PDA

View Full Version : Converting red hand of doom to 4th: what evil?

YPU
2008-06-07, 05:15 AM
My player have been wanting some adventuring with a little more plot in it, more plot then dungeon crawling that is (I have been running shattered gates of slaughtergarde) no I have given them a few clues on the scale and plot dept of the red hand of doom module, however we have decided to convert to 4th and start over. Now I will run a few fast encounters and pull up the party’s level quickly, and then start a reworked version of red hand. However I still need to decide on the big evil I should use. Red hand originally uses tiamat as big evil, but it ends with her aspect, now I could run it as it is and hope I can get some aspect of tiamat stats before they reach that point, or I could replace her with one of the two demon lords that are statted out, that would either be orcus, lord of undead or yeenoghu, beast of slaughter. The first I could still use the goblinoids of redhand and ad in some undead. The other I would need to replace al the goblins with gnolls, which is also cool. I suppose I would keep the dragons in there, as evil dragons serving in an invasion force of a demon lord works fine for me.
Anyhow, any suggestions on which one to use, what would fit best in your peoples opinion?

Xefas
2008-06-07, 06:04 AM
Aspect of Tiamat
Level 25 Solo Artillery (XP 35,000)
Huge Immortal Magical Beast (Dragon)
Initiative +18
Senses: Perception +24, Darkvision
HP 1,200; Bloodied 600
AC 41, Fortitude 40, Reflex 35, Will 38
Resist Fire 20, Cold 20, Lightning 20, Acid 20, Poison 20
Saving Throws +5
Action Points 2
Speed 6, Fly 8 (clumsy)
---
(B) Red Dragon Bite (standard; at-will) * Fire
Reach 3, +29 vs AC; 3d6+9 damage + 1d6 fire damage

(B) Blue Dragon Bite (standard; at-will) * Lightning
Reach 3, +29 vs AC; 3d6+9 damage + 1d6 lightning damage

(B) Green Dragon Bite (standard; at-will) * Poison
Reach 3, +29 vs AC; 3d6+9 damage + 1d6 poison damage

(B) Black Dragon Bite (standard; at-will) * Acid
Reach 3, +29 vs AC; 3d6+9 damage + 1d6 acid damage

(B) White Dragon Bite (standard; at-will) * Cold
Reach 3, +29 vs AC; 3d6+9 damage + 1d6 cold damage

(M) Five Heads (standard; at-will) * Fire, Lightning, Poison, Acid, Cold
The Aspect of Tiamat makes five bite attacks; one with each head. If the Aspect hits a single target with 3 or more heads, they open a deadly wound, causing the target to take 15 ongoing damage (save ends).

(R) Spit Fireball (minor; at-will) * Fire
Ranged 20; +30 vs Reflex; 2d6+11 fire damage and ongoing 10 fire damage (save ends)

(R) Bolt of Lightning (minor; at-will) * Lightning
Ranged 20; +30 vs Reflex; 3d6+11 lightning damage and the target is pushed 2 squares

(C) Poisonous Exhalation (minor; at-will) * Poison
Close Blast 5; +30 vs Fortitude; 10 ongoing poison damage (save ends)

(R) Acid Jet (minor; at-will) * Acid
Ranged 20; +30 vs Fortitude; 2d6+11 acid damage and -2 to AC (save ends)

(C) Ice Breath (minor; at-will) * Cold
Close Blast 5; +30 vs Fortitude; 2d6 cold damage and the target is slowed for 1 round

(M) Tail Slap (immediate reaction when the Aspect is struck by a melee attack; at-will)
+29 vs AC; 2d6+8 damage
---
Alignment: Evil
Languages: Common, Draconic, Supernal, Abyssal
Str 28, Con 32, Dex 22, Int 20, Wis 24, Cha 28

RTGoodman
2008-06-07, 12:19 PM
Curse you, Xefas, and your quick homebrewing! :smallwink: I was going to write up the Aspect sometime this afternoon!

Actually, I'm still going to write a lower-level one up, but my 4E RHoD conversion is starting at ECL 8 and will probably going ot somewhere around 15 or so (though I'm not certain and won't be until I've finished).

YPU, if you're playing a high enough level to use Xefas's aspect, it looks fine to me. Actually, the only thing I would add is an ability (recharge 5, 6) that lets the Aspect attack with all 5 heads as a standard action. [Apparently I can't read. Nevermind. :smallredface:]

For more of the adventure, you can really just use different sorts of Hobgoblins and Bugbears, since you can just take stats and add on PC templates or other functional templates (bodyguard, etc.) to make the tougher. Dragons come in a variety of levels, so that'll work fine. For the Dragonspawn, you'll have to wait for a later supplement or wait until someone homebrews them. (I won't get to that part for a while.)

Xefas
2008-06-07, 08:06 PM
Curse you, Xefas, and your quick homebrewing! :smallwink:

I can't help it. Homebrewing for 4th edition is just so fun.

Actually, I'm still going to write a lower-level one up, but my 4E RHoD conversion is starting at ECL 8 and will probably going ot somewhere around 15 or so (though I'm not certain and won't be until I've finished).

I've never played the Red Hand of Doom, so I don't know what level range it is. I based the level off of the Aspect of Orcus, which is a level 24 Elite.

Orcus is a demon prince. Tiamat is a god. I figured the leap from Elite to Solo was warranted.

RTGoodman
2008-06-07, 10:43 PM
Well, the original adventure is for levels 5 or 6 through 12 (or so). The Aspect as it appears is indeed a solo encounter (i.e., it fights the PCs by itself), and is a CR 13. Mine'll probably end with the PCs as level 15 or thereabouts, but since the encounter with the Aspect is basically a continuation of the last encounter (i.e., not time for a rest to regain encounter powers, and certainly not daily powers), I'll probably just make it a Solo Artillery of the average party level or maybe a level higher.

Also, I asked this question in the Simple Q&A by RAW thread, but I didn't get an answer, so maybe someone that sees this thread will know. If you create an NPC using the rules for NPC creation on pages 186-88 of the DMG, is the NPC created a standard creature, an Elite creature, or a Solo creature? I kinda need to know so I can stat out the 5 various Wyrmlords and the Ghostlord.