PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Flasks and Throwables

Ceiling009
2008-06-03, 04:10 PM
Hmmm... there doesn't seem to any acid flasks or alchemists fires in 4e...
So how about we stat some up?

Acid Flask
This flask is full of potent acid that can damage creatures or objects
Potion 100 gp +50 gp per enhancement bonus
Power (Consumable✦Acid)
Standard Action Range 6
Primary Target: One creature
Attack: Dexterity vs Reflex
Hit: 2d8 + enhancement bonus acid damage, and ongoing enhancement bonus acid damage (save ends). Make a secondary attack.
Secondary Target: Each creature adjacent to the primary target
Secondary Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d8 + enhancement bonus acid damage, and ongoing enhancement bonus acid damage (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, and ongoing enhancement bonus acid damage to primary target (save ends), and no secondary attack.

Alchemist's Fire
This flask contains a shiny blue liquid, and when thrown creates a burst of fire.
Potion 150 gp, +50 gp per enhancement bonus
Power (Consumable✦Fire)
Standard Action Clost Blast 5
Primary Target: Each Creature in Blast
Hit: 2d6 + enhancement bonus fire damage

These are kinda rough, and more or less copy level 1 wizard daily's or encounter's...

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-03, 04:11 PM
Hmmm... there doesn't seem to any acid flasks or alchemists fires in 4e...
So how about we stat some up?

Acid Flask
This flask is full of potent acid that can damage creatures or objects
Potion 100 gp +50 gp per enhancement bonus
Power (Consumable✦Acid)
Standard Action Range 6
Primary Target: One creature
Hit: 2d8 + enhancement bonus acid damage, and ongoing enhancement bonus acid damage (save ends). Make a secondary attack.
Secondary Target: Each creature adjacent to the primary target
Secondary Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d8 + enhancement bonus acid damage, and ongoing enhancement bonus acid damage (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, and ongoing enhancement bonus acid damage to primary target (save ends), and no secondary attack.

Alchemist's Fire
This flask contains a shiny blue liquid, and when thrown creates a burst of fire.
Potion 150 gp, +50 gp per enhancement bonus
Power (Consumable✦Acid)
Standard Action Clost Blast 5
Primary Target: Each Creature in Blast
Hit: 2d6 + enhancement bonus fire damage

These are kinda rough, and more or less copy level 1 wizard daily's or encounter's...

...Why make this powers and not Heavy Thrown weapons?

That's making things complicated on purpose, I tell you.

Ceiling009
2008-06-03, 04:15 PM
I looked at the potion sections, and even the magic weapons. Anything that doesn't resemble a simple attack ends up being a power. Sure, you could make them into heavy thrown, though they should be light thrown (it's always dex, and I can't imagine them being that heavy).

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-03, 04:24 PM
I looked at the potion sections, and even the magic weapons. Anything that doesn't resemble a simple attack ends up being a power. Sure, you could make them into heavy thrown, though they should be light thrown (it's always dex, and I can't imagine them being that heavy).

Way I see it, it's not the skill with which you throw 'em, but the FORCE you apply to the throw that determines how far it goes.

Anyway, Here's my tack on it:

Name: Acid Flask.

Proficiency: N/A.

Damage: See properties.

Range: 6/12.

Price: 10 gp.

Weight: 1 lb.

Group: None.

Properties: Does 2d8 acid damage to target, attacks Reflex, Heavy Thrown. Does 1d8 Acid damage in a Close burst 1 around the target. Target can only take the target damage, not the burst damage.

Description: A vial of corrosive acid, which causes terrible injuries to any who are hit by it.

Name: Acid Flask.

Proficiency: N/A.

Damage: See properties.

Range: 6/12.

Price: 10 gp.

Weight: 1 lb.

Group: None.

Properties: Does 2d6 Fire damage to target, attacks Reflex, Heavy Thrown, deals 3 ongoing fire damage (Save ends). Does 1d6 Fire damage in a Close burst 1 around the target, plus 3 ongoing fire damage (Save ends). Target can only take the target damage, not the burst damage.

Description: Specially crafted by trained alchemists, Alchemist fire is a highly flammable substance that flares up when it enters contact with air, and burns to the bone.

Are those good? No need to make some weird powers.

Ceiling009
2008-06-03, 04:49 PM
Dunno, personally, I think it was easier to follow the powers route, cause they're more concise. Also, look at the potions section; since Alchemy doesn't quite exist, it'll probably be in the Arcana usage more or less. I'll also think that it'll require a ritual to make these, (probably brew potion). So in effect, each flask is a power, kinda like how the potions work. And they're all pretty much ripped from the first level wizard powers, they aren't any weirder.

Daracaex
2008-06-03, 05:02 PM
A better way might be to make a normal weapon called "Flask," then create the properties of its contents through enchantments instead. The "flask" weapon itself wouldn't have damage, price, etc, instead placing all that in the enchantment portion. Just make sure to make the enchantments say that they only work when applied to a flask.

Ceiling009
2008-06-03, 11:13 PM
Also, I realized that if it keeps with powers, it keeps from being used as a weapon, which I think is a good trade off. It stops it from being used within powers; and I'm still arguing to keep as powers, as anything that isn't a basic attack or a weapon (which basically runs back to basic attack) is always a power.

DracoDei
2008-08-16, 12:51 PM
I am not the most familiar with 4E so take the following with a grain of salt...

Personally I can see at least SOME exploits or whatever being combined with a splash weapon... I mean if there is something that lets you get two attacks in a round... why NOT be able to throw two flasks? Basically... fluff-wise it is a weapon so make it a weapon.

JackMage666
2008-08-16, 02:01 PM
Alchemy Preview (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080814b) from Wizards... Covers Alchemists fire, at least. Thought it should be mentioned at least

Ceiling009
2008-08-18, 01:59 AM
Oh I haven't been paying attention at all, but I've seen the alchemy previews, and I figured I wanted a quick patch before they appeared....