PDA

View Full Version : 4e Warforged now have a full race workup

kamikasei
2008-06-06, 02:52 PM
This (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080606b) is kind of cool.

I've just seen it, so I haven't looked through it to assess the actual content. However, I'm pleased to see Monster Manual races getting extra content delivered to bring them up to par with the PHB races so soon. I hope they'll keep this up for some of the other races, especially the popular ones like Eberron natives and goblinoids/kobolds.

Also, racial paragon paths? That's kind of interesting...

Dark Tira
2008-06-06, 02:59 PM
Wow, that's some sweet added content. I can't wait for kobolds and dopplegangers.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-06, 03:32 PM
I have only one thing to say about this.

AWESOME! I can't wait for a Human paragon path (What could it be, John MacClane?), and this should serve to stem the tide of complaints about how "The 4th ed. races are worse than the 3.5 ones!".

Dark Tira
2008-06-06, 03:35 PM
I have only one thing to say about this.

AWESOME! I can't wait for a Human paragon path (What could it be, John MacClane?), and this should serve to stem the tide of complaints about how "The 4th ed. races are worse than the 3.5 ones!".

I'm actually surprised they modified the base warforged stats into something playable. They much more favorably compare with minotaurs now. Oh, and Crag of Steel may be my new favorite paragon 20 power now.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-06, 03:38 PM
I'm waiting for the "Illusion wizard powers" article to show up... :)

Talkkno
2008-06-06, 03:39 PM
I thought it was supposed to released for free when 4th edition came out today?:smallconfused:

Dark Tira
2008-06-06, 03:39 PM
I'm waiting for the "Illusion wizard powers" article to show up... :)

They are suppose to be bringing out a new class next month, so there is hope.

It is free, you just have to have a gleemax account or sign up for DnDi.

YPU
2008-06-06, 03:40 PM
I am hoping that this is a good example of how insider will function, it seems to set a good standard and introduce useful info.

SamTheCleric
They are suppose to be bringing out a new class next month, so there is hope.

Well, this same issue of Dungeon has an article called "Wizards with Class" and the teaser is "Illusion Powers"

:smallbiggrin:

seedjar
Did anyone else notice the sidebar that says warforged don't need to eat, drink or breathe but that doesn't make them immune to anything? Seems wonky to me. "Warforged don't need to eat, drink or breathe unless they desire not to starve, dehydrate and/or asphyxiate to death." I wonder if there's some clarification in the general magic rules that determines what different types of creatures can be affected by a given spell effect.
~Joe

Morty
2008-06-06, 03:44 PM
Oh, for the love of...
they just had to make this Warforged instead of some not-utterly-lame race, didn't they?:smallannoyed:
I just hope other MM races will get the same.

YPU
2008-06-06, 03:48 PM
on a side note, am i the only one who find the link to the yeenoghu pdf broken?

Bearonet
2008-06-06, 03:48 PM
Did anyone else notice the sidebar that says warforged don't need to eat, drink or breathe but that doesn't make them immune to anything? Seems wonky to me. "Warforged don't need to eat, drink or breathe unless they desire not to starve, dehydrate and/or asphyxiate to death."
~Joe

I think they're referring to GAME CONDITIONS there, pal, not things like starvation and dehydration that the game doesn't model anyway because if I wanted that I'd play... I don't even know, what game does have rules for that and has them actually come up? Warhammer Fantasy RP?

kamikasei
2008-06-06, 03:59 PM
I think they're referring to GAME CONDITIONS there, pal, not things like starvation and dehydration that the game doesn't model anyway because if I wanted that I'd play... I don't even know, what game does have rules for that and has them actually come up? Warhammer Fantasy RP?

There were rules for starvation, dehydration, fatigue, exhuastion etc. in 3.5, though I don't know if they've been carried over. The idea was to make things like being stranded in the desert actually dangerous.

on a side note, am i the only one who find the link to the yeenoghu pdf broken?

It worked fine for me.

kc0bbq
2008-06-06, 04:08 PM
There were rules for starvation, dehydration, fatigue, exhuastion etc. in 3.5, though I don't know if they've been carried over. The idea was to make things like being stranded in the desert actually dangerous.And there are rules for it in 4e, too.

And they're clear and concise, too, and actually, pretty elegant.

Bosaxon
2008-06-06, 04:45 PM
I think the "Warforged don't need to eat, drink or breathe" means that to function they do not need to do those things and therefore are immune to starvation, dehydration, and suffocation.

However, I think the second part about not immune to effects would be like the Iron Gorgon's Petryfing Breath. A player might argue since it's a gas and the warforged doesn't need to breathe that it wouldn't inhale and would not become petryfied.

Remember Specific beats General.

chiasaur11
2008-06-06, 05:12 PM
Hey, it's by Chris Sims. Any connection to the internet's foremost comics blogger or just two guys with the same name?

If I could read the content it might be easier to guess, so if this thing goes up in a non insider area of the site later....
would be good to know.

Bosaxon
2008-06-06, 05:16 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080606b&authentic=true&pf=true

I think that should let download the zip.

chiasaur11
2008-06-06, 05:24 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080606b&authentic=true&pf=true

I think that should let download the zip.

Thanks.

Short Bio seems to say there's no connection between the Chris Simses.

Good to know.

Ecalsneerg
2008-06-06, 05:47 PM
So I don't need to grab anything I might ever find useful, will the free articles remain free after DDI goes up?

JaxGaret
2008-06-06, 08:49 PM
This is made of amazing. If all of the Dragons that are released for 4e are going to be in this vein, I will be quite pleased. Lots of good crunch, lots of nice flavor.

This gives me hope that the splatbooks will keep up the quality of Core, since this seems to be pretty much a seamless extension of 4e, unlike Dragon for 3e, where many DMs outright banned it.

Crossing my fingers in hopes that the Illusion article lives up to its promise :smallsmile:

SamTheCleric
2008-06-06, 10:30 PM
Wow, reading that article... maybe I -do- want to subscribe to D&DI... that's high quality stuff.

TheLoneCleric
2008-06-06, 10:44 PM
Wow, reading that article... maybe I -do- want to subscribe to D&DI... that's high quality stuff.

That and the Dark Sun info in the first article. Dark Sun. Mmmmmm. :smallcool:

JaxGaret
2008-06-06, 10:46 PM
That and the Dark Sun info in the first article. Dark Sun. Mmmmmm. :smallcool:

Dark Sun has a good chance to be one of the 4e Campaign Settings that are to be released; they will have one setting per year.

Bearonet
2008-06-06, 11:01 PM
How do I get *at* the dark sun info? I can only seem to get the Warforged and Yeenoghu stuff.

JaxGaret
2008-06-06, 11:12 PM
How do I get *at* the dark sun info? I can only seem to get the Warforged and Yeenoghu stuff.

The link is just a preview for Dragon 364, which is yet to be released.

ImperiousLeader
2008-06-06, 11:18 PM
That's all that's been posted, the other stuff will hopefully be posted over the next few weeks.

Mando Knight
2008-06-07, 09:18 AM
I got the idea of an Iron Man Warforged reading this... Armbows, Shoulderbows, Delver's Light embedded in the chest, Hot-Rod red with gold accents and faceplate... something embedded in the feet for flight...

I so wanna play the cool exec with a heart of steel...

Amazing Armor!
It's Iron Man!
A-blazing Power!
It's Iron Man!

EDIT: In case y'all were expecting, y'know, Black Sabbath (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S524O_XNoLM), brush up on old cartoon themes! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wn4iYoMcAA)