02:09 PM
Any of you old folks remember the Anarchist's Cookbook? You usually had to find it through a friend who got it from a friend etc. and it was filled with recipes on how to make napalm, molotov cocktails, various bombs, ways to get free stuff from vending machines etc...

Thiel
2008-06-05, 05:27 PM
Any of you old folks remember the Anarchist's Cookbook? You usually had to find it through a friend who got it from a friend etc. and it was filled with recipes on how to make napalm, molotov cocktails, various bombs, ways to get free stuff from vending machines etc...
You mean this one. (http://www.amazon.com/Anarchist-Cookbook-C-066-William-Powell/dp/0962303208)

zeratul
2008-06-05, 05:45 PM
Hmm interesting, I already knew you could easily make and get instructions to make thermite (really easy by the way). Isn't napalm better though? Like in that it sticks to things and such? I do however think that there are reasonable people who would be interested in making it as well more as a science experiment than some sort of catastrophic demolition.

Jack Squat
2008-06-05, 05:55 PM
Hmm interesting, I already knew you could easily make and get instructions to make thermite (really easy by the way). Isn't napalm better though? Like in that it sticks to things and such? I do however think that there are reasonable people who would be interested in making it as well more as a science experiment than some sort of catastrophic demolition.

Napalm isn't really better...it's basically just thickens gas into a burning gel. Thermite burns at about 2500 degrees celcius, being that it releases molten iron. (Fe2O3(s) + 2Al(s) -(heat)-> 2Fe(l) + Al2O3(s))

Also, both are incindenaries, not explosives (both make a good campfire starter for wet wood, or so I'm told).

UglyPanda
2008-06-05, 05:58 PM
I knew a guy who used to mess around a lot with homemade explosives and weapons. He looked stuff up on the internet and used college physics and chemistry textbooks to get ideas. Then the summer before his senior year, he was being careless and blew off two and a half of his fingers. He went to the hospital and the cops confiscated all of his chemicals and books. He didn't go to jail or get into any serious trouble, but he's missing a couple of fingers, which isn't good by any stretch of the word.

Semidi
2008-06-05, 06:16 PM
Aside:

Hello Government watchdogs, I hope you are all having a nice day. Please be pals and not put anyone on a terrorist watch list. I get to the airport 2 hours early, so it won't be the end of the world if I get searched, but I certainly wouldn't enjoy the experience!

Phae Nymna
2008-06-05, 06:19 PM
But... two of the three materials you mentioned kind of are banned by the law, aren't they?

But, as I said in the same paragraph, the knowledge should be available, even if it is never used. Censorship strikes me hard as an artist, and I can't stand it. :smallannoyed:

Archonic Energy
2008-06-06, 05:03 AM
both make a good campfire starter for wet wood, or so I'm told.

WHAT! you know someone who's wasted perfectly good Thermite on lighting a campfire!

i have much more... useful... aplications in mind. :smallamused:

Tom_Violence
2008-06-06, 05:46 AM
But, as I said in the same paragraph, the knowledge should be available, even if it is never used. Censorship strikes me hard as an artist, and I can't stand it. :smallannoyed:

Censorship in art and censorship in people blowing themselves up are two quite different things though. :smalltongue: To endorse the widespread availability of certain kinds of knowledge while at the same time expecting no one to use it (or only the 'right' people to use it) is at best naïve.

Charity
2008-06-06, 09:24 AM
Doesn't this basically boil down to the old freedom of speech argument?
It is not OK to shout fire in a crowded cinema, irresponsible dissemination of information that could lead to folk’s mutilation and death is equally not OK.

Oslecamo
2008-06-06, 09:38 AM
I somewhat disagree. It's important for people to know what is dangerous exactly to prevent them from doing this.

Everybody knows that it isn't very healthy to stick stuff in your eyes or cut your arterias, but that's only because we're clearly explained those are dangerous activities.

Also, a lot of medical drugs come from poisons and deadly toxins, and a lot of construction methods come from destruction methods.

Maybe someday someone can find a constructive use for napalm besides blowing people up. But that won't be possible if people don't know how to build napalm in the first place.

Shouting fire in the cinema if there's no fire is a lie and will lead to panic and needless violence. Shoutung fire when there's fire in the cinema will also cause panic, but probably save a lot of lifes.

People shouldn't be penalized for telling the truh. Unfortenately it seems our society is more based on lies. We rarely say what we actually think and know, and we end up geting used to this.

Why be afraid from the truth?

Tom_Violence
2008-06-06, 10:53 AM
I somewhat disagree. It's important for people to know what is dangerous exactly to prevent them from doing this.

Everybody knows that it isn't very healthy to stick stuff in your eyes or cut your arterias, but that's only because we're clearly explained those are dangerous activities.

Also, a lot of medical drugs come from poisons and deadly toxins, and a lot of construction methods come from destruction methods.

Maybe someday someone can find a constructive use for napalm besides blowing people up. But that won't be possible if people don't know how to build napalm in the first place.

Shouting fire in the cinema if there's no fire is a lie and will lead to panic and needless violence. Shoutung fire when there's fire in the cinema will also cause panic, but probably save a lot of lifes.

People shouldn't be penalized for telling the truh. Unfortenately it seems our society is more based on lies. We rarely say what we actually think and know, and we end up geting used to this.

Why be afraid from the truth?

This misses the point. No one is saying that knowledge of this sort should be hidden from everyone, but rather that it shouldn't be plastered all over the place where absolutely anybody is likely to stumble across it.

You mention things like medicines being developed from poisons, etc. etc. but that's in the hands of experts operating under strict codes of conduct (hopefully), not the everyman.

Even running around shouting "The Truth!" at people is not always a good thing, and should be handled with great care.

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-06-06, 11:16 AM
Comrade Gorby: Considering the manufacturing of most of the materials discussed hear is illegal, and that this topic has already wandered into political discussion in several posts, this thread is now being locked.