PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone go to boarding school?

Hazkali
2008-06-03, 06:50 PM
Hullo guys,
I'm doing some writing, and the piece I'm writing at the moment is set in a boarding school. I've really shot myself in the foot because I didn't go to a boarding school but I like the story I want to tell (plus I'm just a bit curious as to what it would've been like, grass being greener and all that) so I was wondering if any Playgrounders could help me by relating their own experiences? What's the routine and day-to-day boarding life like? Do/did you have to do chores or anything like that? What are the best/worst bits?

Thanks in advance!

Bag_of_Holding
2008-06-03, 07:00 PM
I went to a boarding school when I was still young and didn't have to worry about the given week's finance. It's where you see the people around you as what they really are and learn to clean after yourself and others. It's kinda like having lots and lots of brothers and sisters- and you get to see the best and the worst of the lot too.

Very mixed feeling about my time there, but a time well spent for sure. Highly centralised compared even to average high schools (Universities are... on the polar opposite side of that) with a bit of Harry Potter but not much.

sktarq
2008-06-06, 04:01 PM
Many boarding schools also have "Day Students" I was a day student at a boarding school from age 5-12 (yes there were kids who were sent to boarding school at 5-it was odd) and as a boarding student at one of those top notch college prep super high pressure schools from 12-17. Is their anything specific you want to know? It was an odd ball in that it was an all male school that shared a campus and many classes with an all girls schools. So some classes were mix gender and some were single, all student goverment, discipline, activities etc. were also by gender. So I've got partial views to both

Innis Cabal
2008-06-06, 11:18 PM
I did as well, in North East Ohio in fact. A wonderful experiance that i treasure and hold very dear to my heart.

Day to day life was just like it would be for a normal high school student(mime minus women as it was an all boys school) but other then that. We went home, we dealth with large families, we ate togather. We were brothers, friends and bitter enemies, but no matter what, it was us agaisnt the school. And in that, we were united as a single entity. Food was awful, no air conditions so summer and spring nights were awful, the heaters always broke so winter was freezing. Brawls were common, brusies almost a skin tone, and tired and shuffling feet in the morning a happy almost....missed...sound track to the day ahead

Bag_of_Holding
2008-06-07, 12:45 AM
We were brothers, friends and bitter enemies, but no matter what, it was us against the school. And in that, we were united as a single entity. Food was awful, no air conditions so summer and spring nights were awful, the heaters always broke so winter was freezing.
Emphasis mine

Heck yeah!!!! :smallbiggrin:

Innis Cabal
2008-06-07, 02:45 PM
those that go through a boarding school experiance come out changed, often times better people. And more often then not, a single word(^See above) or line will spark emotions running from terror(most often times the food or teachers ability to do as they please to bad students) or joy

FdL
2008-06-07, 10:13 PM
those that go through a boarding school experiance come out changed, often times better people.

Some people say the same about military conscription. But I'm glad that it's not obligatory in my country anymore v.v

Raider
2008-06-07, 10:19 PM
I spent a few days at a boarding school for a writing competition held there, from the students I met and saw they all seemed to genuinely enjoy the independence and saw it as a good experience,

o and FdL I heart your avatar

FdL
2008-06-07, 10:24 PM
o and FdL I heart your avatar

Thanks man. He's my D&D character, the kobold warlock I'm playing right now as we speak.

captain_decadence
2008-06-08, 01:34 AM
I went to boarding school so you can question me. Three years spent at one of those college preparatory schools in the Northeast of America. I loved it, hated it and lived it.

It's really just a very different experience than i think most high schools are.