PDA

View Full Version : Spreading the faith

Alleine
2008-06-05, 09:11 PM
I'm currently playing a Cleric of Pelor in my current campaign, and a friend recently mentioned he was doing the same for his game. As he was describing the totally awesome things his character has done, I figured that my cleric ought to do some of the same. Namely, bringing Pelor to the poor denizens of a town with only one church and too many religions in it.

Being the wealthy adventurer I am I'm pretty certain that I'll be able to pay for the construction of a new church dedicated to Pelor, and convert many townspeople with acts of healing and goodness.
The question I haven't answered though, is how much would it cost to fund the construction? I checked the DMG, Complete Divine, and Defenders of the Faith. None of them gave me much of an idea, or I'm just too blind to find where it might be listed. Can anyone help me on this? Direct me towards the proper source book or a homebrew solution?

Chronos
2008-06-05, 09:14 PM
I imagine that you could find the info in the Stronghold Builder's Guide. If, of course, you don't just do it all with Walls of Stone, Fabricate, and a Lyre of Building (you might need help from party members for the last two).

Alleine
2008-06-05, 09:19 PM
We are a tad low of level for that. I probably should have said so...
We're only 4th level, and I have very little use for my money since I'm primarily a healbot.

Rama_Lei
2008-06-05, 09:21 PM
I'd discuss it with your DM, and work out an agreement. If your DM is worth their salt, they'll be willing to compromise, as you're building a well-rounded believable character.

Alleine
2008-06-05, 09:26 PM
I don't think my DM would be opposed to the idea, the problem is I doubt he has any idea of how much a church costs. We don't exactly do this sort of thing very often... or at all...

Randel
2008-06-05, 11:32 PM
this might help a little (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm#buyingBuildings)

Alleine
2008-06-05, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I saw that table.... The only problem is I would guess that puts the cost between 5,000 and 100,000...
It does narrow it down helpfully

Stronghold builders guide puts a fancy chapel at about 25,000. I like it, but a chapel isn't a church, it is also part of the stronghold...

How reasonable do you think my character persuading people to donate time(after a miraculous healing) to help build the church would be?
Yeesh, I really need a way to talk to my DM between sessions...

Euphemism
2008-06-05, 11:43 PM
"Timmy's healed! Whatever can we do to repay you?"
"I'm building a church. I would happily accept any assistance you are able to give."

Leave it at that. =)

Alleine
2008-06-05, 11:48 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, this help A LOT.

I wonder if I'll get any rewards for this sort of thing.... hmmmm....

Randel
2008-06-06, 12:42 AM
I think I recall in the stronghold builders book that wooden walls are basically free. So if you really want, you could start in a town, find an existing building and use it as a temporary church. Maybe an old house or other large place, some uses of Make Whole and mending could patch up a place. Then when healing the people collect some money, goods, or promises to help out with building the proper church. Like a barn-raising but with a church.

As for rewards, it could give you a nice focus point for adventures and a place where the people know you. Perhaps a constant hallow effect (or whatever it is that repels undead) on the church for free. Then if there is a zombie invasion, famine, plague or other event then the folks know where to go for help.

Or it could be that when you are inside the church proper, you can spontaneously ask your deity for a spell to heal someone. Sort of like people come to you and ask for help and you spontaneously cast one healing spell to help them... but it only works when someone approaches you inside the church. So you can't heal team mates with those spells and don't have to burn your adventuring spells on healing townsfolk. Any proceeds from these healing spells goes to maintaining the church.

Alleine
2008-06-07, 02:28 PM
I just remembered something.
The other church in the town was having a grand re-opening the day we all came into town... and I can imagine my DM having all of the NPC's asking me why they ought to build a new one when they just got a new one X number of weeks ago.
The reasons I'm thinking of don't seem all that great:
"Because Pelor is better and wants his own church"
"Which deity's cleric healed you? Oh, right, Pelor. Don't you want to show your newfound devotion?"

Its not like Pelor will smite them for not building a new church...
So how might I dodge this particular bullet?
Thanks in advance :smallbiggrin:

Newtkeeper
2008-06-07, 02:42 PM
Its not like Pelor will smite them for not building a new church...
So how might I dodge this particular bullet?
Thanks in advance :smallbiggrin:

Because having two deities liking you is better than having one? I mean, even in Monotheistic Europe, many cities have multiple churches- even cathedrals- even within the same branch of christianity.

Alleine
2008-06-07, 03:01 PM
Gah,I wish I had the entire stats for the town at my disposal. I don't think its a city at all, so I'm still not sure if the people would be willing to have two churches so close together. It just seems like it would be impractical to people in a small town...
But that is a VERY good point, since DnD is not exactly monotheistic...
Thanks!!