PDA

View Full Version : 4e clarifying modifiers

Yrnes
2008-06-06, 04:47 PM
Just picked up my 4E Players Handbook... I'm reading through cleric and by now I'm fairly confused.

When an ability or power calls for the use of a modifier (like Astral Vibrance on pg 72) do you use the base modifier (like... Charisma of 17 = 3) or the total modifier with half the character level (like 10th level character with Charisma of 17 = 8). It doesn't specify.

To the same effect, when an Attack calls for "Ability Score vs Reflex Save," which modifier am I looking for?

Sorry if these are repeats. I'm sure lots of people are thumbing through their books now.

Yrnes

PS What "combat advantage" is granted from the Blood and Radiance (pg 73) ability? It doesn't specify!

Tsotha-lanti
2008-06-06, 05:30 PM
Combat Advantage is Combat Advantage. Check out the combat rules.

And "ability modifier" is the ability modifier, not the "ability check modifier" (which is "½ level + ability modifier").

When you're making an attack based on an ability, you use the ability check modifier, since you're making an ability check.

Yrnes
2008-06-06, 05:37 PM
Thanks!

Although I admit that seems needless ambiguous- although I like the idea of checks that do damage scaling with level.

Yakk
2008-06-06, 05:39 PM
A Cha vs AC attack is (1/2 level + Cha Mod) + d20 vs AC roll.

In short, you get a bonus equal to 1/2 your level on ... pretty much all d20 rolls. This is a universal rule that isn't repeated everywhere.

Combat Advantage is a generic term: someone with combat advantage gets a +2 to hit, and Rogues with Combat Advantage can deal Sneak Attack damage. In essence, if you grant Combat Advantage to someone else, it means you are distracted or otherwise less able to defend yourself (prone against an adjacent melee attacker, flanked by two people threatening you, etc).

Tsotha-lanti
2008-06-06, 05:39 PM
I don't see what's ambiguous about it...