PDA

View Full Version : hi, i need some help

sharir1
2008-06-04, 08:35 AM
first, im new here and im not if this is no allowed.

anyway, i want to create my own comic, but i don't know how to drow avatars.

how can i create comic at order of the stick style?

Bayar
2008-06-04, 08:45 AM
1. Get Inkscape.

2. Study this tutorial: http://trazoi.net/tutorials/inkscape/oots/

3. Practice

4. Post it here and see if it makes or breaks you.

Serpentine
2008-06-04, 09:03 AM
1. Get Inkscape, Illustrator, Paint or another quality program.

2. Study this tutorial: http://trazoi.net/tutorials/inkscape/oots/ for Inkscape, or look around the forum for the other relevant guides such as this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8742), which includes links to other tutorials. Also use the Illustrator Help menu a lot.

3. Practice

4. Post it here and see if it makes or breaks you.

5. Practice some more.There, that's a bit more like it :smallcool:

sharir1
2008-06-04, 09:18 AM
thanks, ill do it

Silence
2008-06-04, 01:42 PM
Inkscape? Illistrator?

Ok, those are maybe good for low quality OOTS, but if you want to try anything that could be defined as art, you should work with GIMP (free) or PS (PM me about that).

Bayar
2008-06-04, 01:45 PM
first, im new here and im not if this is no allowed.

anyway, i want to create my own comic, but i don't know how to drow avatars.

how can i create comic at order of the stick style?

Relevant...

Dr. Bath
2008-06-04, 01:48 PM
Um. No.

Brilliant OotS style art can be produced with any of the programs Serpentine listed. To keep it close to the actual style of the Giant, Illustrator is preferable (it's what he uses), although Inkscape is very similar.

Drawing stick figures is never going to be 'art' as such, it was devised as a time saving device by the Giant so he could make the comics more easily.

It really doesn't matter which program you use, any could be used to produce absolutely fantastic results, although PS and Gimp aren't the best suited to this particular style as they lack a few of the useful tools that come with vector based drawing.

Bayar
2008-06-04, 01:50 PM
Um. No.

Brilliant OotS style art can be produced with any of the programs Serpentine listed. To keep it close to the actual style of the Giant, Illustrator is preferable (it's what he uses), although Inkscape is very similar.

Drawing stick figures is never going to be 'art' as such, it was devised as a time saving device by the Giant so he could make the comics more easily.

It really doesn't matter which program you use, any could be used to produce absolutely fantastic results, although PS and Gimp aren't the best suited to this particular style as they lack a few of the useful tools that come with vector based drawing.

BATH'S BACK !!! :eek: *fainths*

BRC
2008-06-04, 02:00 PM
One question sharir, are you making a comic because you have a story you want to tell, because you enjoy the artistic aspect ect ect.

OR are are you just making a comic because everyone else is doing it and it looks easy.

If the former, Welcome, I eagerly anticipate the webcomic you will bring to these boards. If your art is not quite up to snuff practice a little more, and the friendly densins of this board will likely offer suggjestions.
If the Latter, let me just tell you two thigns. First of all, webcomicing, even with a style as relitivly simple as OOTS, is a long way from easy. Especially if your just starting out. My Advice is to draw your characters, or just some random avatars, aand post them here for comments before starting your comic proper. Art isn't everything, but if you want people to read it, you should get to at least a certain level of skill.

Secondly, Think about and plan out your story, or at least the first part of it.Then think "would I want to read this, will OTHER people want to read this."

Echowinds
2008-06-04, 02:02 PM
Proper spelling and grammar is a must.

Lyinginbedmon
2008-06-04, 02:50 PM
Proper spelling and grammar is a must.

Because, contrary to popular belief, the Internet is filled with grammar and spelling Nazis :smalleek:

If it's not your native tongue, however, most people are somewhat understanding. As has been said, story tends to trump bad artwork.

Maulrus
2008-06-04, 09:05 PM
Inkscape? Illistrator?

Ok, those are maybe good for low quality OOTS, but if you want to try anything that could be defined as art, you should work with GIMP (free) or PS (PM me about that).

Right, because the Giant's art is so low quality, as is stuff like Anti-Heroes.

Inkscape and Illustrator are great for OotS-style stuff because you get smooth, clean-looking art with helpful tools.

If you're going to be serious about the art, Illustrator is what I think is best (what the Giant uses), but Inkscape is free and Trazoi's guide is really helpful. Inkscape is very good as well.

Silence
2008-06-04, 09:16 PM
Um. No.

You're correct on everything you've said, but I, for one, enjoy the OotS style, but, as an artist, wouldn't want to camp on that style.

I mean, would it not suck to do art for five years, and your greatest achievement be a STICK FIGURE? Now, don't get me wrong, there are places where stick figures are high art (Here, for example (http://www.deletionquality.net/movie/oscar/partd)), but I think it's best to move past making easy to draw stuff.

Just some advice.

Szilard
2008-06-04, 09:24 PM
Rich has been doing art for much longer. Ever heard of Five Foot Steps? That was Rich, and there was this one thread he put here with his art...

Silence
2008-06-04, 09:33 PM
Look, I know Rich is a talented artist, and I respect him very much, but I'm just saying, even after 500 odd strips, none of the OotS strips could be classified as really great stuff (think devientart frontpage.)

Maulrus
2008-06-04, 09:40 PM
Look, I know Rich is a talented artist, and I respect him very much, but I'm just saying, even after 500 odd strips, none of the OotS strips could be classified as really great stuff (think devientart frontpage.)

Yes, it could. The Giant is an incredible artist, and that shows throw even in stick figure form. Examples:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0544.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0524.html

There's a lot of other stuff, but I don't feel like going through the entire archives to prove a point.

Just because it's not hand-drawn shaded photorealistic art doesn't make it any less great.

Silence
2008-06-04, 09:44 PM
There are some high points, yes.

I take back my statement about "none of the OotS strips could be classified as really great stuff". I spoke (wrote) too quickly there.

But, if you have an open mind, I think you can see the point I'm trying to make.

Szilard
2008-06-04, 10:28 PM
Didn't mean to sound rude or anything...

I kind of see your point.

Nathan
2008-06-04, 11:06 PM
Dr. Bath summed up the relevant info on the programs to use.

My main suggestion is to make the first ten comics and see how it goes. Make 'em, then leave them for a while and come back. If it's still as good as you thought it was when you first made it, and you still want to do more, than start posting them and keep going with it.

You're not going to wow anyone with art if you're using the OotS style, so you need to have better writing than a comic with "good" art. I've seen webcomics with awesome art that I read once and never went back. I've seen webcomics with basic (and unchanging) art (http://www.qwantz.com) that I check every day (even when I know there's not one coming out that day (http://xkcd.com/429/)).

In fact, my entire t-shirt collection comes from the two comics I just linked to. And both their art is simple in the extreme.

The secret is always going to be writing. If you can't write a whole comic or can't do one liners (Banner Comics (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81349) is the awesome), then webcomics aren't for you. Just work on the art. There's a whole thread dealing with requests and there are almost always more requests than artists.

Lissou
2008-06-04, 11:32 PM
I see the "stick figures are not art" point. But let me remind you that comics is a separate, specific form of art. And it's not only about the drawings. It's about the drawings and the plot, the dialogues, and how they interact with each other.
The style Rich chose fits best with his way of telling his story, and as it's the combination of both that is art, it's good that he made that decision. A "better" but less fitting style just wouldn't have worked.

Serpentine
2008-06-05, 12:34 AM
But, if you have an open mind, I think you can see the point I'm trying to make.So if we don't see your point, we have a closed mind? :smallconfused:
Anyway, the OP mentioned drawing avatars. That would imply, at least, that he's intending to work in the Oots style. Which makes all your points about what is and is not "art" completely moot, and my list of programs completely relevant. I should have mentioned GIMP and the other one, but I don't think of them at all and so forgot.

sharir1
2008-06-05, 04:43 AM
thanks for everyone that try to help, and about some questions that were asked here.

1.i don't want to do comics just because it looks easy. oots gave me inspiration and i want to try.

2.oots comic style might not be art, but i want to start from simple style of comics.

3.thank for the good idea, nathan. i will do it

Lyinginbedmon
2008-06-05, 04:52 AM
I think there aren't many "definitive" versions of stick figure art in the world. I mean, if we go by the precise definition, the characters of xkcd are stick figures, but those of Order of the Stick aren't (I prefer to call it "Burlewan" style). Even then, both comics are critically acclaimed, though they have different audiences and different genres to their credit. xkcd uses stick figures to explain complex concepts, even branching non-character elements into more advanced art styles to do so. The effects and environments around Burlewan figures is pretty advanced too, most of the really "artsy" stuff is from big stuff (Azure castle exploding, the resulting rift, etc.), but the characters remain in their Burlewan styles.

In the end, I don't think you could really criticise the comic because the characters are drawn in something without four fingers and a thumb on each hand or five toes or a nose (Or even eyes in xkcd). It might not be immediately recognisable as "high art", but it's still "art".

The point is, I think, that you could make a great comic or such out of stick figures, but you couldn't paint the Sistine Chapel with them...

...unless you were employed by blind folk

EDIT: Found Mr Burlew's art thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74508)

Bayar
2008-06-05, 05:08 AM
The secret is always going to be writing. If you can't write a whole comic or can't do one liners (Banner Comics (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81349) is the awesome), then webcomics aren't for you. Just work on the art. There's a whole thread dealing with requests and there are almost always more requests than artists.

OOh, linkage :smallbiggrin:

Back on topic: Yeah, what Lying said. The visual aspect should be able to merge with the writing aspects of a comic in a certain way that both contribute in the best way for a comic to be good. (re-reading what I jsut said...wow, that is confusing :smallconfused:)

Dr. Bath
2008-06-05, 09:44 AM
You're correct on everything you've said, but I, for one, enjoy the OotS style, but, as an artist, wouldn't want to camp on that style.

I mean, would it not suck to do art for five years, and your greatest achievement be a STICK FIGURE? Now, don't get me wrong, there are places where stick figures are high art (Here, for example (http://www.deletionquality.net/movie/oscar/partd)), but I think it's best to move past making easy to draw stuff.

Just some advice.

I think you're missing the point that the main advantage of working in OotS style is, rather than being a fantasic to look at, easy and fast so great for those starting out or the time poor. I can finish a nice looking avatar in half an hour, tops. This is in comparison to say, drawing in a slightly more realistic style which might take anywhere up to a few hours. Rather than a style that you show to people and they go "Wow! See how the light plays across their face and the shimmering of their hair! Amazing!", it's something to make jokes with and images which can't be larger than 120 by 120 pixels. When the images are shrunk so small the simple lines look good and detail used in other styles would be completely lost.

Oh and by the way, that 'high art' stick figure animation? Done on flash, a vector based art program, which is exactly what both Inkscape and Illustrator are.

The whole point of Rich's style is that he could continuously churn out strip after strip to a schedule, if he worked in a style similar to that of Dev art's front page he would never finish. Most of those things take hours and hours of work for a single portrait, let alone long comic strips. At that rate Rich'd never finish the story that he planned. And this is the same thing that draws people to make comics in a similar style, you can get pretty good in short time and then work on the storytelling (which is what holds the audience as Nathan said) of the comic, rather than just trying to avoid making the veiwers eyes bleed with horrible drawings and an innability to show sufficient emotion.