PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Private Eye

Chronicled
2008-06-05, 11:37 PM
I'm about to start a game where I'm the only PC. This will be my younger brother's first try at DMing, so to prevent an unlucky early death, I'm going to be a level 4 gestalt. Stats (rolled) are 17/13/13/12/12/11. I get two flaws, all exotic weapon proficiencies and 9100 gp. All books allowed.

I've got the idea of a Human Factotum//Psion (Telepath or Egoist most likely) running a sort of private eye/general problem solver business. And since it's a Factotum, there's going to be some Indiana Jones influence on the character (carrying a whip and the Whip Climber skill trick, for starters).

What I'm looking for are ideas for fun and versatile PrCs, feats (Quick Draw, Psicrystal Affinity, and at least 2 Fonts of Inspiration are sure picks), and items. I'd especially appreciate any fun thoughts for his backstory, personality, quirks, and the like.

Note: I know how to twink out a character, but I'm not planning on breaking my brother's first game. Any powergaming suggestions should be aimed at increasing the character's adaptability. Thank you!

Chronos
2008-06-06, 01:32 AM
"Fun and versatile PrCs" absolutely screams Chameleon. Take two levels (for the floating feat) or all ten (for more spells, boosts to ability scores, and other goodies).

Chronicled
2008-06-06, 11:05 AM
"Fun and versatile PrCs" absolutely screams Chameleon. Take two levels (for the floating feat) or all ten (for more spells, boosts to ability scores, and other goodies).

I like the sound of this. Chameleon even feels like a natural extension of Factotum...

Does Earth Power (which reduces the PP you spend by 1 while on the ground, RoS) allow you to effectively spend 1 more PP than your manifester level? It's looking like a shoe-in feat if that's the case, even with the worthless prereq feat.

AmberVael
2008-06-06, 03:43 PM
A lot of people recommend going into Chameleon from Factotum.
I disagree. There's nothing wrong with Chameleon, but I feel that advancing the Factotum class allows the same- if not more- versatility as the PrC, also advancing your capability and power in terms of all your abilities.

You gain more interesting and useful abilities in Factotum, more inspiration points to use those abilities, more skills, better saves, don't have to use a spellbook for your spells, can wear armor when you cast your spells, and can focus on any aspect when you want to, not just once per day.
Chameleon is a waste.

I don't believe that Earth Power allows you to spend more PP- I think it only allows reduction.
As in, I think it is reduced after you determine whether you use it.
But I have no real basis for that.

Unfortunately, they are no truly good PrCs for Psions. All of them require losing caster levels, which just isn't worth it (in terms of versatility AND power).

Temp.
2008-06-07, 02:27 AM
I agree with Vael about the Chameleon. Factotum is a great source of versatility on its own.

I believe Earth Power should allow an extra PP to be invested in your Powers, but the prerequisite feat and the "standing on unworked stone or earth" clause make me think this feat is garbage, regardless.

And Psion Prestige classes? I can't think of any that are very powerful. Anarchic Initiate (CPsi) is just about the only one I'd seriously consider, but it requires chaotic alignment (great if you're going for Dirk Gently, tricky if you're going for a more methodological sleuth). It's sort of like a Psionic WIld Mage with a focus on the Overchannel feat.

Chronicled
2008-06-07, 02:29 AM
A lot of people recommend going into Chameleon from Factotum.
I disagree. There's nothing wrong with Chameleon, but I feel that advancing the Factotum class allows the same- if not more- versatility as the PrC, also advancing your capability and power in terms of all your abilities.

You gain more interesting and useful abilities in Factotum, more inspiration points to use those abilities, more skills, better saves, don't have to use a spellbook for your spells, can wear armor when you cast your spells, and can focus on any aspect when you want to, not just once per day.
Chameleon is a waste.

I don't believe that Earth Power allows you to spend more PP- I think it only allows reduction.
As in, I think it is reduced after you determine whether you use it.
But I have no real basis for that.

Unfortunately, they are no truly good PrCs for Psions. All of them require losing caster levels, which just isn't worth it (in terms of versatility AND power).

First off, your new avatar rocks.

Interesting thoughts about the Chameleon... I'll take them into consideration. Earth Power has been verified in the Q&A to allow a psionic class to augment powers 1 higher than their manifester level.

Original post will be edited, since the build is almost complete but I'd like to see any good RP ideas people have.

I believe Earth Power should allow an extra PP to be invested in your Powers, but the prerequisite feat and the "standing on unworked stone or earth" clause make me think this feat is garbage, regardless.

And Psion Prestige classes? I can't think of any that are very powerful. Anarchic Initiate (CPsi) is just about the only one I'd seriously consider, but it requires chaotic alignment (great if you're going for Dirk Gently, tricky if you're going for a more methodological sleuth). It's sort of like a Psionic WIld Mage with a focus on the Overchannel feat.

Earth Power's prerequisite feat is a pain, but the longevity and more effective nova-ing are quite appealing. Even with the landlocked clause, the feat would be too good without Earth Sense as the prereq.

I haven't seen Anarchic Initiate before (I normally steer clear of CPsi), but I'll give it a look now. Thanks!