PDA

View Full Version : druid/ranger variants

Stycotl
2008-06-08, 12:15 AM
what's a good animal companion variant out there for a stealthy, sniper/sneak-attacker that doesn't want a pet rock hanging around?

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-08, 02:21 AM
This could be useful to you for general variants which could fit with what you want: http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf .

Stycotl
2008-06-08, 11:45 AM
yeah, thanks. i should have clarified that i am looking for stuff outside of crystalkeep and the srd. hmmm, as of now it looks like my best variant is the solitary hunter route. but that is just a measley bonus to hit from favored enemies... no one knows of anything better to trade animal companion for?

EDIT: well, there is the distracting attack variant for the ranger. the way i read it though, the flanked status does not apply to me, just to my allies, which negates any usefulness i might get out of it from my rogue levels.

Stycotl
2008-06-10, 10:02 AM
bump. anyone?

Epinephrine
2008-06-10, 03:58 PM
You might try the spiritual guide variant from Complete Champion. Gives benefits in natural environments; not combat related, but handy.

Stycotl
2008-06-10, 05:42 PM
sadly, complete champion is one of the books i yet lack. is it posted anywhere on the web that you know of, like a wizards excerpt or something?

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-06-10, 08:06 PM
Umm... why don't you want an animal companion? Wolf companion is on the list of things to get right off the bat, and it can flank for you, giving you all kinds of sneak attacks.

Furthermore, if you are looking for sneaky ranger type without animal companion, may I point you in the direction of the Scout? It gets something which is mechancally very close to sneak attack, gets Trapfinding, and a whole bunch of nature/wilderness type stuff. Furthermore, with Greater Manyshot, the additional dice of damage can be applied on every shot, making the damage potential to be huge.

Stycotl
2008-06-10, 09:04 PM
Umm... why don't you want an animal companion? Wolf companion is on the list of things to get right off the bat, and it can flank for you, giving you all kinds of sneak attacks.

Furthermore, if you are looking for sneaky ranger type without animal companion, may I point you in the direction of the Scout? It gets something which is mechancally very close to sneak attack, gets Trapfinding, and a whole bunch of nature/wilderness type stuff. Furthermore, with Greater Manyshot, the additional dice of damage can be applied on every shot, making the damage potential to be huge.

because it doesn't fit his personality or concept, basically. i considered it; cohorts are cool, but it doesn't fit him.

i love scouts. i probably play more scouts than anything else. but, this time i'm playing a rogue/ranger.

Epinephrine
2008-06-11, 03:39 PM
sadly, complete champion is one of the books i yet lack. is it posted anywhere on the web that you know of, like a wizards excerpt or something?

Not by WotC. If I were looking for it I'd google search on the enworld forum or something, with something like:

"spiritual guide" site:www.enworld.org/forums