PDA

View Full Version : Why universe hate Solo?

Solo
2008-06-05, 02:38 AM
So, two days ago, I stubbed my big toe against the bottom of a coffee table and thought nothing of it.

Yesterday, I noticed some bleeding, but was able to take care of it.

Today, I couldn't walk without a lot of pain, and went to the hospital. Appearently, two days ago, I tore off the front 2/3rds of my toenail, and will be not be able to walk much for the next few days.

This comes into conflict with the fact that I have to walk a bit to get to the place I am interning at.

Currently, the plan is to keep the area disinfected and clean (possibly also taped down with a bandaid) and wait for the torn portion to grow out - it will take quite a while, but I prefer that to the alternative of having it pulled.

So, that's two medical cases within my first month in China. Whup de doo...

SurlySeraph
2008-06-05, 02:39 AM
Oww. Don't worry, it'll grow. Just don't touch it. Or wear anything that touches it. Or look at it.

Solo
2008-06-05, 02:48 AM
Too late; I've already started cutting it back to reduce the space inside for bacteria and moisture to collect.

CrazedGoblin
2008-06-05, 04:44 AM
i allways have problems with my toe nails im having my big toe nail taken off soon, ooo eerrr :smalleek:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-05, 04:55 AM
Come join us the sad bunch we are in the Depression Thread Solo....

:smallfrown:

Dave Rapp
2008-06-05, 04:56 AM
The only advise I can give you is to burn that coffee table.

OVBIOUSLY it's out to get you and ruin your life...

Player_Zero
2008-06-05, 05:25 AM
Why universe hate Solo?

You know why.

In addition, I also hate you. :smalltongue:

PlatinumJester
2008-06-05, 06:04 AM
Wow. First it was a galaxy far far away that hated Solo and now it's the whole Universe.

Sorry, but the title reminded me too much of Star Wars.

And FYI, don't worry about your toe nails. Everyone has a body part that is trying to kill them. The reason I drink is because my liver is trying to kill me and I wanna get him before he gets me. So take my advice and pull the bastards out.

Thufir
2008-06-05, 06:53 AM
I did about half that a while back. I didn't find it that bad, just tried to stay barefoot as much as possible and avoided putting weight on it. A bit difficult since a few days earlier I'd crushed my little toe against a wall and I couldn't put weight on that either, but I managed. I think the world just doesn't like my right foot.

Pepz
2008-06-05, 06:53 AM
always a PitA when that happens. In my first week of my year in the USA I dropped a can of beans on my toe, and the nail fell off a week before I went home.....had a lot of fun showing it to squeamish girls during trips tho :smallamused:

And then I got back, and someone slammed a door right where my thumb was, hardly two weeks after I got back.

So all in all I had 3 weeks of having a complete set of nails :smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-05, 07:01 AM
Also advice : Steel toed Sandals. Sounds crazy? Yeah it is. But they're comfortable when walking barefooted and still protect your toe from anything that might drop onto it.

Felixaar
2008-06-05, 07:06 AM
clearly this is a sign that you should stop walking, take time off and be lazy.

y'kno, like me.

also, OUCH.

Trog
2008-06-05, 07:21 AM
Why universe hate Solo?
Could it be because you shot first?

Player_Zero
2008-06-05, 07:26 AM

Nice. You, sir, are a wit.

SilverSheriff
2008-06-05, 07:50 AM
get a Segway (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segway). :biggrin:

Scintillatus
2008-06-05, 08:01 AM
As irritating as it may be now, thank the broken toenail for protecting your toe from breakage or worse. :smallbiggrin:

Furthermore, don't listen to the doctors claiming you won't be up and about for ages - I had a similar injury (and I ripped the toenail out afterwards) and it only took me a week or two to have no issues with getting around, and a few months to have a shiny new nail.

Solo
2008-06-05, 08:13 AM
You know why.

In addition, I also hate you. :smalltongue:

Wow. First it was a galaxy far far away that hated Solo and now it's the whole Universe.

Sorry, but the title reminded me too much of Star Wars.

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/5336/blackmagedestroyworldcl3.jpg

bosssmiley
2008-06-05, 08:50 AM
Why universe hate Solo?

Perhaps because Solo bear remarkable resemblance to Waspinator (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheChewToy)? :smallbiggrin:

AFAIK Waspinator has no toenails, just like Solo... :smallconfused:

Solo
2008-06-05, 09:02 AM
You'll be the first to go.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-05, 09:04 AM
*destroys Solo's white background*

Player_Zero
2008-06-05, 09:07 AM
You'll be the first to go.

Damn... Can I go to the head of the list if I call you names? Like... 'Foot-cripple-guy'... Or 'Stubbed-his-toe-guy'... Hmmm... I gotta' work on my insults.

Still, the Universe does hate you and you are justified to think so. :smallsmile:

Solo
2008-06-05, 09:23 AM
*destroys Solo's white background*

You fiend! I'm going to send you to another dimension!

randman22222
2008-06-05, 09:24 AM
It hates you because if it liked you, you'd be less likable and interesting.

Copacetic
2008-06-05, 09:27 AM
Heh, I broke my toenail when I was 10. The whole thing fell off. Don't worry about it, it will be fine.

Solo
2008-06-05, 09:32 AM
It hates you because if it liked you, you'd be less likable and interesting.

In other words, you like the fact that I am the universe's butt monkey because it entertains you.

I'm going to send you to the Shadow Realm!

Heh, I broke my toenail when I was 10. The whole thing fell off. Don't worry about it, it will be fine.

By pure coincidence the same toe nail was pulled when I was about 10ish due to infection.

So this time around, I'm really eager to not have it removed a second time. Lord knows how that might mess up the works...

randman22222
2008-06-05, 09:34 AM
In other words, you like the fact that I am the universe's butt monkey because it entertains you.

I... think? I'm not sure what you're trying to say...

LCR
2008-06-05, 09:34 AM
Mind Crush.

Player_Zero
2008-06-05, 09:35 AM

I like where this is going.

...I place three cards face down and end my turn.

Come on... Activate my trap card you sonnuvabeach!

Solo
2008-06-05, 09:38 AM
I like where this is going.

...I place three cards face down and end my turn.

And the mists of Ravenloft engulf you.

So, if there is a White Mage in the audience, can I get a second opinion on whether it is a good idea to use a soft brush to clean under the toenail with soapy water?

pendell
2008-06-05, 09:39 AM
Clearly the coffee table has chosen the path of defeat.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Player_Zero
2008-06-05, 09:40 AM
And the mists of Ravenloft engulf you.

Or do they?! You just activated my trap card! This means I can summon any monster from my deck to the field! And I pick randman22222 in attack mode! Say goodbye to your lifepoints!

Solo
2008-06-05, 09:43 AM
"Goodbye, your hit points."

I club you over the head with my dueling disk.

"What? If holograms can hurt him, why can't I join in the fun?"

randman22222
2008-06-05, 09:45 AM
*carpet bombs Solo from 50,000 feet.*

Player_Zero
2008-06-05, 09:50 AM
*Summons Seto Kaiba to use his ninja skills to use his weapons on you, since they are designed to inflict damage*

Then...

*Activates swords of revealing light and then Dian Keto the Cure Master to restore 1000LP and prevent you from attacking*

*Sets one monster face down and ends turn*

SilverSheriff
2008-06-05, 09:52 AM
http://img30.picoodle.com/img/img30/4/6/5/chilli/f_Trapm_ca68b97.jpg

You just activated my Trap card.

Solo
2008-06-05, 10:01 AM
I will crush you all with my Invisible Tank.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-06-05, 10:02 AM
WEAKLING SOLO! A TRUE HERO WOULD AMPUTATE THE WHOLE FOOT!

This message brought to you by Win-Fail enterprises.

Solo
2008-06-05, 10:07 AM
WEAKLING SOLO! A TRUE HERO WOULD AMPUTATE THE WHOLE FOOT!

This message brought to you by Win-Fail enterprises.

By HERO, do you mean HERO OF THE IMPERIUM?

Mauve Shirt
2008-06-05, 10:13 AM
I ran my foot into a coffee table once. My toenail turned green before falling completely off, not tearing off just falling off.

Solo
2008-06-05, 10:15 AM
Have you ever felt that, perhaps, coffee tables were out to get us?

Mauve Shirt
2008-06-05, 10:24 AM
Our only coffee table now is over 10 years old and made of wicker. So it's less deadly.

Copacetic
2008-06-05, 10:30 AM
Have you ever felt that, perhaps, coffee tables were out to get us?

Of Course they are! Why do you think they keep attacking us?

Solo
2008-06-05, 10:32 AM
Our only coffee table now is over 10 years old and made of wicker. So it's less deadly.

Bah! You can ill afford to let down your guard. You know what they say!

There is no rest for the wicker.

I'm da Rogue!
2008-06-05, 11:12 AM
Guys, guys...
Everyone knows what coffe tables are made of. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0150.html)

randman22222
2008-06-05, 11:33 AM
Guys, guys...
Everyone knows what coffe tables are made of. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0150.html)

:smalleek: I completely forgot! Jeeze... We need fire. Lots of it.

Solo
2008-06-05, 11:37 AM
Fire, fire, cleanse this hellish place.

RationalGoblin
2008-06-05, 11:47 AM
Wheres that "This thread is unclean; purify it" image when you need it?

Oh, and to be on-topic (kinda) coffee tables hate me as well. I think I nearly broke my big toe on one once.

unstattedCommoner
2008-06-05, 01:18 PM
Clearly the blame lies with the manufacturer, for failing to supply tables with adquately padded legs and/or adequate warning signs and/or adequate instruction manuals.

MR.PIXIE
2008-06-05, 01:36 PM
my dad got a 3" rust staple through his middle toe and had to get a triangular piece of skin cut off the bottom and four shots in his calf.
> shudder<

Telonius
2008-06-05, 01:48 PM
Why universe hate Solo?

One possibility ... (http://http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TemptingFate)

"The universe just loves proving me wrong, doesn't it?"
"You make it too easy!"
-- Sokka and Toph, Avatar The Last Airbender

:smallbiggrin:

Lemur
2008-06-05, 03:41 PM
Don't worry, the universe doesn't hate Solo. The universe doesn't hate anyone in fact. It's just that it doesn't care.
Here's to hoping you heal up quickly and aren't inflicted with anything else for the rest of your stay.
I know this because the universe told me so when I was having tea at its house last Sunday. By the way, the universe has a really nice coffee table.

Player_Zero
2008-06-05, 04:16 PM
Don't worry, the universe doesn't hate Solo. The universe doesn't hate anyone in fact. It's just that it doesn't care.
Here's to hoping you heal up quickly and aren't inflicted with anything else for the rest of your stay.
I know this because the universe told me so when I was having tea at its house last Sunday. By the way, the universe has a really nice coffee table.

Sure you're not thinking of the galaxy? That guys coffee table is awesome. It's got laser turrets and liver on it and everything.

Headless_Ninja
2008-06-05, 04:16 PM
Why do I hate Solo? Well, I don't expect my most trusted smuggler to jettison his cargo at the first sign of an Imperial patrol!

Uncle Festy
2008-06-05, 08:48 PM
The universe does not hate you, Solo. Most of the universe doesn't even know who you are. Heck, most of the people the world doesn't even know who you are. So how do you expect enough of the matter in the universe to have an emotion along the lines of hate, know who you are, and have a reason to target you with said emotion?
[/steal]
:smalltongue:

Collin152
2008-06-05, 09:03 PM
Everyone has a body part that is trying to kill them.

My hands used to both be possesed. Then the left oen got upitty. So I exorcised it. Lefty hasn't been the same since. Is he going to kill me?

SurlySeraph
2008-06-05, 09:31 PM
@^: If it's no longer possessed, it shouldn't be trying to kill you.

Unless it got re-possessed. Or, and I like this theory, maybe your entire body except for your left hand is possessed, and your left hand is trying to free you. In that case, the rest of you needs to be exorcised! Which might have some side effects on your personality that would be very desirable, from a paladin's point of view! Come on, over here! *starts dragging Collin152 off*

Cobra_Ikari
2008-06-05, 09:34 PM
Clearly, the correct course of action is to cut it off and replace it. With a chainsaw. >.>

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-06-05, 09:34 PM
Heya, Solo...Silly as this thread has become, allow me to offer some aid in your recovery. I mean, foot injuries are what I regretably do best.

1. Unless the doctor orders otherwise, change the bandages daily. Be sure to clean the wound each time. Use iodine, not alcohol. The latter, while plenty strong, has the capacity to kill new cells that are trying to heal you.

2. If you want to spend some time letting the wound dry out, do it at night when you're not going to be walking on it at all. In other words, while you sleep.

3. To reduce pain and swelling, there's a little trick I've used numerous times. Not sure what you're sleeping on, but find a thick cushion and place it under your mattress by your feet. This will help reduce swelling regardless of the position you sleep in. On the bed, you have a good chance of kicking said cushion off the bed. Under the mattress, that foot is always up.

4. Elevate the foot whenever you can. Try to at least get it even with your hip. Trust me, it'll help.

5. Be sure to take/use whatever antibiotics you may have been given. No joke. You finish all of them to ensure you rid yourself of the infection.

6. Come to terms with the facts...you shot first. :smalltongue:

Collin152
2008-06-05, 09:40 PM
@^: If it's no longer possessed, it shouldn't be trying to kill you.

Unless it got re-possessed. Or, and I like this theory, maybe your entire body except for your left hand is possessed, and your left hand is trying to free you. In that case, the rest of you needs to be exorcised! Which might have some side effects on your personality that would be very desirable, from a paladin's point of view! Come on, over here! *starts dragging Collin152 off*

If my hand got reposesed, I wouldn't have it, would I?

And as for the exorcism...
-explosion of green fire-
"Now you will face me, oh Paladin, and all the powers of Hell!"

Solo
2008-06-05, 10:20 PM
H
1. Unless the doctor orders otherwise, change the bandages daily. Be sure to clean the wound each time. Use iodine, not alcohol. The latter, while plenty strong, has the capacity to kill new cells that are trying to heal you.

Do you think it's ok to use alcohol if I'm just disinfecting the general area, not directly applying it to the wound?

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2008-06-05, 10:53 PM
Ach, when I was but a wee tyke, not yet knee-high to the smallest o' Saskatchewanian Grasshoppers, I walked straight into a coffee table.

My tooth turned blue and had to be yanked out. I think I still have it, stashed away in some vintage kleenex in an old pill bottle. It's a nice grey-ish shade of blue.

My suggestion: learn how to do everything whilst on either a motorcycle or a unicycle. The universe won't hate you quite so badly.

Solo
2008-06-05, 11:22 PM
6. Come to terms with the facts...you shot first. :smalltongue:

I shall raze your city, burn your crops, crush your men, loot your houses, steal your sheep, salt your fields, and hear the lamentations of your women.

Nychta
2008-06-06, 12:42 AM
Ship that table over to NZ. I'll punish it for being mean to my big brother. :smallamused:

Solo
2008-06-06, 01:25 AM
Ship that table over to NZ. I'll punish it for being mean to my big brother. :smallamused:

Awww.... thanks sis. *hug*

SurlySeraph
2008-06-06, 01:36 AM
If my hand got reposesed, I wouldn't have it, would I?

And as for the exorcism...
-explosion of green fire-
"Now you will face me, oh Paladin, and all the powers of Hell!"

That's exactly why I'm trying to exorcise you, damn it!

Also, I think I have to go on a crusade against coffee tables now. Fire and axes! I swear not to let yet another playgrounder fall before the depredations of those pointy-cornered monsters! FOR JUSTICE AND PROPER SAFETY STANDARDS FOR LIVING ROOM FURNISHINGS!!!

Solo
2008-06-06, 06:31 AM
Update:

No signs of infection in sight, pain is less, I can walk and skip about without pain.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-06-06, 10:26 AM
Do you think it's ok to use alcohol if I'm just disinfecting the general area, not directly applying it to the wound?

Ummm...Well, it's like this...Y'see, I...That is, my doctor...uhhh...he yells at me when I use alcohol to clean a wound. :smallredface: Thus, I was simply passing on what he says. Personally, I see nothing wrong with it. Then again, I'm not a doctor. So from my non-medical mind, here is my word of warning: you can clean the general area with alcohol, but expect the skin to dry out A LOT. What's more, if you get any in an open wound...well, just consider it "screaming practice." :smallwink:

Solo
2008-06-06, 10:33 AM
Ummm...Well, it's like this...Y'see, I...That is, my doctor...uhhh...he yells at me when I use alcohol to clean a wound. :smallredface:

Well, seeing as i can't reach the actual wound anyways (it's underneath a bit of nail, after all) I guess it won't be a problem.

What's more, if you get any in an open wound...well, just consider it "screaming practice."
Pansy.

Iodine, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol... I've never been picky about which i use to clean a wound, though now I know it's usually better to jsut rinse it with water and let it heal on its own.

I shall add "disinfect your wounds with alcohol" to the list of indignities I have in store for you and your people.

Uncle Festy
2008-06-06, 11:28 AM
Glad you're feeling better. :smallbiggrin:

Solo
2008-06-06, 11:35 AM
Glad you're feeling better. :smallbiggrin:

I shall set off with my horde the moment I can safely start to walk long distances.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-06-06, 12:36 PM
Y'know...You ask "Why universe hate Solo?" I'm starting to sense that it has something to do with your plans to destroy US, when it was YOU who chose the name "Solo." WE didn't set ourselves up for the "you shot first" jokes. YOU did that. :smalltongue:

Now, back on the topic of your injured nail...I'm actually dealing with an infection under my left big toenail. (Yes, it seems to always be something with me.) My doctor, among other treatments, suggested I soak it. As an alternative, I suggested applying an antibiotic cream that is actually designed to help keep a wound moist. I'm not exactly sure what yours looks like, but I can gently lift my toenail just enough to get the cream inside using an applicator. Thus, after cleaning it with the alcohol the doc would rather I not use, I apply the cream, and wrap it up. Thus, I'm in a similar boat.

Different wounds, however, require different care. Follow doctor's orders as best you can, and use some of those suggestions I made to reduce swelling and pain, as the latter is general first aid that will help a lot.

Collin152
2008-06-06, 02:44 PM
I shall add "disinfect your wounds with alcohol" to the list of indignities I have in store for you and your people.

His teeth, I've enacted, shall all be extracted by terrified amateurs.

Player_Zero
2008-06-06, 03:58 PM
Pansy.

Wait, wait, wait, wait...

This is coming from Mr. I-stubbed-my-toe-and-then-made-a-thread-to-complain-about-it-like-a-sissy-girl? :smalltongue:

Uncle Festy
2008-06-06, 06:24 PM
I shall set off with my horde the moment I can safely start to walk long distances.

:smalleek:
Gurk!
Um... but... I was referring to this... :smallfrown:

No signs of infection in sight, pain is less, I can walk and skip about without pain.

Solo
2008-06-06, 10:34 PM
Wait, wait, wait, wait...

This is coming from Mr. I-stubbed-my-toe-and-then-made-a-thread-to-complain-about-it-like-a-sissy-girl? :smalltongue:
Die monster! You don't belong in this world!

Y'know...You ask "Why universe hate Solo?" I'm starting to sense that it has something to do with your plans to destroy US, when it was YOU who chose the name "Solo." WE didn't set ourselves up for the "you shot first" jokes. YOU did that. :smalltongue:
Your words are as empty as your soul.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-06-07, 01:01 AM
The Universe may hate Solo, but it does so because the Universe is a spiteful, irrational beig whos favorite methods of torture involve coffee tables.

You got it easy, I got the Multiverse after me, and they're a michevious bugger. Let me live a good, happy life for the logest time in ofrever, and give me three weeks of ecstatic bliss...
And then shut it all dow and retur me to the drudgerey of *shudder* living on a floating piece of metal for an unknown period of time in close quarters with a bunch of people that can be counted by scores.

You get measely, insigificant physical pain and mild discomfort.
I get the emotional and psychological yo-yo.
"Pansy" is accurate for one of us...

Yes, I have ripped off nails (frequently of the finger-type variety) before and am fully aware that it hurts. Its called teasing. get over it. Hope ya' get better.

Trog
2008-06-08, 10:02 AM
Update:

Well that's good I suppose...

but will you ever play the guitar again (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3gMgK7h-BA)?!