PDA

View Full Version : AAAAHHH!!!! Homework management!

Gem Flower
2008-06-04, 04:45 PM
I've got a big problem. I'm doing this project on Venus (the planet), and I'm really, really behind. Because it's probably boring, I'll spoiler it.

Ok, so for this project, I need to;
1. Make a 3-D model of the planet, with major landmarks. Apparently there are 3 hemispheres, which MAKES NO SENSE! I've got the supplies and the base colour painted on, but I can't find any suitable maps!
2. Make a complete, typed bibliography which has a mandatory variety of supplies. (Half-done)
3. Presentation. We're supposed to be travel agents, so we have to design habitations and attractions to convince people to come to our planet for a vacation. (Intro and conclusion done, body very, very, very lacking.)
4. Attractions. We are supposed to build 3-D models of 2-3 of our attractions. (Not even started)
5. Legend. A legend for the model. (Not even started.)
Ok, so I think that's it. Can anybody help?

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-06-04, 05:31 PM
try this site (http://www.nineplanets.org/venus.html), or this (http://www.fas.org/irp/imint/docs/rst/Sect19/PionVen-mapIDs-CM.jpg).

Gem Flower
2008-06-04, 05:40 PM
I kinda already saw the first site, and the second pic, but I wasn't looking very hard at the pic, and thought it was incomplete. I now see that it isn't, so you've solved my model problem! I still have no idea how I'm going to be done this project by June 10, but you've solved an entire problem! For that, you get an A+! http://school.discoveryeducation.com/clipart/images/a-bear.gif

Vavaara
2008-06-04, 05:43 PM
Have a Sulfuric Acid Water Park. Loads of fun, and best of all you don't have the disappointment of reaching the end of the rides!

Gem Flower
2008-06-04, 05:48 PM
Ahem, let me reiterate. I'm trying to get people to WANT to come to my planet.:smallwink:

Vavaara
2008-06-04, 05:53 PM
Fine. Is this present-day insulated or future-terraformed Venus? 'Cause if so, I have some cool atmospheric effects that would (probably) work with either.

Thiel
2008-06-04, 05:58 PM
You'll obviously need some kind of Tunnel of Love. Venus is, after all, the planet of love.

Also, you'll need to decide a few things.
1. How do we get there?

You don't worry about how they get from earth to Venus, but you'll want to decide how your guests gets from orbit and down to the planet. Are they going to have to suffer through re-entry or can they take the space elevator? In case of re-entry, does the entire ship land or will the passengers be transferred to shuttles?
2. Where do we stay?

How are the guests accommodated? Is there a grand hotel or do they live in cottages?
3. How long do we stay?

Are we talking day trips, a week or two or several months, possibly years, at a time?
4. How much does it cost?

Don't give an actual price, but make it clear whether you're targeting millionaires or worker families.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2008-06-04, 08:20 PM
Hey, I remember doing a project like that in my not-quite-finished youth. Except all we needed was a minor report on the planet and a brochure about our tourist trap.

I did Uranus, and really played up the elite safari hunting experiences.

Arioch
2008-06-05, 02:45 PM
Three hemispheres? Really? So, Venus is actually one-and-a-half planets?

Gem Flower
2008-06-05, 02:59 PM
@ Arioch, I know, it makes no sense! I went to a credible, good website and it gave me incredibly detailed maps of the Artemis hemisphere, the Maxwell hemisphere, and another one the name of which I can't recall.

@ Thiel,
1. Done
2. Done
3. Done
4. Done
My real problem is getting everything physical done. I know all my stuff, it's just gonna take forever to get down properly and I don't have much time!

@ Vavaara, Present day Venus, but with futuristic technologies, ie; transporting e-mail information from Earth to Venus, ignoring many laws of the universe, etc.:smallwink: It is kind of a fun project.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-06-05, 03:31 PM
Hell, Earth has four hemispheres, at least - north, south, west, east.

Thiel
2008-06-05, 04:46 PM
Does those 3D models have to be actual physical models or will computer models do?
If it's the latter then I'll recommend Google SketchUp. It's drop dead simple and gives a fairly decent result.

Arioch
2008-06-06, 12:12 PM
Hell, Earth has four hemispheres, at least - north, south, west, east.

You're right, but by that logic you could say that any sphere has an infinite number of hemispheres. It does, but only two are relevant at any one time.

I checked about the three-hemispheres-of-Venus thing. Turns out three original pictures of Mars were taken from space - one from 0 degrees, one from 120, and one from 240. Each captured a single hemisphere. I imagine something similar applies to Venus.

Vavaara
2008-06-08, 03:12 PM
Only 2 days left! How's it coming?

Oh, and I was going to mention the effect of St. Elmo's Fire on local metals and stuff. Makes it look like everything has a greenish fire. Ball lightning is also a debatably common phenomenon, thanks to the interactions between the Sun's closer magnetic field and Venus's atmosphere. Dont quote me on this, as I'm remembering this off the top of my head, but it'd be pretty cool in my opinion.