PDA

View Full Version : [4E] My First Character

Burley
2008-06-05, 02:06 PM
So, I haven't completely got it fleshed out, because I still haven't found the time to read ALL of the rules, but I know I'm gonna start up my 4e adventures as an Eladrin Warlock with the Star boon pact.
His concept is that he's a philosopher and astronomer, who spent so much time in solitude and silence, that he became attuned to the whispers of the universe. He took their words and they led him to master the secrets of the stars. I'm torn between naming him a with a derivitive of Nostrodamus or Socrates.

I haven't even gotten to the feats chapter yet. I'm at work, so, I only had a little time to look over the books. They look good. Simple, but beautiful in it's simplisity.

Anybody else have it figured out?

kc0bbq
2008-06-05, 02:43 PM
So, I haven't completely got it fleshed out, because I still haven't found the time to read ALL of the rules, but I know I'm gonna start up my 4e adventures as an Eladrin Warlock with the Star boon pact.
Star Pact locks draw on exposing their mind to the Far Realm. You're a cthulumancer like Rasputin in Hellboy. Keep in mind that without refluffing it, none of the pacts are particularly serene in nature.

Crow
2008-06-05, 05:16 PM
Nostrates eh?

Jarlax
2008-06-05, 06:36 PM
because i will probably be DMing from day one i rolled a PC so that i knew what the experience would be like.

thats something id like to comment on first. it took less time. even through i didn't have the books in front of me physically and i only had one sourcebook to draw from it still took less time than 3.5 i didnt really know what a fighter did before i started and needed to jump between the skills and feats chapters a lot when making my decision, but the powers were right there next to my class info, i used points buy and found the sample set of stats an extremely useful addition.

in the end i created a dragonborn fighter/warlord, a kind of secondary faceman with diplomacy and intimidate both trained (dragonborn get a + to intimidate). i went with high con and single handed hammers when it came to my powers and i saw at least one power i cant wait to get my hands on at later levels that builds on using hammers.

its the dragonborn fluff that really drew me to the race, the kind of society that breeds less "me swing sword at joo" fighters and more "it will be an honour to fight you this day" types. since i was building my PC from that concept i picked up a god Kord and even decided to run with a good alignment rather than picking unaligned and being done with it.

JaxGaret
2008-06-05, 07:42 PM
I'm gonna start up my 4e adventures as an Eladrin Warlock with the Star boon pact.

Cool beans.

His concept is that he's a philosopher and astronomer, who spent so much time in solitude and silence, that he became attuned to the whispers of the universe. He took their words and they led him to master the secrets of the stars.

That's pretty cool, run with it.

I'm torn between naming him a with a derivitive of Nostrodamus or Socrates.

Socradamus? :smallsmile:

I haven't even gotten to the feats chapter yet. I'm at work, so, I only had a little time to look over the books. They look good. Simple, but beautiful in it's simplisity.

Agreed, that's a good way to put it. Wait till you try actually playing it :smallbiggrin:

Anybody else have it figured out?

Since it's only available to Star Pact Warlocks, Improved Fate of the Void is a flavorful choice, and is a fairly strong pick to boot. You're going to be getting +1 or more to some roll in a lot of rounds, and the versatility of being able to select what type of roll to use it for is nice.

Toughness is good for any character. You can call it a feature of your character's stoic nature.

Burley
2008-06-06, 09:41 AM
My problem now is this: I know Nostromdomasocratesaphobia is gonne be an Intelligence based character, but I don't know whether to focus on his charisma or his constitution, since I have to pick one of those two to affect a lot of my damage and saving throws.
Neither makes sense, really. I mean, being a reclusive shut in I wouldn't really be charismatic at all. But, I also doubt that he spend any time making himself physically fit. I suppose constitution would be the lesser of the two nonsensical options, but I can't imagine how to fluff that. Helps?

Grey Watcher
2008-06-06, 10:00 AM
My problem now is this: I know Nostromdomasocratesaphobia is gonne be an Intelligence based character, but I don't know whether to focus on his charisma or his constitution, since I have to pick one of those two to affect a lot of my damage and saving throws.
Neither makes sense, really. I mean, being a reclusive shut in I wouldn't really be charismatic at all. But, I also doubt that he spend any time making himself physically fit. I suppose constitution would be the lesser of the two nonsensical options, but I can't imagine how to fluff that. Helps?

Well, I guess with a high Con score, he would indeed be a Burly Warlock....

Anyway, I guess you could fluff up a high Con as just being a hereditary fluke. Very little family history of illness and the like.

Human Paragon 3
2008-06-06, 10:01 AM
Either is fine, really. You could say your connection to the far realm makes you more than a man, embuing you with supernatural health despite your sheltered life. Alternatively, you can say that as you studdied the heavens you learned more about yourself, making you attuned with your own personal energies and forces, which is in part what Charisma represents. You don't have to be nice or even likable to have high CHA. You just have the certain special something that makes people look at you and go wow.