PDA

View Full Version : General Anime Discussion A's

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-05, 01:06 PM
Oddly Named Sequel (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OddlyNamedSequel)

Last time (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11932&page=51), we were apparently talking about Genshiken and (for some reason) Disgaea 2, as well as the fact that manga tends to be more blatant in violence and sexual content than anime. Meanwhile, I decided to pre-empt take Gorbash's modly powers excellent suggestion and start a sequel thread.

It could be worse. I could have started a parallel universe and exiled him to
a private school about half a mile away. Milwaukee. Lamest banishment ever.

Drascin
2008-06-05, 01:15 PM
I gotta say, I approve very much of your choice of title for the new thread, Nerdo :smallbiggrin:.

bluish_wolf
2008-06-05, 01:18 PM
It's weird, before I was saying that it's seinen if it's based on a light novel, then I read this today: "An anime adaptation has been decided for Kamachika Kazuma’s fantasy shounen series, “To Aru Majutsu no Index.” The announcement comes from the obi strip of the 16th volume release of the light novel — on sale June 10th." Well, whatever.

kamikasei
2008-06-05, 01:31 PM
So, in reading up on Gundam continuities, I've gotta say I'm disappointed in the mathematical literacy of otaku that it's not called Universal Quantifier Gundam. Or at least For All Gundam, ...

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-05, 01:32 PM
The same could be said of Bastard!! Both series started in Shonen Jump, and got moved to Ultra Jump. I think if you spend so long in Shonen Jump, your target audience just keeps on getting older and older until you're seinen by default. Although Bastard!! cheats by advancing one chapter every six months. If that fast...

I guess that makes sense. The alternative is to assume you lose your audience every year and can therefore get away with repeating stories, which is as far as I know an old American thing.

Drawback: Oh!Great can't write for crap. He starts out with a good idea, but the longer it goes, the more muddled it gets. I call it Bastard!! syndrome, and he's got it in spades. Tenjou Tenge took a few years to get through a flashback, and by the time it was done, I'd forgotten about the original main characters and what they were doing. The next five volumes were all about fighting other people for nebulously defined reasons. Also, mother angst! My friend reports that Air Gear has not (yet) suffered this decline.

So so true.

Sorry for the delay! Didn't think my opinion would carry so much weight...

Never underestimate the power of showing up out of no where and sounding like you know stuff.

It's weird, before I was saying that it's seinen if it's based on a light novel

Which really isn't true, since light novels are categorised in the same way as manga and seinen shows can be based off real novels. Incidentally, most novel based anime are actually at the young end of shoujo, with many classic childrens books such Daddy-Long-Legs and Anne of Green Gables being having been adapted in the 70s.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-05, 01:58 PM
So, in reading up on Gundam continuities, I've gotta say I'm disappointed in the mathematical literacy of otaku that it's not called Universal Quantifier Gundam. Or at least For All Gundam, ..."For All Gundam" is technically what it means, supposedly, but for some reason "Turn A" is the title used.

bluish_wolf
2008-06-05, 02:01 PM
Clearly, it's called A's because that's the breast size of the majority of the characters.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-05, 02:12 PM
Well, that's an unfair statement given that 80% of the named characters are under ten. Signum (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BoobsOfSteel), at least, would like to take exception to that.

Drascin
2008-06-05, 02:32 PM
Indeed. If it had been StrikerS that was named A's, on the other hand, Bluish would probably have been correct :smallwink:

Frosty
2008-06-05, 02:40 PM
Agreed, the concept does sound good. Unfortunately, the panty shots and torn clothes happen all the time, regardless of plot. It steps over the line into "gratuitous", goes down the block, and moves into a house with a 30-year mortgage. It's there to stay.

Sorry for the delay! Didn't think my opinion would carry so much weight... But yes, it was a very cool idea, and yes, it got very killed. I try to ignore the bouncing jubblies and gratuitous nekkid, but the sheer volume of both makes it difficult. The manga I think has cooler "historical" flashbacks, where it gives a splash page in the old chinese art style (vaguely like this (http://acc6.its.brooklyn.cuny.edu/~phalsall/images/vitarka.gif)) and some info on the character as he was in the old days (although sometimes the character is distorted even further from the already historically inaccurate Romance of the Three Kingdoms version). The (literally) bloodthirsty version of Guan Yu was pretty awesome...

I do wish they'd focus more on the whole accepting/defying one's fate aspect, instead of having yet another character focus on Liu Bei's boobs. The random macguffin tie-ins (Three Treasures, the Swords) would be more interesting if those plots actually went anywhere... Maybe they actually matter in the later books; I haven't gotten anything new since 2006 :(

1) Not sure... But it definitely aired on AT-X, a cable/satellite network, so it probably got relaxed rules for nudity etc.
2) Fan service.
3) Fan service. IC, they can kill pretty much anyone who's a lower rank Toushi by blinking anyway. I guess it's not that big a deal to them...

Yes, I know it's for Fan service, but girls, regardless of whether or not they're good fighters, shouldn't just let others grope them. At least, they usually don't. And I fail to see a good IC reason for skirts that short in a school uniform.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-05, 03:39 PM
Yes, I know it's for Fan service, but girls, regardless of whether or not they're good fighters, shouldn't just let others grope them. At least, they usually don't.

They don't if the series in question actually has any pretense at quality. The only way to appreciate that kind of thing is to put your brain cells into stasis.

And I fail to see a good IC reason for skirts that short in a school uniform.

It's an exageration, but so are eyes that take up 40% of the head, each.

Frosty
2008-06-05, 03:43 PM
They don't if the series in question actually has any pretense at quality. The only way to appreciate that kind of thing is to put your brain cells into stasis.

Well, Rei from Evangelion doesn't mind that much either, but Rei is...special.

It's an exageration, but so are eyes that take up 40% of the head, each.

But it's a bit much though. I mean, have we even had a panty shot yet in TMoHS? Plenty of boob shots sure, but that's all on Mikuru.

Terraoblivion
2008-06-05, 03:51 PM
I have a question about Genshiken. Can anybody explain why the plan made by president of the titular group actually worked in episode 5?

I know about his surveillance of the entire university and about how he learned about the student council vice-president's athlete's foot. What i am less certain about is why athlete's foot is something to use for blackmail or even how the blackmail managed to work out without any kind of repercussions. Nor can i see how making the student council president actually admit his feelings for the vice-president would further the goal of securing the continued existence of Genshiken. I feel like i missed something, but i obviously don't know what. I hope some of you can help me with this.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-05, 03:55 PM
But it's a bit much though. I mean, have we even had a panty shot yet in TMoHS? Plenty of boob shots sure, but that's all on Mikuru.

Yell, I'll let you onto a little secret.

That's because 'TMoHS' is actually good and doesn't need panty shots to make up for it's crapness.

Rutee
2008-06-05, 04:17 PM
Yes, I know it's for Fan service, but girls, regardless of whether or not they're good fighters, shouldn't just let others grope them. At least, they usually don't. And I fail to see a good IC reason for skirts that short in a school uniform.

Again, that one was /slightly/ justified in that Taishi Ci is, like almost every other female, attracted to Gao Shun. Though it might happen more later without that much justification.

Also I need to see Nanoha, even if it seinen rather then shoujo. Blah, I never hear about shoujo series since I'm too lazy to do my own looking.. XD

Frosty
2008-06-05, 04:17 PM
Yell, I'll let you onto a little secret.

That's because 'TMoHS' is actually good and doesn't need panty shots to make up for it's crapness.

Still, I can't help but feel that there was so much potential with the premise and they could've done so much better and not needed panty shots. Unlike Rutee, who feels that panty shots ruined the series (I think she thinks that anyways), I feel like the series wasn't done well regardless of panty shots (well, based on like the 3 episodes I've seen so far)

Frosty
2008-06-05, 04:18 PM
Again, that one was /slightly/ justified in that Taishi Ci is, like almost every other female, attracted to Gao Shun. Though it might happen more later without that much justification.

Is Taishi Ci the girl with the eye-patch?

Rutee
2008-06-05, 04:37 PM
Is Taishi Ci the girl with the eye-patch?

Yeah. That's the one I'm talking about. Oh, right, you saw ep 9, and I stopped after 3... It's so awful when I can't watch a series past episode 3, yanno? XD

And seriously, I don't even mind fanservice on a conceptual level. I just can't stand the sheer amount of it there.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-05, 04:38 PM
But it's a bit much though. I mean, have we even had a panty shot yet in TMoHS? Plenty of boob shots sure, but that's all on Mikuru.Kyoto Animation is apparently well known for their Magic Skirts (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicSkirt), actually. Apparently, some animators consider panty shots cheap and exploitive, whereas simple Gainaxing (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Gainaxing) and cleavage-fest clothing is Good Clean Fun, which makes some degree of sense.

Also one of the things I like about Nanoha: as far as I can tell, one panty shot in the whole franchise. Not that there's not other kinds of disconcerting lolicon fanservice...up to and including gaussian-blurred-to-unrecognizability preteens...yeah, I don't like those transformation sequences, actually.

Cubey
2008-06-05, 04:39 PM
I have a question about Genshiken. Can anybody explain why the plan made by president of the titular group actually worked in episode 5?

I know about his surveillance of the entire university and about how he learned about the student council vice-president's athlete's foot. What i am less certain about is why athlete's foot is something to use for blackmail or even how the blackmail managed to work out without any kind of repercussions. Nor can i see how making the student council president actually admit his feelings for the vice-president would further the goal of securing the continued existence of Genshiken. I feel like i missed something, but i obviously don't know what. I hope some of you can help me with this.

I bet it's cultural. We western people don't really think about it that way, but for the Japanese, especially Japanese women, being exposed about having athlete's foot is such a public shame that the vice-president would rather let Genshiken exist than to let everyone know. Also, when the president admitted his feelings to her, despite knowing of the athlete's foot, then she had a sudden realization. Because, let's face it - she wanted Genshiken canceled because it was full of geeks, "weirdos". But when he accepted her even though she was an athlete's foot "weirdo", she had a change of mind. The event when her favorite dish was canceled from the cafe because almost no one wanted it earlier had some impact too, I guess.

But it's all pure speculation on my part. That is, that's how I understood it. Alternative theory: The first Genshiken president has mind control eyes. Like in Code Geass.

And yes, Genshiken characters are extremely likable (even that jerk Saki) and realistic. I'm not a shipper usually, but I fully support the Ohno/Tanaka relationship! As for realistic part - in high school I knew a guy who was just like Kucchi. Scary, huh?

Terraoblivion
2008-06-05, 04:46 PM
I see. That explanation makes sense, though it is so far from anything i am used to that it didn't occur to me at all.

As for the characters being likable then i have to agree. Actually Saki, despite being a jerk, is probably the one i like the most. She has a spine unlike the rest and i cannot help but feel intensely sorry for her with the way Kohsaka treats her without even realizing that he is doing anything wrong. There is one character without redeeming features, at least in the first six episodes, though. That jerk from the manga club. So incredibly unpleasant a man.

Frosty
2008-06-05, 04:48 PM
Kyoto Animation is apparently well known for their Magic Skirts (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicSkirt), actually. Apparently, some animators consider panty shots cheap and exploitive, whereas simple Gainaxing (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Gainaxing) and cleavage-fest clothing is Good Clean Fun, which makes some degree of sense.

I find it funny "Gainax" is synonymous with "bouncy breasts"

That said, I find panty shots and exposes breasts to be about the same level.

Cubey
2008-06-05, 04:51 PM
Oh yeah, Hanaguro. I forgot to mention that I meant all the Genshiken people are sympathetic - he's a total jerkarse. Wait... he theoretically IS in Genshiken, even if only as a honorary member. Argh, confusing myself!

Anyway, if it helps any, he'll get his comeuppance. Eventually. Hope that's not a spoiler.

EDIT: Also, it seems that it's my opinion only, but Madarame is as much of a Woobie as you can have with a guy who doesn't really experience anything THAT horrible during the whole series.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-05, 04:54 PM
I find it funny "Gainax" is synonymous with "bouncy breasts"

That said, I find panty shots and exposes breasts to be about the same level.Well, my ingrained American cultural standards tell me that mostly-clothed female breasts are more acceptable than mostly-clothed female butt. In addition, there's something inherently more exploitive about an upskirt shot, because you're not supposed to look up a skirt, whereas people are fully aware that their chest is the first or second thing others are going to look at, and dress accordingly. Usually.

Terraoblivion
2008-06-05, 05:06 PM
Yeah. The non-Genshiken people are much more unpleasant, with Hanaguro and Sasahara's sister as the most obvious examples. I am not sure i would call the blackmailing first Genshiken president a very nice person either, but i haven't seen much of the show yet so he might turn out to be more sympathetic than he has seemed so far.

Madarama doesn't seem too much like a woobie to me so far, though he is probably the Genshiken member who has the greatest chance of growing up to become extremely lonely. He just has somewhat of an air of patheticness to him. And there was the bit with him hurting his arm at Comiket.

And Nerdo pretty much explained exactly why gainaxing is generally more acceptable than panty shots. Also it is generally less contrived why it should happen than a panty shot is.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-05, 05:15 PM
Still, I can't help but feel that there was so much potential with the premise and they could've done so much better and not needed panty shots.

Except that in this case, they is probably one guy, the mangaka. To be honest, there's only so much you should do to deviate from the source material.

Also one of the things I like about Nanoha: as far as I can tell, one panty shot in the whole franchise. Not that there's not other kinds of disconcerting lolicon fanservice...up to and including gaussian-blurred-to-unrecognizability preteens...yeah, I don't like those transformation sequences, actually.

They don't use the transformation sequences more than once do they?

As far as I can see there are only three reasons to like Nanoha:

1. The weapons.
2. The LesYay.
3. The SS Uniforms.

The later two only really being in StrikerS, which I gave up on because two seasons of Nanoha were enough. Nanoha is a lot better than it could be, but it's still a sick lolicon show at heart.

Well, my ingrained American cultural standards

I'm glad I'm not American.

Stupid rant:

I can never understand the aversion to nipples in censorship. As though one female nipple would bring down western civilisation. To the point that most fanservice in American comics can get away with showing almost the entire breast but are okay because you can't see the nipples. This usually ends up with characters having what some poster on a worse online continuity refered to as 'ninja nipples', where as long as something is covering the breast, the nipple is assumed to be under it, even when it is anatomically impossible for the object to hide said nipple.

Echowinds
2008-06-05, 05:41 PM
In my opinion, pantyshots appeal to some viewers due to the fact that normally you couldn't see it, and thus have an air of mystery and forbidden fruit feel to it. I believe it has some similarities of the idea that having people being more sexually attractive when wearing clothes than not.

The later two only really being in StrikerS, which I gave up on because two seasons of Nanoha were enough. Nanoha is a lot better than it could be, but it's still a sick lolicon show at heart.

It's a little harsh calling it a sick lolicon show. Certainly, it has a bit of that vibe, but I seriously don't believe the majority of the show's fans are anywhere close to being lolicons. Yes, there are serious amounts of adult doujins produced for the show, and the targetted demographic is indeed on the male population. But really, if there are that many fans for the show, we can safely make the assumption that either there are plenty of viewers that likes it for the non-loli elements, unless there is a huge latent lolicon population (which is not the fault of the show anyways). You might be able to see only 3 reasons, but some others might be able to see it differently.

I personally haven't watched Nanoha, but claiming it as a lolicon show is like claiming shows with heavy moe elements as chauvanist. Or Yuri shows purely about Lesbianism.

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-06-05, 05:43 PM
I can never understand the aversion to nipples in censorship. As though one female nipple would bring down western civilisation. To the point that most fanservice in American comics can get away with showing almost the entire breast but are okay because you can't see the nipples. This usually ends up with characters having what some poster on a worse online continuity refered to as 'ninja nipples', where as long as something is covering the breast, the nipple is assumed to be under it, even when it is anatomically impossible for the object to hide said nipple.
If you think that's bad, half the time there's a female in anime going topless, the nipples are simply not drawn. Not hidden behind something, just not there. It's kind of freaky really.

bluish_wolf
2008-06-05, 05:46 PM
Well, my ingrained American cultural standards tell me that mostly-clothed female breasts are more acceptable than mostly-clothed female butt. In addition, there's something inherently more exploitive about an upskirt shot, because you're not supposed to look up a skirt, whereas people are fully aware that their chest is the first or second thing others are going to look at, and dress accordingly. Usually.

In my opinion, panty shorts are only dirty if you can see the girly parts under the fabric. Otherwise, it's just underwear. Nothing worse than a bathing suit.

It's a little harsh calling it a sick lolicon show. Certainly, it has a bit of that vibe, but I seriously don't believe the majority of the show's fans are anywhere close to being lolicons. Yes, there are serious amounts of adult doujins produced for the show, and the targetted demographic is indeed on the male population. But really, if there are that many fans for the show, we can safely make the assumption that either there are plenty of viewers that likes it for the non-loli elements, unless there is a huge latent lolicon population (which is not the fault of the show anyways). You might be able to see only 3 reasons, but some others might be able to see it differently.

You do know that Nanoha was based an an eroge series, right? Triangle Heart.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-05, 06:05 PM
It's a little harsh calling it a sick lolicon show.

Yes, I was being expecially harsh.

Certainly, it has a bit of that vibe, but I seriously don't believe the majority of the show's fans are anywhere close to being lolicons.

I'm sure most people are just in it for the pretty light show. Also, the aformentioned LesYay, military uniforms and weapons.

You might be able to see only 3 reasons, but some others might be able to see it differently.

There are some people with extremely bizzare taste.

I personally haven't watched Nanoha, but claiming it as a lolicon show is like claiming shows with heavy moe elements as chauvanist. Or Yuri shows purely about Lesbianism.

You should probably look up what chauvanism means, because it's unlikely that it means what you think it means. Still, the idea that I might find a show to be about die hard commitment to the Napoleonic regime because it uses vulnerable women for sex appeal is moderately humorous.

Yuri has an exploitation genre is entirely about lesbianism, individual yuri shows may aim higher than that however.

If you think that's bad, half the time there's a female in anime going topless, the nipples are simply not drawn. Not hidden behind something, just not there. It's kind of freaky really.

I'm not entirely sure that at least one member of the animation team didn't draw them in, even if they were absent from the final broadcast.

You do know that Nanoha was based an an eroge series, right? Triangle Heart.

More of a spin off. In fact, it's like Pretty Sammy in that it's a magical girl show based off a minor character from an established series. The main differance being that Pretty Sammy never over-took Tenchi Muyo's existance like Nanoha has dwarfed Triangle Hearts.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-05, 07:11 PM
Hey, Closet_Skeleton, there's a hell of a lot more to Nanoha than the awesome fight scenes and the cute LesYay (which is certainly there before StrikerS, just not as widespread due to not having as many characters). And yes, you were especially harsh, and I deeply resent the statement that it is a "sick lolicon show", because saying that is the same as calling me a sick lolicon. I'd really appreciate it if you apologized for that implication.

Anyway, I like the show for several reasons, including the (almost bizarrely) strong and motivated main character, a delightful subversion of the usual whiny pubescent protagonist (who shows up in either gender more often than I care to think about), the solid, developed and downright adorable relationships between characters (not just the yuribait), and yes, the awesome fight scenes. I really don't see why you feel the need to demean it and my tastes so harshly.

I do agree that nipples aren't a big deal, though. I have nipples. They're not exactly mysterious. It's simply the arbitrary borderline of appropriateness in American media.

bluish_wolf
2008-06-05, 08:31 PM
For the record: Show intended to appeal to pedophiles != everyone who watches the show is a pedophile.

Also: http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/92744/

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-05, 09:15 PM
...is that the title, or the tags? You can never tell with Japanese titles.

And I guess you're right. After all, the converse is true: just because a show wasn't intended to appeal to pedophiles doesn't mean that msot of its fanbase isn't. I'm looking at you, Japanese Martian Successor Nadesico fanbase.

But seriously, I think the writers of the show rapidly realized it was better than lolicon yuri (well, at least the lolicon part). It may have started that way, but in A's and especially StrikerS, we've got an awesome action series with stellar character writing. That's what all the fans I know like.

Xilehxt
2008-06-05, 10:08 PM
It was a magical girl show that was aimed at a higher age group. The novelty of devices (+ cartridges...really kudos to whoever thought that up), quality action scenes, and more darkness (which led to more character development than a typical mahou shoujo anime) is what I think made Nanoha popular. Also the whole let's be friends, BIND-O! SUTA RAITO BUREIKA~~ combo is amusing material for doujins.

Infinity_Biscuit
2008-06-05, 10:33 PM
Why is it freaky? Male nipples are drawn so infrequently that I'm surprised when they are drawn. And since some art styles go as far as to not draw the nose, not drawing the nipples doesn't seem so out of the picture.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-05, 10:51 PM
I started watching Full Metal Panic! today.

I'd explain more, but really, it's too awesome for that. Everyone should go watch it right now.

Terraoblivion
2008-06-05, 11:00 PM
Except for all those of us who have already watched it several times of course. :smalltongue:

But yes it is indeed a good show. I will try not to spoil anything, i'll just say that Sousuke and Chidori is one of the few heterosexual couples i am protective of. They are just neat together, something that is helped a lot by Chidori showing just how much of a badass normal she is later on.

Xilehxt
2008-06-05, 11:18 PM
FMP is indeed awesome. One of my favorites. I do really wish that KyoAni would make the 4th season...right after Disappearance...

bluish_wolf
2008-06-05, 11:52 PM
I started watching Full Metal Panic! today.

I'd explain more, but really, it's too awesome for that. Everyone should go watch it right now.

I like Fumoffu, but never watched the original series. Generally, I dislike giant robot anime. It's too campy.

Rutee
2008-06-05, 11:54 PM
FMP! is pretty uncampy, if that's what bugs you.

bluish_wolf
2008-06-05, 11:59 PM
True, but it's two seasons and I'm already behind in the summer '08 series! Also, Scarlet Weather Rhapsody is going to arrive in the mail tomorrow. I guess I could add it to my growing list of anime I need to watch. I could probably find time to watch it.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-06, 12:17 AM
True, but it's two seasons and I'm already behind in the summer '08 series! Also, Scarlet Weather Rhapsody is going to arrive in the mail tomorrow. I guess I could add it to my growing list of anime I need to watch. I could probably find time to watch it.Three seasons. And FMP! is about as realistic a giant robot show as you can get (I say after seven whole episodes...even the Lambda Driver is obvious science-fiction, but not over the top); it's just a military show where they happen to have these neat tools to work with. The mechs aren't even the focus of the show, really, although the technology that makes them work seems to be quite important.

bluish_wolf
2008-06-06, 12:45 AM
Three seasons. And FMP! is about as realistic a giant robot show as you can get (I say after seven whole episodes...even the Lambda Driver is obvious science-fiction, but not over the top); it's just a military show where they happen to have these neat tools to work with. The mechs aren't even the focus of the show, really, although the technology that makes them work seems to be quite important.

I already seen Fumoffu! so I just have to watch FMP and FMP: Second Raid.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-06, 12:49 AM
Oh. Misread your post. If what I've heard is any indication, Fumoffu! is much campier than the other two series (albeit sitcom camp instead of Giant Robot camp). Point is, FMP! = not very campy robots.

Fri
2008-06-06, 12:51 AM
Three seasons. And FMP! is about as realistic a giant robot show as you can get

You obviously missed patlabor

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-06, 12:55 AM
You try finding that on DVD. But I'll watch it eventually.

bluish_wolf
2008-06-06, 01:01 AM
Well, actually, the main reason I dislike mecha is probably not because it's campy, but because I dislike machines in general (except computers.) For instance, I would sooner die than go behind the wheel of a car.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-06, 01:10 AM
Oh. Well, then yeah, it's probably the wrong genre for you (except Evangelion). Also, I have no means of relating to your worldview in any way whatsoever, but I never hold that against someone.

bluish_wolf
2008-06-06, 01:15 AM
It's weird though, since my brother is a motorcycle engineer.

Also, I liked Last Exile even though it was about planes. Most because it wasn't the focus, anyway.

That and FLCL, though the robots in FLCL had no bearing on the plot whatsoever.

Mirrinus
2008-06-06, 03:00 AM
Wow, I'm almost exactly like Bluish Wolf. Dislike mecha series, only watched Fumoffu!, really liked Last Exile regardless...

And I feel all tingly after seeing someone link to Magic Skirt on TVtropes. I was one of the editors who added the stuff for Kyoto Animation on it, lol.

Regarding Nanoha, I distinctly recall one panty shot in the first episode of each of the first two seasons...plus the rather fanservice-laden transformation sequences (although to its credit, those are shown very rarely). Still pretty fanservicy for mahou shoujo, IMHO. The solid character development and action scenes sort of redeemed it in my eyes, but I don't plan on touching StrikerS with a 10-foot pole...

Fri
2008-06-06, 03:36 AM
You try finding that on DVD. But I'll watch it eventually.

I'm a bit lucky I guess. I got patlabor as my saturday morning cartoon years ago . But as far as I know, patlabor has been dvd-ed, complete with dub.

hanzo66
2008-06-06, 03:39 AM
Hmm, this Full Metal Panic seems to be quite interesting...

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-06, 04:53 AM
Hey, Closet_Skeleton, there's a hell of a lot more to Nanoha than the awesome fight scenes and the cute LesYay (which is certainly there before StrikerS, just not as widespread due to not having as many characters).

Chrono and Yuuno are the main things that decreased the LesYay in the first two series. Since Nanoha is an action series, while there might be more to it than the awesome fight scenes, there's nothing to it that completely overshadows the awesome fight scenes.

And yes, you were especially harsh, and I deeply resent the statement that it is a "sick lolicon show", because saying that is the same as calling me a sick lolicon. I'd really appreciate it if you apologized for that implication.

I more of meant that against the creators rather than the fans. Stellvia of the Universe is another example of a show that has sick lolicon elements but is still a good show if you can get past that part of it.

I really don't see why you feel the need to demean it and my tastes so harshly.

I didn't make a single comment about you taste.

Well, actually, the main reason I dislike mecha is probably not because it's campy, but because I dislike machines in general (except computers.) For instance, I would sooner die than go behind the wheel of a car.

I would never drive a car either but I have no problem watching TV shows involving cars getting blown up.

The novelty of devices (+ cartridges...really kudos to whoever thought that up)

The cartridges remind me slightly of Outlaw Star but are otherwise completely unique.

and more darkness

Is Nanoha very dark compared to other magical girl shows? Sailor Moon involves having all your friends killed by an ancient demon and then having to run through your boyfriend with a sword because he's been irreversably corrupted. Sure everyone gets ressurected in the end but there's nothing that dark in Nanoha.

hanzo66
2008-06-06, 05:17 AM
Personally I've been recently warming up to certain Mecha shows. Formerly I just did not enjoy the idea of giant robots flying around sword fighting and whatnot (besides, they seem to be the type where a few tank shots to the leg areas should do some pretty critical damage). Still after Gurren Lagann and Warhammer 40K I then began to think of them more as elaborate tanks than anything, which is a mindset I somewhat prefer to think of.

Rutee
2008-06-06, 05:30 AM
Well, Bluish Wolf does dislike machinery, period. So I can see that having a problem with mecha, well above and beyond that of 'realism concerns'.

Tengu
2008-06-06, 06:00 AM
Disgaea 2 is an anime game so it belongs here!

First encounter with a Mothman:
Me: Aww, that's cute.
Mothman flies in, casts Hell Pollen, kills one character and heavily wounds and poisons two.
Me: You sonuvabitch, you're an Imp expy!

Drascin
2008-06-06, 06:12 AM
Personally I've been recently warming up to certain Mecha shows. Formerly I just did not enjoy the idea of giant robots flying around sword fighting and whatnot (besides, they seem to be the type where a few tank shots to the leg areas should do some pretty critical damage).

Same here, actually. I never saw the appeal of mecha for many years, probably because my perceptions were muddled by sheer camp of the non-awesome variety, since about the only things with mechas I had seen were Power Rangers and Mazinger Z, and, well... :smalltongue:. So I had the perception that mecha shows were really silly and generally uninteresting.

However, I started playing Metal Warriors in the SNES and Zone of Enders in PS2, and tabletop Tau and their battlesuited coolness, and with all that I started warming up to the concept of bipedal humanoid engines of battle. Then watched Gurren, and parts of FMP, and mechas were starting to feel pretty awesome already. And now I'm playing Super Robot Wars Original Generations at last while watching GaoGaiGar on and off, so, well, color me a convert :smallbiggrin:. In fact, I inted to try my hand at a futuristic campaign in BESM this summer, with the players as mercenary mech pilots. I'll have to watch some Gundam for documentation first, of course :smallwink:. So thanks to Gorby for classifying all the seasons so thoroughly in the previous thread - it's gonna be useful.

Disgaea 2 is an anime game so it belongs here!

First encounter with a Mothman:
Me: Aww, that's cute.
Mothman flies in, casts Hell Pollen, kills one character and heavily wounds and poisons two.
Me: You sonuvabitch, you're an Imp expy!

Ah, yes, the Goddamned Imps (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoddamnedBats). At least the moths have even more pathetic defense, so they tend to die in one hit, but they're seriously annoying for the first levels of the game. I generally recommend killing them with fire from a prudent distance, myself, at least until your characters will not spontaneously disintegrate from the poison in a turn or two. But then, I had three or four wizards in the party at that point :smalltongue:.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-06, 10:45 AM
Closet_skeleton: yeah, I guess I misinterpreted what you said. Sorry for getting all shouty about it, but you were throwing around some pretty offensive terms, and I just chose to take it in the worst way possible. Anyway, I'm over it, new subject.

Personally I've been recently warming up to certain Mecha shows. Formerly I just did not enjoy the idea of giant robots flying around sword fighting and whatnot (besides, they seem to be the type where a few tank shots to the leg areas should do some pretty critical damage). Still after Gurren Lagann and Warhammer 40K I then began to think of them more as elaborate tanks than anything, which is a mindset I somewhat prefer to think of."Elaborate tanks" is my general preference for mecha as well. They're pretty much exactly that in Full Metal Panic!, for example, except of course for the few with a Super Special Awesome new weapons system connected to the plot of the series (but not, unusually, the main plot point). Mobile Suit Gundam, at least the UC shows, tend to show their mecha in a similar light. In fact, you can pretty much make a direct parallel between Zeon's mobile suit development and World War II Germany's (but be careful. The penalty for Godwin's Law in the Universal Century universe is vaporization via strategic laser). Martian Successor Nadesico, too, though some people model their machines off of silly Super Robot designs...and it's damn effective.

Oh, and Front Mission, but that's a video game. Battletech too.

However, giant metal superhero-style mechs like Gurren-Lagann are also fine at times. I should watch Getter Robo, maybe even Mazinger sometime.

Blue Paladin
2008-06-06, 11:48 AM
Is Taishi Ci the girl with the eye-patch?Yeah. That's the one I'm talking about. Oh, right, you saw ep 9, and I stopped after 3... It's so awful when I can't watch a series past episode 3, yanno? XDWait... Taishi Ci is the hulking big guy. Lu Meng (Ryomou) is the blue-haired girl with the eye-patch and the wrestling holds?

And seriously, I don't even mind fanservice on a conceptual level. I just can't stand the sheer amount of it there.Seconded.

The penalty for Godwin's Law in the Universal Century universe is vaporization via strategic laserI thought it was colony drop? :smallwink:

Recommended Gundam for "elaborate tank" style mecha: 0080, 08th MS Team.
Recommended Gundam for entirely opposite reason: G. :smallbiggrin:

Rogue 7
2008-06-06, 12:11 PM
Now, I'll qualify this by saying that my largest exposure to humongous mecha has been the IGPX dub on Cartoon Network (which is quite good, by the way, but I digress) and my Tau army, of which tanks play a much greater significance than battlesuits. But from what I've seen of some gundam videos and the like (off youtube when I'm bored), aren't they almost more like slower, tougher jet fighters? The Tau play as mobile gun platforms- fragile as all get out (seriously, 2 wounds and a 3+ save on my army's only reliable means of mid-strength firepower?), but with heavy weapons they can use by jumping out of cover, shooting something, then jumping back in. Broadsides with shield drones, on the other hand, are tough *************, but they don't move very much.

Artemician
2008-06-06, 12:41 PM
Closet_skeleton: yeah, I guess I misinterpreted what you said. Sorry for getting all shouty about it, but you were throwing around some pretty offensive terms, and I just chose to take it in the worst way possible. Anyway, I'm over it, new subject.
"Elaborate tanks" is my general preference for mecha as well. They're pretty much exactly that in Full Metal Panic!, for example, except of course for the few with a Super Special Awesome new weapons system connected to the plot of the series (but not, unusually, the main plot point). Mobile Suit Gundam, at least the UC shows, tend to show their mecha in a similar light. In fact, you can pretty much make a direct parallel between Zeon's mobile suit development and World War II Germany's (but be careful. The penalty for Godwin's Law in the Universal Century universe is vaporization via strategic laser). Martian Successor Nadesico, too, though some people model their machines off of silly Super Robot designs...and it's damn effective.

I pretty much saw ARM Slaves as upscaled suits of Powered Armour anyway - they certainly behave like them. Not that that's *bad*, but the way they're constructed and behave simply does not make sense in a 10 metre tall mecha, like externally mounted weapons systems or opposable thumbs. Thus, when I watch FMP, I don my AutoMatic-Resizing-Weapon-Filter (tm) which lets me see them as 4m tall robotic suits. I like it a lot better that way.

Not to mention, that same filter also comes in extremely handy when watching shows about people who use extremely oversized swords. That way when I watch them, my brain doesn't implode from the sheer stupidity of it.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-06, 01:25 PM
Now, I'll qualify this by saying that my largest exposure to humongous mecha has been the IGPX dub on Cartoon Network (which is quite good, by the way, but I digress) and my Tau army, of which tanks play a much greater significance than battlesuits. But from what I've seen of some gundam videos and the like (off youtube when I'm bored), aren't they almost more like slower, tougher jet fighters? The Tau play as mobile gun platforms- fragile as all get out (seriously, 2 wounds and a 3+ save on my army's only reliable means of mid-strength firepower?), but with heavy weapons they can use by jumping out of cover, shooting something, then jumping back in. Broadsides with shield drones, on the other hand, are tough *************, but they don't move very much.Now, the only Gundam I've watched more than a bit of is the original, so I'll answer in terms of that.

In space, mobile suits act as either 20th century tank armies (squaring off, firing, then evading) or, when they've engaged one-to-one, Old School Dogfighting (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OldSchoolDogfighting), largely concerned with outmaneuvering the enemy and getting a clean shot from where they can't fire back. This is especially used in the Char vs. Amuro fights. In this latter case, they are in fact "slower, tougher jet fighters", especially the Gundam, whose main advantage at the start of the show is ludicrously overpowered armor (Zeon gets better weapons further on; fortunately, Amuro gets a lot better at piloting).

On the ground, it's a slightly different story. Big fights still play out like WWII tank battles, I guess, but frankly, most of the fights, especially the smaller ones, seem like combat between groups of very large infantrymen, engaging with rifles and melee weapons (generally, if you're a named character, you're going to be in lots of sword fights), using cover and squad tactics, etc. This is where Artemecian mentally scales them down to make sense. I'll freely admit, mecha make no damn sense on a planetary surface, and only very minimal sense in space.

So, qualified yes. For some generic overview of Mobile Suit tactics, see this page (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AcePilot) and its references.

Rutee
2008-06-06, 01:32 PM
See, I just take it all as is. It's so much easier when you can take stuff at face value XD

They're not really jet fighters though. Fighters exist for Aerial Supremacy, and to guard bombers; Mobile Suits (And most other humongous mecha) are all around weapons of war (Or giant metal superheroes). In a real robot show, they're vehicles, full stop. They don't supplant any one specific vehicle. Usually, anyway. And no, they're not meant to make sense by realistic physics. They're fully rule of cool, and they're damn good at that.

bluish_wolf
2008-06-06, 01:43 PM
See, now this is starting to sound like a military discussion rather than an anime one. Stupid mecha...

Artemician
2008-06-06, 01:55 PM
I was talking about FMP! in specific in my earlier post - in that show, the Mecha behave *exactly* like Powered Armour suits, rather than Giant Robots. Given that they conform exactly to my expectations to how a Powered Armour Suit would behave, and do not conform to my expectations of how a Giant Robot would behave, I find it much cooler to mentally downscale them, as Nerd-O-Rama described.

That way, instead of going "WHY WOULD ANY SANE PERSON BUILD A ROBOT LIKE THAT?", I can go "THIS IS TOTALLY AWESOME!!!! ONEONE!"

On a related tanget, I've never watched Gundam proper, other than a short stint with Gundam Wing in my early childhood, but I recall getting into an argument with my friend over why mecha are completely useless in Space. IIRC, we came to the conclusion that Urban warfare was one of the areas in which the use of mecha actually works.

Rutee
2008-06-06, 01:57 PM
Oh hell no. I don't want the gremlins of realism finding cause to go in here and redo this. They don't work, nobody cares because they're still cool, let's move on with our lives.

Artemician
2008-06-06, 02:05 PM
Realism is not a Boolean operator. Rather, it is a sliding scale. I find some loss of realism for coolness acceptable, but not so much loss to the extent of wallbangerism.

As in, I can tolerate breaking some laws for coolness, but sometimes it can go way too far for my liking. Exactly when this goes too far is dependent on several factors, including the way the entire setting as a whole is portrayed, the coolness of the event/object in question, as well as my intoxication level at that time.

For example, I can accept Ganmen, despite them being completely over-the-top and unrealistic. This is because Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan is completely awesome, and also because it makes sense in the setting.

In the case of FMP!, ARM Slaves don't make sense in the setting if you treat them as Giant Robots. They make a buttload of sense if you treat them as Powered Armour suits. This only applies in setting, of course, but who gives a damn about real life when you're watching a TV show?

But well, if you put down setting rules, you make sure you follow those rules! Yarrrr.

Rogue 7
2008-06-06, 02:40 PM
A major industrial/urban area would make sense for mecha, as they would be able to use cover much more efficiently than a normal tank would. Let's say there's some narrow street with large buildings on either side. A tank starts at one end, and a mecha at the other. They've got roughly equal firepower. Now the tank has to expose itself to bring its main cannon to bear, while the mecha can poke its head and gun out from around a corner of a building. It would also most likely be significantly more agile than a tank.

Attilargh
2008-06-06, 02:56 PM
Let's not get into that discussion again, it hasn't been all that long since the last time.

Instead, let me just remind you all that Baccano! is great fun if you don't mind some rather graphic violence. Check it out. Tomokazu Sugita's completely over-the-top performance in the last three OVAs is so very worth it by itself.

Rutee
2008-06-06, 03:01 PM
As far as I'm concerned, as long as you begin with a level of absurdity, you're good. Home Improvement works for me; It starts with absurdity (Tim Allen's character being the centerpiece). CSI doesn't (Justice Shades aside) so that doesn't work for me. And seriously, I do not want this freaking "They're not realistic" As to "Follow the rules once you make them!", "Giant Robots work and make complete sense irrespective of the laws of physics" is a rule, if an unstated one.

Terraoblivion
2008-06-06, 03:14 PM
Like has been said the Arm Slaves of FMP are not really the focus of the show, they seem to mostly be there because giant robots are cooler than other combat vehicles. Which is why i am actually able to like it, had the robots and especially the technology behind the robots been the focus i would have been dreadfully bored.

This is not the most important aspect of the show, however, the most important aspect is the plot and the characters. And these are quite good. Not perfect by any means, but quite good nonetheless. Also the show mostly sticks to combat actually being lethal and even light hand guns being potentially deadly against even the most skilled humans. Not going to say much more until Nerdo is further into it though.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-06, 03:56 PM
Instead, let me just remind you all that Baccano! is great fun if you don't mind some rather graphic violence. Check it out. Tomokazu Sugita's completely over-the-top performance in the last three OVAs is so very worth it by itself.

Already watched it. In fact, generally I find in this thread that I've no idea about what the majority of people are posting about but have seen all the other shows that people suggest people should watch.

Also the show mostly sticks to combat actually being lethal and even light hand guns being potentially deadly against even the most skilled humans. Not going to say much more until Nerdo is further into it though.

Sadly Second Raid slightly ruins that.

With knife fighters who can kill hundreds of people with assault rifles because knives are more awesome than assault rifles.

Terraoblivion
2008-06-06, 04:01 PM
That is true. I had completely repressed that. I mean under certain circumstances knives are more useful than assault rifles and given time you could potentially kill hundreds of assault rifle armed people. That is not the case there, though.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-06, 04:03 PM
I did click that spoiler, and I will say that I assume that was the fault of the Phlebotinum and an experienced pilot.

Anyway, I remembered a story. A couple weeks ago, I finally found the Martian Successor Nadesico manga that I'd been curious about ever since I read snippets of the plot on Wikipedia (apparently, the manga has a Shadow-Mirror Universe, among other things.) So, I picked it up, started reading, and promptly had my eyes catch fire the art was so bad, and I had to put it down. So, while I'll never probably here any details about Parallel Universe Empress Yurika, or something like that, it does make my slightly more amenable to art styles I had previously found questionable. And leaves me with no good reason not to pick up Neon Genesis Evangelion: Angelic Days besides pride and masculinity.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-06, 04:19 PM
It's odd, I have no problem with machines, I just feel sick in cars. I have nothing against Steam Rollers, Traction Engines, Water Wheels and other useful devices.

That is true. I had completely repressed that. I mean under certain circumstances knives are more useful than assault rifles and given time you could potentially kill hundreds of assault rifle armed people. That is not the case there, though.

Well, for example, assault rifles are next to useless for cooking.

I did click that spoiler, and I will say that I assume that was the fault of the Phlebotinum and an experienced pilot.

Sadly, no mecha are involved in that scene.

It's just a twincest happy assasin in a Chinese dress killing experianced soldiers.

So, I picked it up, started reading, and promptly had my eyes catch fire the art was so bad, and I had to put it down.

A pity.

I And leaves me with no good reason not to pick up Neon Genesis Evangelion: Angelic Days besides pride and masculinity.

Apart from how horrible the art is?

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-06, 05:18 PM
No, the thing is, I don't like the art in that particular Evangelion spinoff. But after seeing how terrible art could be in the Nadesico manga, I'm willing to accept the merely mediocre as good.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-06, 05:37 PM
No, the thing is, I don't like the art in that particular Evangelion spinoff. But after seeing how terrible art could be in the Nadesico manga, I'm willing to accept the merely mediocre as good.

Since I like to use comics as references for fanart I refuse to buy comics with bad art. Regretably this means that I often settle for buying comics with crap stories but in those cases I can easily erase all the speech bubbles with tip-ex and invent my own stories to go with the art. No, I don't really have the bravery to do that.

If you need an arguement to save you from having to purchase Angelic Days due to your newly lowered standards, remember that you are not infinately rich and would be better off saving your money for something you actually want. Just think, that if you don't spend that money, merely putting it into a bank to collect 1$ worth of interest over several years will benifit your life more than subjecting yourself to that art would.

Fri
2008-06-06, 07:45 PM
What were those twin's purpose anyway? I guess they're just there to get nekkid and hug each other suggestively...

My friend told me that in the original novel, those twin are male, and actually only minor character. huh...

But he also told me that in real world sense, Mithril is actually a terrorist group.

I had another friend who totally despise mecha shows. His only exception were FMP and Patlabor. But not because he hate mechs, or mechs are silly and impossible in Real Life (okay, maybe a little).

His reason were, more or less, the protagonists' plot armor. Basically just watch gundam and see how the protagonist totally annihilate every mook without a drop of sweat, he hate that.

Oh, and on the matter of angelic days, beside the art, what do you guys think about it? I heard that a lot of people really hate that spinoff, but I kinda like it.

Terraoblivion
2008-06-06, 07:49 PM
Technically speaking Mithril is a terrorist organization. They are an underground army, with mysterious funding that meddles in conflicts worldwide. Sounds kinda like a more badass version of Al-Qaeda with a different ideology, to me.

Tengu
2008-06-06, 07:53 PM
What were those twin's purpose anyway? I guess they're just there to get nekkid and hug each other suggestively...

Provide fanservice for people creepy enough to enjoy lesbian twincest (which is fine) provided by almost-emotionless serial killers (which is not). And to show how freaking their boss is that he makes them look almost sympathetic in comparison.

My friend told me that in the original novel, those twin are male, and actually only minor character. huh...

He is not mistaken.

But he also told me that in real world sense, Mithril is actually a terrorist group.

Although here, he is. Mythril is simply a mercanary organisation.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-06, 07:54 PM
EDIT: Bloody ninja, I'm not going to mess with the quote box.

Fri: It's...well, frankly, I mostly like it for the hilarious wrongness of the concept. What I've read of it is amusing but plain romantic comedy. However, they apparently bring the Angels and Evas back into it, and basically have the plot of the show starring less emotionally-crippled people, which should make for amusing juxtaposition if I ever happen to read that far.

And your friend should read Tomino's novelization of the first Gundam series. Apparently, one of the main characters, at least, left his plot armor at home...plus, some Gundam series are more egregious with plot armor than others anyway. Wing and SEED are apparently at the high end (although I think the point of Wing is "main characters beating the crap out of everything" anyway), 00 is apparently at the low end.

And Mithril hardly seem mercenary to me. They follow their own ideology, rather than hiring themselves out. Let's just be politically correct and call them an "armed Non-Governmental Organization", shall we?

Tengu
2008-06-06, 08:05 PM
I think they are simply hired (and permanently contracted) by some wealthy and powerful figure who prefers to remain anonymous (spelling?). Well, and they also share that person's high moral standards and idealism (though they're not boyscouts - remember the interrogation in Second Raid?).

Terraoblivion
2008-06-06, 08:06 PM
Mithril is a mercenary organization only insofar that the soldiers of Mithril are mercenaries. The organization itself works for some rather mysterious goals, though it seems to have ties to the US government in one form or another. No matter what there is more to them than just being a group of mercenaries. I mean has any of the missions they perform actually involved them being paid by anybody?

LBO
2008-06-06, 08:51 PM
Yakitate Japan. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkL3bscnbcY)

Mind screw, or mind screw?

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-06, 10:38 PM
Serious Business.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-07, 04:14 AM
Fri: It's...well, frankly, I mostly like it for the hilarious wrongness of the concept. What I've read of it is amusing but plain romantic comedy. However, they apparently bring the Angels and Evas back into it, and basically have the plot of the show starring less emotionally-crippled people, which should make for amusing juxtaposition if I ever happen to read that far.

The problem with turning Eva into a romantic comedy is that romantic comedies tend to need likable characters, while Eva contains exactly 1 likable character.

Wing and SEED are apparently at the high end (although I think the point of Wing is "main characters beating the crap out of everything" anyway), 00 is apparently at the low end.

Wing is pretty bad with Leo syndrome, where if a nameless guy is in a Leo it will explode no matter what hits it, while if a named character is in a Leo all shows will cause damage to extremities and the mecha will never explode. SEED had plenty of named characters dying but still had massive plot armour f your name was Athrun or Kira. The real annoying part of SEED wasn't plot armour but how easily Gundams could kill capital ships. However despite Freedom Gundam's ability to defeat entire armies of generic pilots it did tend to suffer serious damage when fighting the Char clone or the druggies. SEED Destiny is just Wing all over again however.

And Mithril hardly seem mercenary to me. They follow their own ideology, rather than hiring themselves out. Let's just be politically correct and call them an "armed Non-Governmental Organization", shall we?

Or a Sovereign Para-military Organisation.

Yaki-tate Japan is not a mind ****, it's a pun series where the puns cannot be translated into English.

Echowinds
2008-06-07, 04:38 AM
Yakitate Japan

That show is win. It's so over the top that it parodies shonen shows.

Fri
2008-06-07, 07:00 AM
You know, it started out pretty realistic, with the occasional lsd induced breads. But then Pierrot appeared and kick realism to the curb.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-07, 11:01 AM
The problem with turning Eva into a romantic comedy is that romantic comedies tend to need likable characters, while Eva contains exactly 1 likable character.Angelic Days Rei seems nice, since she's a completely different character. Angelic Days Shinji is still a loser, but one more sympathetic to the audience, at least in the first volume or so. So that's three likeable characters (I'm guessing your one was Misato?)

But yeah, that's part of what I meant by "hilarious wrongness".

Attilargh
2008-06-07, 11:03 AM
A day or so back I realized that with the Wizards' Implements and non-Vancian magic, 4E should make for a pretty darn fine system to run games in the Nanoha-verse. That's all.

Xilehxt
2008-06-07, 11:44 AM
Divine Buster Mage Attack 13
Encounter - Arcane, Radiant, Implement
Standard Action Range 20
Target: All creatures in between caster and target, including target.
Attack: Intelligence vs Reflex
Hit: 4d8 + Intelligence modifier radiant damage
Special: If you are using the cartridge implement, increase base damage by 1d8 for each cartridge spent.

Something like that? 4E does seem good for emulating anime and the like...

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-07, 01:55 PM
Angelic Days Rei seems nice, since she's a completely different character. Angelic Days Shinji is still a loser, but one more sympathetic to the audience, at least in the first volume or so. So that's three likeable characters (I'm guessing your one was Misato?)

But yeah, that's part of what I meant by "hilarious wrongness".

No, my one was Kaji. Misato would have been number 2 though.

You can change characters to make them more likable, but then it's not the same anymore.

A day or so back I realized that with the Wizards' Implements and non-Vancian magic, 4E should make for a pretty darn fine system to run games in the Nanoha-verse. That's all.

I thought you just used Psionics. I remember at least one method of putting power points into crystals to store them.

Something like that? 4E does seem good for emulating anime and the like...

No level dependant attributes?

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-07, 02:09 PM
Yeah, well...the manga's based off of Wacky Shinji Fantasyverse from the finale, so it's going to have the characterizations there. Rei's probably the most notable departure from the rest of the show is all.

In 3.5, I'd have done Nanoha as a Warlock, beamspam lover that she is. With lots of damage boosters. And ignoring the alignment restriction, as she's pretty darned LG. Maybe NG.

But yeah, 4th is probably better as it's a non-Vancian system all the way through.

Attilargh
2008-06-07, 02:16 PM
My adaptation would be much simpler: Just change the word "Implement" into "Device", have most wizards use staves, and describe encounterlies and dailies as eating cartridges. Oh, and rename the powers appropriately. And that's pretty much it.

Rutee
2008-06-07, 02:19 PM
I like Attilargh's way. The less monkeying you have to do, the better.

Attilargh
2008-06-07, 02:23 PM
Now that I've actually put some thought into this, I realize Nanoha would still have to be statted as a Warlock, as Wizard is simply the wrong rclass for someone who is so clearly a...

(Wait for it...)

Striker. *drumroll*

bluish_wolf
2008-06-07, 02:48 PM
Now that I've actually put some thought into this, I realize Nanoha would still have to be statted as a Warlock, as Wizard is simply the wrong rclass for someone who is so clearly a...

(Wait for it...)

Striker. *drumroll*

I think a warlock/white devil joke would have been better.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-07, 03:33 PM
Yeah, but it wouldn't have actually been funny. Attilargh's joke, meanwhile, was so terrible I laughed at it.

Rutee
2008-06-07, 03:50 PM

(Wait for it...)

Striker. *drumroll*

That was awful, and you make me ashamed to know you :smallbiggrin:

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-07, 03:52 PM
Anyone else watching Alison to Lillia?

So far it's basically been:

"What are we doing in our school holidays Alison?"
"Same thing we do every holiday Will, solve a national crisis!"

tyckspoon
2008-06-07, 05:22 PM
My sister and I watched the first episode during a sampling run (ie, 'That has an interesting title. Let's watch that.') It didn't grab us; probably won't go out of our way to follow it.

Mirrinus
2008-06-07, 05:39 PM
I've been watching Allison and Lillia, but it's been somewhat disappointing thus far. First off, the animation quality is below par for the season. Secondly, the show's conflicts are resolved in rather ridiculous fashions; the villains get defeated by random gusts of wind and coincidental rock slides while the good guys just stand there. I still can't believe just how they ended a century-long war between two great countries. Thirdly, Will is denser than a block of lead when it comes to noticing that Allison is hitting on him every five minutes. Will's behavior has seriously made me want to bang my head against a wall. "Will, would you like to move in with me after you finish school? And let's sleep in the same bed tonight!" "Sorry, what were you say? I was too busy looking at the wall ornaments."

On another note, is anyone following The Tower of Druaga: The Aegis of Uruk? On paper, the show's premise looks like a recipe for disaster. It's based off of a video game, and the promotion art looks just like your generic RPG-based anime, which almost never turn out good no matter how good the original game was (Disgaea, Final Fantasy Unlimited, etc.). The plot is your standard 5-man band traversing through some obscenely huge dungeon. And it's by Studio GONZO, which means you can expect generally good animation but very hit-or-miss writing and pacing. But then you notice that the director is Koichi Chigira, who brought us such treasures as Last Exile and Full Metal Panic. Then you notice that the series composer is Shoji Gatoh, who was the scenario writer for episodes of Full Metal Panic, Lucky Star, and even my personal favorite episode of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Anyway, the non-indicitive first episode (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NonIndicativeFirstEpisode) of the show reminds me greatly of the first episode of Suzumiya Haruhi, filled to the brim with parodies of tropes from the Grand List of RPG Cliches (http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html). So long as the show doesn't take itself seriously, it's definitely one of the more palpable shows based off of a video game. And the OP is quite catchy and very imaginative.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-07, 06:04 PM
I've been watching Allison and Lillia, but it's been somewhat disappointing thus far.

It isn't great by any means but it can be a breath of fresh air from time to time. Sadly not every anime with planes can be Last Exile.

First off, the animation quality is below par for the season. Secondly, the show's conflicts are resolved in rather ridiculous fashions; the villains get defeated by random gusts of wind and coincidental rock slides while the good guys just stand there. I still can't believe just how they ended a century-long war between two great countries.

But that's what's so fun.

Sometimes it's nice to have a show where the plot gets resolved quickly and nobody important dies.

Thirdly, Will is denser than a block of lead when it comes to noticing that Allison is hitting on him every five minutes. Will's behavior has seriously made me want to bang my head against a wall.

Yes, it's a trope:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SelectiveObliviousness.

It'll probably be resolved no slower than normal romance stories, it just looks like he's especially oblivious because of how quickly the rest of the plot moves.

On another note, is anyone following The Tower of Druaga: The Aegis of Uruk

It's basically Slayers or Mahou Senshi Rui, which isn't neccesaraly a bad thing.

So long as the show doesn't take itself seriously, it's definitely one of the more palpable shows based off of a video game.

It's no Gungrave. It's possibly slightly better than the Star Ocean anime, which wasn't so bad.

Xilehxt
2008-06-07, 06:11 PM
I'm watching Druaga. Was pleasantly surprised at a traditional fantasy anime, haven't seen those in quite awhile, and the first episode was hilarious, but glad that it only was for the first episode. Based on how the story is going, looks like it'll be 13 episodes. Average in this season.

Mirrinus
2008-06-07, 06:15 PM
It But that's what's so fun.

Sometimes it's nice to have a show where the plot gets resolved quickly and nobody important dies.

The simplistic way the show resolves all its conflicts makes me think it's really intended for a younger audience. That's fine and all, but it does detract from the enjoyment that I myself derive from it. I'm really just watching it mostly because I like Allison and Benedict as characters.

Tengu
2008-06-08, 01:35 AM

(Wait for it...)

Striker. *drumroll*

That made me twitch and I didn't even watch Nanoha.

Hmm, which led to a thought - apparently one of the elements that make me rate RPGs is how good can you reflect anime in them. Which can translate to how universal they are, seeing how many genres anime cover...

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-08, 03:46 AM
The simplistic way the show resolves all its conflicts makes me think it's really intended for a younger audience. That's fine and all, but it does detract from the enjoyment that I myself derive from it.

I'm dead sure that it's intended for younger audiences. I would guess that it's based off a childrens book series, which would explain the short all inclusive arcs.

The target audience does it give one advantage though: no distracting fanservice

But how many American kids shows have Broomhandle Mausers and Tiger Moths? Even though problems get solved in rediculously naive ways if you were to try and show it in America it would have to be completely censored to pieces.

I'm watching Druaga. Was pleasantly surprised at a traditional fantasy anime, haven't seen those in quite awhile.

It is a genre that I haven't seen in a while and that is a good thing, but it's a genre with quite a decent pedigree in Japan.

Based on how the story is going, looks like it'll be 13 episodes. Average in this season.

I'm guessing it could go for 26. The story isn't moving very quickly at all. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 13 though. If it's a 13 it might just end without them reaching the top of the tower. But I'm getting the feeling that many things from the first episode are going to turn out to be true, since he already has Gilgamesh's sword.

bluish_wolf
2008-06-08, 01:36 PM
Everyone look at this awesome Haruhi MAD movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4cH-tcVs7s

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-08, 01:57 PM
That was awesomely done, although I've never seen what it was based on (Little Busters?) and there appear to be six minutes of nonexistent video at the end.

Xilehxt
2008-06-08, 02:38 PM
I'm guessing it could go for 26. The story isn't moving very quickly at all. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 13 though. If it's a 13 it might just end without them reaching the top of the tower. But I'm getting the feeling that many things from the first episode are going to turn out to be true, since he already has Gilgamesh's sword.

Don't know how far you are, but in episode 10, they've reached the top.

Attilargh
2008-06-08, 02:40 PM
That segment in the end somehow allows the video creator to make the quality better. Don't ask me how, but it seems to be working. A very nice video, I must say.

Tengu
2008-06-08, 03:06 PM
That was a great video. Would probably be even better if I knew the visual novel in question.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-08, 03:52 PM
Don't know how far you are, but in episode 10, they've reached the top.

I'm on episode 7 or so.

Mirrinus
2008-06-08, 04:01 PM

Only 6 DVDs for the series will be released according to the product information, and most Japanese series only have 2-3 episodes at the most per DVD. The first DVD only contains 1 episode, actually.

Also, as Tim_the_Enchanter has stated,

as of episode 10, they've reached the final shrine of the tower. Druaga himself appears in the preview for episode 11 (as a very distracting CG creature).

While I find The Tower of Druaga to be fairly enjoyable, I'm just not taking the whole shift from comedy to seriousness very well. The show started off all lighthearted as it parodied all sorts of RPG cliches, but as it drifted more into serious drama, I find that I just can't take it seriously at all. I want to be concerned about Kaaya's impending betrayal, but I can't forget that just two episodes ago she was controlling Jil through a silly homage of the original video game while a Star Wars sand raider sells soft drinks nearby. I'd like to ponder over Neeba's motives for acting like a complete bastard towards Fatina, but I'm too distracted by images of neko-Neeba having his tail almost pulled by Utu and Kally. I'm not opposed to a show that mixes comedy with drama; Rozen Maiden did it, and it's one of my favorite shows. But I think the problem is that The Tower of Druaga tries to derive both comedy and drama from the same source: the quest to climb the tower. Rozen Maiden kept it wholly separate, with comedy coming from the slice-of-life type daily misadventures of the dolls, and the drama from the highlander-esque Alice Game. The Tower of Druaga mixes the two, and it feels like the overall product is diluted both ways. Yes, it's serious when the manipulative succubus sends an army of minotaurs to attack the protagonists, but the very same tower also featured magic traps that switch people's genders or force them into silly animal costumes. I just can't take the quest seriously anymore; the characters are basically going into Serious Business mode about a tower where you have to perform comedy routines to advance to the next level. And in doing so, the show has lost some of the charm that first attracted me to it. I just pray there won't be a downer ending, because that would shatter all of the charm I had felt. But as the two most recent episodes indicate, I'm not holding my breath.

And yes, that MAD video rocks. And seeing as Little Busters is the latest Key/Visual Arts release, chances are highly likely that Kyoto Animation will one day adapt that.

The original OP is this, btw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VatkGGooKrI

bluish_wolf
2008-06-08, 04:04 PM
That was awesomely done, although I've never seen what it was based on (Little Busters?) and there appear to be six minutes of nonexistent video at the end.

Little Busters! is a visual novel from Key, the people who brought us Kanon, Clannad, and Planetarian. You can read more about it here: http://vndb.org/v5

The six minutes of empty space at the end are just there to reduce the effect of youtube's horrible decompression process.

Drascin
2008-06-08, 04:06 PM

A quick youtube search finds the original opening sequence (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VatkGGooKrI) the MAD parodies. It is apparently a new Key game. Also, knowing the original only magnifies the awesome of the MAD, given it's not only cool, but also rather alike it (and, dare I say it, more engaging than it).

Ah, also, while we're talking MADs, Nerdo, you should probably watch this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBX0qv_7gJY). I find it's one of the best Nanoha MADs around, myself, and tend to carry it in my DS frequently.

EDIT: Gak! Double ninja'd! This should teach me not to leave the message half-written while going to dinner...

Mirrinus
2008-06-08, 04:08 PM
Ah, I've seen that Nanoha MAD too. One of my favorites as well.

Fine, while we're on the subject of MADs, there's one of my favorites (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBVfCdlGRco). Yes, the show is Kanon, but that song is an insert from Nanoha A's.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-08, 04:13 PM
Only 6 DVDs for the series will be released according to the product information, and most Japanese series only have 2-3 episodes at the most per DVD. The first DVD only contains 1 episode, actually.

Ah yes, Japan and it's rip-off media mechandise.

While I find The Tower of Druaga to be fairly enjoyable, I'm just not taking the whole shift from comedy to seriousness very well. The show started off all lighthearted as it parodied all sorts of RPG cliches, but as it drifted more into serious drama, I find that I just can't take it seriously at all.

It's not that uncommon for anime to suddenly shift like that. Maybe I'm just used to it but I never have a problem with anime suddenly turning serious and many serious anime have tons of jokes in anyway. I don't see why a story shouldn't "have everything" and should need to be either a complete comedy or an entirely dry drama. Maybe that's why I'm one of the few people here who seems to have been able to fully appreciate Elfen Lied.

Of course it's also possible that Tower of Druaga pulls it off really badly and that's why you can't take it seriously but I'll have to watch more episodes (and I'm probably going to end up watching it very slowly since my family tends to save the best anime for fridays and homemade pizza).

I'm guessing MAD doesn't stand for "mutually assured destruction" in this context. Some kind of subcategory of AMV?

Mirrinus
2008-06-08, 04:20 PM
As I said, I don't have a problem with combining both comedy and drama (as Rozen Maiden did), but it is irritating when the comedy prevents the drama from being taken seriously. The Mood Whiplash (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MoodWhiplash) is worsened by the increasingly Serious Business attitude of the cast towards the increasingly absurd tower. And I don't think that part was meant to be a parody.

MAD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAD_Movie) is basically a Japanese-made AMV.

bluish_wolf
2008-06-08, 04:25 PM
I'm guessing MAD doesn't stand for "mutually assured destruction" in this context. Some kind of subcategory of AMV?

Other way around. MAD is the more general and just refers to any fan-made movie.

You write in all caps, but it isn't a acronym. I've heard that the term comes from the title of one of the earlier ones.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-08, 04:27 PM
And I don't think that part was meant to be a parody.

That's the hard part to sort out with these things. One of the things The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya did well was it was obvious when it was parodying something and when it wasn't.

Mirrinus
2008-06-08, 04:33 PM
You'll know what I mean when you get there (I'm thinking more of episode 10).

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-08, 04:35 PM
Ah, also, while we're talking MADs, Nerdo, you should probably watch this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBX0qv_7gJY). I find it's one of the best Nanoha MADs around, myself, and tend to carry it in my DS frequently.That was awesome as well. Really conveys the awesomewin that is A's. I also liked the Kanon one, although mostly for the song. Maybe I should watch those Key Visual Arts things.

Mirrinus
2008-06-08, 04:53 PM
I personally would recommend watching some of Kyoto Animation's adaptations of Key/Visual Arts visual novels, AIR, Kanon, and Clannad. Of the three, I liked Clannad the best, followed closely by Kanon. I liked AIR mostly for the ending (one of the most tear-inducing (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TearJerkerAnime) anime endings). I was initially extremely skeptical of them, having known that they were based off of eroge (well, two of them, anyway). However, the shows themselves tend to be fairly clean, with far less fanservice than I expected (these are Kyoto Animation skirts (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicSkirt), after all). The storylines, scripting, and voice acting were all excellent and very moving too, and the animation quality for these shows was simply phenominal (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SceneryPorn) (the snowfall effects in Kanon were just ridiculous). And I admit, I totally cried for several of the arcs, and I don't normally cry often. Although, not every story arc is sad.

I think my favorite thing about these shows, though, were the male leads. They were just so different from your traditional wimpy male anime lead, it was so much fun watching them be snarky and witty (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeadpanSnarker), much like Kyon was. Of course, sharing the same voice actor as Kyon does sort of help...

Actually, the shows have converted me enough to the point that I would defend them against those who label them as "harem" shows. Many fans think these shows differ drastically in their approach compared to most recognized harem shows. For example, Kanon focuses almost exclusively on just one girl at a time to the point that it's more like a collection of separate shorter stories that just happen to share some characters and settings (which the original work technically was). Clannad, meanwhile, not only makes the official couple painfuly obvious from the start, but also swiftly disbatches any potential contenders in one powerful scene in the middle of the series. Plus, there's the actual content of Clannad ~After Story~...

Drascin
2008-06-08, 04:56 PM
Fine, while we're on the subject of MADs, there's one of my favorites (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBVfCdlGRco). Yes, the show is Kanon, but that song is an insert from Nanoha A's.

Aaaand I am reminded why I absolutely forbid myself to watch Kanon and shows like it. It's nothing but a MAD, I haven't seen the series, and yet what I can already basically imagine about the plot of the thing it's managed to squeeze my heart more than a bit already even without the dialogues - I can only assume that actually watching that would leave me crying like a little kid.

Snow Rain probably didn't help, either - it's an awesome song, probably about second place from all the Nanoha soundtrack, but it's not exactly conductive to happy, hotblooded thoughts :smallsmile:

That was awesome as well. Really conveys the awesomewin that is A's.

Indeed. As said, I like to watch it every few days or so ^^. I got a couple more good ones, but they're from StrikerS and I don't want to spoil you anything :smallwink:

Mirrinus
2008-06-08, 05:15 PM
Ah yes, and here's my tribute to the White Devil:

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/8285/nanohathewhitedevilmb4.jpg

My goal was to capture the flavor of her "befriending" the crap out of villains.

Edit: Changed the card a bit, because as was previously written, its ability worked on itself, which isn't what I was trying to convey.

Drascin
2008-06-08, 05:40 PM
Ah yes, and here's my tribute to the White Devil:

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/9162/nanohathewhitedevilnu4.jpg

My goal was to capture the flavor of her "befriending" the crap out of villains.

Ahhh, it's been a lot since I got into MSE, myself - I think I haven't used it since I made that 140-card Disgaea set. I should really get back to it.

Anyway, as of yours, nice card, there - and pretty freaking good for a control deck at that :smalltongue:.

*grumble grumble* But she's not a devil, goddamnit all! She's freaking Lawful Good, for the love of the Goddess! *grumble grumble*

Errr... sorry. Not exactly directed at you - just a general peeve with the continuous portrayal of Nanoha as a bloodthirsty maniac.

Anyway, you've got me thinking Nanohaverse would make for some neat cardmaking in general. I think tomorrow morning I'll dust off the MSE and start working on it :smallbiggrin:. Right now, however, I should probably go to bed.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-08, 05:55 PM
Um, Nanoha isn't called "The White Devil" because she's evil. It's because 1) Vita calls her that once toward the end of A's and 2) It's what the Zekes used to call this guy:

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/msgundam/rx-78-2.jpg

Watch the show, the resemblance is uncanny.

Mirrinus
2008-06-08, 06:12 PM
Anyway, you've got me thinking Nanohaverse would make for some neat cardmaking in general. I think tomorrow morning I'll dust off the MSE and start working on it :smallbiggrin:. Right now, however, I should probably go to bed.

Yes, it's pretty ripe with flavorful mechanic ideas.

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/7632/vitahammerknightxk3.jpg

Actually a lot of anime are...I guess my signature kind of gives away my interest in it.

Xilehxt
2008-06-08, 06:43 PM
Most of KEY games are better off without the bed scenes anyway. Fans are puzzled at why they would ruin the game by the seemingly obligatory adult material.

Problem with anime adaptation that if they try to squeeze all the routes in there, it ends up being a harem, although it isn't. I thought CLANNAD handled that quite well, partially hybridizing all the characters but going with one in the end. (can't wait for the afterstory). Kanon I thought sorta went too far in each character's route and it ended up blurring Yuichi's character.

But yeah, I would recommend watching these as well, they are heartwrenching.

On a side note, anyone else notice the steadily declining quality of KyoAni? Air, Kanon, and SuzuHaru was ridiculously 'framefull' (can't think of a better word) but Clannad and Lucky Star...had some ehhh moments, although it's still better than most. Guess they started too high and I shouldn't complain and enjoy the wonderful anime that they put out?

Mirrinus
2008-06-08, 07:00 PM
Most fans I know thought the animation quality had improved with Clannad. I think there were actually fewer awkward shots in that than in Kanon; most seemed contained in just episode 19, probably due to having so many far-away shots, which tend to distort character designs (it's one of Kyoto Animation's main problems with their animation). Character designs also improved from Kanon, IMHO, and the overall effect of the show seems more clearer and sort of glassy; I especially like the reflection effects on windows.

Clannad probably had more scenes that made me go "oh snap!" over the animation quality than any of Kyoto Animation's other shows. Off the top of my head, I can think of the fountain in episode 7, Kotomi's window scene in 11, the butterflies in Kotomi's garden, the grass in the OP, Tomoyo's many fight scenes, Kyou's kicks and dictionary tosses, and many more. Definitely make sure you're watching the widescreen release version.

Lucky Star is just incomparable, because you can't really adapt a 4-koma series using the style that Kyoto Animation is most known for.

bluish_wolf
2008-06-08, 09:51 PM
The nice thing, though, is that currently every Key game (with the exception of Rewrite - as it's not even out yet) either has an unofficial English translation or is currently being translated.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-08, 10:17 PM
More Full Metal Panic!. Ah, relatively realistic mecha shows make for great fun.

Dude's rampaging around Tokyo in an incredibly huge, we're talking 5 stories minimum, mech. Sousuke shoots it in the Phlebotinum Generator. Classical physics reasserts itself. Huge mech crushes itself under own weight. Awesome.

That thing kind of reminded me of the Alteisen Riese from SRW, actually. So huge and topheavy it needs an antigravity device normally used for flight just to stand up straight.

Also, it's amazing the laugh mileage ADV films gets just out of re-casting VAs from famous roles. Have a throttle-happy psychopathic teenage super robot pilot with serious confidence and siscon issues? Call up Spike Spencer. He's free.

Terraoblivion
2008-06-08, 10:35 PM
Indeed. It is a great show with plenty of lampshade hanging of how their technology only works due to applied phlebotinum, which somehow makes it seem more awesome. The classical physics reasserting themselves is an example of this as is a comment by Mardukas (i think, it might be Kalinin) about how giant robots makes no sense and technological development should be much slower, but that it works so nobody cares too much.

And Spike Spencer does sound awesome for that role actually. He is the practically synonymous with that kind of characters after all XD

hanzo66
2008-06-08, 11:13 PM
I believe I've seen an interview with him taking a few shots at Shinji himself, making a few cracks about the guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy7h6khykE4

Rogue 7
2008-06-09, 12:35 AM
Once I finish Cowboy Bebop, I think I'm definitely going to have to check out Clannad. I can't tell why exactly I want to watch it, but I do.

Fri
2008-06-09, 12:37 AM
Talking about mech, Code Geass got quite a following in this board this season.... What about the deliciously trope ridden (cliche) Macross Frontier? Am I the only fans of that show here? Sure, it doesn't have any complicated political scene like Gundam or Code Geass, but for me the simplicity is the charm. It got mankind in a wagon train to the star against unknown alien, myth arc/gag, love triangle, childhood friend, and uhm, reverse jailbait. And it got some really hillarious song (SMS Macross Frontier got the most hillarious theme song for any military organization ever).

And.... since this place like Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star... what about School Rumble? It's my personal favourite school/slice of life/romance comedy. With a huge cast of character with something like this as a somewhat main plot... Character A loves Character B, Character B loves Character C, and Character C loves... curry. Somewhat

bluish_wolf
2008-06-09, 01:04 AM
Nyan, nyan, nyan, nyan, nihou, nyan. Gorgeous, delicious, deculture!

Fri
2008-06-09, 02:25 AM
You mean , Ninjin loves you yeah!

Drascin
2008-06-09, 03:41 AM
*yawn* Good morning everyone.

Um, Nanoha isn't called "The White Devil" because she's evil. It's because 1) Vita calls her that once toward the end of A's and 2) It's what the Zekes used to call this guy:

Watch the show, the resemblance is uncanny.

I know about the Gundam nickname, yeah (TVTropes is really useful :smalltongue:) but a lot of times I've noticed people call her Nanoha when they consider her a normal hero, and White Devil while interpreting her as a merciless destroyer. You can probably see why the nickname causes a bit of annoyance in me, after so much insistence on her being basically a malignant force of nature that I've been forced more than a couple times to remind people that that's fanon, not canon :smallyuk:. It's like people have gotten so used to wimpy mains that they can no longer differentiate between "driven" and "blood crazy".

Yes, it's pretty ripe with flavorful mechanic ideas.

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/7632/vitahammerknightxk3.jpg

Actually a lot of anime are...I guess my signature kind of gives away my interest in it.

Again, nice, though my own version would probably have added something about smashing artifacts to very little bits. Also, source of that pic, because my Vita folder is way too much empty for my liking despite her awesomeness :smalltongue:.

And.... since this place like Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star... what about School Rumble? It's my personal favourite school/slice of life/romance comedy. With a huge cast of character with something like this as a somewhat main plot... Character A loves Character B, Character B loves Character C, and Character C loves... curry. Somewhat

Watched the two anime seasons - it's very good, and has a lot of really funny moments interspersed with a few awesome ones. Harima is a really likable guy, even despite being more than a bit of an author stand-in (or maybe precisely for that) at times. Also, Akira is made of win and badass. Also, this might be the first series ever where I like the shy girl more than the Tsundere :smalltongue:.

Xilehxt
2008-06-09, 03:47 AM
Macross Frontier got me interested in the whole Macross series, but it seems like I can't watch really old anime...it just doesn't click. I watched the movie, Do you remember love and enjoyed it immensely though.

Whoo, School Rumble. One of my first animes, I remember laughing so much. They're actually going to have a third season and the manga seems (we don;t know yet if it's another goose chase...) to be finishing so I'll look forward to that.

Anyone got any plans for the upcoming season? I know for sure I'll be watching Slayers Revolution. *massive nostalgia rush from childhood*

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-09, 03:56 AM
I had to give up watching Clannad because the heroine was as annoying as heck. I did watch Air and my parents watched Kanon. I didn't really care enough about Air's annoying heroine to cry at the end and the story didn't make enough sense for me to get involved.

Talking about mech, Code Geass got quite a following in this board this season.... What about the deliciously trope ridden (cliche) Macross Frontier? Am I the only fans of that show here? Sure, it doesn't have any complicated political scene like Gundam or Code Geass, but for me the simplicity is the charm. It got mankind in a wagon train to the star against unknown alien, myth arc/gag, love triangle, childhood friend, and uhm, reverse jailbait. And it got some really hillarious song (SMS Macross Frontier got the most hillarious theme song for any military organization ever).

I was a big Robotech fan as a kid so of course I'm watching it. It's another show I'm slowly watching on fridays.

I even had a bit of Fridge Logic. In episode 1, when Sheryl's concert gets interupted the lights go out and he clothing changes to some kind of skin tight body suit. The obvious thing to think of was that he clothing was holographic. However since some of the stage outfits were incredibly slutty and covered less flesh than her bodysuit:

1. Was she only holographically almost naked

2. The body suit set itself to transparent

If 2 were likely, then the body suit would also be transparent. Unless they put in a failsafe to make it go opaque in case of a power failure and stop any embarresment. If 1 is true then it's a good way to excuse yourself and say "I don't really wear skimpy outfits when performing, I'm not a real slut".

Then in the more recent episode she actually changes backstage so she really was wearing that rediculously slutty outfit. Maybe she was wary of her holographic bodysuit accidentally malfunction in another attack.

Her hair also changes colour, which may just be the stage lights shining on it or she has holograpic hair as well.

I'm terrorfied that I thought all this out.

I love School Rumble as well.

Macross Frontier got me interested in the whole Macross series, but it seems like I can't watch really old anime...it just doesn't click. I watched the movie, Do you remember love and enjoyed it immensely though.

Watch Macross 0. It's a prequel with very good animation and a suspiciously ninja-like purple haired pacific islander.

Whoo, School Rumble. One of my first animes, I remember laughing so much. They're actually going to have a third season and the manga seems (we don;t know yet if it's another goose chase...) to be finishing so I'll look forward to that.

I could have sworn that the third season trailer was a joke.

Fri
2008-06-09, 07:24 AM
That.... Battle Royale "Arc" in school rumble was truly amazing. They're the best class to have in high school with no exception. There are maybe other individuals more interesting to spend time with in high school year, but as a class, those guys are the best hand down.

I'm still crossing my fingers for a third season actually.

And... about sherryl's bodysuit... that bother me as well. I assumed she wore a body suit, and her nakedness was only a hologram. But in her farewell concert, she actuall change clothing physically. Hmh, maybe there are some clothing that must be worn physically, and some clothing can be worn as hologram.

Tengu
2008-06-09, 08:29 AM
http://ffrpg.republika.pl/rutee.PNG

You don't have a heart if you're not missing her.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-09, 08:39 AM
Yeah, pretty sure that memorials for bannees are against the rules. I'm not report-happy though, so don't worry. Also, I talk to her on AIM, so no I don't miss her.

Anyhow, I should probably watch some Macross. Robotech seems rather pointless, but if I could find Subbed Original Macross, I bet I'd enjoy it. I need to finish up some other stuff before I watch anything else, though. For those keeping track at home, currently watching:

Full Metal Panic! (12/24 episodes)
Azumanga Daioh (9/26 episodes)
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS (2/26 episodes) (kinda put this one on hold)
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (0/50 episodes, but I bought the first ten)

This isn't counting my Haruhi DVDs that I just bought, since I already watched that show completely legitimately. *cough*

Tengu
2008-06-09, 08:42 AM
Lots of people had one for TLN when he got banned, and for a long time, so unless a mod tells me to remove it I ain't gonna.
And while I can still keep contact with Rutee, she won't be at these forums anymore - and they are not the same without her presence. Not to mention that we lost one of the staples of the Brigade.

Since my father downloaded Gunbuster and Diebuster recently I'm going to check them. At least after I manage to do something else than play Disgaea 2. Zam. And to think I have exams in 2 weeks.

Drascin
2008-06-09, 09:03 AM
While we're on that, I was wondering, why was Rutee banned? I have been unable to read much of the forum, so lately I've mostly stayed in a few threads... and suddenly, I just saw the "Banned" tag under her name in one thread.

Also,

Since my father downloaded Gunbuster and Diebuster recently I'm going to check them. At least after I manage to do something else than play Disgaea 2. Zam. And to think I have exams in 2 weeks.

Yeah, good luck with that :smalltongue:. It takes a man of much willpower to stop playing Disgaea 2 before beating it, even in the face of assured exam failures. I speak from experience here ^^u.

And I see I'm not the only Yukimaru fan around, zam :smallamused:.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-09, 09:22 AM
Accumulated infractions. Let it be a lesson to all of you that the d20 & General RPG Forums is SERIOUS BUSINESS.

And alright. You have a point. As a fellow brigade member, let me undertake a moment of silence for our boards' loss.

Okay then.

Fri
2008-06-09, 09:36 AM
What? Why? What happened?

Damnit Rutee! I knew it finally one of your antics would be your undoing!

I'm truly at lost of word.... Seriously....

So.. this is it what it feels when we lost a comrade....

edit: Ah, I knew it. Accumulation of infraction, as I've guessed. She should had known better after her one last infraction.... Sigh....

Ah well. Anyway good bye Rutee. Since you're not going to be around here anymore and I'm not those lucky persons who known you personally...

I'm more an NPC in the grand scheme of things here anyway.... I'll still follow the SRW RPG though.

Kojiro Kakita
2008-06-09, 12:46 PM
Just came back from a slight hiatus.

Can someone tell me why Rutee is banned?

Anyone getting back on topic:
Good news for the Clannad lovers. Episode 24 will be a slight dedication to Tomoyo after.

Rogue 7
2008-06-09, 12:58 PM
I thought the show was finished?

When did Rutee get hit with the banhammer? I only missed a few days here. Shame, that is.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-09, 01:30 PM
Just came back from a slight hiatus.

Can someone tell me why Rutee is banned?

Anyone getting back on topic:
Good news for the Clannad lovers. Episode 24 will be a slight dedication to Tomoyo after.Two posts above yours. Two. You can't possibly have missed my (very short) explanation, can you have?

Tengu
2008-06-09, 01:51 PM
Rutee might be banned, but her memory still lives on! I will continue to post, and even if my posts will get me banned, as long as they leave a mark, it is my victory! Who the hell do you think I am?! I am Tengu, the avatarist!!

Terraoblivion
2008-06-09, 01:54 PM
She got banned yesterday, Rogue, to the great surprise of no one. That it was expected does not make it any less sad, the boards will not be the same without her. I still talk to her so it is not like i lost her, but i did lose her presence on these boards. Not going to risk getting in trouble or causing trouble by putting the banner up.

And to get back on topic. From the sounds of this School Rumble might be worth looking at. So busy. So many things i need to watch and do and play.

EDIT: And Tengu, you make an awesome Simon. More awesome than Simon himself actually XD

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-09, 02:58 PM
I can't put that in my sig because I can't change my mind about someone just because they're gone. Sorry Tengu, it appears I don't have a heart.

Spoilered for pointlessness and bad taste:
I'm pretty sure we're not allowed to talk about banned people, otherwise I would have asked about what happened to Rex Idiotarum. However this had a plus side in that I was able to make up my own far more interesting versions of why such people got banned. Such as trying to ressurect another banned poster by sacrifising 50 virgins or going on a pogo-stick drive by killing spree and then taking four moderators in order to take him down.

Okay, that may just make up for having my previous single infraction apparently disapearing (or maybe the boards changed so that it wasn't displayed to me under my avatar).

School Rumble is worth watching, though some people I know find it too embarrasing. Since few people here seem to have watched Dennou Coil, which from my opinion was arguably the best show of its season, I would say that you should watch that before watching School Rumble.

Also: thou shall watcheth Kamichuu.

Is there an official list of SOS dan members in the playground? If there is, I didn't intend to be on it, I just put Koizumi in my sig because I thought he'd be lonely.

Further musings on Sheryl's holographic sluttyness: Some of the costumes on the concert where she has the body suit and the concert where she changes behind screen look like the same costume. Maybe she ordered them from the tailors for her first concert but they hadn't been finished by the time she had to go on stage so she was forced to settle for holographic mock-ups. By the time of her fairwell concert the costumes had been finished.

Ah, No Prizes can be fun.

You're not an NPC Fri, the NPCs are the bots who post about cheap sneakers. Eveyone else is a PC. Even people who think making verses thread or a Varsuvius Gender Debate thread and then never post again.

Man, I'm never going to drink suspiciously corked Champagne the night before a Greek Tradgedy exam again.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-10, 12:52 AM
So, I started watching Haruhi Suzumiya on actual, factual DVD today. Turns out the official subs are pretty different from the fansubs that I saw at first, while the dub is closer to the text of those. This is making me appreciate the dub more; even if it does lack the awesometasticness of the Japanese acting, it's still pretty good. But I prefer the fansubs out of all three...gah, I'm conflicted. I feel like I'm coming down on the wrong side of the sub vs. dub cold war, too.

Mirrinus
2008-06-10, 01:05 AM
I like to take sub vs. dub on a case-by-case basis, instead of issuing just a generalized statement, knowing full well that exceptions can occur on either side. And yeah, the Haruhi Suzumiya dub is palpable, even if I do prefer the Japanese voices. I just refuse to watch episode 12 dubbed, though...but other than that, I'm willing. But there are certainly some excellent dub jobs, even if they tend to be scarcer.

Conversely, there are some horribly subbed series out there as well.

Drascin
2008-06-10, 01:13 AM
Indeed. There are good dubs around, they're not a myth, they're just... rather more rare than we'd wish. Which is why I say I generally prefer the subs, but I've got no trouble with dubbed series as long as it's good (examples: FMA spanish dub - good :smallsmile:. Slayers spanish dub - ear-burning and horribly mismatched with the actual image :smallmad:).

I'll have to catch the English Lucky Star dub sometime, if only to see whether it's good or not, too, now that you remind me. The voices in the trailes seemed neat, at least.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-10, 01:18 AM
I just refuse to watch episode 12 dubbed, though...Well obviously. BASARA'S PROTIP: you do not dub songs!

hanzo66
2008-06-10, 01:36 AM
That is one point I agree with, and I'm a Dub Supporter for the most part.

Fri
2008-06-10, 03:46 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Faris/critszs-fuura.jpg
[kafuka fuura]Come on, ban only happened on tv or rumor, there's no way somebody so close to me got banned. Rutee is only on vacation, vacation![/kafuka fuura]

@closet_skeleton:You're probably right. I'm a grunt :smallbiggrin: (or a mook, if we considered ourself an evil organization. I want my zaku!)

and... why does someone consider School Rumble embarrassing? The overly complicated web of love :D?

Aanyway, believe it or not, I dreamt about Rutee last night (not that suprising actually). Well, in that dream, this board got new interface/engine, and all banned members status were lifted.

There's another dream after that, but mostly nonsensical (I watched a circus, and somewhere in the crowd I saw one of my friend, but with BLUE HAIR! And I thought, hey, isn't that Rutee?) My dreams are sometimes like that...

For members of the SOS-dan in the playground... no list as far as i know. But als as far as I know, there's no koizumi itp yet. There is koizumi in SOS-dan signature, but no koizumi itp

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-10, 04:52 AM
I can watch dubs. The FMA dub was okay apart from how they tried to make Envy a girl.

I saw a new Shakugan no Shana-tan yesturday. It almost made the second season worthwhile.

and... why does someone consider School Rumble embarrassing? The overly complicated web of love :D?

You know the beach episode where Eri-chan walks in on naked Haruma? It was that episode.

Aanyway, believe it or not, I dreamt about Rutee last night (not that suprising actually). Well, in that dream, this board got new interface/engine, and all banned members status were lifted.

There's another dream after that, but mostly nonsensical (I watched a circus, and somewhere in the crowd I saw one of my friend, but with BLUE HAIR! And I thought, hey, isn't that Rutee?) My dreams are sometimes like that...

I only had a nightmare about going to the site of the Cambridge Folk Festival when the festival wasn't on and then being late to my exam. Which just shows that you shouldn't talk about the Cambridge Folk Festival while drinking dodgy Champagne the night before and exam.

For members of the SOS-dan in the playground... no list as far as i know. But als as far as I know, there's no koizumi itp yet. There is koizumi in SOS-dan signature, but no koizumi itp

Sadly I'm in the bitter misanthrope mold and therefore would be better suited as Kyon itp. Which is just annoying because everyone wants to be Kyon itp and I want to go against the mold.

Lord of Rapture
2008-06-10, 08:13 AM
I just finished watching Fate Stay Night's last episode, and...

:smallfrown:Why? *sob, sob* Why did Saber have to go? Shiro and her were so sweet...

Her promise was fufilled. There's no reason to go back to die.

Excuse me, I'm off to go write Code Geass+Saber fanfic now. And to pray for a sequel which brings her back.

P.S. Where can I go to get SOS Brigade sigs?

Tengu
2008-06-10, 09:42 AM
Well...

The only way she could stay with Shirou is if she would drink from the Holy Grail, which would corrupt and drive her crazy as it did with Gilgamesh. What happened was the better way.

Still quite a bittersweet ending, though.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-10, 09:55 AM
Gorbash hosts all the SOS-dan banners, so you could look around on gorbashkazdar.com, or you could just Right-click -> Copy Image Location to steal the image out of one of our sigs.

Sadly I'm in the bitter misanthrope mold and therefore would be better suited as Kyon itp. Which is just annoying because everyone wants to be Kyon itp and I want to go against the mold.And if anyone's Kyon ITP, it's me. Just trust me on this one. I'm not going to fight over it (that'd be kind of counterintuitive, no?) but believe me, the only differences between me and him are nationality, age, and my being slightly more excitable. And I have a marginally more normal and more acknowledged girlfriend.

Hmm...how about Genderbended-Sasaki in the Playground as an alternative? It's definitely unusual, although I guess she's more bored and quasinihilist than bitter and misanthropic.

Fri
2008-06-10, 10:16 AM
But you HAD to fight for it. It's more interesting for us that way.

anyway, what do you guys think about this list of new anime? And anyone know the source? Most of them seems great.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Faris/1212589363516.jpg?t=1213110749

Tengu
2008-06-10, 10:43 AM
Oh my god, Blade of the Immortal, and it will be made by Bee Train! Quality incoming.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-10, 11:06 AM
Gorbash hosts all the SOS-dan banners, so you could look around on gorbashkazdar.com, or you could just Right-click -> Copy Image Location to steal the image out of one of our sigs.

And if anyone's Kyon ITP, it's me. Just trust me on this one. I'm not going to fight over it (that'd be kind of counterintuitive, no?) but believe me, the only differences between me and him are nationality, age, and my being slightly more excitable. And I have a marginally more normal and more acknowledged girlfriend.

I'm only Kyon in the playground as much as any snarky tired geek is Kyon and I'm happy not to compete for the title. I also lack a girlfriend, normal or not and all my female acquaintances are taken and I'm unlikely to see most of them again once I leave school.

Hmm...how about Genderbended-Sasaki in the Playground as an alternative? It's definitely unusual, although I guess she's more bored and quasinihilist than bitter and misanthropic.

Sasaki? I'm not getting your reference. I'm often bored but I'm not nihilistic.

Oh my god, Blade of the Immortal, and it will be made by Bee Train! Quality incoming.

While Bee Train make quality shows give well selected music, good character designs and over all style I have mild hate for everything they have ever produced. I'm moderately interested in Blade of Immortal but Bee Train wouldn't be my prerered studio to pull it off.

None of those shows immediately grabs me to be honest. Definately a case of "wait and see".

I'm also incredibly surprised to see a second season of Things Important to a mage. A second season of Code-E seems odd since the original series was so disapointing.

bluish_wolf
2008-06-10, 11:24 AM
Well...

The only way she could stay with Shirou is if she would drink from the Holy Grail, which would corrupt and drive her crazy as it did with Gilgamesh. What happened was the better way.

Still quite a bittersweet ending, though.

It would also have been possible if she got an alternate supply of manna, other than the Holy Grail. Like they did in the Unlimited Blade Works good end.

anyway, what do you guys think about this list of new anime? And anyone know the source? Most of them seems great.

It seems like this http://moetron.com/newfiles/20080526_summer.jpg with text and fake series added. So, moetron.

Frosty
2008-06-10, 11:42 AM
Wait Rutee got banned? :smalleek: Well this sucks. Does anyone know what infraction was the last straw that broke the camel's back? Is it a perma-ban?

Player_Zero
2008-06-10, 12:49 PM
So, guys an' dolls, I gots me a question.

If I'm trying to depress myself then which of the follow should I watch and/or in what order:

Serial Experiments Lain
5 Centimeters Per Second
Now and Then, Here and There
Fullmetal Alchemist the Conqueror of Shamballa
Saikano
Wolf's Rain
Last Exile

Bearing in mind that I thought that Elfen Lied wasn't depressing, but rather it was merely horrific. Oh, and I found Grave Of the Fireflies much the same... I'm looking for sad, depressing and touching, not horrid, gruesome and scarring.

Also, any other recommendations? :smallsmile:

kamikasei
2008-06-10, 01:19 PM
ZOMG guys they are making teh EVA movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRB2woVxcQ4)!!!1

Yes, I know it's a fake. It still looks pretty good.

Fri
2008-06-10, 01:34 PM
Watch Bokurano. It's a mech show, but damn depressing. No, seriously, it's really depressing.

The anime is less depressing than the original manga, but that's not really helping. The director said that he hated the manga, and wanted to make it less depressing. Dunno, the author seems to be a misantrophic and really hate the world and humankind or something.

His previous work, Narutaru, is also misantrophic and depressing, though I never read/watch that.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-10, 01:49 PM
Serial Experiments Lain

Haven't seen it all but it's more of a confusing mind f' than a depressing show from what I know.

5 Centimeters Per Second

Never had an opportunity to see it.

Now and Then, Here and There

Haven't had a chance to see it.

Fullmetal Alchemist the Conqueror of Shamballa

Not really depressing at all.

Saikano

Can be depressing but I just found it sad. If you want a show that plays with your emotions 100% of the time then this is pretty close to it.

Wolf's Rain

Too drawn out to be depressing. It gets hard hitting with mass character deaths at the end but isn't really depressing.

Last Exile

Not watched much of it but it's hardly unrelenting misery even if it has dark moments.

Bearing in mind that I thought that Elfen Lied wasn't depressing, but rather it was merely horrific. Oh, and I found Grave Of the Fireflies much the same... I'm looking for sad, depressing and touching, not horrid, gruesome and scarring.

I didn't find Elfen Lied depressing either, just sad. I don't honestly think it's supposed to be depressing. I can't remember if Grave of the Fireflies was depressing or not but I did cry.

I have watched the Naru Taru anime and while it is misanthropic it isn't that depressing. It's more scary than depressing. I watched episode 1 of Bokurano but couldn't be bothered to summon the interest to watch any more.

Attilargh
2008-06-10, 02:03 PM
ZOMG guys they are making teh EVA movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRB2woVxcQ4)!!!1
And just in case people don't know, they really are (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_Genesis_Evangelion_%28live-action_movie%29). Or were. Anyway. Wikipedia says so, it must be true.

Also, gots to finish a couple of series and watch Eva 1.01.

Rogue 7
2008-06-10, 02:48 PM

Only one of those I'd be interested in are the Negima OVAs. Given what I've heard of the anime adaptations, they're nothing like the manga (of which I am a huge fan, I must say), so hopefully these will stick closer to the more general themes there.

tyckspoon
2008-06-10, 11:49 PM
5 Centimeters Per Second

Not so much depressing as.. frustrating, in my experience. It just doesn't go anywhere, so it doesn't really have the emotional kick to be properly sad or depressing. Also, the second short is a giant acid trip.

Tengu
2008-06-11, 09:22 AM
Wikipedia says so, it must be true.

Remember, everyone - Wikipedia is your friend. And just like any friend, it sometimes lies to you for one reason or another, is wrong and doesn't realizes it or simply makes crap on the spot.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-11, 10:34 AM
Remember, everyone - Wikipedia is your friend. And just like any friend, it sometimes lies to you for one reason or another, is wrong and doesn't realizes it or simply makes crap on the spot.

That would be a really good excuse for why I have no friends if I didn't spend so much time on Wikipedia.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-11, 11:33 AM
Remember, everyone - Wikipedia is your friend. And just like any friend, it sometimes lies to you for one reason or another, is wrong and doesn't realizes it or simply makes crap on the spot.Or lies through its teeth and steals your wallet while you aren't looking.

Also, the NGE movie is real in that it's been planned, it's just been in Development Hell for six years. I don't think they even have an accepted treatment, let alone a screenplay. Definitely no director.

EDIT: reading the article, they allegedly do have a starting screenplay. Still no director, which tends to be where these things hang up. Then there's ADV's financial issues (which are, incidentally, why I've started buying DVDs as a first resort rather than "previewing" with fansubs or rips like I did when I was poorer - I want to support my localizers.)

Tengu
2008-06-11, 12:47 PM
I personally cannot imagine live-action Eva without it turning into a grotesque parody or a cosplay photo session (which would also be grotesque). Although it is the same with most anime series for me.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-11, 02:04 PM
I never liked Eva much, so I think it would be funnier if it was a complete failure.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-11, 03:09 PM
I think it has a better chance of working live-action than most cartoons. See: the apparently pretty good Death Note live-action movie, only this would have more explosions.

I'd certainly give it better odds than the live-action Avatar film, which still sounds like a terrible joke. Say...M. Night Shyamalan actually wouldn't be a terrible choice for an Eva movie director, relatively speaking.

Also, Tengu's new avatar is suspiciously awesome and non-disturbing, although it's small and innocuous enough I'm afraid I'm missing an important detail. And speaking of off-topic subjects, I'm apparently a Firbolg.

EDIT: Aha, that's it! He's ^^ ing. Certainly unnatural.

kamikasei
2008-06-11, 03:27 PM
I'd certainly give it better odds than the live-action Avatar film, which still sounds like a terrible joke. Say...M. Night Shyamalan actually wouldn't be a terrible choice for an Eva movie director, relatively speaking.

Where is there news of this live-action Avatar movie, never mind who it's directed by?

Tengu
2008-06-11, 03:36 PM
Where is there news of this live-action Avatar movie, never mind who it's directed by?

I am the wikipedia article that smites evil! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_the_last_airbender#Feature_film_adaptation)

With a smile.

kamikasei
2008-06-11, 03:41 PM
I am the wikipedia article that smites evil! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_the_last_airbender#Feature_film_adaptation)

With a smile.

*forehead*

I was looking at that very article earlier in an attempt to track down this claim, and somehow overlooked that section.

This seems horrible.

bluish_wolf
2008-06-11, 03:49 PM

I don't even follow Avatar, and I'm annoyed. Is it too much to ask for a stateside 2D animated movie that will be shown in theaters? Is it!?

DeathQuaker
2008-06-11, 09:36 PM
Also: thou shall watcheth Kamichuu.

I dig through the posts and see this, and I say: Quoted for Truth, comrade.

I really hate anime about cute, shy teenage girls who have bizarre powers and can't admit their crush on the boy they like. I really, honestly do. There's a lot of them out there, and I hate them all. Except...

I fell head over heels in love with Kamichu!, despite the fact that on the surface, that's exactly what it is. Because it is also so much more.

And it's written by Hideyuki Kurata, who is awesome.

Also, lovely soundtrack.

tyckspoon
2008-06-11, 10:10 PM
I don't even follow Avatar, and I'm annoyed. Is it too much to ask for a stateside 2D animated movie that will be shown in theaters? Is it!?

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you mean, but the Cowboy Bebop movie did show in the US (although mostly in smaller independent/art theatres.) Unfortunately they felt the need to change the name, so it was aired as Cowboy Bebop: The Movie. There was nothing at all wrong with the original subtitle.

bluish_wolf
2008-06-11, 10:19 PM
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you mean, but the Cowboy Bebop movie did show in the US (although mostly in smaller independent/art theatres.) Unfortunately they felt the need to change the name, so it was aired as Cowboy Bebop: The Movie. There was nothing at all wrong with the original subtitle.

Copyright, most likely. It's a famous song, after all, and I don't think it's in public domain yet.

I more annoyed that there's no market for 2D stuff where I live and have to get everything from Japan. The fact that everything airing in the movie theater is 3D* is proof of that. Not that there is anything wrong with Japan, mind you, but it would be nice if there were some around here, too.

*Live action is considered 3D.

Lord of Rapture
2008-06-11, 11:22 PM
It would also have been possible if she got an alternate supply of mana, other than the Holy Grail. Like they did in the Unlimited Blade Works good end.

Dammit, I demand a sequel!:smallmad:

What makes Shiro think that destroying the Holy Grail this time can end the Holy Grail Wars? Didn't his father do that last time, and it still came back?:smallconfused:

Because I sure hope it doesn't.

*ducks thrown objects from nowhere*

bluish_wolf
2008-06-12, 12:50 AM
Dammit, I demand a sequel!:smallmad:

What makes Shiro think that destroying the Holy Grail this time can end the Holy Grail Wars? Didn't his father do that last time, and it still came back?:smallconfused:

Because I sure hope it doesn't.

*ducks thrown objects from nowhere*

If I remember correctly, this is how the previous Heaven's Feel ended:
1) Emiya commanded Saber to destroy the Grail.
2) Kotomine used the Holy Grail and wished for a diversion.
3) Firey death ensued and the Grail went away.

So the Grail wasn't really destroyed, per say.

Of course, Shiro didn't know this, so the short answer is: He's an idiot.

Kojiro Kakita
2008-06-12, 02:22 AM
Hmm, I thought the sequal to Fate/Stay Night was Fate Anatharaxia or however it is spelled.

Xilehxt
2008-06-12, 02:28 AM
That's sort of a bonus game, following the Heaven's Feel Good Ending.

Artemician
2008-06-13, 06:37 AM
So I:m posting this from the banged up computer in a foreign hotel lobby and WHAT-

Rutee Banned.

Oh my. First Reel, then her. Life is going to be... boring now.

Of course, Shiro didn't know this, so the short answer is: He's an idiot.

How long did it take you to find that out? :smallwink:

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-13, 03:22 PM
I just saw the last episode of Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei :frown:

I'm going to cry now.

Yes, Emiya Shirou is a chauvanistic prat. But eroge protagonists have to bring in the YouSuck in large helpings.

bluish_wolf
2008-06-13, 04:09 PM
I just saw the last episode of Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei :frown:

I'm going to cry now.

Yes, Emiya Shirou is a chauvanistic prat. But eroge protagonists have to bring in the YouSuck in large helpings.

But most eroge protagonists don't tell the heroine to fate/stay in the kitchen while he goes off to face certain death for no reason other than to make up for the fact that he happened have his life saved as a kid.

Dragoon
2008-06-13, 11:18 PM
I agree about the Shiro moment, one of my few complaints about the series.

Oh yeah, watched all but one of the Cowboy Bebop episodes. I missed the mushroom one, don't know how I pulled it off. :smallconfused:

The fact that Spike stole Julia from Vicious should have been something I should have noticed earlier, especially with the whole amv hell scene with the song "Scotty doesn't know." Man I feel stupid.

I also had to laugh where they say let's end this and they promptly waited a few seconds before moving.

Also, just curious, what makes a good voice actor in Japanese good?

Time to go work on translating a few manga I got from a friend.

bluish_wolf
2008-06-14, 12:47 AM
Also, just curious, what makes a good voice actor in Japanese good?

The same things that make any actor good. With the exception of stage presence, obviously that doesn't apply.

Tengu
2008-06-14, 12:37 PM
People who said that Lucky Star is on more crack than Azumanga Daioh are big, fat liars.

Attilargh
2008-06-14, 12:40 PM
I just got the first Hellsing Ultimate DVD, and noticed a couple of things:

First, the subtitles are absolutely horrid. They're yellow, the font is ugly, and I don't know if it's software problems or what, but they scale really badly as well. As in, they don't. And I hear they still write it "Arucard".

Second, the dubs save everything. And in case you don't know, I'm a nearly rabid anti-dub person, so that ought to be saying something. Okay, so Jouji Nakata is still the voice of Alucard for me, but Freeman does the job and he does it really, really well. It was a bit of a learning experience to get used to a new voice, but by the time Alucard and Anderson started kicking ass it had become natural. And there's not a single American accent within earshot, which is always a plus. I find it so distracting when someone in an anime starts talking Americanese. Instead, most of the main cast talks with a deliciously sexy British accent, and it sounds good.

The Major's German accent's kinda amusing, though.

Terraoblivion
2008-06-14, 03:59 PM
I have to agree, Tengu. Azumanga just tends to move at a much higher pace with rather crazier characters than Lucky Star. Motteke! Sailor Fuku is crazier than Soramimi Cake though, which might be what causes people to think that Lucky Star is on more crack than Azumanga.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-14, 04:21 PM
People who said that Lucky Star is on more crack than Azumanga Daioh are big, fat liars.

I wouldn't know. I watched Azumanga Daioh and decided I needed no other drug ever.

I've never seen any Lucky Star and to be honest couldn't be bothered. It doesn't sound very interesting

As a distraction, here's a amateurish but cute AMV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaUURmC3rHw

hanzo66
2008-06-14, 07:35 PM
I just got the first Hellsing Ultimate DVD, and noticed a couple of things:

First, the subtitles are absolutely horrid. They're yellow, the font is ugly, and I don't know if it's software problems or what, but they scale really badly as well. As in, they don't. And I hear they still write it "Arucard".

Second, the dubs save everything. And in case you don't know, I'm a nearly rabid anti-dub person, so that ought to be saying something. Okay, so Jouji Nakata is still the voice of Alucard for me, but Freeman does the job and he does it really, really well. It was a bit of a learning experience to get used to a new voice, but by the time Alucard and Anderson started kicking ass it had become natural. And there's not a single American accent within earshot, which is always a plus. I find it so distracting when someone in an anime starts talking Americanese. Instead, most of the main cast talks with a deliciously sexy British accent, and it sounds good.

The Major's German accent's kinda amusing, though.
I was sure Freeman did Alucard with an American accent.

Still, it's generally a good dub nonetheless.

Mirrinus
2008-06-14, 07:40 PM
Finally made a new signature...

Making this one made me realize just how few anime ninja there are that aren't highly visible ninja (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HighlyVisibleNinja). It's really pathetic...

bluish_wolf
2008-06-14, 11:12 PM
Oyashiro-sama is black? Poor Hanyuu. She needs to get a better PR agent.

Mirrinus
2008-06-14, 11:24 PM
Because a little girl who cries "Au au au" and is afraid of spicy food doesn't make for a very scary creature. Sometimes the myth is just so much more effective, lol.

Attilargh
2008-06-15, 01:39 AM
I was sure Freeman did Alucard with an American accent.
...Erm. He's an ancient vampire, he doesn't count? :smallredface:

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-15, 04:55 AM
Because a little girl who cries "Au au au" and is afraid of spicy food doesn't make for a very scary creature. Sometimes the myth is just so much more effective, lol.

If the myth is more effective, you could've used the statue in the shrine rather than the little girl with horns.

...Erm. He's an ancient vampire, he doesn't count? :smallredface:

An ancient vampire born in 1431, 61 years before Columbus' voyage, who never went to America. He should have a stupid cliche Slavic accent but I don't know how you'd express that in Japanese and it would be really corny in the dub.

hanzo66
2008-06-15, 05:50 AM
Plus Freeman could already pull of Dark and Badass naturally...

Mirrinus
2008-06-15, 03:07 PM
If the myth is more effective, you could've used the statue in the shrine rather than the little girl with horns.

But killer rabbits (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KillerRabbit) are funny! Or would this be a case of Deathbringer the Adorable (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeathbringerTheAdorable)?

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-06-15, 03:22 PM
Gurren Lagann fans. Other people. Watch this. Now.

Flash Site (http://www.gurren-lagann-movie.net/gurrepala/interview/flash.html)
YouTube (lower quality) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdZH3mT82vU)
RapidShare .swf (http://rapidshare.com/files/122664277/Gurren_Lagann_Music_Clip_1.swf)
RapidShare .wmv (http://rapidshare.com/files/122692822/_IZ__Gurren_Lagann_Parallel_Works_-_Rap_is_a_Man_s_Soul___Dai-Gurren-Dan_Theme_.wmv.html)

Mirrinus
2008-06-15, 03:53 PM
Hmm...I think I like it better with the whole medieval fantasy theme going on. Would watch.

kamikasei
2008-06-15, 04:06 PM

man what

(I hate Flash players that give you no feedback on how far it's buffered.)

hanzo66
2008-06-15, 04:06 PM
Well, isn't that cute?

Xilehxt
2008-06-15, 04:07 PM
Totally awesome. Gainax better deliver and drag on Gurren Lagann for at least 10 year like they did with Eva...

Was it just me or did anyone else expect an explosion after Simon ran through the final boss?

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-06-15, 04:25 PM
To add some information to the above... Gainax is releasing 8 flash animations set to music to promote the Gurren Lagann movie. They're part of the Gurren Lagann Parallel Works thing Gainax is doing. Sort of like the Animatrix, but all set to music. The above is the first, just released today.

I can't wait for the rest.

Terraoblivion
2008-06-15, 05:29 PM
While i am not too fond of Gurren Lagann, i have to say that the above movie was completely and utterly awesome. And i think i agree with Mirrinus that it is actually nicer with the fantasy theme than the original one.

Tengu
2008-06-15, 07:33 PM
Damn, that was cool! Any ideas what will the actual movie actually be about?

bluish_wolf
2008-06-15, 09:20 PM
Damn, that was cool! Any ideas what will the actual movie actually be about?

"The film will re-edit the first part of the television series story with some newly animated scenes. Shoko Nakagawa will return to perform a new theme song."

Nothing special, really. Also has nothing to do with the aforementioned videos.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-15, 10:28 PM

Flash Site (http://www.gurren-lagann-movie.net/gurrepala/interview/flash.html)
YouTube (lower quality) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdZH3mT82vU)
RapidShare .swf (http://rapidshare.com/files/122664277/Gurren_Lagann_Music_Clip_1.swf)
RapidShare .wmv (http://rapidshare.com/files/122692822/_IZ__Gurren_Lagann_Parallel_Works_-_Rap_is_a_Man_s_Soul___Dai-Gurren-Dan_Theme_.wmv.html)Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

And yeah, Gurren-Lagann the movie is just going to be Gurren-Lagann: Death & Rebirth. I'm looking forward to these shorts a lot now, though.

Also, I just finished watching Azumanga Daioh, so as I was saying...

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

That show is made of win and love. That's all.

Terraoblivion
2008-06-15, 10:44 PM
Azumanga is like the square root of win multiplied with cute and with crazy added on top. So in short it is pure awesome. I love pretty much all of the girls, though i have a special fondness for the underappreciated ones. I am not sure why, but Yomi and Kagura are my favorites despite how most of the jokes are a consequence of Tomo, Osaka or Yukari's actions.

Artemician
2008-06-16, 09:19 AM
Azumanga is like the square root of win multiplied with cute and with crazy added on top. So in short it is pure awesome. I love pretty much all of the girls, though i have a special fondness for the underappreciated ones. I am not sure why, but Yomi and Kagura are my favorites despite how most of the jokes are a consequence of Tomo, Osaka or Yukari's actions.

I still don't get it... I never liked Azumanga Daioh. I tried it for all of one episode and found it completely uninteresting. All these praise that you heap on it, I honestly cannot connect with the show that I watched. Maybe I'm just wierd.

kamikasei
2008-06-16, 11:15 AM
Maybe I'm just wierd.

Maybe you're just normal.

...no, I'm sorry, that was uncalled for.

Also, Lucky*Formers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-zFBj0QwQo)!

Cubey
2008-06-16, 12:45 PM
But, but... it mixes up Decepticons from the first two and the third season. It even has Megatron and Galvatron in one scene!

But still, made of win! And I always knew Shockwave was so very moe.

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-06-16, 01:00 PM
But, but... it mixes up Decepticons from the first two and the third season. It even has Megatron and Galvatron in one scene!
Now that's how you take geekiness to a whole new level :smallwink:

Tengu
2008-06-16, 01:49 PM
Shockwave was always Cubey's favorite decepticon.

I still don't get it... I never liked Azumanga Daioh. I tried it for all of one episode and found it completely uninteresting. All these praise that you heap on it, I honestly cannot connect with the show that I watched. Maybe I'm just wierd.

My advice? Never give up on a show after seeing just one episode. Especially in the case of anime, which usually has a slow start. Always give it at least 4.

Terraoblivion
2008-06-16, 02:18 PM
Not only that, the first episode of Azumanga is chaotic and poorly structured compared to the rest of the show. There are still a few good jokes in it, mind you, but it is quite inferior to all the other episodes. At least that is the general opinion and one i agree with.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-16, 02:19 PM
My advice? Never give up on a show after seeing just one episode. Especially in the case of anime, which usually has a slow start. Always give it at least 4.

Unless you deliberately want to be bigoted for any of a multitude of personal reasons.

Everybody could probably make up a list of shows that aren't worth watching past the first episode and it would include a lot of shows that they watched 100% of and also a lot of shows with absolutely brilliant first episodes.

Today I was watching an Italian film (with subtitles worse than most fansubs) and someone actually used the word 'baccano' in a sentance. In the right context. It was a most disorientating experiance.

bluish_wolf
2008-06-16, 02:43 PM
Unless you deliberately want to be bigoted for any of a multitude of personal reasons.

Everybody could probably make up a list of shows that aren't worth watching past the first episode and it would include a lot of shows that they watched 100% of and also a lot of shows with absolutely brilliant first episodes.

Today I was watching an Italian film (with subtitles worse than most fansubs) and someone actually used the word 'baccano' in a sentance. In the right context. It was a most disorientating experiance.

Baccano is Italian for noise/clamor/bedlam, right? It seems appropriate enough for a show about a train jacking. Although, I guess a show titled "Noise!" is a bit weird.

And now for something completely different. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwtulLgg5Ws)

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-16, 02:54 PM
Not only that, the first episode of Azumanga is chaotic and poorly structured compared to the rest of the show. There are still a few good jokes in it, mind you, but it is quite inferior to all the other episodes. At least that is the general opinion and one i agree with.Yeah, looking back, the first episode (while I found it awesomely cracky) lacks the (mostly) cohesive story of other episodes, since it has to skip around and introduce all the characters. And throws in some non sequitur (and not as hilariously surreal as other episodes) bits like Chiyo's cooking song. And the show's quality comes from getting to know the characters and watch them develop just as much as the jokes. You can't really judge a character-based show after one episode.

One thing that bugged me about Azumanga Daioh is that a few jokes were pretty much incomprehensible in the dub, i.e. the language-based gags that Yukari and Osaka pull. I tend to enjoy dubs, and this one was otherwise pretty good, so I ended up flipping back and forth when there was a joke I didn't get. Kind of an annoyance, but I guess I should've just watched the subs through.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-16, 02:56 PM
Baccano is Italian for noise/clamor/bedlam, right?

As far as I know, the seen in the film I watched (Bicycle Thieves) involved a guy being thrown out of a church for being noisy.

It seems appropriate enough for a show about a train jacking.

I would personally say that it seems appropriate enough for a show about Bonny and Clyde on acid on a train along with a gang of psychopathic thrill seekers and an unconnected gang of thieves led by a explosion crazy demolition expert.

bluish_wolf
2008-06-16, 03:05 PM
"However, just a couple of related notes: while the term is indeed part of italian vocabulary, you really don't see that often that word in common language, a lot of synonims are used instead. Also, "baccano" tends to have a negative acception since it usually implies a complaint for the noise (otherwise one would likely use another term).
Lastly, a little shade: "baccano" not only indicates a loud noise, per se, but implies that it is generated by a certain group of peoples, as in "speaking at loud voice", but also as in working noisily. Seeing the given situation of this anime I can figure in example some works at a railroad (you know, with that continous noise of beating irons), whereas the association with "baccano" would be the most suiting one"

That person had Italy listed as his location, so he probably knows what he is talking about.

Tengu
2008-06-16, 03:17 PM
Kind of an annoyance, but I guess I should've just watched the subs through.

You should have. Preferring dubs is like preferring to remove your aching tooth with a hammer instead of going to a dentist.

Unless we're talking Steamboy here. And maybe Disgaea.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-16, 03:32 PM
The North American release of Cowboy Bebop would like to have a word with you.

I also tend to like ADV dubs, not for their quality, but due to the incessant self-references they insert, but Azumanga Daioh isn't one of the shows where they do this.

bluish_wolf
2008-06-16, 03:41 PM
I don't see how incessant in-jokes are a good thing. Even CV jokes get tiresome after a while. Like this one: http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/4179/866d8094afe0b0f4d9124adct2.jpg

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-16, 05:10 PM
Look, if I can't laugh at people constantly ripping off Evangelion characters for no discernible reason, I'd have to cry. ADV casting lets me laugh.

bluish_wolf
2008-06-16, 10:41 PM
Cirno-sama demands you watch this MAD movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBi_24IlqAQ

Attilargh
2008-06-17, 02:02 AM
an unconnected gang of thieves led by a explosion crazy demolition expert.
Technically, Jacuzzi's the leader, Nice's just the Lancer.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-17, 02:50 AM
Cirno-sama demands you watch this MAD movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBi_24IlqAQI don't get it at all, but I do know that Cirno is awesome from previous experience.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-17, 03:47 AM
Seeing the given situation of this anime I can figure in example some works at a railroad (you know, with that continous noise of beating irons), whereas the association with "baccano" would be the most suiting one"

From my opinion, the train story wasn't actually the main one, since
the alchemist bad guy was already dead by that point.

That person had Italy listed as his location, so he probably knows what he is talking about.

I'm not going to argue with someone who speaks Italian but the Japanese guy who chose that name didn't neccesaraly know all the implications of the word he was using.

I don't see how incessant in-jokes are a good thing. Even CV jokes get tiresome after a while. Like this one:

I can only get Alphonse Elric, Shana, Louise and the Rich Brat from Hayate.

With research I can get Tio from Konjiki no Gash Bell and someone from Shinobuden.

Either that's bad fan art or I'm thankfully not that knowledgable.

Technically, Jacuzzi's the leader, Nice's just the Lancer.

Is that actually said anywhere? Nobody really gives orders that often, so the group may not actually have a clear leader. Nice is just the most assertive member of the group. If Jacuzzi was the leader, he'd probably not give many orders so I guess that would fit with what we get to see. They did like hiding anything that might make Jacuzzi seem awesome like being Nice's boyfriend, which only makes sense after the bonus episodes.

hanzo66
2008-06-17, 05:16 AM
The North American release of Cowboy Bebop would like to have a word with you.

I also tend to like ADV dubs, not for their quality, but due to the incessant self-references they insert, but Azumanga Daioh isn't one of the shows where they do this.
I can tolerate Dubs. Not so much a preference, but I do respect the business and the actors for doing a job that no one else really cares to do (Voice Acting as they say is usually considered acting for ugly people).

Also I know that there are certain dubs that most people consider better than the original. I remember a fair amount stating that Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun and Desert Punk are more fun dubbed (with the latter being made more profane).

Fri
2008-06-17, 05:22 AM
In my travels, where the wind blows, sometimes I found interesting documents from forgotten pasts or things like that.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4892/sralaws3zo2.jpg

Attilargh
2008-06-17, 05:39 AM
Is that actually said anywhere?
I recall it's said pretty straight in the OVAs. I'll check later today and get back to you.

Dispozition
2008-06-17, 05:39 AM
In my travels, where the wind blows, sometimes I found interesting documents from forgotten pasts or things like that.

*Awesome*

You have just made my day...It's as simple as that. I haven't seen anything quite as amusing since a thread in /u/ involving trigonometry >.>

Tengu
2008-06-17, 05:52 AM

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4892/sralaws3zo2.jpg

I approve of this list.
http://ffrpg.republika.pl/approve.PNG

hanzo66
2008-06-17, 07:24 AM
Can't remember if this was posted but here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuSwj5ok24k

Batman: Gotham Knight, essentially like the Animatrix, but with Batman.

Drascin
2008-06-17, 03:51 PM
Ahhh, home sweet home, at last. Man, two weeks without internet and I'm already almost showing withdrawal symptoms. I might be a tad more addicted than I thought at first :smalltongue:.

Anyway, I can't honestly reply to everything I'd want to, but three items I need to mention.

First, the TTGL short: Okay, that is about WIN squared, not least of all because having Simon, Kamina and Viral in the same team at once is about the top amount of hotblood allowed for a single squad. Also, the skit again shows that drill > sword every time :smalltongue:.

Second, that list Fri brought, because it's not only made of cool, but also completely true and prompted me to a "Hell yeah!" while reading it :smallamused:.

And third, the Kyouran/Touhou parody - that made me chuckle a lot, here. Flan and Remilia's little appearances only helped - I happen to love the Scarlet sisters to bits, so watching Flan blow **** up is always a nice sight for me :smallwink:.

Terraoblivion
2008-06-17, 03:59 PM
The list of super robot tropes is indeed great and even i could recognize it, despite hardly ever watching super robot shows. Also it was fun. Especially number 78 XD

Attilargh
2008-06-17, 04:21 PM
Okay, so I very quickly checked Baccano's episodes 14-16, and the only actual case of someone calling Jacuzzi the gang's boss is when Nicholas reports to the head honcho of Daily Days.