PDA

View Full Version : Guildwars/D&D Challenge

Foeofthelance
2008-06-03, 03:31 PM
I was running around several Guild Wars forums while browsing the Playground, and I noticed something. Guild Wars in a lot of ways is similiar to Dungeons and Dragons, at least the 3.X incarnation. While the characters are assembled differently, the nature of the beasts seems to be the same. Monks tend to try for the CoDzilla format. Warriors, Paragons, and Dervishes all seem to look for a good battlefield control style or large damage spike. The spellcasters are all over the place...

So with that in mind, how would you go about building the big three class legends? The goal is to build a Batman Wizard, a CoDzilla, and a Spike Chain master. Any and all skills can be used, with the exception of the PvE only skills. (In other words, if a hero can't use the skill, it isn't allowed in the build.) Classes can be mixed in any format, but please list skills and attribute levels.

I'm curious to see what develops...

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-06-03, 03:49 PM
Batman: Mes/Ass With a focus on skill rupts (with the fast casting spell rupt), lockdowns (like blackout), and avoidance/teleportation moves from assassin.
CoDzilla: Der/Rit I think. I'm a bit rusty with the Dervish class, but I can see them avatar-ing out with Rit weapon buffs.
Spike Chainer: War/? I'm thinking hammer use and spamming kockdowns. No idea how to finish off the area control bit outside of Necro cripples and whatnot.

Maxymiuk
2008-06-04, 02:21 AM
I'd actually peg the Spike Chainer as an Ele, possibly Ele/A. Spec in Earth and Water magic, throw down Deep Freezes, Earthquakes and Aftershocks. The sin's there mostly for shadow-stepping into the middle of groups.

Damn it, now I actually have to make an Ele to see how this would pan out.

Batman is way trickier. The definition of Batman is "Ha ha, I can kill anything without breaking a sweat" and ultimately that's impossible to achieve in a game as focused on team play as Guild Wars. There's plenty of builds designed to solo specific monsters or particularly killer against a given class, but there's no one who can do it all.

In PvE, forget about it. In PvP the closest I can think of would be either one of those infinite-loop builds such as the Obsidian Flesh ele or Shadow Form sin, though those are more about becoming untouchable to anyone. For actually being able to control/shut down/kill everyone, there's probably the Mesmer.

My current PvP build (Which I provisionally called "The Countermeasure"):

Mesmer/Necromancer

Fast Casting 9+1
Domination Magic 12+3
Inspiration Magic 9

Skills:

Empathy
Spirit Shackles
Power Leech
Shatter Enchantment
Wastrel's Worry
Backfire
Ether Feast
Blackout

This lets me kill, shut down, or at least greatly inconvenience 90% of the builds out there. I'm still fiddling about with it, of course - for example, I still need a reliable way to kill off those damned Toucher Rangers. Though letting them drain me to minimum health and then hitting them with Grenth's Balance and Blackout is a fun way to annoy them, at least.