PDA

View Full Version : How do you think Nale gathered up his original Linear Guild?

GaaSaku-rules
2008-06-06, 09:48 AM
We all know that Nale has this obsession about evil twins. It's the reason why he wants to fight the Order of the Stick with evil counter parts of them.

But how did he manage to pull together his first team and have them match up with the OotS almost perfectly in such short time. I mean, the OotS had only been formed for a few days when they and the LG first met up.

Note that the purpose here is to purely speculate. Be funny or serious in your suggestion, or tragic if you want to.

An Enemy Spy
2008-06-06, 12:56 PM
:sabine: knew that :elan: looked like :nale: only without the silly goatee and wanted a piece of that pie. And if :sabine: and :haley: are counter parts you can understand why they would be following two asses that look the same

ZZt'drii wanted to be a knock off of:vaarsuvius: instead of you know who so that the other drow would stop making fun of him for extreme unoriginality instead of moderate unoriginality

Do we really want to know how they found Yikyik?

:thog:followed the trail of hot fudge sundaes that :nale: left behind

We already know why Hilgya joined and to me all dwarves look the same anyway

SPoD
2008-06-06, 01:28 PM
Nale went to the Oracle of Sunken Valley and asked who he should recruit. The Oracle, having a perverse sense of humor, gave him a list of adventurers who happened to be the evil opposites of the people who would beat him.

David Argall
2008-06-06, 02:08 PM
There is simply a law of the OOTS world, and really of fantasy in general, that the laws of probability are only suggestions, to be ignored at whim. So when they started to oppose the party, it became mandatory that they be opposites to the party. No effort was required on the part of Nale, and an effort to avoid it would probably have failed.

While much of our information comes from a distinctly unreliable Nale, the given information is that he had no interest or knowledge that Elan was in the area. He was after a piece of magic and got a chance to make a twofer out of it.

Kato
2008-06-06, 03:35 PM
Nah...it's simple.
A six man group needs some certain creatures, the rest is coincidence.
The leader was of course him, and Sabine probably searched for him (any hot chick - every party needs one - would work as Haley's opposite). Then they need a tank, where a barbarian half-orc fits perfectly. (which is not sooo much an opposite to Roy, except for his IQ, but many fighters are dumb (sorry)) The they need a wizard, which demands an elf/half elf/drow. And a drow is the best fit for an evil wizard. Furthermore a cleric is needed, and dwarfs are good clerics, having high CON (Nobody wants a cleric who's faster gone then the ones he's supposed to heal). It being a girl might be sheer coincidence... Finally a tracker's needed. That's the only thing, which might be a strange coincidence, though I cant remember Yikyik's class or purpose ever being mentioned...

Liwen
2008-06-07, 02:03 AM
Maybe Xykon posted an add on a tavern billboard : "looking for evil opposites of this bunch of fools as discount mercenaries at the dungeon of Dorukan."

Nale : Hey, that's we're the talisman is. What do you think Sabine.
Sabine : Well the bard looks like you long lost twin brother and the red haired slut would be a good good opposite for me. So I guess we just need to find 4 more people.
Nale : Huh, how do we do that?
Sabine : Honey, this is a tavern. There's like 100 + adventurers waiting in lobby for the next round of Halo death match, I mean D&D campaing. We'll find them out.

Sir_Leorik
2008-06-12, 09:14 AM
We already know that Sabine was sent by her Evil Overlords to serve as Nale's concubine, and to further his descent into villainy. We also know that Loki sent Hilgya to steal the Talisman from Nale. Nale wanted the Talisman so he could destroy his father with the unconverted monsters. It wasn't until Elan rejected him in favor of Roy that Nale wanted to kill him, so I see the backstory as this:

Nale had a falling out with his father over some minor slight, and set off on his own. Seeking a way to make his father pay, he became a brigand, waylaying travelers and being a general nuisance. Being less than competent, Nale was caught and thrown in jail, where he met Thog. Thog had been arrested for running around mostly unclothed chasing puppies during a sugar buzz from all the ice cream he had eaten. Nale hatched a plan to break out, which failed, and they were bailed out by Nale's father.

Seething with anger at this affront to his ego, and unable to ditch Thog, Nale sought out power, and was granted sorcerer abilities by the Forces of Evil. Impressed with his potential, the Evil Ones gave him Sabine as his consort. They learned of the Talisman and went to seek it out. Feeling he needed more help, Nale sought to track down Elan, whom he knew only from passing mention from his father. To track him, he hired Yikyik, a kobold ranger with max ranks in Survival and the skill focus [survival] feat. However they were scared off by the presence of Sir Francois, who could tell they were evil just by looking at them.

So Nale and his companions bided their time, researching the Talisman's location. Loki sensed they were close to finding it, and sent his chosen cleric, Hilgya, to steal the Talisman, so he could annoy Thor with it. As for ZzD'tri, he is tight-lipped about how he came into Nale's employ.

The group was informed about Xykon's battle with Dorukan, so they traveled to seek an audience with the Lich. Nale told his band to keep quiet about the Talisman, and surprisingly, Thog cooperated. (Of course Thog was distracted by the chance to play Monopoly with the MitD, which is probably why.) Nale presented his band to Xykon, and offered to keep any adventurers out of his proverbial hair. After a two-week collective bargaining session Redcloak and Nale managed to come to an agreement: Nale's group would seek out any adventurers coming after Xykon or Redcloak, kill them, and keep any treasure the got from the battle, or they found, unless Xykon wanted it also, in which case they would be referred to binding arbitration to determine who got what.

Nale easily learned of Roy and Durkon gathering adventurers to slay Xykon (they weren't exactly subtle in OtOoPC's), but he was pleasantly surprised to see that Elan was helping Roy. So he decided to pretend to be a friendly group of adventurers, concocted the bogus story about the LG King sending them, and set out to follow the OotS. To complete the ruse, Sabine polymorphed into a female human rogue, and after going through a series of rejected names and themes, hit on the Linear Guild. The rest is history.

Timberboar
2008-06-12, 11:28 PM
You guys have it all wrong.

The OOtS are the evil twins.

TigerHunter
2008-06-12, 11:41 PM
:sabine:: Sent by the Underworld to aid him. Every evil person should have a devil/demon to help them--I'd certainly sacrifice a couple of virgins if I got a demon to do my bidding out of the deal.

:thog:: Met Nale at the puppy shelter one day when Nale was an angsty teenager, insecure in his eviltude, who'd gone there looking for a puppy to kick (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KickTheDog).

Hilgya: Commanded by Loki to help Nale acquire the talisman so she could steal it from him. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0074.html)

Zz'ditri:
:nale:-Say something if you don't want to accompany me on my quest.
Zz'ditri-...
:nale:-Welcome to the team.

Yikyik: Mercenary.