PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul...need help helping a friend...

Brother Numsie
2008-06-04, 10:04 AM
Hiya... a friend of mine just joined the D&D group I'm in and he want's to play a Radiant Servant of Pelor (or Lathander since we're playing the Realms).

He doesn't want to play the cleric so we thought about the Favored Soul... he's just the type of person who would fit that class... however, there is the problem of not having access to the Sun domain and no turn undead feature... he could take a dip into the Sacred Exorcist, but how to get the Sun domain without having to dip into Cleric or use the Knowledge Devotion feat and Contemplative PrC???

JMobius
2008-06-04, 10:32 AM
Yeah, this bugged me too. According to fluff, most Favored Souls are of Pelor, yet the divine champions of Pelor, they can never qualify to be. Hell, favored souls aren't able to take the vast majority of prestige classes in the very book they are introduced in, as they all require either turning ability and/or domains.

My GM agreed with me that this is a bit stupid, so we ended up changing the Favored Soul in a number of ways, a few disadvantages while obtaining access to the sun domain and turn undead as a cleric. I'd suggest you and your friend talk to your GM about this situation; at the very least, see if you can get him to tweak the entrance requirements to be a little more reasonable to favored souls without bizarre multiclassing.

Aleron
2008-06-04, 11:18 AM
I'm probably nuts, but I think there's a feat that allows access to a Domain as a cleric...but I can't remember what book it's in.

bigbaddragon
2008-06-04, 11:30 AM
I'm probably nuts, but I think there's a feat that allows access to a Domain as a cleric...but I can't remember what book it's in.

What you recall is probably Arcane Disciple feat in Complete Divine which adds spells from a chosen domain (one of your deity's domains) to your class spell list, but thats for arcane casters.

@Brother Numsie: As Jmobius suggested talk to your DM. There is nothing overpowered in granting Turn Undead to Favored Soul and one domain. glhf

bosssmiley
2008-06-04, 01:11 PM
Just houserule the Favoured Soul's spell-list.

Change their spell selections from the existing "x per level" to a more thematically appropriate "you know the spells from all your god's domains, and only those spells" (domains per the list given in Comp Div). Instant fix!

This option allows your player to take Radiant Servant PrC levels without needlessly burning feats, and you get some extra 'personally favoured by my god' Favoured Soul flavour. :smallwink:

Ecalsneerg
2008-06-04, 01:50 PM
Just houserule the Favoured Soul's spell-list.

Change their spell selections from the existing "x per level" to a more thematically appropriate "you know the spells from all your god's domains, and only those spells" (domains per the list given in Comp Div). Instant fix!

This option allows your player to take Radiant Servant PrC levels without needlessly burning feats, and you get some extra 'personally favoured by my god' Favoured Soul flavour. :smallwink:

Favored Soul is the new Beguiler/Dread necromancer! GENIUS! I'm really going to put this in a game at some point.

Shishnarfne
2008-06-04, 01:55 PM
Well, it is a little bit removed from what you're looking at, but Expedition to Castle Ravenloft includes the Knight of the Raven which (IIRC) grants both Turn Undead and access to the Sun Domain (someone with book on hand please check this).

However, this one is usually considered setting specific (and loses a caster level at first level)... and doesn't grant either of the two pre-reqs for Radiant Servant until a few levels in...

Ned the undead
2008-06-04, 04:48 PM
One less spell a level for a Domain of his choice? (and Domain spell slot)
I'm really not that experienced with Divine classes so this could be completely bum advice.

Brother Numsie
2008-06-04, 07:00 PM
One less spell a level for a Domain of his choice? (and Domain spell slot)
I'm really not that experienced with Divine classes so this could be completely bum advice.

Ok this is actually a little like the spontaneous divine caster proposed in Unearthed Arcana... so I think it would work with my DM as he did at one point consider having a spontaneous cleric but thought it kinda lame... this however might change things alot... hmm, why didn't I think if this... thanks...

Also, the feat Knowledge Devotion (cc) needs one knowledge skill at 5 ranks to get and grants one other knowledge skill as a class skill at all time... and of course the enormous bonus it grants on attack rolls vs. creatures involving knowledge skills :)