PDA

View Full Version : Making 4e Post-Apocolyptic

Vadin
2008-06-04, 11:54 PM
As the title says, here's my take (with help from the community, of course) on how to make Fourth Edition D&D into a future-tech post-apocolyptic game with only a few changes, the result of watching Solarbabies (that movie has so much potential...) with a friend of mine.

Changes To Power Sources
The Arcane power source becomes the Hypertech power source. Hypertech deals primarily with the manipulation of raw forces and elements through high-tech scientific devices, like nanobots and portable force generators.

The Divine power source becomes the Tech power source. Tech deals more with the application of technology to enhance combat effectiveness and heal the wounded through more comprehensible and practical means than Hypertech. Instead of nanobots and force generators, Tech uses chemical injectors and skin sealant to heal and energy fields and beam focusers to enhance weapon use.

The Arcana skill becomes the Science skill and all Detect DCs are increased by +5, and the Religion skill becomes the Philosophy skill and the DC to discern information about undead is increased by +5. The DCs for all Monster Knowledge checks are increased by +5 (this stacks with the +5 DC increase in the Philosophy skill, for a net +10 DC increase). Skills remain unchanged beyond this.

Changes To Classes
Rangers and rogues add proficiency in lasers and guns.

The Wizard is renamed the Mad Scientist. He uses science to alter and control the field of battle and manipulate his foes.

An Eladrin Mad Scientist prepares to release a blast of energy.
http://www.mutantpedia.com/Immagini,%20Avatar%20e%20Video/Immagini%20Mutant%20Chronicles/Studio%20Parente/keeperofart.jpg

The Warlock is renamed the Wielder. He uses advanced technology to grant himself unique abilities and blast his enemies with powerful devices.

A Wielder shoots an entropic beam at a foe.
http://www.mutantpedia.com/Immagini,%20Avatar%20e%20Video/Immagini%20Mutant%20Chronicles/Studio%20Parente/quentinkell.jpg

The Paladin is renamed the Disciple. He is a student of technological enhancement, bettering himself and his weapons with chemicals and laser attachments.

A Disciple stands watch, ready to smite his foes.
http://www.mutantpedia.com/Immagini,%20Avatar%20e%20Video/Immagini%20Mutant%20Chronicles/Studio%20Parente/sacretwarrior.jpg

The Cleric is renamed the Techmaster. He utilizes his abilities to restore life to his allies with the latest injections and serums and uses lasers to destroy his enemies.

A Techmaster prepares to make hasty repairs to his ally's advanced armor.
http://www.mutantpedia.com/Immagini,%20Avatar%20e%20Video/Immagini%20Mutant%20Chronicles/Studio%20Parente/kr-technomancer.jpg

Changes to Implements
Orbs are changed to Homes, stations for Nanobots to rest and recharge in.
Staves and Wands are changed to Blasters, modular devices that can shoot out multiple kinds of energy in a wide variety of formations when properly wielded.
Holy Symbols are changed to Device Arrays, collections of small devices typically held in a bag, installed on an armor panel, or kept in a convenient watch/helmet/eyepiece combination. Techmasters must posses a Device Array to be able to use powers that require an implement, whether or not they use the Device Array as the implement.

Changes To Damage Types
Corrosion: Acid/Poison
Toxic substances that harm living creatures (short and long term effects)
Entropy: Cold/Necrotic
Forces that remove energy from an object (chilling and slowing)
Energy: Fire/Radiant
Large amounts of heat (flame and lasers)
Wild: Lightning/Thunder
Raw, unbridled energies (lightning and unfocused energy)
Mental: Psychic/Force
Psychosomatic effects (convince a target they’re wounded or weakened)

If a character possesses two feats that affect the two component damage types don’t stack. Instead, only the highest bonus applies.

New Weapons
Laser Pistol, Simple Ranged Weapon
Proficiency: +2
Damage: 1d4 energy
Range: 3/6
Price: 30 gp
Weight: 1 lb.
Group: Laser
Properties: Load free, Small
Special: This weapon may be used in place of powers that use a melee weapon, changing their range from Melee Weapon to Ranged 3. This is can also be an implement for Techmasters, Disciples, and Wielders who have taken proficiency in lasers. Treat it as a light blade.

Laser Rifle, Military Ranged Weapon
Damage: 1d6 energy
Range: 5/10
Price: 50 gp
Weight: 3 lb.
Group: Laser
Properties: Load minor
Special: This weapon may be used in place of powers that use a melee weapon, changing their range from Melee Weapon to Ranged 5. This is can also be an implement for Techmasters, Disciples, and Wielders who have taken proficiency in lasers. Treat it as a spear or light blade.

Pistol, Simple Ranged Weapon
Damage: 1d6
Range: 10/20
Price: 10 gp
Group: Gun
Special: Every time the character rolls a 1 to hit, they must take a standard action on the next turn to reload the gun.

Light Gun, Military Ranged Weapon
Proficiency: +3
Damage: 1d8
Price: 25 gp
Weight: 2 lb.
Properties: Load free
Special: Every time the character rolls a 1 to hit, they must take a standard action on the next turn to reload the gun.

Heavy Gun, Superior Ranged Weapon
Damage: 1d10

Laser Dagger, Simple Melee Weapon
Damage: 1d4 energy
Group: Light Blade
Properties: Off-hand

Small Laser Sword, Military Melee Weapon
Price: 15 gp
Properties: Off-hand, High-Crit

Large Laser Sword, Military Melee Weapon
Damage: 1d8 energy
Group: Heavy Blade
Properties: High-Crit

Plasma Sword, Superior Melee Weapon
Price: 35 gp
Properties: High-Crit, Brutal 1

New Magic Weapon Qualities
Laser Field Level 3+, 600 gp
Weapon: Any melee or thrown weapon that doesn't deal energy damage
Enhancement: Attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1[W] per plus
Power (At-Will ✦ Weapon): Standard action. Until the end of the encounter or the effect is dismissed, half of the damage the weapon deals is energy damage.
Level 13: The effect is activated with a minor action.
Level 18: The effect is activated with a minor action, but if a standard action is used, all of the damage the weapon deals is energy damage.
Level 23: The effect can be activated automatically at the beginning of a battle or later as a minor action, but if a standard action is used, all of the damage the weapon deals is energy damage.
Level 28: The effect can be activated automatically at the beginning of a battle or later as a minor action, and all of the damage the weapon deals can be energy damage if the user chooses.

Focused Level 4+, 800 gp
Weapon: Any Laser
Enhancement: Half (rounded down) to attack rolls and damage rolls, all damage is energy damage, hit is Dex. vs. Ref., not Dex. vs. AC
Power (Encounter ✦ Weapon): Minor action. Deal an additional 2*Dex. modifier on next attack
Level 14 or 19: Deal an additional 3*Dex. modifier on next attack
Level 24 or 29: Deal an additional 4*Dex. modifier on next attack

Overclocked Level 4+, 800 gp
Weapon: Any Gun or Laser
Enhancement: Double to damage rolls. Weapon reload time is increased by one step up to a maximum of full (free to minor, minor to standard, standard to full)
Power (Encounter ✦ Weapon): Minor action. Deal an additional 2*Str. modifier on next attack
Level 14 or 19: Deal an additional 3*Str. modifier on next attack
Level 24 or 29: Deal an additional 4*Str. modifier on next attack

Precise Level 4+, 800 gp
Enhancement: Attack rolls. Weapon range increased by 25% (based on orginal range, rounded down, minimum 1) per plus. Weapon reload time is increased by one step up to a maximum of full (free to minor, minor to standard, standard to full)
Power (Encounter ✦ Weapon): Minor action. Deal an additional 2*Int. modifier on next attack
Level 14 or 19: Deal an additional 3*Int. modifier on next attack
Level 24 or 29: Deal an additional 4*Int. modifier on next attack[/QUOTE]

Autofire Level 5+, 1000 gp
Power (Encounter ✦ Weapon): Standard action. Dex+2 vs. Reflex against all creatures within 3 squares of you for 2[W]+Dex damage. On miss, enemies instead take Dex modifier damage.
Level 15 or 20: Increase hit to Dex+4 vs. Reflex, increase damage to 3[W]
Level 25 or 30: Increase hit to Dex+6 vs. Reflex, increase damage to 4[W]

Spread Level 5+, 1000 gp
Enhancement: Half (rounded down) to attack rolls and damage rolls, all damage is energy damage, hit is Dex. vs. Fort., not Dex. vs. AC
Critical: +D6 energy damage per plus
Power (Encounter ✦ Weapon): Standard action. Dex+2 vs. Fort. against all creatures within 1 square of target for 2[W]+Dex damage. On miss, enemies instead take half damage.
Level 15 or 20: Increase hit to Dex+4 vs. Fortitude, increase damage to 3[W]
Level 25 or 30: Increase hit to Dex+6 vs. Fortitude, increase damage to 4[W]

Antimatter Level 5+, 1000 gp
Enhancement: Attack rolls and damage rolls, half of damage is entropy damage, not energy damage
Critical: +D6 entropy damage per plus
Power (Encounter ✦ Weapon): Minor action. If next attack against a single target hits, the target is petrified for 1 turn and then slowed for 1 turn afterwards
Level 15 or 20: The target is petrified for 1 turn and then slowed for 2 turns afterwards
Level 25 or 30: The target is petrified for 1 turn and then slowed for 3 turns afterwards

Vadin
2008-06-05, 12:02 AM
Feel free to post power alterations, new races, classes, powers, feats, skills, monsters, anything related to making standard 4e stuff into things that fit into something appropriate a setting where a society that had just received the beginnings of alien tech has fallen and fractured into a controlling mega-empire (rare Hightech, some Tech, mostly Martial), a nature group with tech controlled mutantish animals (rare Hightech, no Tech, mostly Martial), a Mad Max style car group (no Hightech, mostly Tech, some Martial), and an ecoterrorist rebellious-at-all-costs group (rare Hightech, some Tech, some Martial).

Ceiling009
2008-06-05, 12:20 AM
I think I would put the laser pistol more analogous to the short bow, and the rifle to the longbow. I've got more ideas, but they'll probably need a good hashing out....

Vadin
2008-06-05, 12:26 AM
I was thinking of increasing the damage on them, but they can effectively turn clerics into totally ranged fighters. Also they deal half of their damage in energy damage, which could turn out extra powerful against some monsters and weak against others.

Feel free to throw your ideas out here. It may be 1 in the morning, but I'm ready to go for at least another hour or so (or I might pass out in the next 5 minutes, I don't know).

Ceiling009
2008-06-05, 12:42 AM
The reason I say so, is to basically make it on par with what a Ranger would use them for; since in a setting like this, I think laser rifles would pretty much outclass bows and crossbows; well maybe. But I mean, if I were a ranger in that world, I'd definitely trust my B3T-5Y Rifle (named Betsy) over a longbow.

I mean, the other thing would be would you model a gunslinger in this setting? Also, I'm watching Lost Universe right now, and a psi-saber, which is like a light saber powered by psi-energy (it cuts through anything, but drains the user)... that would be interestingly cool weapon in a sci-fi or post apocalyptic setting... though not having seen Solar Babies, I don't really know.

Vadin
2008-06-05, 10:58 AM
I'm thinking that the sling will be renamed the pistol, the shortbow the light gun, the longbow the heavy gun.

Pistol, Simple Ranged Weapon
Damage: 1d6

Light Gun, Military Ranged Weapon
Damage: 1d8
Weight: 2 lb.
Properties: Load free

Heavy Gun, Superior Ranged Weapon
Damage: 1d10

A new 'magic' weapon quality for automatic might be nice. A once per encounter power that says shoot X targets in a Close Burst X for X/2[W] damage?

And while I'm at it, a laser sword, just for the sake of completeness...

Small Laser Sword, Military Melee Weapon
Price: 15 gp
Properties: Off-hand, High-Crit

Large Laser Sword, Military Melee Weapon
Properties: High-Crit

Like with all the guns, there are reasons to take the originals, but there are also reasons to take these.

Vadin
2008-06-05, 12:59 PM
I added some pictures, from this excellent website (http://www.mutantpedia.com/Immagini,%20Avatar%20e%20Video/Immagini%20Mutant%20Chronicles/Studio%20Parente.html).

alchemyprime
2008-06-05, 01:26 PM
You know what I think you need to do to make a post-appocalyptic 4e? Watch Thundarr the Barbarian.

IIt was a fantasy cartoon set in a post-apocalyptic Earth. Magic came back, civilizations crumbled, and wizards and sorcerers were different. Sorcerers were the real magic users. Wizards were more like cyborgs that found the Ancient technologies and used them for thier own needs (like brainwashing an entire village to make an army to charge at another wizard's fortress.)

And it was obviously technology, but everyone called it magic. Ariel was using force field generators. Thundarr's sun sword was a plasma blade.

Eh, so I'd make mine into Thundarr. So sue me. I'm just saying it's all flavor.

Ceiling009
2008-06-05, 01:43 PM
Hmmm... yeah Strafe...Autofire

Autofire
Enhancement levels? (Level 5 +1?)
Weapon: Guns, Pistols, Rifles
Enhancement: Attacks and Damage
Power (Encounter✦Energy)
Standard Action Close Blast 5
Primary Target: Each Creature in Blast
Attack: Dexterity vs Reflex
Hit: 2[W] + Dex or Int
Miss: Dex or Modifier Damage

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-06-05, 01:50 PM
Flavor-wise, this doesn't seem so much post-apocalyptic D&D as it does sci-fi D&D. When I think post-apocalyptic, I think a world where magic has made a disastrous place. Great mages caused some sort of catastrophe, and people were scattered. They're all living very primitively, and you make do with whatever weapons you can. Maybe there's gun technology, but it's more efficient to regularly use bows. The magic items that exist are very, very rare.

Think Dark Ages with a little bit of magic, perhaps. And with maybe one style of weaponry per culture. That, too, I'd imagine that cultures were split from each other, so they'd be re-discovering each other through lore and exploration.

Vadin
2008-06-05, 02:01 PM
Eh, so I'd make mine into Thundarr. So sue me. I'm just saying it's all flavor.

Precisely. It is all flavor. It just help most of us if theres also some mechanical differentiation.

For individual settings, it totally works to make warlocks and wizards into actual magic users. For settings that are, in fact, devoid of magic, the powers are reflavored into things done with technology.

Ceiling: For what class(es) is the power? What level is it? Does it come from a feat?

Ceiling009
2008-06-05, 02:40 PM
that's the power i would add to the guns as a magic weapon?, make it at least level 5 magic weapon of sorts? I mean it's on par with a level 1 wizard encounter power. I'm not really sure on the level of the weapon... Alternatively, I think it could be a power for either a ranger or a homebrew gunslinger class.

Kizara
2008-06-05, 03:33 PM
I think 4ed already is the DnD Apocolypse, so you don't have much work to do. :P

Vadin
2008-06-05, 03:33 PM
Mind if I reformat it a little?

Autofire Level 5+, 1000 gp
Power (Encounter ✦ Weapon): Standard action. Dex+2 vs. Reflex against all creatures within 3 squares of you for 2[W]+Dex damage. On miss, enemies instead take Dex modifier damage.
Level 15 or 20: Increase hit to Dex+4 vs. Reflex, increase damage to 3[W]
Level 25 or 30: Increase hit to Dex+6 vs. Reflex, increase damage to 4[W]

On the magical world after an apocolypse thing, normal D&D works just fine for that. This is more about a futuristic world set a few hundred to a thousand years after a catastrophic event wiped out established society and left fractured remnants of people intact, some with knowledge of and access to advanced technology, others with one or the other, and yet more with neither.

Ceiling009
2008-06-05, 04:00 PM
That certainly works.

Also, I like to relate a lot of idea to a lot of anime I've seen... A good one I think to look at is The Third, it's real magic lite, (well okay, no real magic); but it's a harsh existence, and even though people have some bits and pieces of tech, anything from near Sentient AI's, cybernetics, and tanks; it's still a real points of light setting, and a good swordsman or martial character can still pretty much make a living.

Vadin
2008-06-05, 09:28 PM
That, I think, is part of what seperates good apocolyptic settings from great. In a good one, the man with the tech reigns supreme and is the only focus. In a great one, the man with the trusty gun and heirloom sword and years of training from the School of Hard Knocks can give that tech-man a run for his money. Master Blaster in Mad Max, anyone? The smartest guy and they biggest guy with the smart guy's tech couldn't beat the ever trusty guns. Thats why the martial power source doesn't actual need any change.

Vadin
2008-06-06, 02:00 PM
First post updated with everything so far.

mikeejimbo
2008-06-24, 10:09 PM
How about a laser knife, which would be like a dagger? Only you know, laser.

Vadin
2008-06-27, 08:03 AM
1 new magic weapon quality (Laser Field) and the laser dagger added.

Anyone have any thusly themed paragon paths or feats they've been dying to add?

Goober4473
2008-06-27, 08:33 AM
I love this idea. And I love how 4th Edition is so easy to reflavor that with only some small modifications, you can make it a post-apocalypstic SciFi setting.

Delicious.

Vadin
2008-06-30, 03:47 PM
I too was awed at how malleable 4th edition is. It's the most flavorful unflavored system I've ever seen, and among the easiest to create things for.

Siosilvar
2008-06-30, 04:46 PM
*throws his hands in the air* LAZORS!

*beep* No further comments in mainframe due to lack of primary "fourth edition" dataset. *beep*

DaBull
2008-07-02, 06:32 PM
First, how's it goin Vadin? Oh, yeah, so btb, Steven's dad is the sketchiest person I know... I have fourth edition, all of it, and I got it from Steven's dad, for free... Wonderous stuff...
Hope u (and Devi, for that matter) are being good while you are away... Then again, she and I are postponed, so I guess she can do whatever she wants... Thinking she isn't going to come back to me still? Oh well... I'm getting really good at this whole picking up girls thing, though I really actually did like Devi, I wasn't being a prick or anything...

ANYWAY! Back on to topic for everyone else in this board. I guess I'll fill in some flavor for everyone who hasn't seen the movie. Vadin and I filled in some of the blank spots, so there are some changes. This is majorly a basic overview. For example, for a game set where almost everyone belongs to a faction, factions are nowhere mentioned in this... Speaking of that, I think that's what I'll do next...

"In the year 2000, at the dawn of a new millenium, America was contacted by beings from another world. It was a super-race of star-faring aliens from a planet beyond our observation.
This triggered a century of Renaissance. Science and technology bloomed as the aliens distributed their technology to any and all who desired it. They ended famine, wars, disease, poverty, any ailment the human race had.
For 100 years, America slowly drew away from the world outsid themem and no-one really seemed to notice their passing. Foreign radio sinals were dropped, telephone lines were cut. No contact came from the outside world. It seemed as though the world was perfectly happy with the U.S. out of the picture. The aliens had told them as much at the outset, and had advised them to do so. 'Why seek parlay with lesser nations of the world when you yourselves are totally self-sufficient. Contact with others simply causes mistrust, misunderstanding, and war. Our society had done away with all its neighbors, and look how we have developed.'
As the centennial of the aliens' coming neared, humanity and alienity prepared to celebrate the coming of the aliens in a vast, nation-wide, year-long festival. This was never to come to pass. New Year's Eve 2100, a massive volcano under Old Faithful, a geyser in Yellowstone National Arboretum (it had been enhanced by alien technology, and was more of a wild utopia then a wildlife preserve) exploded. It was though the Earth was throwing up its core. For two months the volcano erupted forth, choking off the planet with ash, killing most all plant and animal life. The volcano built up a mountain so massive, it's shape would have been apparent from space, had the aliens not disencouraged space flight. Hundreds of millions died.
And, once the dust cleared, the totally disjoined, leaderless, helpless remnants of humanity realized that the aliens had gone. In fact, they had left the very day the eruption had begun.
America descended into anarchy and upheaval. It is now around 3100, the world has settled down, but only a bit. The wars for freedom and control still wage, and death, famine, and disease are all very apparent realities..."

DaBull
2008-07-02, 06:33 PM
Also, just in case anyone is thinking it, no, I don't know how to make the paragraph hiders... Oh well...

DaBull
2008-07-02, 06:51 PM
Basic Faction Rundown:

The Environmental Protectorate (Major Faction)
The Protectorate relies heavily on human-made technology. Core derived from descendants of pre-fall military and military research elements. Primary force in Solarbabies-based setting. Additionally, they managed to gain an almost complete monopoly on water becuase they managed to organize much faster than the other factions. Because they had better tech early on, they carted off all water they could find (which had become fairly scarce when not in the ocean, and desalination development is kinda hard when there's no water that's drinkable in the margin), and they condense as much as they can from the air. They kinda made the planet a desert...

The Eco Warriors (Major Faction)
Think hippies gone terrorist. Then force them to create some sort of societal group. They do things wierd, that's just how they roll. For example, their capital city is built inside a giant underground cavern full of water. They don't really have a large development of organized government because they're constantly in hiding from the Protectorate. The favor crossbows as a basic weapon because they are quieter. Of course, these crossbows are massive and tricked out, but still...
They are essentially the resistance to the Portectorate, and they maintain guerilla warfare attacks on them.
They also are water independent, which is a big deal. They build their cities around hidden sources of water that have not been taken already.

The Chicani (Major Faction)
These are like Native Americans crossed with the natives of Arakkis from Dune. They solve most of their problems through environmental adaptation and cultural customs. For example, they use parasitic gecko-like creatures to store water on their bodies, and they also have the same style water restrictions as the natives of Arakkis. They revere alien tech that was left behind as magical, and their shamans use it to great effect. They are by far the most mysterious of the factions.

Additionally, Vadin and I were thinking about several smaller factions. Our best idea was a vehicle-based faction. What is a good P-A without a little Road Warrior?

Darkkwalker
2008-07-03, 12:42 AM
I like where this is going. A place for some insperation perhaps would be a web comic entitled: The Wandering Ones. Very well written and well drawn. Post-apocalyptic. But not quite in the same way. Good place to draw insperation I think. Especially for the Chicani.

Vadin
2008-07-24, 11:04 AM
Super update!

Lots of things from the wizards boards added.

And has anyone found/homebrewed an easy method to place multiple enchantments on weapons?

Also...mutant template!

Mutant
Members of other races with mutations are called mutants, and are, at best, strange.
Average Height: As base race
Average Weight: As base race
----
Abilities: +2 to an ability score the base race has a bonus to. The mutant also gains a bonus to the other attribute that the base race's second attribute's corresponding save can use. (Sounds confusing, but if the other bonus was dexterity, the new bonus is intelligence. If it was strength, the bonus is constitution. If it was charisma, the bonus is will.)
Size: As base race, unless player chooses to change it (if small, mutant may choose medium. If medium, mutant may choose large or small. If large, mutant may choose medium)
Speed: As base race, -1 if size decreases, +1 if size increases
Vision: As base race
----
Languages: Common
Skills: +2 to a skill that uses the key attribute of the bonus derived from the race if the character isn't large, +2 to a skill that uses the second chosen bonus attribute.
----
Bonus Feat: Any one bonus feat
Racial Ability: Mutants posess the base race's racial ability.
Racial Aspect: Mutants choose one special ability possesed by the base race (like a Dwarf's Second Wind or a race's automatic weapon proficiency or racial attack bonus).

Vadin
2008-09-02, 07:45 PM
BUMP for potential contest entry and to potentially renew interest.

Lord_Asmodeus
2009-08-15, 01:45 PM
Forgive me for the necromancy, but I just LOVED this idea (necromancy is performed with full consent of the OP, if that's a factor) Assuming aliens are allowed as races, I had an idea for a race, I also had some ideas for class changes.

First off, the race:

Vex

Racial Traits:
Height: 6'6" - 7'3"
Weight: 140-200 lb

Ability Scores: +2 Strength +2 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Darkvision

Languages: Vexican, Common
Skill Bonuses: +2 Philosophy +2 Perception

Racial Bonuses:
Thick Hide: Thick fur and tough leathery skin grant you natural armor +2 to AC
Furious Will: Your powerful willpower allows you to resist psychic damage, +5 bonus against mental attacks
Applied Entropy: Apply a +2 Entropy bonus to attacks

The Vex, also known as the Hierophants, are a large ape-like race with strong zealous connections to their ancient now dead world. The Vex have come to the world in search of a new home. Though it is partially in ruins, this one will have to suit there purposes. Most of their race is still in search of other worlds to inhabit, but the expeditionary force has established a permanent base.

That's what I've got so far, more to come

AgentPaper
2009-08-15, 03:21 PM
I like this, but I would recommend nixing the "have to reload if you roll a 1" mechanic. It's just pointlessly annoying and not even close to realistic. Just have the same ammunition rules that normal 4E uses, and assume that everyone will ignore them for the most part. I'd also just replace all the weapons with "high tech" knockoffs, IE longbow with laser rifle, longsword with laser sword, etc etc. Then make exotic weapons into extra high-tech versions, for example replacing "laser sword" with "plasma sword" for the bastard sword. Then, the magic weapons just become special add-ons you can put on them. The fluff is infinitely mutable, and the mechanics don't need any real changes.

Also:

Abilities: +2 to an ability score the base race has a bonus to. The mutant also gains a bonus to the other attribute that the base race's second attribute's corresponding save can use. (Sounds confusing, but if the other bonus was dexterity, the new bonus is intelligence. If it was strength, the bonus is constitution. If it was charisma, the bonus is will.)

Hmm, so an eladrin wizard can start with 24 int or dex? (18 base, +2 racial, +2 mutant, +2 mutant again) And humans only get one +2 bonus instead of two?

NorseItalian
2009-08-15, 03:48 PM
I'd also just replace all the weapons with "high tech" knockoffs, IE longbow with laser rifle, longsword with laser sword, etc etc. Then make exotic weapons into extra high-tech versions, for example replacing "laser sword" with "plasma sword" for the bastard sword.

http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0001.html

Vadin
2009-08-15, 04:06 PM
Hmm, so an eladrin wizard can start with 24 int or dex? (18 base, +2 racial, +2 mutant, +2 mutant again) And humans only get one +2 bonus instead of two?

No, the eladrin could start with 22 int. 18 base, +2 mutant, +2 also mutant. And humans only get one +2 bonus instead of two.

Also, the mutant rules are exceptionally confusing. I would like a way to apply that to a character without having to do a huge amount of work.

Maybe giving them a choice of one ability to gain a +2 to and a list of other things they can spend points on. For example, a racial proficiency would be a point, a resistance might be 2 points, etc.

Their racial power would be one of a list and could also have features that could be bought (with a seperate pool of points, of course- for example, it might cost 1 point to increase the damage die by one size, or change the temporary hp granted to actual healing).

AgentPaper, any thoughts on how to balance/make something like that?

Lord_Asmodeus
2009-08-15, 04:26 PM
Here's a class change idea, but it's pretty cliche:

Rangers name changes to Bounty Hunter, powerful hunters who wield a variety of weapons, sometimes even taming wild and dangerous animals to help them on their hunts, Bounty Hunters might be anything from private contractors to freelance mercenaries, but in the bounty hunters world only one thing is constant, profit is king.

Bounty Hunter staring down his target after a long hunt

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs36/i/2008/264/2/b/Ranger_by_Eiichiro.jpg

Also, I would suggest maybe changing the wizards changed name, to I dunno techn-magician or something. Or maybe just change the Wielder and Wizard pictures, it's all cosmetic really.