PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Diablo 1 Question

JakeAV
2008-06-07, 01:55 PM
Hey guys, I've got a question regarding the first Diablo game. I wasn't sure whether there would be any active help forums for D1 but, having lurked here a little bit, I got the sense that some among you would probably be able to help me out, if anyone can.
So I'm running a solo game, and it's the first time I've played any substantial amount of D1 (though I was a HUGE fan of D2 and played it constantly for a couple of years). I'm on the tenth level. I was being swarmed by a buttload of big ugly dudes and I was inevitably gonna die, so rather than wait it out I decided to hit Load Game and just go back to my last save. Problem: I accidentally hit Save Game. At exactly the instant of my death.
Needless to say, whenever I load my file, I witness my own death without even time enough for a keystroke to open a portal. Is there any way to fix this and continue this file, or is this character doomed to eternally die?
Thanks for any help you can offer, though I doubt there's anything that can be done...

Kane
2008-06-07, 02:21 PM
If you are sufficiently skilled in ninja-ing your computer, I'm fairly certain that despite my lack of knowledge, you could edit your save game information to give your character +25 health or whatever. Enough to let you warp out as you said.

Mind you, I wouldn't know how to DO it, it just seems a possibility to me.

hajo
2008-06-07, 02:24 PM
I accidentally hit Save Game. At exactly the instant of my death. .. Is there any way to fix this ?
You have no other savegame backed up ?

Otherwise, google for "diablo1 editor", "diablo1 trainer", etc.

Pronounceable
2008-06-07, 04:13 PM
Presumably, there's some trainer or something that gives invulnerability or +1000k health and whatnot which might work. Then again, restarting and going down to level 10 shouldn't be that hard.

Glyphic
2008-06-07, 04:17 PM
I can't remember if It's Diablo or Hellfire (Sierra's expansion), but when you're selecting "Load game" after picking your hero, there should be an option for new game. The dungeon will be reset, you'll keep your stuff, and everything. You'll be in town, just like the beginning.

I think Hellfire also allows you to change difficulty. So you can have Nightmare or hell on single player.

JakeAV
2008-06-08, 09:30 AM
When you're selecting "Load game" after picking your hero, there should be an option for new game. The dungeon will be reset, you'll keep your stuff, and everything. You'll be in town, just like the beginning.

Oh wow, I didn't know I could do that. Thanks, that's really helpful. At level 17, making my way back down to tenth floor should be a piece of cake.

Holammer
2008-06-13, 06:53 AM
Damn you to hell for this thread, now I have a sudden urge to install the game again, and I've been clean for years! :smallwink:
(now where is that CD?)

Sensate
2008-06-13, 07:31 AM
Damn you to hell for this thread, now I have a sudden urge to install the game again, and I've been clean for years! :smallwink:
(now where is that CD?)

Gah, tell me about it. It's one of the first real games I've played, at the time the atmosphere seemed incredibly frightening and gloomy, I don't think I've ever felt that way with Diablo 2. @OP: I envy your Diablo-untouched mind, something I can never get back :smallamused:.

Glyphic
2008-06-13, 05:48 PM
I never uninstalled it. It's really a fantastic game :smallbiggrin:

If anyone is interested, I wouldn't mind jumping on B.Net and hacking up some demons. I'd be especially interested in getting together a group for Ironman Diablo.

Ironman diablo being a very.. frugal method of play. The party only interacts with the town at the start of the game, sharing gold to buy potions and armor and things. From there on out, it's them and the dungeon, duking it out. Typically played with one of each class.

Halvormerlinaky
2008-06-21, 03:03 AM
Oh, the memories.

I got Diablo and played it straight through over Memorial Day weekend. This was in 2001, so it was a bit dated. But I loved it. The night I finished it the nearest McDonalds was burned down by someone claiming to be part of ELF. I never even noticed the sirens. The next day I bought D2. The day after that I ordered a new PC so I could really enjoy it. That was Sept 10.

Needless to say, I'll probably never forget my first foray into Diablo.

Narmoth
2008-06-21, 04:32 AM
Oh wow, I didn't know I could do that. Thanks, that's really helpful. At level 17, making my way back down to tenth floor should be a piece of cake.

Eh? when you make a new game, you make a new game. You keep the character and all his stuff. But the dungeon map is new, and you won't find the same tenth floor on your way back.

Griemont
2008-06-22, 11:35 PM
Eh? when you make a new game, you make a new game. You keep the character and all his stuff. But the dungeon map is new, and you won't find the same tenth floor on your way back.

No, he means that he'll be able to return to that level easily now that he's 17th level (as opposed to replaying the game), and might even get stronger.