PDA

View Full Version : 4e: Multiclassing At-Will Powers?

JaxGaret
2008-06-07, 01:47 AM
The multiclass power swap feats allow you to swap out a daily, encounter, or utility power, but not an at-will power.

Does anyone think it would be unbalanced to allow the following feat, and why:

Apprentice Power
[Multiclass At-Will]
Prerequisites: Any class-specific multiclass feat, 2nd level
Benefit: You can swap one at-will attack power you know for one at-will attack power of the same level or lower from the class you multiclassed into.
You may only select this feat once.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not there would need to be some kind of drawback to the feat for it to be balanced?

EDIT: It's been pointed out that you get to do exactly this if you use Paragon Multiclassing.

I think that my thread is basically moot now, because I agree that that's a fine way to trade out an At-Will power.

Goober4473
2008-06-07, 02:02 AM
You get an at-will power as an encounter power when you take the class-specific multiclass feats. You could probably make further feats that get you any at-will pwoer as an encounter power, plus some other small benefit. Or maybe two at-will powers as encounter powers?

Zocelot
2008-06-07, 08:21 AM
I'd add it to the paragon multiclassing concept. It seems a bit underpowered at the moment, because it has the same amount of powers without any class features. Instead of class features at level 11, it would be ok to give the character a chance to swap at will powers.

ShaggyMarco
2008-06-07, 08:26 AM
I'd add it to the paragon multiclassing concept. It seems a bit underpowered at the moment, because it has the same amount of powers without any class features. Instead of class features at level 11, it would be ok to give the character a chance to swap at will powers.

That's actually exactly how Paragon Multiclassing works: You get to swap out an at-will and then you learn 3 upper-level powers from your multiclass instead of Paragon Powers.

Zocelot
2008-06-07, 10:00 AM
That's actually exactly how Paragon Multiclassing works: You get to swap out an at-will and then you learn 3 upper-level powers from your multiclass instead of Paragon Powers.

Whoops, I didn't realize that. I thought you just got the Encounter, Utility and Daily powers. The new system is taking time for me to learn.

Rutee
2008-06-07, 10:03 AM
Since At-Will powers are generally teh weakest, I don't see why there'd be a problem with taking an At-Will from your Multiclass.

JaxGaret
2008-06-07, 10:48 AM

Ah, indeed, I hadn't read the Paragon Multiclassing section. That makes sense.

I think that works better than using the homebrew feat that I outlined above.

ghost_warlock
2008-06-07, 11:33 PM
You get an at-will power as an encounter power when you take the class-specific multiclass feats. You could probably make further feats that get you any at-will pwoer as an encounter power, plus some other small benefit. Or maybe two at-will powers as encounter powers?

Okay, I have a warlock that I'm thinking about taking Arcane Initiate and then dipping a bit more into Wizard for a few other "spells" (e.g., ray of enfeeblement & disguise self). However, the level 1 At-Will Spells (cloud of daggers, magic missile, ray of frost, scorching burst, and thunderwave) don't really inspire me/don't fit thematically with my character/can already be replicated by warlock spells. Would it be RAW legal to take a cantrip, instead? The cantrips are, technically, 1st-level at-will wizard powers, but they're also Class Features so I'm not sure if that excludes them from the Arcane Initiate feat or not... :smallsigh: