PDA

View Full Version : 4th Edition Nyss from IK

Ceiling009
2008-06-07, 09:32 PM
I really love the IK setting, and more so their obligatory Elves. So I decided to try to port over my favorite Elf to 4E. Even though they're elves, I'm not treating them as such, so they can't take any of the Elf Racials, just like Eladrin or Drow.

Nyss
RACIAL TRAITS
Average Height: 5΄ 5?–6΄ 2?
Average Weight: 130–190 lb.
Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution
Size: Medium
Speed: 7 squares
Vision: Low-light
Languages: Common (Cygnaran), Aeric
Skill Bonuses: +2 Perception, +2 Stealth
Nyss Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the Nyss Claymore and Nyss Longbow (Longbow).
Natural Connection: You are automatically trained in Nature
Winter's Mark: You gain racial resistance 5 + half level to cold damage.
Winter's Edge: You can use Winter's Edge as an Encounter power.

Winter's Edge
Encounter ✦ Cold
Minor Action Personal
Effect: On your next attack, if you hit, you deal additional Dexterity modifier cold damage. If you miss, you still deal Dexterity modifier cold damage to the target.

Weapons

Nyss Claymore
Superior Melee Weapon, Two-Handed
Proficiency: +3
Damage: 1d12
Range: -
Price: Special* (1000 gp)
Weight: 8lbs
Group: Heavy Blades
Properties: High Crit, Special*
Special*: These blades are only made for Nyss of high standing, and it’s very rare that adventurers would ever be able to purchase one. For Nyss who are specially trained, they may treat these claymores are light blades, due to their special construction.

Racial Feats

Heroic

Shard Protector [Nyss]
Prerequisite: Nyss
Benefit: You gain a +2 to proficiency and damage when you use Winter's Edge.

Artic Assassin [Nyss]
Prerequisite: Nyss
Benefit: You may treat the Nyss Claymore as a light blade

Paragon

Nyssor's Wrath [Nyss]
Prerequisite: Nyss, Shard Protector
Benefit: When you strike a foe with Winter's Edge they are stunned,(save ends).

What do you guys think? For those familiar with the Setting, do you think it works with the spirit or at least looks like a good port? And for those who aren't familiar with the setting, what do you think over all?

Edit: the claymore and feats slightly changed.
Edit 2: Changed out Winter's Edge, I think it works better like, sort like a smite... also changed out the feats, and gave the a level scaling Cold Resistance, these guys aren't called Winter Elves for nothing.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-07, 09:35 PM
The Claymore's b0rked. It shouldn't be a light blade, full stop.

Also, change the power to have a base independent of W, because some classes don't use weapons.

Ceiling009
2008-06-07, 10:02 PM
Actually, all do; and the only time they won't be is when they're using implements; but then again, why bother using it? I could probably go with giving that effect as a encounter power to any attack. The Claymore is slightly... out of line, but I'm changing it to a little bit.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-07, 10:17 PM
Even then, change it. A wizard has NO use for weapons whatsoever, he DOESN'T have them. Give it 1d6 per tier.

Now that you need two feats the claymore is more balanced. It's still too powerful, but it's better now. Maybe give it a proficiency bonus of 0 and a penalty for being nonproficient, and it should be balanced.

Ceiling009
2008-06-07, 10:58 PM
No... I think penalties from non-proficiency is going against something inherent in 4e... It's a damn good weapon for sure, I might lower it to 1d12 instead of 2d6.
But the thing about the power is that it's tied to a weapon, cause you seriously are never unarmed, as even an unarmed strike still works, a wizard could feasibly punch someone you know... But I'll contemplate it.

How about if I change it to...
Winter's Edge
Encounter ✦ Cold
Minor Action
Effect: One your next attack, if you hit, you deal additional cold damage equal to Dexterity modifier. If you miss, you still deal cold damage equal to your Dexterity modifier.

Moff Chumley
2008-06-08, 08:54 PM
Very nice, I shall bookmark and present to the rabble players.