PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Goblins Goblins Everywhere [Class(es)]

Regord_Silentflame
2008-06-05, 10:26 PM
I've been in sort of a Goblin Kick lately, inspired by my campaign.

Anyway, I've come up with a couple of classes that are tailored for my idea of goblins (similar to those in the MTG game, but not as comedic).

GOBLIN PARAGON

Instead of fitting to the same classes that other races do, many goblins chose to simply do what they do best, better!

Goblin Paragon
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|Racial Skill Mastery, Improved Senses

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0|Sneak Attack

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+1|Ability Boost (+2 Dex)[/table]
HD: d6
Skills per level: 6+Int Modifier
Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex),
Hide (Dex), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform
(Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Tumble (Dex).

Racial Skill Mastery (Ex):
At 1st level, a Goblin Paragon's Racial Bonus to Move Silently and Ride increase to +6, and they gain a +2 racial bonus to Hide Checks.

Improved Senses (Ex):
At 1st level, a Goblin Paragon's improve to better ambush unsuspecting targets. The Goblin Paragon's Darkvision increases to 90ft, and they gain Low Light Vision

Sneak Attack (Ex):
At 2nd level, a Goblin Paragon learns to strike a target's vitals when they are unawares. The Goblin Paragon gains +1d6 sneak attack. This ability is identical to the Rogue's ability, and stacks with sneak attack granted by any other source.

Ability Boost (Ex):
At 3rd level, a Goblin Paragon's Dexterity score increases by 2 points.

GOBLIN LEADER

Although goblins are sneaky easily avoid capture, they are also easily influenced by those with stronger wills. Some Goblinoids have learned to use their intimidating personalities to exploit this weakness in their kind.

Requirements:
Race: Humanoid with Goblinoid Subtype
Character level: 5th
Alignment: Any Evil
BAB: +3
Skills: Itimidate 4 Ranks
Ability Score: 10 Charisma

Goblin Leader
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|Leadership, Pyrrhic Leader (Half Penalty), Goblin Overlord

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0|Taskmaster, Suck it Up

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+3|
+1|All for One...Well, One for All

4th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+1|One Less Mouth to Feed

5th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+1|Rally, Pyrrhic Leader (No Penalty)[/table]
HD: d6
Skills per level: 4+ Int Modifier
Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex),
Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Ride (Dex), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Tumble (Dex).

Leadership:
At 1st level, a Goblin Leader gains Leadership as a bonus feat. If the Goblin Leader already has the Leadership feat, he may chose another feat, but he must meet the requirements for it as usual.

Pyrrhic Leader:
A Goblin Leader's Influence over his cohort and followers is based on Fear, and is not changed by the death of his following. At 1st level, a Goblin Leader suffers half the penalties he normally would for death of cohort or followers, rounded down. At 5th level, this ability improves, and the Goblin Leader suffers no penalties.

Goblin Overlord:
A Goblin Leader has special restrictions in regards to its Leadership ability. All of a Goblin Leader’s followers must be Humanoid with the Goblinoid Subtype. A Goblin Leader’s Cohort must be the same level as the highest level followers he currently has, and does not level as usual for a Cohort. The Cohort is referred to as a “Goat”(short for Scapegoat), and if the Goblin Leader’s Goat is ever killed or lost, he may immediately pick a new one out of his following, but they must be the highest level follower he has. If there is only one follower of the highest level, or if all followers of that level are killed, but the Goat remains, the Goblin Leader retains his leadership feat, and Rally ability, but loses all other features of the Goblin Leader Class until he has a Goat that is the same level as his highest level follower (by gaining new followers of the Goat’s level, or by killing the Goat and regaining a lower level one, or other means).
As a Special trait of this class, if taken by an NPC, his followers are included in his CR, they are not seperate encounters.

Taskmaster:
Using his Goat, a Goblin Leader has the ability to inspire his followers with intimidation and acts of Violence. This Ability grants the Goblin Leader a number of abilities based how many levels the Goblin Leader has in this class.

Suck it up (Ex):
At 2nd level, a Goblin Leader gains the ability to inspire determination in his followers by ranting at and berating his Goat. This Ability takes 1 minute of uninterrupted attention, and requires the Goblin Leader to be free to speak loudly and make gestures, and for his Goat to be within 10ft of him at all times. Any of the Goblin Leader’s followers who witness this display from start to end gain a Morale bonus to saves against Fear effects, and Mind-Affecting Effects that grant penalties to attacks, saves of skill checks (such as Crushing Despair), equal to the ECL of the Goblin Leader’s Goat for a number of Hours equal to the Goblin Leader’s Class level.

All for One…Well, One for All (Ex):
At 3rd level a Goblin Leader gains the ability to acquire armament for his followers from his most loyal volunteer. This effect involves the death of the Goblin Leader’s Goat, and produces weapons and armor sized for creatures its size or smaller if desired. Weapons are crafted from the Goat’s bones, and a number of Light weapons can be created equal to 5x the Goat’s HD, a number of one handed or thrown weapons equal to 2x his HD, and a number of ranged or Two-Handed weapons equal to ½ his HD, rounded down. You may craft ammunition in this manner as well, substituting 1 possible light weapon produced per 5 projectiles crafted. You may also produce a number of suits of armor from his skin and muscles equal to twice the Goat’s HD. Weapons crafted in this manner deal damage as a Shortsword for Light, Longsword for 1-handed, and Greatsword for 2-handed. Thrown weapons deal damage as a Shortsword, with a 20ft Range, and Ranged weapons deal damage as a shortbow, with 60ft range. All weapons crafted in this manner critical on a roll of 20 for twice the damage, light and throwing weapons weighing 2lb, one-handed weapons weighing 3, and two-handed and ranged weapons weighing 6. Melee weapons can be crafted to deal slashing, bludgeoning or piercing damage, thrown weapons slashing or piercing, and ranged only piercing. Armor crafted by this effect gives +1 AC, has a -2 Armor Check Penalty, and a max dex of +4, weigh 10lb and are considered light armor. If the Goat sacrificed for this ability had a natural armor bonus, then the armor crafted grants +2 AC, and weighs 15 lb. All items created by this ability have a Hardness equal to the Sacrificed Creature’s Natural Armor bonus, and HP equal to his HD. Once Crafted, All followers of the Goblin Leader, his Goat, and himself are all proficient with the items created with this ability, regardless of their normal proficiencies, and the items are not considered improvised, for 24 hours, after which proficiency is lost, and the items become improvised weapons, or unusable as armor for armor. Any Other creature trying to wear or wield these items gains no benefit from proficiency, and the items are considered improvised. This ability takes 1 Minute, plus 1 minute per weapon/armor or 5 ammunition being crafted. Unlike normal uses of the Craft skill, this ability requires no check.

One Less Mouth to Feed (Su):
At 4th level, a Goblin Leader gains the ability to sacrifice his Goat to grant an Inspiring Feast for his followers. To activate this ability, the Goblin Leader must choose a new Goat, just as if his current Goat had died, and the new Goat must assist the Goblin Leader in killing, and preparing the previous Goat to be consumed by the Goblin Leader’s Followers. This effect is Identical to the Heroes’ Feast spell (PHB p. 240), except that it is considered a supernatural effect, not a spell, and may feed any number of creatures, as long as they are all the Goblin Leader’s followers, or new Goat. The Goblin Leader’s effective caster level for this effect is equal to his Leadership Score.

Rally (Ex):
At the peak of his advancement, a Goblin Leader’s influence is bounded only by his terrifying presence. Once per week, a 5th level Goblin Leader can make an Intimidate check. This check takes one full day (8 hours of uninterrupted work), and the DC is equal to the Goblin Leader’s Current Leadership score. For every 5 points by which the check exceeds the DC, his Effective Leadership Score is Increased by 1 for 1 Month. If the check fails, all bonuses gained by the use of this ability are lost, the Goblin leader gains a -5 to his effective Leadership score (losing followers as appropriate for his new leadership score), and the Goblin leader may not use this ability, for 1 Month, after which he returns to normal (As if he had not used this ability). Multiple uses of this ability stack, and all increases remain until 1 month after the Goblin Leader’s last use of this ability, or he fails his check.

GOBLIN SHAMAN

Goblins feel safer in groups, they prefer to outnumber their opponents. To reflect this, goblins have developed their spellcasting ability different than those of other races.

Goblin Shaman
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Cooperative Spell, Joint Spell Power +1|2

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3| |3|0

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3| |3|1

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Spell Sneak Attack +1d6|3|2|0

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Joint Spell Power +2|3|3|1

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Improved Feint|3|3|2

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5| |3|3|2|0

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Spell Sneak Attack +2d6|3|3|3|1

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6| |3|3|3|2

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Joint Spell Power +3|3|3|3|2|0

11th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7| |3|3|3|3|1

12th|
+6|
+4|
+4|
+8|Spell Sneak Attack +3d6|3|3|3|3|2

13th|
+6|
+4|
+4|
+8|Cooperative Feint|3|3|3|3|2|0

14th|
+7|
+4|
+4|
+9| |4|3|3|3|3|1

15th|
+7|
+5|
+5|
+9|Joint Spell Power +4|4|4|3|3|3|2

16th|
+8|
+5|
+5|
+10|Spell Sneak Attack +4d6|4|4|4|3|3|2|0

17th|
+8|
+5|
+5|
+10| |4|4|4|4|3|3|1

18th|
+9|
+6|
+6|
+11| |4|4|4|4|4|3|2

19th|
+9|
+6|
+6|
+11| |4|4|4|4|4|4|3

20th|
+10|
+6|
+6|
+12|Joint Spell Power +5, Spell Sneak Attack +5d6|4|4|4|4|4|4|4[/table]

{table="head"]Level|0|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th
1st|4|-|-|-|-|-|-
2nd|5|2|-|-|-|-|-
3rd|6|3|-|-|-|-|-
4th|6|3|2|-|-|-|-
5th|6|4|3|-|-|-|-
6th|6|4|3|-|-|-|-
7th|6|4|4|2|-|-|-
8th|6|4|4|3|-|-|-
9th|6|4|4|3|-|-|-
10th|6|4|4|4|2|-|-
11th|6|4|4|4|3|-|-
12th|6|4|4|4|3|-|-
13th|6|4|4|4|4|2|-
14th|6|4|4|4|4|3|-
15th|6|4|4|4|4|3|-
16th|6|5|4|4|4|4|2
17th|6|5|5|4|4|4|3
18th|6|5|5|5|4|4|3
19th|6|5|5|5|5|4|4
20th|6|5|5|5|5|5|4
[/table]

HD: d4
Skills: 4+Int mod
Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Concentration (Con), Hide (Dex), Move Silently (Dex), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int)

Spellcasting:
The Goblin Shaman casts arcane spells spontaneously. It uses it's Charisma modifier for save DCs and bonus spells. It must have a charisma equal to 10+spell level to cast a spell of a level. It's spell list is the sorcerer spell list, but it can only chose spells from the conjuration, enchantment, evocation and illusion schools.

Cooperative Spell:
At 1st level, Goblin Shaman's gain Cooperative Spell as a bonus feat, it need not meet the prerequisites for the feat. If the Goblin Shaman already has Cooperative spell, it may chose another metamagic feat, but it must meet the prerequisites for this feat as usual.

Joint Spell Power (Su):
Goblin Shaman work it teams, and have developed ways to increase their power by working in packs. At 1st level, a Goblin shaman who uses a spell with the Cooperative Spell metamagic feat applied, he gains a +1 to his effective caster level for the casting of that spell. This bonus does not stack with the Cooperative Spell's ability to grant bonuses to overcome spell resistance. At 5th level, and every 5 levels afterwards, the bonus to the caster level increases by 1 (to a max of 5 at 20th). To use this ability, the Goblin Shaman must be casting Cooperatively with at least 1 other Goblin, and 2 more Goblins for every +1 they receive (9 other goblins for +5). If they do not have enough Goblins for their max bonus, they receive the highest bonus they apply for.

Spell Sneak Attack (Ex):
Goblin Shaman are as practiced at hitting a target's vitals with spells as a Rogue is with doing so with a dagger. At 4th level, the Goblin Shaman gains +1d6 sneak attack to damage rolls. This ability is identical to the Rogue's ability, except it only works on damage rolls made for spells cast by this class. The Goblin Shaman gets an additional +1d6 to this damage every 4 levels (to a maximum of +5d6 at 20th).

Improved Feint:
At 6th level, the Goblin Shaman gains Improved Feint as a Bonus feat, without meeting the requirements. If the Goblin Shaman already has Improved Feint as a feat, it may chose another feat instead, but must meet the requirements for that feat as usual.

Cooperative Feint (Ex):
Goblin Shaman eventually become so adroit in their cooperative spellcasting, that they can combine their efforts to confuse their foes. At 13th level, a Goblin Shaman who casts a spell cooperatively with at least 1 other goblin can make a bluff check for a feint as an immediate action at a -10 penalty when finishing the spell. This effect takes effect before the spell is actually cast, and is otherwise identical to a normal feint.

Regord_Silentflame
2008-08-15, 03:33 PM
Any ideas?
I've never really gotten much feedback on my work, so I have no idea whether this is balanced or not.

sigurd
2008-08-17, 11:45 PM
Really like them. They suit my campaign too.

I'll give you a deeper opinion when I have a chance to look them over.

Thanks!

Sigurd

Zeta Kai
2008-08-18, 05:42 AM
All three look pretty good. And you're right: the lowly goblin needs more love. The table for the Goblin Shaman has typos in the 2nd- & 3rd-level special features.

Morty
2008-08-18, 05:48 AM
I like it. Everything that gives goblins more stuff is good, but those classes are really well though-out.

Regord_Silentflame
2008-08-18, 05:21 PM
All three look pretty good. And you're right: the lowly goblin needs more love. The table for the Goblin Shaman has typos in the 2nd- & 3rd-level special features.

Thanks, and fixed

Debihuman
2008-08-18, 05:51 PM
I'm rather fond of these.

Do goblin paragons get "+1 level of existing spellcasting class" for the spells or do they not get spells at all? It's a blank column.

Debby

Regord_Silentflame
2008-08-18, 06:00 PM
Blank means none

Bhu
2008-08-19, 04:43 AM
I havent had a chance to PEACH them yet, but I like the ideas behind them so far. I have a few Gobbo PrC's you can swipe to if you want.

JoshuaZ
2008-08-19, 09:51 AM
Goblin Leader should require some number of ranks in intimidate to qualify for given that the description explicitly involves them intimidating other goblins to get the position. I'm a little worried about Pyrrhic Leader. I could see someone taking a level 1 dip in this class and then abusing the heck out of it. Maybe at level 1 they only take half the normal penalty of losing followers and they take none at level 5?

Spell Sneak Attack is interesting but the wording needs work if I understand it.
You want the Sneak Attack to add to damage rolls not attack rolls right? So it should say "Goblin Shaman are as practiced at hitting a target's vitals with spells as a Rogue is with doing so with a dagger. At 4th level, the Goblin Shaman gains +1d6 sneak attack added to damage rolls. This ability is identical to the Rogue's ability, except it only works on damage rolls made for spells cast by this class. The Goblin Shaman gets an additional +1d6 to this damage every 4 levels (to a maximum of +5d6 at 20th)."

Shades of Gray
2008-08-19, 09:54 AM
How about Hobgoblin Commander? or Bugbear Bruiser?

Goblins aren't the only goblins.

JoshuaZ
2008-08-19, 10:50 AM

These classes only require the Goblinoid subtype so they could be taken by Hobgoblins.

Stycotl
2008-08-19, 01:00 PM
if the goblin paragon doesn't increase its spells, then you should just remove the column.

cool paragon class though.

Regord_Silentflame
2008-08-19, 01:02 PM
Goblin Leader should require some number of ranks in intimidate to qualify for given that the description explicitly involves them intimidating other goblins to get the position.

It does, 4 ranks

I'm a little worried about Pyrrhic Leader. I could see someone taking a level 1 dip in this class and then abusing the heck out of it. Maybe at level 1 they only take half the normal penalty of losing followers and they take none at level 5?

I can see that may be a problem. I'll take your suggestion.

Spell Sneak Attack is interesting but the wording needs work if I understand it.
You want the Sneak Attack to add to damage rolls not attack rolls right? So it should say "Goblin Shaman are as practiced at hitting a target's vitals with spells as a Rogue is with doing so with a dagger. At 4th level, the Goblin Shaman gains +1d6 sneak attack added to damage rolls. This ability is identical to the Rogue's ability, except it only works on damage rolls made for spells cast by this class. The Goblin Shaman gets an additional +1d6 to this damage every 4 levels (to a maximum of +5d6 at 20th)."

You're right, not sure why I didn't think that would be misleading when I wrote it.

Actually, the Goblin Leader is better designed for non-goblin goblinoids, since size matters for intimidate, I just use the term "goblin -" instead of "goblinoid -" since I believe it sounds better

JoshuaZ
2008-08-19, 06:52 PM
Huh. Don't know why I didn't see the 4 ranks in intimidate the first time I looked at it. Must have rolled a 1 on my spot check.