PDA

View Full Version : Keep on The Shadowfell IC

Iron Mongler
2008-06-06, 09:29 AM
The wind in your face is cool and comfortable. The road beneath your feet is level. An occasional ancient cobblestone peeks through the dirt road, indicating decades of neglect. You notice footprints leading up and down the road, many of which were made by small, clawed feet.

Here is the map:

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6136/kotsgrid1qm4.png (http://imageshack.us)

Place your characters (I will keep track of you by the first letters of your name on the grid; you should do the same) on the road within 2 squares of the eastern edge of the map, and take 2 rounds to walk westward, speak, anything you feel in-character.

Duke of URL
2008-06-06, 10:02 AM
Kineath, Dragonborn Paladin

"I hope Staul has not gotten into too much trouble -- he can generally take care of himself. But a dragon's tomb? It just reeks of bad omens."

Starting at AC11, attempts to take a lead position for the group. Moves to X7 (1st move) and then S7 (2nd move)

Edit: V Oops! Fixed!!!

Iron Mongler
2008-06-06, 11:10 AM
You started on the wrong edge of the map. Please change your post to reflect being on the EASTERN edge.

(Also as an FYI, each square is 5 feet).

UserClone
2008-06-06, 11:20 AM
Thorn Glitterblade, Halfling Rogue

"I 'spect he's just fine; likely he merely found something that interested him so much that he simply forgot to check in with his wife," Thorn muses with an unconvincing chuckle.

Meanwhile, Thorn will be moving to stay at or near point position, along with Kineath. AD12 to T7.

Sengir
2008-06-06, 02:17 PM
Kramok, Dwarven Fighter

Kramok walks a bit behind Kineath, watching their surroundings. At Thorn's comment he frowns: "I sure hope you're right, but it doesn't sound like him, to leave his wife in doubt about his safety."

AD14 > Y10 > T8

elkhantar
2008-06-09, 01:57 AM
Rahmos Loenthal, Tielfling Warlord

Walking in the lead, alongside the paladin, Rahmos doesn't seem too troubled either. I'm sure the old man is fine. he says. Probably he simply found too much treasure to carry by himself and is working to get it out the dragon's tomb. The tielfling sighs when he see the gravestones and then looks to the trees on the opposite side of the road, hoping to be right.

Rahmos covers the other side of the road.
AC 13 > X9 > S8

Shades of Gray
2008-06-09, 07:19 PM
Agamemmnon, human wizard

Agamemmnon pulls his cowl over his head. He snickers at Rahmos' comment.
I hope you're right too. Then again... Heavy lifting isn't my forte. he says jokingly.

Agamemmnon flicks his wand from hand to hand nervously.

AC 14, moving to T9

Paper_Bard
2008-06-09, 07:28 PM
OOC: I can take over now if you want. If you've given my postion over to shades of gray, that's fine. He can have it if he wants. If not, let me know so I can write up the bio.

Iron Mongler
2008-06-09, 07:31 PM
Small creatures hiding behind the rocks spring into view and begin to move toward you. With a shriek, the small humanoids attack. Scaled and rust-colored, they have reptilian heads and tails.

They wear hide armor and carry spears, along with 3 javelins and one light shield each.

Initiative, everyone.

Kobolds are at:

I4
L5
M4
N4
O11

The creatures at O11 and I4 don't seem to be defending as easily as their allies.

Agammemnon realizes the following about these creatures at the moment:

Kobolds often dwell near a dragon’s lair, maintaining a safe distance but bringing sacrificial offerings to their “god.” Most dragons ignore kobolds, as a crocodile ignores the birds that pick its teeth clean. Once in a great while, however, a young dragon takes an interest in its kobold cult, which then becomes a real menace to the dragon’s enemies.

Kobolds are humanoids.

OOC:

It's okay, I just wanted the next part to happen and I wasn't sure if you'd left. You can take the position back Paper. :smalltongue:

UserClone
2008-06-09, 07:45 PM
Thorn:
[roll0]
Ouch! Guessing that's not getting me any Combat Advantage! So, how else to do it...
OOC:Do you think you could re-do the map with the positions of the PCs/Kobolds? It would make the decision-making much easier...

Iron Mongler
2008-06-09, 07:53 PM
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6939/kotsgrid12ut6.png (http://imageshack.us)

Duke of URL
2008-06-10, 06:53 AM
Kineath

Kobolds. Feral distant kin... and a menace. He prepares himself for battle.

[roll0]

Sengir
2008-06-10, 07:26 AM
Kramok Ironfoot

I suppose that's the end of the easy part of our trip... I wonder whether Dousen has encountered these creatures as well.

[roll0]

Edit: Thank the gods that you can't fail an initiative check. This party is none too quick so far.

elkhantar
2008-06-10, 08:43 AM
Rahmos Loenthal

The tielfling unsheathes his sword and shouts at Kobolds in goblin, hoping they'll understand the language. Back off, creatures! don't give us any reason to harm you!

All of you within 10 squares of Rahmos gets a +2 to Initiative. I hope it helps :smallsmile:

[roll0]

Paper_Bard
2008-06-10, 09:26 PM
Agamemmnon

As the kobolds make themselves known, Agamemmnon simply sighs as he readies himself. "More sheep to the slaughter... well then... let's get this over with." He says dispassionately.

[roll0]

OC: Bio will be put in spoiler in next post. Still working.
Forgot to add +2 for warlord's bonus. Sorry. Roll is actually 17

Iron Mongler
2008-06-10, 09:31 PM
Initiative Order (retroactively added in init boost for people):

Rahmos (18)
Agamemmnon (17)
Kineath (10)
Thorn (8)
Ironfoot (4)

Kobolds: To be posted after turn 1.

The kobolds let loose cries in Draconic, which only Agamemmnon and Kineath understand. "Today we shall celebrate another victory!"

Rahmos begins.

@ Sengir:
Sengir, this may seem incredibly strange, but can you roll a D20 before your turn comes up? Thank you.

Sengir
2008-06-11, 07:53 AM
Apparently only posting a roll isn't enough characters...
[roll0]

UserClone
2008-06-11, 02:57 PM
"Try to keep them off their balance, Rahm!" shouts Thorn, as he reaches for the daggers on his bandolier.

elkhantar
2008-06-11, 03:50 PM
Rahmos

Then so be it. decides Rahmos when he sees the hostile attitude of the kobolds. He moves towards the closest one, and lashes out with his sword.

Sorry, I was out today and couldn't post earlier. Rahmos moves to P11 and attacks [roll0] damage [roll1]

Iron Mongler
2008-06-11, 04:55 PM
You strike at the kobold with your sword, catching him under his guard and killing him in one swift stroke.

"You'll pay for that!" Yells one of them in Draconic.

Agammemnon's turn. (Rahmos, if you have anything else to do on your turn, just edit it into your post)

Paper_Bard
2008-06-13, 06:45 PM
Sorry, forgot to subscribe. Also, I don't have the time to write a bio jsut at this moment. Give me a few more days.

With a snort of irratation, Agammemnon thrusts his hands out, with his left palm pushing against the back of his right hand. His palms face the unlucky kobold north west of the party. He mutters "Avu Notrias Zintar! and an orb of force issues forth from his right palm and screams towards the kobold.

Firing at kobold minion at N4.
To Hit: [roll0]
Damage (If Hit) [roll1] - Though I understand for a minion it doesn't matter how much damage, it gives an idea of the kill factor.

Iron Mongler
2008-06-14, 01:50 PM
Your bolt of silvery force is sent straight to the kobold's head, but with a flash of his spear, he impales it before it hits him, stopping it dead.

Kineath's turn (if you have anything else to do Agamemmnon, just edit it in).

Duke of URL
2008-06-16, 06:59 AM
Kineath

The paladin moves swiftly to engage to enemy, letting forth a burst of electrical energy at a cluster of kobolds.

Move: to O5

Standard: Use encounter ability Dragon Breath (needed to pick an elemental type, didn't I... we'll go with lightning) covering squares from L4 to N2. (I'm assuming the burst requires line of effect? Otherwise, change the area of effect to include the kobold at L5 as well)
[roll0] vs. Reflex, [roll1]

Minor: Divine Challenge on the nearest remaining enemy

Iron Mongler
2008-06-16, 07:56 AM
Just one thing to change before you continue on: when you use a power that targets multiple enemies, you roll multiple attack rolls but one damage roll. So in this case, roll 2 more attack rolls (I suggest using the highest on the one at L5 since he has cover).

Also, since Dragonborn use that one element of breath weapon for the rest of their lives, you'll be using lightning breath weapons from now on if you do that. If you'd like to try another element instead, go ahead.

As for the line of effect bit, you will indeed be able to hit the kobold at L5, since line of effect is determined by your attack's origin square. In this case, he has cover instead of superior cover because a corner of your attack's original square can reach two of his corners. Convenient, huh?

Duke of URL
2008-06-16, 08:52 AM
Right-o... getting used to the new mechanics here, obviously.

I did actually assume that the element of choice would be permanent, yes, so no surprises or worries there.

Two more attack rolls:

[roll0] vs. Reflex, [roll1] vs. Reflex

Iron Mongler
2008-06-16, 11:04 AM
You fire a blast of lightning at the insolent kobolds, catching two of them. Their frying bodies smell vaguely like chicken and they fall to the ground, burnt and dead. The last one (at N4 I will presume, tell me if you'd prefer the low attack roll to go to another) dodges your blast just in time to avoid the fate of his companions.

Thorn's turn.

UserClone
2008-06-18, 07:53 PM
((OoC: Ack! I didn't realize it was my turn, sorry! Ok, I can't see anyone on the map for some reason...))

Drawing a dagger, Thorn pretends to zig, but zags instead, executing a Sly Flourish on N4. [roll0]vs. AC
[roll1]
[roll2]

Iron Mongler
2008-06-18, 10:02 PM
He ducks under the dagger you toss as quickly as he can.

OOC:

Are you having trouble seeing the map or do you just need it updated? If it's the former I can just PM you the images.

The kobold at I4 charges at Rahmos with his spear (the kobold moves to O9) but it bounces off of your armor as he curses under his breath.

The N4 Kobold shifts back to M3, then shifts again back to L2, quicker than the eye can follow. He then charges at Kineath, but he misses him by an inch with his spear.

Suddenly, three more kobolds come into view from behind some rocks. Two of them carry short swords and use what looks like dragon scales as shields, while the other wears leather armor and carries a sling. Three small, ceramic globes hang from a bandolier across its chest.

A dragonshield yells, "Get them!" and they prepare to attack.

(The two kobolds with short swords are at L12 and L13 while the slinger is at J5).

The two kobolds with dragon-scale shields approach. The one at L12 does that annoying quick-shift to M11 and then moves to P6's foilage and attacks Kineath with his short sword from a flanking position, and this kobold's sword is much faster than that of his incompetent kin; he hits you for 8 damage and you are Marked until the end of his next turn.

The second dragon-scale shield kobold charges to O11 and attacks Rahmos with his short sword, but Rahmos' quick reflexes allow him to parry even this move.

The slinger moves to L1 so he can get a clear shot at Kineath. He picks up a ceramic globe from his bandolier and fires it at Kineath, hitting him for 9 damage. The globe explodes, causing flames to ignite on the dragonborn. He now takes 2 ongoing fire damage (save ends; remember the damage occurs before you get to save). The slinger then shifts using that quick movement ability to go to K2.

Ironfoot's turn is next. Here is the map as it currently stands:

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/499/kotsgrid1vr6.png (http://imageshack.us)

Sengir
2008-06-19, 03:56 AM
Kramok Ironfoot

Gripping his maul, Kramok moves forward, cursing his short legs.

Move to P8
Reaping Strike vs Minion in O9
[roll0]
[roll1]

EDIT: The minion is also marked because of Kramok's combat challenge

Iron Mongler
2008-06-19, 07:51 AM
You attack the kobold with scything attacks, wicked jabs, and small cutting blows, but the kobold manages to block all of it with his light shield. You notice despite that though that now that the minions are no longer adjacent to any minions, they're not defending as well as they did previously.

EXPLANATION NOTE: Normally Reaping Strike can do damage even if it misses. However, a missed attack can never deal damage to a minion. :smallfrown: He is still Marked.

Initiative Order:

Rahmos (18)
Agamemmnon (17)
Kineath (10)
Thorn (8)
KOBOLD MINIONS
KOBOLD DRAGONSHIELDS
KOBOLD SLINGER
Ironfoot (4)

Lastly, as a note to Thorn, remember your First Strike class feature allows you to have combat advantage against those who haven't acted yet, which grants a +2 bonus to attack rolls. Even on a 12 you still would have missed, but it's good to know for the future.

Big Edit:

I didn't actually notice that Rahmos was at P11 and mistakenly put him at P10. He also actually hit the kobold minion he'd attacked. For the sake of this running smoothly, and since the kobold didn't hit anyone anyway, I will just say that the kobold at Q11 is dead and that Rahmos is still in the same spot of P10. Hope that doesn't cause much confusion. I have edited some earlier posts to reflect this decision, including updating the map in my previous post.

Rahmos is next.

UserClone
2008-06-19, 02:55 PM
((OoC: Those letters are kind of difficult for me to follow. Is there some way you could differentiate the party from the enemies better, like using numbers instead of letters, or using a different color or font?))

Iron Mongler
2008-06-19, 03:42 PM
OOC:

I just went and made the map the maximum possible size on imageshack, I hope you can see it well now. :smallcool:

UserClone
2008-06-19, 08:03 PM
((It's not so much the size as it is the sameness of the characters used to represent the PCs and enemies. Perhaps the PCs could be blue and the kobolds red? Something like that?))

Iron Mongler
2008-06-19, 09:50 PM
I've tried converting them to red/blue but they don't blend very well with the background. Tomorrow morning I'll modify it and see what colors fit in well.

Iron Mongler
2008-06-20, 08:31 AM
I updated the map in Post 28 again, giving the enemies a red/arial font while you guys are dark blue/times new roman. I would make a political joke here but it'd probably get deleted. :smallcool:

Duke of URL
2008-06-24, 08:38 AM
(( Hopefully, you're not waiting on me... if you are, then here's Kineath's actions, otherwise, this will be his actions on his turn unless the situation radically changes ))

Kineath attempts to deal with the marked minion to his western side, and then summons additional strength from his reserves.

Edit: Healing surge received from Rahmos: Starting HP for round 8 + 7 (surge, 10 remaining) + 2 (surge bonus) = 17
Bloodied. (10 HP)
2 HP ongoing damage (15 HP remain)
Move: None
Standard: Valiant Strike (at will), [roll0] -1 vs. AC (+1 bloodied, +2 adjacent enemies), [roll1]
Minor: If minion goes down, mark other adjacent enemy (dragonshield)
Action Point: Spend action point to use a healing surge (+7 HP, 10 surges remaining, 0 action points remaining)
Save: [roll2] to end ongoing effect (failed)

Iron Mongler
2008-06-24, 10:07 AM
I am actually waiting for Rahmos, and then Agammemnon. Your turn will be taken into consideration for when it's time though, thanks for making it early.

elkhantar
2008-06-25, 03:10 AM
Rahmos

Rahmos frowns when he sees the cheap shot they took at his dragonborn friend. He tries to encourage him and fights with even more ferocity to give example. Get them, Kin! we'll make them pay for that! Seeing how easily the first kobold fell, and now that the minions have dispersed, Rahmos focuses his attacks on the Kobold Dragonshield. I warned you he says, as he attacks mercilessly.

Sorry, went away on a trip for a couple of days and since then the forums have been simply stupid and not letting me post ("server too busy") :smallsigh:

I'm still unsure of how 4e rules work, but I guess it's legal if I make a minor action to use the inspiring word ability on Kineath:

Minor Action Close burst 5
Target: You or one ally in burst
Effect: The target can spend a healing surge and regain an additional 1d6 hit points.

Could that save him the action point? I'm so eager to get the 4e books that I may even buy the english version to avoid waiting for the translation...

As a standard action, Rahmos uses his leaf on the wind encounter power on the dragonshield:
Attack:[roll0] vs AC
Damage:[roll1] and Rahmos switches places with the dragonshield.

Ok, now that I know I can, I'll use the minor action to heal Kineath. I'm editing the post to add some flavour to that.

Iron Mongler
2008-06-25, 07:06 AM
You catch the dragonshield under his guard and stab into his arm quickly. He lets out a loud yelp of pain, stumbling towards you. You use the opportunity to slip past him quicker than a panther, not even giving the kobolds a chance to strike back.

OOC:

Yes, you can heal Kineath with your ability. You get a minor, standard, and move action each turn (and you can give up standard actions for a minor/move or a move for a minor) so you're fine. Kineath, if you wish to edit your actions when your turn rolls up again feel free to. Just as another note to Kineath, ongoing damage only happens at the start of your turn, so failing the save has no ill effects until your next turn.

Agammemnon.

Duke of URL
2008-06-25, 07:27 AM
(( Post above edited, and will edit again with [roll0] extra healing from Rahmos ))

Iron Mongler
2008-07-02, 06:47 PM
My, it's been awhile. Should I continue waiting?

UserClone
2008-07-02, 07:06 PM
Oo's next?

Iron Mongler
2008-07-02, 07:53 PM
Agammemnon.

On another note, are the maps displaying well for you now?

elkhantar
2008-07-03, 02:37 AM
good to know you're still around, Iron Mongler. I suppose it was partly my fault for taking so long to reply last time. I had to go on a trip, but since I last posted I've been checking this thread almost daily to see if it had moved forward.