PDA

View Full Version : 4e Weapons/Armor

brian c
2008-06-07, 05:42 PM
Just going through the tables in the PHB, it seems like 4e weapons and armor are much more balanced than in 3e. You know what I mean, that there was a definitively best armor of each type, and that every optimized melee fighter used a greatsword (or maybe greataxe, unless you used a spiked chain). However, the weapons in 4e all have different benefits for trade-offs, and so do the armor. It seems like people might actually choose among several without there being a definite best and worst.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-07, 05:54 PM
Just going through the tables in the PHB, it seems like 4e weapons and armor are much more balanced than in 3e. You know what I mean, that there was a definitively best armor of each type, and that every optimized melee fighter used a greatsword (or maybe greataxe, unless you used a spiked chain). However, the weapons in 4e all have different benefits for trade-offs, and so do the armor. It seems like people might actually choose among several without there being a definite best and worst.

I'd think again.

The short story is: You want the biggest weapon you can get. Damage dice is everything, so a Bastard Sword or greatsword is beaten and kicked in the groin by a flail or maul.

Xaros
2008-06-07, 07:01 PM
I'd think again.

The short story is: You want the biggest weapon you can get. Damage dice is everything, so a Bastard Sword or greatsword is beaten and kicked in the groin by a flail or maul.

Even though you're swinging at -1 to hit (vs. the blades)? Not to mention Heavy Blade Opportunity at level 11. Then again, I could be missing something (or I'm not doing the math right).

Zocelot
2008-06-07, 07:06 PM
High crit is mediocre because the dice isn't even maximized, reach is now completely useless, off hand is weak because rangers can use any one hand, versatile is also weak, because fighters have to choose between one hand and two hands anyway, so they will pick up a weapon based on that.

The only thing that really matters with weapons is proficiency bonus and damage dice, except for fighters, who get their abilities based on their weapon.

Armor is much better balanced now though. For heavy armour, you have to choose between plate mail for a slightly higher AC and Scale mail for better mobility.
With light armour, spellcasters will probably take hide, because they have nothing better to sink feats into. Other light armor characters will take it too. Only skill monkeys will take leather, because of the lack of a check penalty.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-07, 07:10 PM
Even though you're swinging at -1 to hit (vs. the blades)? Not to mention Heavy Blade Opportunity at level 11. Then again, I could be missing something (or I'm not doing the math right).

Even so. Hit is overrated. And Heavy Blade opportunity doesn't change much. Put simply, bludgeoning weapons are better.

Edea
2008-06-07, 07:25 PM
With light armour, spellcasters will probably take hide, because they have nothing better to sink feats into. Other light armor characters will take it too. Only skill monkeys will take leather, because of the lack of a check penalty.

You need a base Str of 13 to get Hide Armor proficiency, as well as already being trained with Leather Armor to begin with. The Con 13 requirement is no biggie at all (any spellcaster with a Con significantly lower than that is...going to be an interesting play experience), but that Str req -SUCKS-. Leather is free of stat requirements.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-07, 07:27 PM
You need a base Str of 13 to get Hide Armor proficiency, as well as already being trained with Leather Armor to begin with. The Con 13 requirement is no biggie at all (any spellcaster with a Con significantly lower than that is...going to be an interesting play experience), but that Str req -SUCKS-. Leather is free of stat requirements.

Indeed. There's no real reason to pick up Hide, since you already get Bloodcut with Leather.

Moff Chumley
2008-06-07, 07:28 PM
However, only in specific builds. And, of course, lets not forget the joys of dual wielding... :smallcool:

wodan46
2008-06-07, 07:32 PM
What's the attitude on ranged weapons? Longbow seems to be strictly better than the other bows simply for its damage dice, maybe it requires lots of proficiency to make up for it.

From what I understand, Regular Crossbows do d8s and require a minor action to reload, while Hand Crossbows do d6s and can be reloaded as a free action. If true, then ranged rogues have to decide whether or not a minor action and more weight is worth the +1 average damage.

Artanis
2008-06-07, 07:41 PM
Shortbow: Halflings can actually use them.

Crossbow: Rogue ranged Powers use XBows, so the XBow lets them use powers that the Longbow doesn't.

Hand Crossbow: Rogue-usable like the basic XBow, but it's Load Free, saving your Minor Action for that turn. FWIW, it being one-handed means you can keep both it and your melee weapon out at the same time until the Hand XBow needs to be reloaded (which takes two hands).

Sling: Uh...lemme check on this one. It being in a different weapon group might have some benefit.

Zocelot
2008-06-07, 09:10 PM
What's the attitude on ranged weapons? Longbow seems to be strictly better than the other bows simply for its damage dice, maybe it requires lots of proficiency to make up for it.

From what I understand, Regular Crossbows do d8s and require a minor action to reload, while Hand Crossbows do d6s and can be reloaded as a free action. If true, then ranged rogues have to decide whether or not a minor action and more weight is worth the +1 average damage.

Damage dice matter significantly more in 4e, because many powers use X[W].
Also, there is something much more aesthetic about rolling Xd8 instead of Xd6
It probably comes from the fact that a very large percentage of spells in 3.5e used d6s