PDA

View Full Version : Improvised fighter [3.5]

Xyk
2008-06-07, 04:21 PM
I would like to make a halfling who basically scraped by his whole life, not carrying weapons around with him. If he was in a tavern and needed to fight, he would fight with whatever was handy, whether it was a bottle or the knife in some guys belt. How would I go about making a character that has a wide variety of proficiencies, wear little or no armor, and the ability to survive in a city. He needs a wide variety of skills and weapons (including improvised). He is very poor, but I'm not sure about VoP becaus exalted is really hard for me to roleplay.

Hunter Noventa
2008-06-07, 04:53 PM
You want to be a Drunken Master, a Monk-based prestige class found in Complete Warrior. They're proficient in improvised weapons exactly as you describe, and can do fun things with booze, like breathe fire.

That's about as close as you're going to get without convincing your DM to let you take things like Weapon Focus: Improvised Weapons.

To get proficiency in other weapons, you'd just need a single level of fighter.

Ned the undead
2008-06-07, 05:08 PM
Fear My +5 Flaming Keen Bucket!

Occasional Sage
2008-06-07, 05:31 PM
Also, perhaps Improved Disarm, to beat down opponents with their own weapon, only to discard it in favor of a nice stout chair? Might aas well take advantage of being bare-handed!

CASTLEMIKE
2008-06-07, 05:38 PM
Consider the SRD Thug variant for levels prior to PRCing.

Fighter Variant: Thug
The thug is a street fighter, a survivor who learns to mix brute force with a bit of craftiness. He has most of the fighter's strengths, along with some additional skills to help keep him alive on the mean streets. Despite the name, not all thugs are mere hooligans—many are crafty veterans who use their knowledge of the streets to gain an advantage against their opponents.

Most thugs are nonlawful, though sometimes gangs of thugs with a lawful streak band together.

Class Skills
Add the following skills to the fighter's class skill list: Bluff, Gather Information, Knowledge (local), and Sleight of Hand. The thug gains skill points per level equal to 4 + Int modifier (and has this number x4 at 1st level).

Class Features
The thug has all the standard fighter class features, except as noted below.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Thugs are proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with light armor.

Bonus Feats
A thug doesn't gain the normal fighter bonus feat at 1st level. Also, add Urban Tracking to the list of fighter bonus feats available to the thug.

Xyk
2008-06-07, 05:56 PM
I hadn't thought of the thug. Also it's sleight of hand class skill plays in nicely. Pity there is no stealth, but they are able to be used untrained. That should work. No drunken master, but I might beg my DM to allow me to take Weapon proficiency (Improvised) as a fighter feat. Treating improvised weapons as their weapon counterpart at no penalty.

marjan
2008-06-07, 06:23 PM
If you find lack of sneaky skills, you can also mix in a few levels of Urban Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rangerVariantUrbanRang er). it should fit in without problems.

bosssmiley
2008-06-08, 06:51 AM
Check out the Paizo "Pathfinder RPG" (3.P) Alpha release for the feat named Razor Sharp Chair Leg (improvised weapon joy). :smallbiggrin:

Dhavaer
2008-06-08, 07:05 AM
Isn't there an Improvised Weapon Proficiency feat? In Complete Warrior, or Cityscape, or osmewhere?

Xyk
2008-06-08, 10:14 AM
Isn't there an Improvised Weapon Proficiency feat? In Complete Warrior, or Cityscape, or osmewhere?

Not in either of those books. I'm gonna check all the ones that make any sense.

Hal
2008-06-08, 02:48 PM
Sounds like some good suggestions across the board. I can only add that if Weapon Proficiency (Improvised) doesn't exist, I'd allow it as a DM. It's not going to overpower a campaign by a longshot. I'd laugh when you get Greater Magic Weapon or Holy Sword cast on your weapons. Heck, even Brambles would be amusing.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-06-08, 02:56 PM
Awhile ago, I was planning on making a tavern brawler, but never got around to it. Anyways, I was considering using Fax_Celetis' class the Brawler, found here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11110

This seems like it would be a good choice for you.