PDA

View Full Version : Simple 4E question

Bow2Gaijin
2008-06-05, 02:30 PM
I've been looking over the 4th edition players handbook, and I have a question about powers for the different classes. Do you get all the powers that are listed, or can you only pick so many, I can't seem to find where it tells you. An answer or a page number would be very helpful, thanks.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-05, 02:36 PM
No you don't get all the powers... you end up with 2 at will powers, 4 encounter powers, 4 daily powers and 7 daily powers from your base class and paragon path.

(not including any other class features, feats, racial powers, etc)

The table can be found just after the ability score generation part... in the character creation chapter (chapter 2 i think)

Burley
2008-06-05, 02:51 PM
Check page....19? 29? The table has the list. It looks like the iterative attack modifiers.
The amount of powers seems relatively small, in my opinion. Is there a way to get more, through feats? I've noticed that you get a gabazillion feats now, so, I'd spare a few for extra powers.

Indon
2008-06-05, 03:11 PM
(not including any other class features, feats, racial powers, etc)

The only such option I've seen that actually gives you a power, rather than just letting you swap a power, is the human racial. The entry-level multiclassing feats give you a class feature to use as if it were a per-encounter power, though.

kc0bbq
2008-06-05, 03:26 PM
The only such option I've seen that actually gives you a power, rather than just letting you swap a power, is the human racial. The entry-level multiclassing feats give you a class feature to use as if it were a per-encounter power, though.There are feats that give clerics an additional Channel Divinity power to choose from, Eternal Seeker's level 26 epic destiny feature lets you take an additional utility power from any class, there are a few around. It's not spectacularly common, though. Swapping is far more common.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-05, 03:30 PM
The only such option I've seen that actually gives you a power, rather than just letting you swap a power, is the human racial. The entry-level multiclassing feats give you a class feature to use as if it were a per-encounter power, though.

Dragonborn Breath Weapon, Halfing Second Chance, Half-Elf Dilettante, Eladrin Teleport, Elf Accuracy, Tiefling have one too...

All of those are an encounter power.

Clerics get two channel divinity powers and can take feats for more. Paladins get them too.

Also, Lay on hands, inspiring word, healing word... minor action powers.

Yakk
2008-06-05, 05:12 PM
Generally, at each "level" where you can gain powers, you gain an extra power.

If you already have 4 powers of the "per encounter attack" class powers or "per day attack" class power categories, you have to swap out a power to get the new one. This includes your Paragon Path powers on the 4 power of a type cap.

Utility powers simply keep accumulating. Special powers, like channel divinity, don't work like this. Class features don't work like this. Racial powers don't work like this.