PDA

View Full Version : Favorite race?

Ned the undead
2008-06-04, 03:17 PM
I'm just curious about waht races you guys enjoy playing.
For fluff or crunch, it doesn't matter just post 'em!

I like Kobolds. I'm going to play a Kobold Ranger named Grint in my groups new campaign.

Morty
2008-06-04, 03:20 PM
Goblins and Half-elves for me.
Goblins, because those poor sods always end up on the point of heroes' swords without any other purpose. Also, I like the "little, weak, but smart and resourceful" feel they have if done right.
I like Half-elves because they offer me a good compromise between playing a human, which is a bit uninteresting, and playing an elf, which doesn't really suit my tastes.

Pronounceable
2008-06-04, 03:35 PM
Human. The other races are a blight upon the world that must be exterminated.

I'm fascist. Sue me.

Ned the undead
2008-06-04, 03:38 PM
Goblins and Half-elves for me.
Goblins, because those poor sods always end up on the point of heroes' swords without any other purpose. Also, I like the "little, weak, but smart and resourceful" feel they have if done right.

That's why I like Kobolds. Grint's backstory actually has him pulling some Tucker's Kobolds stuff to kill of a low-level Dread Necro. (no exp because technically the wolverines killed him.)

monty
2008-06-04, 03:38 PM
See my sig. Also, changelings.

wakazashi.juice
2008-06-04, 03:39 PM
I prefer Dromites. There's just something about a little bug-man that has never seen sunlight that appeals to me. I'm currently playing a Dromite Psychic Warrior/Elocator, and it's a lot of fun.

FMArthur
2008-06-04, 03:41 PM
The Changeling. The ability to always catch the DM off-guard in non-combat NPC interaction is very powerful. You can be an infiltrator, assassin, spy, anything, without even worrying about your character class. Just plain fun.

DUSUCK
2008-06-04, 03:43 PM
Dwarfs RULE!!!!! Elves and humans can eat dirt

Ned the undead
2008-06-04, 03:45 PM

I'm fascist. Sue me.

"All right men! The plan is to charge down the warren! There are only a few dozen Kobolds there as of now and then we can lay in ambush for the rest. NOW CHAAAAAAARRRR-AHHHHHHG THE ACID! GODS THE PA- WTF CROSSBOW BOLTS!? THERE'S NO- HOLY HELL! BOULDER! BOULDER! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!"
Kobolds+traps+narrow corridors=win.

Indon
I'll play anything.

monty
Dwarfs elves and humans can eat dirt

I find that amusing considering your avatar.

Edit: Reread that, and now it makes sense. Watch your punctuation; that statement was ambiguous.

mabriss lethe
2008-06-04, 03:49 PM
Depends.

Humans for crunch. They got all the best toys.

Goblins for fun, especially if some better homebrew ideas are applied to them( as in it sucks that some of the better races in the PHB have it out for them, but they don't, in turn have a comparable ability.)

Dopplegangers and Ogre Mages for higher LA monster races. change shape is a fun fun thing.

Wights...as a sort of race... if allowed, are some of my favorite critters to play.

Glyde
2008-06-04, 03:52 PM
If we want to go beyond the basics, I'm playing a Minotaur / Ibixian crossbreed. It's been a blast to play.

Other than that, I like Half-Fiends and Warforged.

Ned the undead
2008-06-04, 03:53 PM
Depends.

Humans for crunch. They got all the best toys.

Goblins for fun, especially if some better homebrew ideas are applied to them( as in it sucks that some of the better races in the PHB have it out for them, but they don't, in turn have a comparable ability.)

Dopplegangers and Ogre Mages for higher LA monster races. change shape is a fun fun thing.

Wights...as a sort of race... if allowed, are some of my favorite critters to play.

Libris Mortis has Wight as a class.
They also have Ghoul, Mohrg, Vampire, and Mummy.

Innis Cabal
2008-06-04, 03:53 PM
Half elves, or Tiefling

mabriss lethe
2008-06-04, 03:57 PM
Libris Mortis has Wight as a class.
They also have Ghoul, Mohrg, Vampire, and Mummy.

Yes. I know. LM is a pretty fun book. It's just that there are a lot of DMs out there who won't touch savage species style monster classes/don't like undead PCs/see what I'm capable of creating and just say no...

serok42
2008-06-04, 04:01 PM
Dwarf and Whisper gnome

Dark Tira
2008-06-04, 04:02 PM
Sign me up for Kobolds. I liked them in 3.5 but I love them in 4th. They took all their best annoying tendencies and made them awesomer.

Xuincherguixe
2008-06-04, 04:02 PM
Orcs! *Chops and burns*

RTGoodman
2008-06-04, 04:08 PM
Humans, Goliaths, Half-Orcs, and Kobolds are my favorites. I absolutely loathe Elves of all types.

Ned the undead
2008-06-04, 04:09 PM
Sign me up for Kobolds. I liked them in 3.5 but I love them in 4th. They took all their best annoying tendencies and made them awesomer.

Gah! I want to see the 4e Kobolds so bad! I heard they are awesome. I've also heard Minotaurs aren't half bad.

Kantolin
2008-06-04, 04:57 PM
Half-Orcs and Goblins.

Then comes Dwarves and Gnomes. I'm not particularly fond of Humans.

Johnny Blade
2008-06-04, 05:04 PM
Gah! I want to see the 4e Kobolds so bad! I heard they are awesome. I've also heard Minotaurs aren't half bad.
Actually, I play a Minotaur fighter as my first character, and yes, not bad at all. Oversized weapons and a +2 to Strength are pretty nice.

Also:

Kobold
Ability scores: +2 Con, +2 Dex
Size: small
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: normal (:smallconfused:)

Languages: Draconic, Common
Skill Bonuses: +2 Stealth, +2 Thievery
Trap Sense: +2 to defenses against traps

At-will power: Shifty
Minor action
You shift one square.

EDIT: Yeah, I'll play whatever. Recently though, I have read a lot about tribal cultures and like to play according characters. Though it's getting old after two characters in a row.
I also have a thing for Goblins.

Oh, and shifting means you move without provoking opportunity attacks. Shifting one square is a move action.

zaei
2008-06-04, 05:07 PM
Nimblewright. Clockwork ninjas, hell yes.

Ned the undead
2008-06-04, 05:11 PM
Actually, I play a Minotaur fighter as my first character, and yes, not bad at all. Oversized weapons and a +2 to Strength are pretty nice.

Also:

Kobold
Size: small
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: normal (:smallconfused:)

Languages: Draconic, Common
Skill Bonuses: +2 Stealth, +2 Thievery
Trap Sense: +2 to defenses against traps

At-will power: Shifty
Minor action
You shift one square.

EDIT: Yeah, I'll play whatever. Recently though, I have read a lot about tribal cultures and like to play according characters. Though it's getting old after two characters in a row.
I also have a thing for Goblins.

Oh, and shifting means you move without provoking opportunity attacks. Shifting one square is a move action.
I love you. :smallredface:
Also Grint may make a come back when we play 4e. Those +2s look mighty tasty for a Ranger.

Johnny Blade
2008-06-04, 05:30 PM
I love you. :smallredface:
I get that a lot. :smallbiggrin:

Also Grint may make a come back when we play 4e. Those +2s look mighty tasty for a Ranger.
Yeah, Rangers would work. Rogues too, obviously.

Another option for Kobolds that I think would be stylish is a Fighter with a pick. You'd have to use it as a two-handed weapon, which is bad. But most powers that get a boost when you use a pick are movement-related (like quite a few Fighter powers), which would be in sync with the Kobold racial power.
Could be an interesting concept.

Ned the undead
2008-06-04, 05:40 PM
I get that a lot. :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, Rangers would work. Rogues too, obviously.

Another option for Kobolds that I think would be stylish is a Fighter with a pick. You'd have to use it as a two-handed weapon, which is bad. But most powers that get a boost when you use a pick are movement-related (like quite a few Fighter powers), which would be in sync with the Kobold racial power.
Could be an interesting concept.
Interesting....
If the Stormwarden doesn't look as good as I thought it might I;ll probaly multiclass fighter.

Ned the undead
2008-06-04, 05:43 PM
Kobold

I just want to know what made Wizards decide to change Kobolds from -2 con to +2, not that I'm complaining.

JackMage666
2008-06-04, 05:51 PM
I just want to know what made Wizards decide to change Kobolds from -2 con to +2, not that I'm complaining.

Probably because it never really made sense to begin with - I mean, they spend all their lives slaving away underground, hollowing out tunnels and serving dragons. After that life, you're going to be at least as hardy as the average human, if not more so.

Collin152
2008-06-04, 06:02 PM
I like Gnomes.
And humans.
Gnomes give me happy thoughts.
Humans get a feat.

Johnny Blade
2008-06-04, 06:07 PM
Interesting....
If the Stormwarden doesn't look as good as I thought it might I;ll probaly multiclass fighter.

Well, a Ranger/Fighter using a pick wouldn't work, as Rangers are set on either TWF or archery.
And since Fighters are focused on melee, TWF is the only option here.

So you'd almost inevitably end up with light blades, which would allow you to capitalize on your Dex bonus, by the way.

The pick Fighter could maybe work with the Warlord, but whatever. This is not the right thread for that stuff.

Oh, and I have no idea why they gave Kobolds a Con bonus. Their description in the Monster Manual doesn't tell you much about them anyway.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-06-04, 06:09 PM
Normally, I play humans, but lately, it has been Goliath(s), Kobolds, and Catfolk. (catgirls ftw!)

Inhuman Bot
2008-06-04, 06:11 PM
Mostly Lizardfolk, Probly.

Bandededed
2008-06-04, 06:19 PM
Hehe, I love half-orc's, especially when you can get strength to 20 and int to like 4.

Then you can smash things again and again, and never ever ask questions or take names. :smallbiggrin:

"Feng no like you. Feng SMASH!
Oh, and speaking IC in the third person, though that's not exactly a half-orc only thing.

brant167
2008-06-04, 06:21 PM
I love playing exotic races, the less the people know about em the better. Usually after I play a character of some race I will never play that race again...but I am odd like that. My favorite race in 3.5 is a tie between Killoren (races of the wild) and Goliaths (races of stone.)

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-06-04, 06:45 PM
Human's are fun, because they can do anything. After that, I'm not sure. I haven't really done much else, other than the core races.

NEO|Phyte
2008-06-04, 06:45 PM
Thri-kreen and warforged. One because they're awesome 4-armed insectile creatures of awesome, the other because they're awesome pseudo-robot creatures.

Ned the undead
2008-06-04, 07:47 PM
Normally, I play humans, but lately, it has been Goliath(s), Kobolds, and Catfolk. (catgirls ftw!)
K= 1/2M*V squared.
What of your beloved catgirls now?

Jayngfet
2008-06-04, 07:58 PM
Planetouched, I like them so much I homebrewed a dozen kinds and plan to make more.

JaxGaret
2008-06-04, 09:33 PM
All of them.

Variety is the spice of life.

Eldariel
2008-06-04, 10:58 PM
Elves. Them and Planetouched. I kinda like the fey in general though (as far as I'm concerned, Elves are fey). Orcs are kinda cool too, but seeing that the thing that usually impresses me is elegance and sophistication, they aren't really for me. Dwarves are kinda cool too though, and I suppose the Halflings aren't bad either. Gotta give a shoutout to Kobolds for hanging in there.

Humans I don't care much for (other than mechanically), seeing that I don't see them belonging to a fantasy world. Half-Races likewise rub me the wrong way although that's just their implementation; little reworking makes the system much more workable (and makes Humans less of "****s anything"-rabbits).

DrowVampyre
2008-06-04, 11:12 PM
Elves. I just love elves, of all varieties.

Also tibbits, because who doesn't like a fire-breathing housecat of DEATH (tibbit dragonfire adept)? :smallbiggrin:

Lycan 01
2008-06-04, 11:37 PM
Kobolds seem pretty cool... From what I've seen in OotS, at least.

I'm playing my first game of DnD ever tommorrow. The other players are gonna teach me how to play and stuff, but I'm curious as to what I should play as...

I want to play as a Kobold, but I don't know if the DM will let me, as he probably doesn't allow more than the standard "starting" races and classes. And I dunno if Kobolds are amongst those... :smallconfused:

Anyway, if I can play as a Kobold (3.5e, btw...), what class should I go with? Rogue, or Ranger?

ahammer
2008-06-04, 11:50 PM
kobolds are fun to play but game wize they are a week overall race with no real reson to play them besized rp in 3.5

I like my kobold druid that shapships and eat people lots of fun no on thinks the kobolds going to do that.

Jayngfet
2008-06-04, 11:57 PM
*snip*

Kobolds are not "standard" unfortunatly, but they're LA+0, core, and hav usable stats so it shouldn't be a proablem.

I'd go with sorcerer or rogue, fits the fluff.

Lycan 01
2008-06-05, 12:12 AM
Kobolds are not "standard" unfortunatly, but they're LA+0, core, and hav usable stats so it shouldn't be a proablem.

I'd go with sorcerer or rogue, fits the fluff.

Uhh... Can you please explain that so my non-DnD-playing brain can comprehend it? I don't know what that means, exactly...

In short, if the guy's sticking with "standard" stuff, no Kobolds for me? :smallfrown:

Recaiden
2008-06-05, 12:17 AM
I like kobolds, catflok, humans, vampires and wights, elves, halflings, really everything except dwarves.

Kobolds are in the "Monster Manual", but are not presented as a player race along with humans, elves, etc. in the "Player's Handbook." The book "races of the dragon" has information on playing and using kobolds. Their stat adjustments are somewhat disadvantageous. -4 str, -2 con, +2 dex, some other abilities.

Thurbane
2008-06-05, 12:25 AM
Humans. Karsites. Catfolk.

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-05, 12:38 AM
I relly like Lupins and Phanatons, as well as an LA 0 Gnoll race I created (+2 Str and Con, -2 Int and Cha, +1 NA, 60' Darkvision, and Spot and Listen always class skills).

Ariko
2008-06-05, 12:57 AM

I see we have things in common :smallbiggrin:

SurlySeraph
2008-06-05, 01:13 AM
Duergar. Invisibility + turn into a giant dwarf and cleave someone in half. There's nothing like the duergar for reminding you that the drow are undisciplined, lazy, weak-minded, spider-hugging pansies.

Toliudar
2008-06-05, 01:17 AM
I tend towards brutes and squirts - so, orcs and half-giants on one extreme, and halflings and gnomes on the other.

starwoof
2008-06-05, 01:22 AM
If I'm playing some sort of "conventional" campaign I tend to be an elf or a dwarf, but when I get free reign I play a Githyanki or a Whisper Gnome.:smallbiggrin:

I like githyanki for their baroque armor and stuff. They are essentially space pirates.

Jayngfet
2008-06-05, 01:29 AM
Uhh... Can you please explain that so my non-DnD-playing brain can comprehend it? I don't know what that means, exactly...

In short, if the guy's sticking with "standard" stuff, no Kobolds for me? :smallfrown:

If you're using core only you're ok, PHB only and you're screwed.

ghost_warlock
2008-06-05, 02:02 AM
I like kobolds, synads, and thri-kreen. The crunch of these races tends to be underwhelming, though, so I usually end up as a human or gnome.

Ned the undead
2008-06-05, 10:52 AM

Core rulebooks are: Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, and the Dungeon Master's Guide. Kobolds are in the MM so I don't see why not.
LA= Level Adjustment. It's for when a race or template is to strong so it takes up levels. For instance the Mummy template has a LA of +4 so a Mummified Elf Sorceror 1 is an equivelent to a 5th level Elf Sorceror.

Telonius
2008-06-05, 12:29 PM
For general play, Gnomes, Elves, and Dwarves, in that order. Changelings (from Eberron) can be enjoyable too, depending on the type of campaign; though they're only a bit above half-elves for racial abilities.

protosswarrior
2008-06-05, 05:13 PM
warforged. because they're awesome pseudo-robot creatures.

same for me, though i prefer them for their vast immunities and built in armor

_Puppetmaster_
2008-06-05, 05:30 PM
I like Gnomes, Poison Dusk Lizardfolk, Warforged (when I play barbarians), Changlings, and Thri-Kreen.

I usually play a Gnome or a Human, though.

I have decided that I am sick of elves. I only use them in theoretical optimization builds.

sonofzeal
2008-06-05, 05:43 PM
I love playing exotic races, the less the people know about em the better. Usually after I play a character of some race I will never play that race again...but I am odd like that. My favorite race in 3.5 is a tie between Killoren (races of the wild) and Goliaths (races of stone.)
Same here. I love Dwarves though (I favour reliability over showiness).

AmberVael
2008-06-05, 05:53 PM
I'm personally fond of Elves, but amusingly I don't play them very often. I think what actually makes them more appealing is not so much the idea of "we are elder super race" as much as it is just how they're built. For whatever reason, mostly hairless, overly feminine, and slight builds just appeal to me more than someone strong and durable. I'd rather rush around dexterously and nimbly rather than have good strength and durability. Idk- I like elves, I just like to think that it isn't just because they're elves and "ELVES ARE TEH AWESOME" but because it's just what I always have liked (and like in real life as well).
*shrug*
/rant

As for races... I'm fond of the Elan race for psionic characters. Humans are fairly nice to play, and Tieflings are pretty nifty too. Gray Elves are pretty prominent in my line up as well.

PaladinBoy
2008-06-05, 06:52 PM
I play humans or half-elves mostly. Humans because I like the skill point and feat boosts, and half-elves because in Eberron, they get the coolest dragonmark (yay Mark of Storm!).

GrassyGnoll
2008-06-05, 06:59 PM
Thri-keen, mongrelfolk, sharakim, and drow. The first because dual-wielding halberds is awesome, the middle two for their not-quite-human-but-close feel, and the last for their venomous hatred of all other elves.

skywalker
2008-06-05, 07:03 PM
I liked half-elves the best until I started playing 3.5. Now I'm really excited for half-elves to not suck again.

I just like the "born leader" ideal.

ShadowSiege
2008-06-05, 07:16 PM
I just love those pitiful humans. Though, I also play elves and the Eberron/MM3 races (warforged, changeling, shifter, but not really big on psionics so no Kalashtar).

Nada Rakshasa
2008-06-05, 07:19 PM
It took me a long time to settle on a favorite race, but I've gotta go with Whisper Gnomes. Small, stealthy and perfect for my favorite class, Rogue.

Vulion
2008-06-05, 07:35 PM
Me favorites are:

Changelings, Elves and Human.

Silence
2008-06-05, 07:43 PM
Whenever I play a battle or stealth character, I play human for the extra feat or skills (respectively), but when I play spellcasting (I only play sorceres) I use halflings because of all the fun abilities, and, who doesnt' like playing a small character?

Myatar_Panwar
2008-06-05, 07:59 PM
I love playing a human. Although I do find it strange that my favorite race in a fantasy game is the least fantastic of them all. :smallconfused:

Oh and Silence, your avatar = win.

Hyudra
2008-06-05, 09:41 PM
Mostly play humans, but have dabbled in gnome as of late.

For a long time, I've been itching to play dragon-as-a-PC-class.

Since 4e came out with monster races actually being playable, I've had my eye on Bugbear (who needs more time in the spotlight), Gnoll (I've always liked Gnolls) and Kobold.

1condor12
2008-06-05, 09:51 PM
i play any race with a shapeshifting ability. that is just because 1) i am new at this and i dont care about rping at this time 2) with a shapeshifter it is easy to think your way out of any problem. if you think hard enough there is a way to shapeshift your way around any problem. and finally) my dm is very lax about races so i have always gone with shapeshifters. also he letts us get cool races. there is a dargon in human form, a giant that drank a shrinking potion so that he is the size of a human but the stringth of a giant, and me a irda withought the shapeshifting restrictions. so you have to go with a cool race just to get by in his campeins.

but out of the phb races i pick elf because i allways play a caster.

Agamid
2008-06-05, 10:10 PM
1. Surface Elves
2. Drow
3. Half Elves
4. Kobolds
5. Curst/Fey'ri

Nohwl
2008-06-05, 11:18 PM
my favorite races are half elves and elves. but i usually play humans just because i get more use out of the bonus feat.

my least favorite races are gnomes and halflings.

Kiara LeSabre
2008-06-05, 11:31 PM
Drow (preferably evil or at most ambiguously neutral with a touch of anti-heroism; Drizzt-style goody-goodies not so much), humans and halflings top the list for me, I think.

drengnikrafe
2008-06-05, 11:34 PM
First, let me answer for one of my friends, who I believe doesn't post.
"Gnomes"

Now, let me answer for myself.
Due to houserules, and my favored class, I take Elf (which gets +INT +CHA -CON in the houserules). It goes well with Wizard, and I love the feeling of being an elf.

Iudex Fatarum
2008-06-06, 01:00 AM
Personaly, I love Planetouched. so probably my favorite race I've ever written a character in was a Aazimar Aquatic Elf monk. I've also played a werewolf gnome bard that was fun.
I like Aquatic Elfs, and I like Humans a lot.

Hranat
2008-06-06, 01:13 AM
I like humans, because they're anyone, and a bit the standard hero. Gives me more choice to fill in the blanks.

And maybe dwarves when I'm in a hack-slash-axe-or-whatever-in-orc-head mood.

Elixia
2008-06-06, 02:40 AM

I'm fascist. Sue me.
sounds the campaign were currently running >.>

McClintock
2008-06-06, 08:19 AM
Halflings, but only Athasian Halflings... something about feral carnivorous little people that tickles me pink.

Plus my Athasian Halfling Bard/Psion that was lots of fun (2e & houseruled)

Person_Man
2008-06-06, 08:27 AM
Depends. I have a lot of different characters in my head. For some of them, race is a big part of who they are, for others, its unimportant.

But if during character optimization someone accuses me of over optimizing, I'll often go with Kobold - just to show them that even with lousy racial penalties and having every other race in the game world hate you, you can be a powerful and fun PC.

Leon
2008-06-06, 08:49 AM
I like a fair few.
Trollkin, Tharn, Human, Nyss (Elf), Wild Elf, Dwarf, Whisper Gnome (the only good gnome) and Thri-Kreen

Curmudgeon
2008-06-06, 03:42 PM
Depends on the class. For WIS- and CHA-based classes, Aasimar are nifty. Buy off the LA for 3,000 XP at level 3; it's well worth the racial benefits. This also lets Bards and Sorcerers use Alter Self to assume nifty outsider forms.

For Rogues, you gotta love the Human bonus feat and bonus skill points.

SurlySeraph
2008-06-06, 05:01 PM
But if during character optimization someone accuses me of over optimizing, I'll often go with Kobold - just to show them that even with lousy racial penalties and having every other race in the game world hate you, you can be a powerful and fun PC.

Doesn't being powerful even as a kobold just prove that the character is optimized? Wasn't that the entirely irony of Pun-Pun, that being a member of a pathetic race is actually the easiest way to become all-powerful?