PDA

View Full Version : Golembane Scarab?

BRC
2008-06-05, 12:36 PM
So, my character mostly uses piercing damage. Due to it being an evil campaign we don't really have to worry about undead, but constructs may be a problem. To counteract this, I picked up a Golembane Scarab. This description reads as this

Scarab, Golembane
This beetle-shaped pin enables its wearer to detect any golem within 60 feet, although he must concentrate (a standard action) in order for the detection to take place. A scarab enables its possessor to combat golems with weapons, unarmed attacks, or natural weapons as if those golems had no damage reduction.

Moderate divination; CL 8th; Craft Wondrous Item, detect magic, creator must be at least 10th level; Price 2,500 gp.
Well, Last session we were fighting a big nasty construct, and my DM said that I didn't get to bypass it's DR because it wasn't technically a Golem. And because the description specifically says "Golem" not "construct"

However, golem isn't specified as a subtype of Construct, not even in the MM descriptions of Golems. So, was my DM right in this case? Is this item a total piece of junk? If a train leaves chicago at 12:51 and arrives in Dallas at 8:23, was the soup served on board the dining car any good and did the man in car three finish the Chicago Tribune's crossword puzzle?

TheLogman
2008-06-05, 12:58 PM
Ahem

Yes, he was right.

No, because it's cheap GP wise, which counteracts the limitations and situationality of the item

Chicago soup is exemplary in my experience, but travel-based foods are terrible. Therefore, the soup was mediocre.

Depends, the Tribune's puzzle can be tricky. Is he a Chicago local? If so, probably. Otherwise, probably not.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-05, 01:26 PM
A recent "find" of mine is the Ring of Adamantine touch out of the MIC. All of your melee attack are treated as Adamantine for the purpose of damage reduction. 6k gold.

You may want to look into one. :smallbiggrin:

BRC
2008-06-05, 02:12 PM
A recent "find" of mine is the Ring of Adamantine touch out of the MIC. All of your melee attack are treated as Adamantine for the purpose of damage reduction. 6k gold.

You may want to look into one. :smallbiggrin:

I don't think we have the MIC, and this character already has two rings.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-05, 02:24 PM
I don't think we have the MIC, and this character already has two rings.

Oh, that's too bad. But you could always swap a ring out if you come up against a construct, I suppose.

Anyway, happy hunting. :smallsmile:

mostlyharmful
2008-06-05, 07:33 PM
for a pricier version I've found getting two maces of smiting and just rolling until you hit a 20 pretty good, provided you can get some method of full attacking. If your DM is amienable to the idea a sling of smiting is even better given constructs are often programmed and can't deal with flying snipers.