PDA

View Full Version : D&D Insider Has Launched

SamTheCleric
2008-06-06, 07:21 AM
EDIT: OK, so the website is just a bunch of place holders for now. I was tricked. But... still.. lots of neat screenshots and information for you to look at. Also, check out the daily art preview of the majestic red dragon.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/insider

It looks fancy... I'll have to try it after work today.

What interests me most, so far... is the Character Builder

The D&D Character Builder allows you to fill out a character record sheet as well as selectand create power reference cards for your D&D character. You can print them out for home game use and update them online. The character sheet and power cards make it easy to keep track of all of your character"s vital game statistics and abilities.

The D&D Character Builder automatically calculates your character"s statistics based on your choice of race, class, trained skills, equipment, feats, and powers. It also creates power reference cards for you based on your choice of powers.

I also really like that options are still available for non-subscribers. You can use the Visualizer with fewer options, you can use the character builder and you can use the dungeon builder... you just cant import the dungeon to your game table... but you can build it and print it out.

bosssmiley
2008-06-06, 07:26 AM
Re: D&D Insider Has Launched...

...and will probably crash within fifteen minutes or so, as is customary for all nerd-tastic tech rollouts. :smallbiggrin:

Charity
2008-06-06, 07:33 AM
It is just placeholder ads at the mo... so no need to crash it yet Bossman.

The power cards over on EnWorld are loads snazzier than the official ones as it goes...

Kurald Galain
2008-06-06, 07:35 AM
It is just placeholder ads at the mo... so no need to crash it yet Bossman.

He means it's liable to get slashdotted.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-06, 07:37 AM
I was tricked! It -is- just a placeholder! :smallyuk:

Dragor
2008-06-06, 07:47 AM
And you had me so excited Sam....

*cries*

SamTheCleric
2008-06-06, 07:48 AM
I'm sure it will be coming up throughout the day to conincide with the launch of the books today.

Must... remain... optimistic.... :smallamused:

Gorbash
2008-06-06, 07:56 AM
I also really like that options are still available for non-subscribers.

Well, since subscribing is free, I kinda don't see the point of not subscribing... Oh and btw I spent 15 minutes trying to get to the actual Character Creator screen, too. :smalltongue:

Tyger
2008-06-06, 07:58 AM
Well, since subscribing is free, I kinda don't see the point of not subscribing... Oh and btw I spent 15 minutes trying to get to the actual Character Creator screen, too. :smalltongue:

THere will be a fee (which I don't think the actual amount of has been released yet) for subscription access to D&DI soon.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-06, 07:58 AM

Subscriptions will cost $14.95 a month... Which I think you need for Dungeon and Dragon Magazine, Full Character Visualizer options and the Game Table.

Gorbash
2008-06-06, 08:10 AM
But Dungeon and Dragon are free now, why would they make us pay in the future? And it's totally not worth it, they are just a shadow of former self (paizo ones were much better), and 15 dollars a month so that I don't have to use my imagination to create a character...? If I wanted to pay that much for a game, I'd go play Age of Conan lol...

SamTheCleric
2008-06-06, 08:12 AM
Here ya go...

Wizards of the Coast, Inc. announced today that the planned beta release of D&D Insider kicks off with the switch to 4th Edition content for the Dragon and Dungeon online magazines, set to coincide with the launch of D&D 4th Edition. The planned beta period is free, and in addition to the online magazines the beta will include the first iteration of the D&D Rules Compendium, an online resource for players and Dungeon Masters of the world’s greatest fantasy roleplaying game. Other D&D Insider components will roll out as they become available.

"We’re extremely excited to have both analog and digital components come together for D&D 4th Edition," said Scott Rouse, Senior Brand Manager for D&D. "Through the free beta period, we encourage fans to help us make improvements to the suite of digital components offered through D&D Insider."

The client-based applications, including the D&D Character Builder and D&D Game Table, will not be part of the initial beta release period, but will be added as they become available.

After the initial beta period concludes, Wizards of the Coast will offer a special introductory price for a limited time. "When the special introductory price period comes to an end, the regular price of $14.95 per month for the entire suite of components goes into effect," said Rouse. "And, as we’ve previously announced, there will be discounts based on longer subscription commitments."

wodan46
2008-06-06, 08:47 AM
AGH ITS A MOREPIG.

Eh, not really, plus anything the website can do will be done by 10 other websites in a few weeks.

Swooper
2008-06-06, 10:47 AM
I might pay for a subscription despite having no interest in playing 4E for now, if just to gain access to the virtual game table to use in 3e games.

RTGoodman
2008-06-06, 11:19 AM
Also, as the end of that article points out, the price goes down if you pay for more at a time. I think it only ends up being like $8-10 per month if you subscribe on a yearly (rather than monthly) basis.

Dragor
2008-06-06, 02:05 PM
So, the beta will be available forever for free? Or will that change as soon as the official Insider launches?

Lycan 01
2008-06-06, 02:05 PM
Soooo, this will offer free character creation sheets and stuff? Will it be 4e only, or will you be able to make 3.5e character sheets?

Either way, that's cool! :smallbiggrin: