PDA

View Full Version : Can Durkon raise Roy?

AMJ
2008-06-07, 04:16 PM
I get that Durkon must have high enough level and have access to raise dead but back in 286 http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0286.html V informs Belkar that Durkon does not have diamonds worth 5000 gp to use for raise dead.
Do we have any proof that Durkon has come into possession of diamonds or is this a case of Rich planning ahead or what?

This question has been nagging me a while and finally I have registrered to be able to ask it. If the topic has been discussed before then I am sorry, but I did not find out where.

AMJ

Sir_Elderberry
2008-06-07, 04:44 PM
5000gp is a lot, but not an insurmountable amount. The OotS could get it with some adventuring (which might be a small plot arc). Considering his value to the good guys, the Azure City treasury might help a bit as well.

The Extinguisher
2008-06-07, 04:51 PM
I'm sure Redcloak would be all about providing the money for the rez from the Azure City treasury. :smallamused:

Sir_Elderberry
2008-06-07, 05:43 PM
I'm sure Redcloak would be all about providing the money for the rez from the Azure City treasury. :smallamused:

Ah, didn't think of that. Nobody thought to grab all the gold before they evacuated? Haley's lost her touch.

Chronos
2008-06-07, 05:45 PM
Besides which, the body is currently in the custody of a 14th or 15th level rogue. Sure, she's broke now, but she'd have to actively try to not end up with that much value of items in whatever form she wants before meeting up with the rest of the party.

Lira
2008-06-07, 07:08 PM
Well, in 504 Durkon says, "If'n I had his corpse, I'd raise 'im this instant (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0504.html)". That seems to imply that he has the diamonds now, right? Otherwise he wouldn't be able to "raise 'im this instant".

David Argall
2008-06-07, 10:22 PM
Well, in 504 Durkon says, "If'n I had his corpse, I'd raise 'im this instant (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0504.html)". That seems to imply that he has the diamonds now, right? Otherwise he wouldn't be able to "raise 'im this instant".

The expression is not limited to technical truth. Indeed, even with the diamonds, etc, Durkon can't raise him that instant. The spell takes 10 minutes to cast. So the expression actually means "as soon as I can", which could mean he doesn't have the diamonds, but hopes he can get them in a short time if needed.

Morgan Wick
2008-06-08, 12:34 AM
The expression is not limited to technical truth. Indeed, even with the diamonds, etc, Durkon can't raise him that instant. The spell takes 10 minutes to cast. So the expression actually means "as soon as I can", which could mean he doesn't have the diamonds, but hopes he can get them in a short time if needed.

But why wouldn't he say, even as an added aside, "An' the diamonds"?

Although it's quite possible it'll turn out he doesn't have the diamonds and forgot he'd need them.

Or the diamonds were Haley's and Durkon didn't count on Haley pawning them?

factotum
2008-06-08, 12:37 AM
Just to note, it is no longer possible for Durkon to use Raise Dead--it has a time limit of one day per caster level, and Roy has been dead a LOT longer than the couple of weeks that would imply. It would require Resurrection, which needs twice as many diamonds--10,000gp worth.

As for why Durkon might have them now when he didn't earlier, one assumes he might have persuaded Hinjo to cough up the diamonds in exchange for all the help the OotS gave during and after the sack of Azure City.

Killersquid
2008-06-08, 12:45 AM
Just to note, it is no longer possible for Durkon to use Raise Dead--it has a time limit of one day per caster level, and Roy has been dead a LOT longer than the couple of weeks that would imply. It would require Resurrection, which needs twice as many diamonds--10,000gp worth.

As for why Durkon might have them now when he didn't earlier, one assumes he might have persuaded Hinjo to cough up the diamonds in exchange for all the help the OotS gave during and after the sack of Azure City.

Was just about to say, he better get out the big guns.

Arkenputtyknife
2008-06-08, 03:48 AM
Do we have any proof that Durkon has come into possession of diamonds or is this a case of Rich planning ahead or what?
Not with diamonds. He's going to need at least a full house to raise Roy without a bluff.

AceOfFools
2008-06-08, 09:46 AM
I'm pretty sure that the azure city treasury has the diamonds for resurrection (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0410.html). It's not like their going to abandon spell components that valuable.

factotum
2008-06-08, 10:46 AM
I'm pretty sure that the azure city treasury has the diamonds for resurrection (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0410.html). It's not like their going to abandon spell components that valuable.

All that proves is that they had 5000gp of diamonds at that point. Since those diamonds would have been used up by the Raise Dead spell (even if it failed), they don't have that particular diamond anymore, so that strip proves nothing.

David Argall
2008-06-08, 03:01 PM
All that proves is that they had 5000gp of diamonds at that point. Since those diamonds would have been used up by the Raise Dead spell (even if it failed), they don't have that particular diamond anymore, so that strip proves nothing.

"Proves", true. indicates strongly, a very different story. On the evidence on hand, we are best off assuming that Durkon deems the diamonds no more than a routine problem. He may not have them to hand, but he assumes he can get them at need with only minor fuss.

Lupy
2008-06-08, 04:17 PM
I think Haley can get the diamonds, I mean, she's level 14 and she'll be in Cliffport. If she can't, the azure nobles have the diamonds for certain, wouldn't it be funny if Elan asked Therkla for them and she had to steal them from Kubota?

Roderick_BR
2008-06-08, 04:29 PM
They were under arrest, and had no means of aquiring one at the time. Now, they could try to find one. They could even already have some by now.
So, yeah, Durkon just need to reach Roy's corpse.

Liwen
2008-06-08, 10:24 PM
Possibility : Roy gets a True Ressurection for someone we don't even know about yet because Roy owned money to that one mysterious individual. The cost of the spell is added to Roy's debt.

Jimorian
2008-06-09, 01:23 AM
Not that it will change what The Giant was planning on doing with this part of the story, but I'm curious: what are the 4E rules about raise dead/resurrection/whatever?