PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Gestalt

Yakk
2008-06-07, 01:20 PM
Gestalt characters are intended for a slightly higher power level of D&D. It increases character flexibility slightly more than power.

Each character selects two classes. These can use the same power source, or use a different power source.

A unified class is produces as follows:
Armor Proficiencies: Merge
Weapon Proficiencies: Merge
Bonus to Defense: Sum
HP at First Level: Best + 1/2 of other. You don't get to add 1.5 times your Con stat, however.
HP per level gained: Best + 1/2 of other.
Healing Surges per Day: Average of your two classes, rounded up. (They are, after all, larger surges).
Trained Skills: Unify the list. Skills known is Best, +1/2 of the other class (auto-skills must be taken, and count as a skill known).

Class Features: You gain all class features from both classes. These bonuses add -- so Rogue Weapon Talent and Fighter Weapon Talent means that a Rogue//Fighter can get +2 to hit with Daggers.

If these Class Features select an at-will power, that counts towards your at-will power count.

At-will powers: You have 3 at-will powers to use, and must have at least 1 from each class (ie, 2/1 or 1/2). In addition, at-will power damage scales up to 2 dice at level 11, and 3 dice at level 21.

Basic Attacks: Do 2 dice at level 11, and 3 dice at level 21.

Per-encounter attack powers: You select your per-encounter powers from either classes list. Your per-encounter power selection must be balanced -- no more than 1 extra from a given class.

Utility powers: You gain a Utility powers from either classes list.

Per-day attack powers: You select your per-day powers from either classes list. Your per-day attack power selection must be balanced -- no more than 1 extra from a given class.

Paragon Path: You select a single paragon path from either class at level 11.

Epic Destiny: You select a single epic destiny at level 21.

Advancement: (in addition to the standard abilities)
At level 4, gain 1 encounter attack power and 1 utility power.
At level 8, gain 1 daily attack power and 1 utility power.
At level 14, gain 1 encounter attack power.
At level 18, replace 1 daily attack power and gain 1 utility power.
At level 24, replace 1 encounter attack power and gain 1 utility power.
At level 28, replace 1 daily attack power and gain 1 encounter attack power.
At level 30, gain 1 daily attack power.

By level 30, you have +1 at will, +4 utilities, +3 encounter attacks and +2 daily attacks.
3/7/6/10 instead of 2/4/4/6 W/E/D/U

You'll have a capstone daily and encounter from each class. You have one utility power from each class at each "tier", delayed slightly.

Multiclassing: Multiclass feats are barred. You are already heavily multiclassed, don't get greedy!

Action Points: You may spent 2 action points per encounter instead of 1, but no more than 1 per round. You should gain 1 action point after every encounter, reset to 1 after a long rest.

Minor Actions: You have 2 minor actions per round instead of 1.

Saving Throws: You gain a +2 gesalt bonus to saving throws.

---

In essence, this turns your character into an "elite" PC. I'd estimate that your character might be worth 1.5x XP-equiv for the purposes of encounter balancing (ie, a party of 3 instead of a party of 5, same level, fighting the same encounters).

Concerns:
Did I boost toughness too much? I didn't like the 3e gesalt "ignore the features of the weaker class".

Do the encounter powers get replaced often enough? I swapped a "replace encounter" with a "gain encounter power", it could lead to having level 1 encounter powers around too long...

Does this encourage "I'm a tank//tank" behavior too much? A Fighter//Paladin, double-defending, or a Rogue//Warlock, Cleric//Warlord, might be too optimal, while things like Fighter//Warlord or Rogue//Fighter might be avoided.