PDA

View Full Version : Rules lawyers and comic fanatics alike...

Pester
2008-06-04, 11:08 PM
Does Haley usually get sneak attacks, because she always attacks ranged? Or is it only when she's either right next to the opponent, the surprise round, or invisible, although I don't think that last one's actually happened in the comic itself...

Liwen
2008-06-05, 01:13 AM
Haley's a rogue. She follows the rules of rogue on sneak attacks like any of them. She can only sneak attack with a ranged weapon at point blank range (30 feet) or with a melee weapon, but in order to do that, the ennemy must not be aware of her position. She can also get sneak attacks if she is flanking a opponent with the help of another character.

She can't sneak attack any any undeads of constructs because their bodies don't have any critical point where she could strike. She can't sneak attack a monster if she is incapable of striking a weak point because it is out of reach or well protected.

I believe once Rich broke one of those rules, but I can't remember when.

tyckspoon
2008-06-05, 01:36 AM
Haley seems to rely on a good Initiative check most of the time, so she can take advantage of the rule that you are flat-footed until you take your first action in a combat. She doesn't do very much to try and arrange for Sneak Attacks in extended combats, and so generally doesn't get them.

krossbow
2008-06-05, 08:10 AM
Rich is going for style over substance in this situation.

The female archer trope is cherished favorite, though its a horrible build for rogues usually.

However, since it fits her character so much better than the more useful dual wielding rogue of doom (TM), Its something i am glad to see used.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-06-05, 11:55 AM
She doesn't do very much to try and arrange for Sneak Attacks in extended combats, and so generally doesn't get them.
Largely because archers cannot flank or feint. The only way for a ranged rogue to get sneak attacks after the first regular round of combat is to Bluff and Hide (creating-a-diversion-to-hide) or somehow become invisible.

Frosty
2008-06-05, 12:51 PM
Maybe Haley should multiclass into a Scout.

David Argall
2008-06-05, 01:14 PM
I believe once Rich broke one of those rules, but I can't remember when.
Two candidates would be 18 & 396. Fussy judges might well reject either or both. Reasonable judges [those you are able to con that your cheese is not that rotten] might let either get by. But neither target is clearly surprised.