PDA

View Full Version : 4E: Is alignment mostly irrelevant with the mechanics?

Tura
2008-06-04, 05:38 AM
I've read the PHB and the DMG rather quickly (might have skipped a few things), and flipped through the MM a bit. Am I missing something, or is alignment mostly a fluff thing now? I think that mechanically it only comes up in one Astral Weapon (a Paladin paragon path) power, and in one special terrain thingy in the DMG (a sacred place imposes penalties to evil creatures). And that's it.

My joy knows no bounds. (Yes, you guessed it, I hate alignment.) In fact, I wonder why, since they took it that far, they didn't take one small step/giant leap further, and drop the idea altogether. But that's just me. The question here is if I'm missing something. Is there perhaps an indirect way to affect creatures according to their alignment?

PS - There are more books to come, of course, but the usual suspects (clerics and paladins) are clean, so I'm optimistic.

Kurald Galain
2008-06-04, 06:03 AM
Yes, it is.

Then again, alignment has always been mostly irrelevant with the mechanics, even in earlier editions. Keyword being "mostly". You can easily play any game from 1E to 3E while ignoring any and all alignment effects. Even Protection from Evil is most often used to simply ward off mental effects, and otherwise it's just Protection From Whomever Is Attacking Me At The Moment.

Pronounceable
2008-06-04, 08:25 AM
I think the only instance (which isn't even a solid rule) is that good guys aren't supposed to be doing necromantic damage, while baddies aren't doing radiant.

Tura
2008-06-04, 09:36 AM
I think the only instance (which isn't even a solid rule) is that good guys aren't supposed to be doing necromantic damage, while baddies aren't doing radiant.
Would that be necrotic damage? And isn't that tied to undead specifically, and not all evil folks in general?

Kurald Galain
2008-06-04, 10:01 AM
Would that be necrotic damage? And isn't that tied to undead specifically, and not all evil folks in general?

Yes, and no.

Inyssius Tor
2008-06-04, 12:25 PM
Huh. Really? I thought necrotic energy comes from the Shadowfell, and is thus wielded only by Shadowfell monsters, the undead, Raven Queen disciples, Vecna cultists, and Orcus's goons.

Tengu
2008-06-04, 12:35 PM
If you're evil, your Radiant powers get switched to Necrotic instead. Or at least they highly suggest that.

Larrin
2008-06-04, 02:10 PM
If you're evil, your Radiant powers get switched to Necrotic instead. Or at least they highly suggest that.

Really i think this suggestion is mostly for divine power sources, since wizards get a dash of both energies and alignment doesn't enter into it. But it makes sense that you don't want your cleric of orcus to be a shining beacon of radiance on the battle field.....

Dark Tira
2008-06-04, 02:27 PM
Really i think this suggestion is mostly for divine power sources, since wizards get a dash of both energies and alignment doesn't enter into it. But it makes sense that you don't want your cleric of orcus to be a shining beacon of radiance on the battle field.....
I don't know, I think Orcus has every right to Laser Clerics. I'm certainly keeping my Undead Cleric Bear of Orcus using Radiant energy, otherwise it wouldn't make sense.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-04, 02:34 PM

One word obvious trope: Warlock.

CTHULHU LIKES TEH SHINIEZ!

The Necroswanso
2008-06-04, 04:24 PM

Well, radiance can be evil too.

ghost_warlock
2008-06-05, 01:58 AM

Like when you're camping and your "buddy" wakes you up by prying open your eyelid and shining a flashlight in your face? :smallfurious:

ashmanonar
2008-06-05, 03:56 PM

Well, it could be a pale, sickly corpselight of radiance. The kind of light that sends shivers down your spine and makes your skin crawl.