PDA

View Full Version : Optimize my VoP goblin diplomat!

monty
2008-06-06, 04:21 PM
I originally intended to play my cohort, a goblin cleric with the full Vow suite, as a healbuffbot, but after I noticed that he had an unbuffed Diplomacy bonus of +24 at level 4, I considered using that to my advantage.

Basic stats (I don't have the sheet with me, so this is just what I can remember off the top of my head:
Goblin Cloistered Cleric (spont variant) 4
Domains: Knowledge, Healing, Travel*
Str 12, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 19, Cha 18 (I convinced my DM that goblins' Cha penalty was stupid, via the link in my sig)
Feats (that I can remember): Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Vow of Nonviolence, Vow of Peace, Nymph's Kiss

Potential bonuses to Diplomacy, at the moment:
7 (ranks) + 6 (Cha with Eagle's Splendor) + 2 (synergy) + 3 circumstance (MW tools**) + 2 circumstance (Nymph's Kiss) + 2 perfection (Sacred Vow) + 4 exalted (Vow of Peace) + 2 unnamed (Fleeting Fame) + 4 competence (Bard***) = +32. I need another +8 somewhere to hit that magic 50 (the 150 for hostile to fanatic is probably still unreasonable at this point). So what else can I do that won't overlap?

Keep in mind that I've put almost no effort into optimizing this build for diplomacy; this just evolved from the original concept.

*I chose Travel because at high levels he's going to be the party's teleport bitch method of transportation, since the only arcane caster in the party, my primary character, will eventually have to ban Conjuration for Incantatrix.
**When we were buying magic items, the DM didn't want my goblin to feel left out, so he let me pick interesting clothes for him. I bought, among other things, a fedora and a leather jacket, and the DM liked Indy goblin enough that he let me count them as MW tools with a +3 bonus.
***House rule: if a bard rolls a 30 or higher on their Perform, bonuses are doubled. I'm assuming that the bard has enough ranks and bonuses to get a +20 to their Perform.

Duke of URL
2008-06-06, 04:39 PM
Marshal 1 for Skill Focus(diplomacy).

monty
2008-06-06, 04:59 PM
Couldn't I just take the feat normally? I don't like losing caster levels, especially when the character's already 2 levels behind the party.

Chronos
2008-06-06, 08:37 PM
The Negotiator feat is good for another +2 untyped (and also to Sense Motive).

And if incarnum is allowed, Shape Soulmeld (Silvertongue Mask) is another +2 insight, and Bonus Essentia would increase it to +6 insight.

Duke of URL
2008-06-09, 06:15 AM
Couldn't I just take the feat normally? I don't like losing caster levels, especially when the character's already 2 levels behind the party.

Do you have the feat to spare? Besides, it sounds like you're focusing on making him a diplomancer; caster levers are secondary.

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-09, 06:22 AM
If I'm honest, I'd say taking the feat normally would be a better idea (I agree with your views on losing Caster Levels). What do you mean about it being the spontaneous variant, and is it a Cloistered Cleric?

ZeroNumerous
2008-06-09, 07:59 AM
Marshal 1 for Skill Focus(diplomacy).

Uh.. That bonus is only secondary. The better diplomacy bonus is the Motivate Charisma aura, which doubles your Charisma bonus to Charisma checks and Charisma-based skill checks. It's worth the lost caster level for a diplomancer.

EDIT: Throwing out a dip in Warlock or Dragonfire Adept for Beguiling Influence, which is +6 Bluff/Diplomacy/Sense Motive for 24 hours. Dropping five skill points into Bluff or Sense Motive nets a +2 synergy bonus.

Duke of URL
2008-06-09, 08:47 AM
Good catch on the Marshal -- I forgot about that as I usually use Marshal 1 dips for the spell penetration aura, not the skill boosting ones.

And yes, Beguiling Influence may actually be the best Least invocation in the long run, because an untyped +6 to social skills rocks (unless your DM doesn't use social skills...). [See The Unseen would probably be my #2 choice, for sheer utility.]

monty
2008-06-09, 09:08 AM
If I'm honest, I'd say taking the feat normally would be a better idea (I agree with your views on losing Caster Levels). What do you mean about it being the spontaneous variant, and is it a Cloistered Cleric?

Spontaneous divine caster variant here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm). And yes, I forgot to say that he is a Cloistered Cleric.

Also, I didn't notice that aura. I think that might make it worth the level.