PDA

View Full Version : [PrC] "What are you doing, my son?" "Succeeding you, father."

The Orange Zergling
2008-06-03, 08:29 PM
Based on the Warcraft 3 hero. Made for 3.5e, cuz I don't have the 4e books yet.

Death Knight (Warrior/Caster Hybrid, Blackguard Alternative)

Hit Die: d10
Skills: Concentration, Ride, Spot, Listen, Spellcraft, Knowledge (Religion), Move Silently, Intimidate, Bluff (2 + Int Modifier/Level)

Requirements: Any Evil alignment, Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks, Ride 4 ranks, BAB +6, Turn or Rebuke Undead class feature, must undergo a previously planned treachery against their own kingdom or liege.

{table]Level|BAB|Will|Fort|Refl|Special|Spellcasting Progression
1|+1|+2|+2|+0|Traitor, Death Coil 1/day, Smite Good 1/day|+1 of existing divine class
2|+2|+3|+3|+0|Command Undead, Animate Dead|+1 of existing divine class
3|+3|+3|+3|+1|Smite Good 2/day|+1 of existing divine class
4|+4|+4|+4|+1|Death Coil 2/day|
5|+5|+4|+4|+1|Smite Good 3/day|+1 of existing divine class
6|+6/+1|+5|+5|+2|Death Pact|+1 of existing divine class
7|+7/+2|+5|+5|+2|Death Coil 3/day, Smite Good 4/day|+1 of existing divine class
8|+8/+3|+6|+6|+2| |
9|+9/+4|+6|+6|+3|Smite Good 5/day|+1 of existing divine class
10|+10/+5|+7|+7|+3|Death Coil 4/day, Unholy Aura|+1 of existing divine class[/table]

Traitor: The Death Knight's Ex-Paladin levels count as additional Death Knight levels for the purpose of class abilities. For instance, a Paladin 8/Death Knight 3 would count as a Death Knight 11 for the purpose of Death Coil and Animate Dead and such.
Death Coil: The Death Knight hurls a massive, green skull-shaped bolt of negative energy at the target, dealing (1d6/class level, maximum 15d6) damage to a living target or healing an identical amount if cast at an undead target. Usable once per day at 1st level, twice per day at 4th, thrice at 7th, and four times per day at 10th level. Maximum range of (10ft/class level). This is a magical, Necromancy-school spell for all effects and purposes.
Smite Good: At first level and higher, the Death Knight may attempt to smite good with one normal melee attack. He adds his Charisma modifier (if positive) to his attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per class level. If a Death Knight accidentally smites a creature that is not good, the smite has no effect but it is still used up for that day. At 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th levels the Death Knight can use Smite Good an additional time per day.
Command Undead: When the Death Knight reaches 2nd level, he gains the supernatural ability to command and rebuke undead. He commands undead as would a cleric of two levels lower.
Animate Dead: The Death Knight, beginning at second level, can cast the Animate Dead spell an amount of times per day equal to one half of his class level, free of material components. However, if the Death Knight uses Animate Dead from a spell list, due to using up all of his daily uses of Animate Dead from this class feature, the material component is still required.
Death Pact: At 6th level and onwards, the Death Knight can consume one of his undead minions to regenerate his own health. As a full-round action, he can make one undead with HD no more than twice his class level that is under his control crumble and wither, healing the Death Knight for (1d6 per hit die) hit points. Usable once per minute (every 10 rounds). This is a magical, Necromancy-school spell for all effects and purposes. Maximum range of (10ft/class level).
Unholy Aura: At tenth level, the Death Knight becomes a beacon of negative energy. All undead within 60 feet deal an extra (1 per class level) damage on their attacks, and all healing received is increased by (2 per class level). The Death Knight can suppress or resume this ability at will. The Death Knight is classified as undead only for the purposes of this ability.

-----

I'm probably forgetting something, but for now, how does it look? It's one of my first homebrews in a looong time. Right now I'm thinking it's somewhat overpowered.

SurlySeraph
2008-06-04, 02:17 PM
Make it Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks, since Knowledge (Religion) is used for knowledge about the undead. The Traitor ability is unclear - do you mean that he can trade in paladin levels like a Blackguard can? You're correct that it's fairly overpowered, mainly because of the spellcasting progression. If it had only, say 4 levels of spellcasting progression, it might be more balanced. I'm not terribly good at determining balance, though, so you'll want a second opinion on that.

Yakk
2008-06-04, 04:07 PM
Instead of repeating the Blackguard...

What if you pushed the "draws power from his betrayal" bit?

Remember how Paladins and Clerics gain levels of "goodness"? One's "Betrayal level" is equal to the highest of your level of "goodness" you have achieved, plus your Death Knight level.

Betrayer levels are used as your caster level for turning and rebuking undead.

Uses of Betrayal Magic per day: (by Death Knight level)

L 0 1 2 3 4
1 1 - - - -
2 3 - - - -
3 3 1 - - -
4 3 3 - - -
5 3 3 1 - -
6 3 3 3 - -
7 3 3 3 1 -
8 3 3 3 3 -
9 3 3 3 3 1
10 3 3 3 3 3

The save DC for Betrayal Magic spells is 10+(spell level)+(Death Knight Class Level/2)+Charisma Bonus, or 10+(spell level)+(Betrayal Level/4)+Charisma Bonus, whichever is better.

Level 0 Betrayals:

Smite Good: Do +1 damage per Betrayal Level on a melee or ranged weapon attack. Swift action, can be used after your attack hits. No save.

Death Coil: Standard action. Reflex for miss, or Fortitude for half (defender picks).
Deal 1d6 negative energy damage per 2 Betrayal Levels (round down), and gain that many Temporary HP. If targeted at an undead, instead heals the target. The Death Knight still gains the Temporary HP.

Undead Mount: As the Sor/Wiz level 1 spell, but summons a Zombie War Horse or War Pony (your choice). You may choose to redirect any damage to your Undead Mount to yourself, use your saves instead of the Undead Mount while mounted, and when mounted area damage only hits you.

Level 1 Betrayals:

Command Undead: As the sor/wiz level 2 spell.

Consume Undead: Do 1d10+Betrayer level to an undead within 50', and heal that much damage. You also gain DR 10/Holy for one round. Will negates, Swift Action.

Entropic Feedback: Deal Betrayer Level/2 negative energy damage to anyone who damages you for 1 round. Immediate, Swift or Move action.

Level 2 Betrayals:

Protect Undead: Touch range, standard action. Target undead can use your saving throws to defend against spells and attacks for 24 hours.

Animate Undead: As the Wiz/Cle spell, but no material components required, and released undead die, and has a medium range instead of touch.

Mark of Doom: Standard Action. Duration 3 rounds. Medium Range. A dark glyph appears above the target creature. Each round the target must make a Will save or Cower. At the end of the 3 rounds, or any time the spell is disrupted or dispelled, the creature takes the Death Knight's Betrayer level, plus 1d20 damage for every failed will save, in negative energy damage.

Level 3 Betrayals:

Soul Smite: Free action. Your next melee attack within 1 round, if it hits, deals 1d6 damage for every 2 Betrayer levels to target, and you gain that many temporary HP. You may use this action in the midst of an attack sequence, before an AoO, or at any time before making your attack roll.

Death and Decay: You create an aura of entropy at your targetted location. Medium range, 30' radius, standard action to cast. Lasts 3 rounds. Deals 1d6 for every 2 Betrayer levels on the first round, 1d6 for every Betrayer level on the second round, and 1d8 for every Betrayer level on the third round. Fortitude save for half damage each round, all damage is negative energy.

Grasp of Death: Touch, Standard Action. Deal 1d6 damage for every Betrayer level negative energy damage. If this reduces the target below 0 HP, it is immediately animated as a pseudo-Zombie Undead under the Death Knight's control for 1 round for every Betrayer level.

The Creature regains it's max HP, loses it's con and int stat, loses all (Su) and (Ex) abilities, loses all natural attacks, drops all weapons and doesn't use any remaining ones, and loses all feats. It keeps it's natural armor AC, worn AC, BaB and Str/Dex. It gains a slam attack that does damage equal to a Monk equal in level to the Death Knight (not betrayal level), and whatever movement modes it had before being animated.

Level 4 Betrayals:

Aspect of Death: Self only, Full-round action, lasts 1 round for every Betrayer level. Gain the Undead Type if you do not already have it, and +1 turn resistance for every Betrayer level. All living beings within 10' of you take 3d6 negative energy damage at the start of your turn. Anyone you do damage to must make a Will save, or Cower for 1 round.

Slay Living: Standard Action. Close Range. One target.
Save vs Will or take 1d6 for every Betrayal Level of the Death Knight negative energy damage, and repeat until you win the Will save.
If you win the Will save, take damage equal to the Death Knight's Betrayal Level, and next round make a Fortitude save or take 1d6 damage for every two Betrayal Levels of the Death Knight negative energy damage, and repeat until you beat the Fortitude save.
On success at the Fortitude save, take the Death Knight's Betrayal Level in negative energy damage, and the effect ends.

Consumption of Darkness: Swift or Move action. Lasts 1 hour per Betrayal Level, or until dismissed. Lose half of your max HP, and twice as much in Temporary HP (this happens before the first loss kills you). At the end of each round, take your Betrayal Level in damage, minus any damage you have done to another over that round.

---

Betrayal Magics are considered Divine magical effects, and require either Somatic or Verbal components (chosen at time of casting), do not suffer from ASF, and do not provoke AoO when used. All Betrayal Magics are [Necromatic] [Evil] effects.

Betrayal Magic is considered spontaneous casting.

ErrantX
2008-06-05, 12:43 AM
Also, what of the vampiric runeblade that all Death Knights have?

-X

The Orange Zergling
2008-06-05, 02:09 AM
Yeah, basically a Paladin 6/Death Knight 6 would count as a Death Knight 12 for the purpose of Animate Dead and such. Also changed the undeath/religion thingy.

Lots of stuff

I rather like the concept, although the fiddly bits might need some, well, fiddling, like specific Betrayal spells and the like. I assume this would all be in place of the normal class features and spell progression? It only now occurs to me that Paladin spells probably wouldn't benefit an evil, undead-army-raising paragon of shadow and frost.

And... I can't believe I forgot about the runeblade. *facepalm* I'll get to that tomorrow, but for now I'm thinking of something like a Psicrystal or Spellbook in that it acts as a focus (but doubles as a half-sentient magical sword).

Yakk
2008-06-05, 10:06 AM
*nod*. I lifted your class features and turned them into Betrayal Spells.

I then stole other Death-Knight ish abilities, and tossed out some extras: I figured 3 Betrayal spells per level would be about right.

As this is a class that requires level 6ish to get into, I tried (and probably failed) to aim for spells that where "1 or 2 levels higher" in power.

I then used 4e-inspired mechanics to invent some other spells (which do need tweaking -- Cowers is too strong an effect for Mark of Doom).

Slay Living uses a similar mechanic, to emulate a "you die" spell that doesn't actually kill you right out. I probably had it do too much damage -- at Betrayal 20, that's 70 damage per round until they make a will save, then 35 damage a round until they make a fort save, plus 40 damage that you cannot avoid.

Death and Decay emulates a Death Knight from a particular bit of fiction who could create an aura of Entropy. ;) That one looks more balanced: it starts out with a (relatively) low damage rate, then ramps up as time goes on. Only targets who cannot leave the region in question get screwed...

The Orange Zergling
2008-06-06, 01:02 AM
Alright, how does this look as an alternative? I changed a few things with the system but it's mostly just the Betrayal Magic system and a Runeblade thingy.

Based on the Warcraft 3 hero. Made for 3.5e, cuz I don't have the 4e books yet.

Death Knight (Warrior/Caster Hybrid, Blackguard Alternative)

Hit Die: d10
Skills: Concentration, Ride, Spot, Listen, Spellcraft, Knowledge (Religion), Move Silently, Intimidate, Bluff (2 + Int Modifier/Level)

Requirements: Any Evil alignment, Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks, Ride 4 ranks, BAB +6, Turn or Rebuke Undead class feature, must undergo a previously planned treachery against their own kingdom or liege.

{table]Level|BAB|Will|Fort|Refl|Special
1|+1|+2|+2|+0|Traitorous Magic, Runeblade +1
2|+2|+3|+3|+0|
3|+3|+3|+3|+1|Runeblade +2
4|+4|+4|+4|+1|
5|+5|+4|+4|+1|
6|+6/+1|+5|+5|+2|Runeblade +3
7|+7/+2|+5|+5|+2|
8|+8/+3|+6|+6|+2
9|+9/+4|+6|+6|+3|Runeblade +4
10|+10/+5|+7|+7|+3|Runeblade +5[/table]

Traitorous Magic: The Death Knight draws terrible power from his very malevolence.

Betrayer levels are used as your caster level for turning and rebuking undead.

The Death Knight's effective Betrayer Level is equal to his class level and any Paladin levels he acquired before becoming a Death Knight.

Uses of Betrayal Magic per day: (by Death Knight level)

L 0 1 2 3 4
1 1 - - - -
2 3 - - - -
3 3 1 - - -
4 3 3 - - -
5 3 3 1 - -
6 3 3 3 - -
7 3 3 3 1 -
8 3 3 3 3 -
9 3 3 3 3 1
10 3 3 3 3 3

The save DC for Betrayal Magic spells is 10+(spell level)+(Death Knight Class Level/2)+Charisma Bonus, or 10+(spell level)+(Betrayal Level/4)+Charisma Bonus, whichever is better.

Example Betrayals (by no means a complete list):

Smite Good (Level 0 Betrayal): The Death Knight deals a devastating attack to a Good creature, adding his Charisma modifier (if positive) to the attack roll and his Betrayer level to the damage roll. If the Death Knight accidentally smites a non-Good creature, neither bonus is applied.
Death Coil (Level 1 Betrayal): The Death Knight hurls a bolt of negative energy at the target, dealing 1d6 damage (maximum 15d6) per Betrayer if the target is alive, or healing an identical amount if it's undead. Maximum range of 10 ft per Betrayer level.
Animate Dead (Level 2 Betrayal): The Death Knight can cast Animate Dead, as the spell, free of material components. Released undead die, and the range is considered Medium instead of Touch.
Death Pact (Level 2 Betrayal): The Death Knight consumes one of his minions to restore his own health. As a full-round action, he may cause an undead under his control with HD no more than twice his Betrayer level to collapse and wither, restoring the Death Knight's health by 1d6 hit points per HD.

Betrayal Magics are considered Divine magical effects, and require either Somatic or Verbal components (chosen at time of casting), do not suffer from ASF, and do not provoke AoO when used. All Betrayal Magics are [Necromatic] [Evil] effects.
Betrayal Magic is considered spontaneous casting.

Runeblade: The Death Knight possesses a magical, half-sentient vampiric sword that acts as a focus. If the Death Knight is ever separated from his Runeblade for more than 1d4 minutes (roll at the time of loss), his Betrayer level is assumed to be half as high as it actually is, rounded down, until he is reunited with the Runeblade.
The Runeblade begins as a +1 Longsword at Level 1, but at levels 3, 6, 9, and 10, it becomes a +2, +3, +4, and +5 Longsword respectively. In addition, it's strikes force the target to make a Will save (DC 13 + Betrayer level) or be drained for (Betrayer level) hit points, restoring an equal amount of health to the Death Knight. The Death Knight cannot suppress this ability, as the blade cannot be reasoned with. Targets immune to critical hit damage are not affected by this ability, and the Death Knight does not gain health.
The Runeblade, for all intents and purposes, shares the Alignment of the Death Knight (That is, a Lawful Evil Death Knight would wield a Lawful Evil Runeblade). If the Death Knight ever shifts Alignment, the Runeblade switches after approximately 1d4 days. The Death Knight and his Runeblade share a telepathic connection; each is aware of the other's existence and status (healthy, injured, dying, dead/in-tact, broken, destroyed), even across different planes of existence or in antimagic/antipsionic fields.
If a character who is not the Runeblade's wielder attempts to wield or carry the Runeblade, the sword begins to whisper into his mind every 1d2+1 rounds. If the Runeblade's wielder is alive, the Runeblade whispers things urging it's new barer to return it to it's master. If the Death Knight is deceased, the Runeblade attempts to corrupt the wielder and urge it's new wielder to go to circles or cults of other Death Knights. Only when it's new wielder gains a level in the Death Knight class will it be the Runeblade's new master.
A Death Knight cannot wield more than one Runeblade at a time; if he tries to wield a second his current one lashes out and forces him to drop the new one, unless he is carrying one not belonging to him and he picks up his own Runeblade, in which case his own Runeblade lashes out anyway. An inherited Runeblade does not retain bonuses (ie a Death Knight 1 who picks up a +5 Runeblade will revert the Runeblade to +1).
Non-Death Knights do not benefit from the bonuses that it may carry; to them it is a mundane Longsword except for it's constant whispering. If a Runeblade is destroyed, a Death Knight can turn a regular Longsword (if it was magical, it loses all magical abilities) into a Runeblade over a 24-hour period composed of divine rituals and pumping negative energy into the sword. The new Runeblade is appropriately magical (ie a Death Knight 10 will always forge a +5 Runeblade). Runeblades almost always have names.

Help-credits: Yakk
People who reminded me about stuff I forgot-credits: SurlySeraph, ErrantX

Right now the Runeblade rules look kind of confusing, but they made sense in my head.