PDA

View Full Version : Character Concept: Anime Fanboy Turned Mad Scientist

Leliel
2008-06-04, 04:39 PM
Well...Read the tin.

Basically, this guy was originally an otaku, but due to mental modification, he gained extreme intelligence, a disregard for praticality, a want for world domination (or at least a couple nations), and a seemingly-infinite amount of resources. Well, that last part comes more with the territorry than the actual mental modification, but moving on...

Even so, he's still an anime fanboy at heart, and now that he has the knowlege, he's going to base his army around his favorite Japanamations (Otacon, eat your heart out).

So, is this a good-if-completely-bonkers idea? What should some of his sample creations be?

Indon
2008-06-04, 05:07 PM
Which game system?

What may be viable in one game system may be ridiculous in another.

Leliel
2008-06-04, 05:15 PM
Which game system?

What may be viable in one game system may be ridiculous in another.

Any, really. He doesn't have a codified group of stats, he's just a concept as pf yet.

Xuincherguixe
2008-06-04, 05:16 PM
I think the way the players defeat this character is that they point out that he's becoming cliche, and that he's basically no longer in control of his own actions. He's just being led around, and that he needs to decide what it is he truly wants.

If they just tell him he's being stupid, they just have to beat him up the old fashion way, and there's a lot of fun explosions.

edit: I realize this might have sounded meaner than it should have. It wasn't supposed to. I just figure that something like this needs a weird way to end.

NephandiMan
2008-06-04, 07:17 PM
The brilliance of this idea is...well, let's just say that 3^2*10^3 is insufficient to properly quantify it.

You should animate a suit of armor and call it Al.

Admiral Squish
2008-06-04, 08:57 PM
The brilliance of this idea is...well, let's just say that 3^2*10^3 is insufficient to properly quantify it.

You should animate a suit of armor and call it Al.

Better yet, an iron golem, and a half-golem mage.

NephandiMan
2008-06-05, 12:56 AM
Well, I didn't want to make the ripoff too obvious. :smalltongue:

Besides, he can't exactly shout "IT'S ALIIIIIVE!" if he animates a half-golem, can he?

Cubey
2008-06-05, 01:45 AM
You can't go wrong with giant robots. Alternatively, for a more biological approach: tentacle monsters.

Jayngfet
2008-06-05, 01:50 AM
Give him the ability to cast animate object on a castle.

Behold_the_Void
2008-06-05, 01:55 AM
Give him the ability to cast animate object on a castle.

And let the castle transform into a giant mecha, which can impale things on its spires, which are now it's arms, and then assimilate it into its being and grow even bigger.

Hectonkhyres
2008-06-05, 02:02 AM
Taking over a substantial segment of the world will be #2 on his list. Number one will be, of course, relieving himself of his chronic virginity. Mind control, building himself a girlfriend, just using all his cool crap to impress the hell out of somebody. Yeah.

Bonus points if he is a geeky 14 year old and actually succeeds in one or all of those categories. Even more bonus points if he had an interest in anime and other cultural phenomena he shouldn't be.... and if he subconciously mixes these together when making blueprints.

JeminiZero
2008-06-05, 02:12 AM
He could try the following:

-Create Giant Robots with powerful energy shielding
-Run by cloned girls with short blue hair and implanted memories
-Or Long Red hair if you happen to swing that way

-Threaten the City/Nation/World Governments
-That unless they comply, he will release a thermal sensitive gender distortion formula into the waters of the world.
-Which basically means that everyone will flip gender when splashed with cold water
-And go back to normal when splashed with hot
-Although it may not necessary be gender distortion, they could just transform into a Zoo of animals

-Make genetically modified super soldiers
-Who shout out all their attacks before actually performing them
-And their black hair turns yellow when they power up
-Turning into giant monkeys during a full moon may help

Edit:

-Have his "Ace" be an unkillable Vampire
-With red trenchcoat, wide brim hat and a pair of pistols
-For a sidekick, give a blonde vampire police girl with a heavy cannon.
-For added humor, have both of them behave inappropriately
-Like the Ace Vampire constantly complaining that his sidekick has a better gun than him.
-(No, not that kind of inappropriately)

-There would be a Suzimiya Haruhi reference here, but I'm not sure how that would help World Domination.

And finally, make sure he reads the Evil Overlord List (http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html)!

NephandiMan
2008-06-05, 03:36 AM
Are you kidding? How could Haruhi not help with world domination?

JeminiZero
2008-06-05, 04:51 AM
Its a bit difficult to use Haruhi to dominate the world, simply because it is extremely difficult to control a God. And like any good okaku, he should know that those who create Gods, and try to control them almost evitably end up being destroyed by them.

Therefore his best options might be to:
1) Transform himself into Haruhi (bleagh :smallyuk:)
2) Create Haruhi as a doomsday superweapon and threaten to release her unless the world bows to his command (difficult since he would need to convince others that he is willing to destroy his own territory and himself in the first place.)
3) Create a new religion called Haruhi-ism, and set himself up as its Pope (or its equivelent), thereby letting him command the hearts and minds of millions of other Otakus across the world.

Solo
2008-06-05, 04:53 AM
You can't go wrong with giant robots. Alternatively, for a more biological approach: tentacle monsters.

With Improved Grapple and piercing damage.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-06-05, 04:56 AM
Robotic tentacle monsters do exist. Or so I heard.

kamikasei
2008-06-05, 05:02 AM
Possibly as an attempt to make himself a girlfriend, possibly just as an interface to his media collection, one of his minions is a four-foot-tall blue-haired chick with an encyclopedic knowledge of otaku culture and a permanent cat grin. She may or may not have a counterpart with lavender hair and twintails.

-There would be a Suzimiya Haruhi reference here, but I'm not sure how that would help World Domination.

One of his lieutenants should be a useless but adorable moeblob, commanding a force of cat-headed Chippendales. Other lieutenants would include a guy who just hangs around making sarcastic comments to stop him getting too full of himself, an ambiguously gay schemer and telepath, and a silent chick made of pure awesome.

His herald has green hair, boundless energy, and a speech impediment.

Solo
2008-06-05, 05:07 AM
Other lieutenants would include a guy who just hangs around making sarcastic comments to stop him getting too full of himself

Sounds familiar.

bosssmiley
2008-06-05, 05:10 AM
Robotic tentacle monsters do exist. Or so I heard.

Verified (http://hight3ch.com/post/mechanical-squid/) by the font of all knowledge (http://www.google.com/). :smallcool:

Otaku mad scientist. Is the Dresden Kodak (http://dresdencodak.com/) webcomic T-shirt vending website an appropriate link here? :smallconfused:

Solo
2008-06-05, 05:14 AM
Robotic tentacles do exist? Astounding news.

UglyPanda
2008-06-05, 06:47 AM
I can't believe that nobody mentioned catgirls. Crazy Otaku scientists should always have catgirls.

You could always have him slowly slipping further and further into classic villain stupidity, in a sort of Flowers for Algernon situation with his genre savviness. Or he just slowly realizes that by the laws of anime, he cannot win and must either die, disappear from the face of the earth, or become a member of the good guys.

Indon
2008-06-05, 09:51 AM
I can't believe that nobody mentioned catgirls. Crazy Otaku scientists should always have catgirls.

Every time one of the PC's question the possibility of one of the scientists' designs, one of the catgirls (chosen at random) have to make a Fort save vs 1d4 Con damage.

kamikasei
2008-06-05, 09:56 AM
Something non-violent in the organization - medical, catering, whatever - is handled by a Yamato Nadeshiko character it'll be impossible for the players to dislike. This character is actually male. Bonus points if he's a nun or something.

Sounds familiar.

I should clarify that the lieutenant makes the sarcastic comments because they're appropriate. The mad scientist keeps him around so his comments will keep the mad scientist's ego in check.

Xuincherguixe
2008-06-05, 09:57 AM
Every time one of the PC's question the possibility of one of the scientists' designs, one of the catgirls (chosen at random) have to make a Fort save vs 1d4 Con damage.

Ah! But it might not be an entirely fantasy game.

elliott20
2008-06-05, 10:11 AM
honestly, most of the things that would make him an effective villain will still be largely the same if he WASN'T an otaku. His otaku-ness really should be mostly flavor. I mean, if you're going to make him an effective villain, than he's more likely to understand the fundamentals of a good operation and would still value those things over just having KAWAII NEKO NEKO DESU crap littering his fortress. beyond that, it really depends how crazy of an otaku he really is.

so here's how I see how being an otaku scientist effects him
- aesthetically, he's going to go for anime style look when his resources allow him to. His golems will invariably have a lot of brighter colors and have a unique design to them.
- chances are, he'll have scientifically engineered some kind of race that is lifted from his favorite anime. Catgirl is an easy one to throw out there.
- I think the whole teenage virgin thing is just not going to work well as a villain. Something like that will quickly make him go from villain to slapstick comedy victim.

bosssmiley
2008-06-06, 07:43 AM

"Screw the laws of physics, I have money! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Yu-Gi-OhTheAbridgedSeries)" :smallbiggrin:

NephandiMan
2008-06-08, 02:32 AM
Possibly as an attempt to make himself a girlfriend, possibly just as an interface to his media collection, one of his minions is a four-foot-tall blue-haired chick with an encyclopedic knowledge of otaku culture and a permanent cat grin.

My next villain is SO having a Konata golem. With rapid-fire punching and hurricane kick capabilities.