PDA

View Full Version : Flyby attack question.

Aquillion
2008-06-03, 06:32 PM
So I always sort of assumed that flyby attack just let you take your standard action for that turn to attack during a flying move. But now that I actually go and read it again, that's not what it says:

Benefit
When flying, the creature can take a move action (including a dive) and another standard action at any point during the move. The creature cannot take a second move action during a round when it makes a flyby attack.
Am I misreading this? Especially given the second sentence, it seems to be saying that it gives you an extra standard action. It says "another standard action", and more importantly, it says you can't take a second move action (the only reason that could be an issue is because you have a standard action left after your flyby attack that could otherwise be used to move.)

That can't possibly be the way it was intended to read, but... well, isn't that what it seems to say?

(Hmm, flyby attack + hustle = ...)

KillianHawkeye
2008-06-04, 08:53 AM
Hmm... I have always read it as being = to Spring Attack, except you can take any Standard Action instead of just a basic attack. Oh, and you are flying.

At least I'm pretty sure it's not intended to allow you to take 2 Standard Actions in the same round just because you are flying about.

Person_Man
2008-06-04, 08:57 AM
You are misreading it. You also have to read the Fly (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Fly) rules for it to make sense.

A Dive works like a charge, allowing you to move at double speed and attack at the end of your dive. What Flyby Attack is saying (poorly) is that you can Move at double speed as part of a Dive, make "another standard action" at some point during your movement, and then finish your dive. Normally you couldn't Move at double speed and take and standard action, so in a way, you're gaining a bonus action.