PDA

View Full Version : Gunmonk and Gunkata

ImpFireball
2008-06-08, 01:26 AM
In modern, are we allowed to make 'gunkata' a feat?

I mean... get this:

Race: Human
Class: Gunmonk (something I invented! Bear with me here...)
Feats:
1st: Quickdraw, Two-weapon Fighting, Rapid Shot, Double Tap, Rapid Reload (2 bonus feats for flaws, just bear with me...)
2nd: Point Blank Shot
3rd: Weapon Focus (pistol)
4th: Precise Shot
6th: Improved Critical, Weapon Specialization (pistol)
8th: Skill focus (spot)
9th: Skill focus (search)
10th: Skill focus (listen)
12th: Combat Reflexes, Evasion
14th: Improved Evasion
15th: Improved Two Weapon Fighting
16th: Many Shot
18th: Greater Two Weapon Fighting, Perfect Two Weapon Fighting
19th: Twin Tap (Double tap once each for more than one weapon per round on full attack; effectively double amount of attacks)
20th: Gunkata (double attack rate on full attack and lowered AC, double damage on less attacks, improved critical threat that stacks with improved critical; improves with greater weapon focus and specialization with chosen weapons; may use ranged weapons as melee instruments that deal melee damage during attacking round and add to ranged attacks; may add deflection bonus equal AC bonus taken from weapon expertise; may avoid ranged attacks completely when running; may make intuition checks to AoO players who just fall into line of sight after previous concealment or even after entering the room (if they wield ranged weapons); may negate attacks from full attack round to completely deflect players who attack with ranged ranged weapons within reach of your character (lightning reflexes can double this intuitive reach, but only for this ability!); Gunkata operates like a single stance that requires the user to meditate for 1 hour each day that they wish to operate in the stance (once they've meditated, then they may flex their uber gunkata prowess)

Prereqs for Gunkata: Gunmonk class, int 25, dex 25, wis 30, skill focus feat taken in listen, spot and search, evasion and improved evasion, race: human (if not human, then improved initiative feat must be taken)

Gunmonk class allows(!!!): Bonus feat each level (until higher odds such as 5th, 7th, etc. as well as two bonus feats every six levels; no time for a table people, there's actual business to be done!); weapon focus and specialization can be taken but only with ranged weapons; HD: 1d8; wisdom adds to AC; must be unarmored to gain benefits (such as flurry of muzzle flashes); flurry of muzzle flashes adds an additional attack with a ranged weapon (may be affected by reload times), which at fifth level does not require a full round to perform; at 10th level, this becomes greater flurry of muzzle flashes which adds 3 additional attacks in total, which at 20th doesn't require a full round action to perform. Gunmonk sacrifices all of the traits of an ordinary monk to acquire these.

Unique Abilities of Gunmonk (that inevitably apply to class without sacrificing bonus feats):

- Flurry of Muzzle Flashes (1st level)
- Greater Flurry of Muzzle Flashes (10th level)
- Wall Kick (4th level) (use a wall to prevent from being cornered and add double dexterity or strength bonus to jump check to reach square away from enemy (player choice); a wall kick is a reflex save)
- Shot on the Run (the gunmonk gains this at 6th level without pre-reqs; flurry of muzzle flashes can be performed during SotR if the gun monk is a high enough level to not require full round action to perform it)
- Precise Shot (at 8th level; may take improved precise shot if they already have precise shot)
- Wall Ride (6th level; Gunmonk takes a balance check to ride a wall at 1/2*move*1/2*dex mod in a direction of his choosing (up, down, 'left' or 'right'; running up to the cealing in the same round means they must make a climb check to attach to cealing) instead of a wall kick that is successful; must take additional balance check to 'cut corners', if you know what I mean; may perform SotR while wall riding (precise shot takes away -4 angle penalty); may make an initial running charge of at least however many feet is required to receive a bonus to a jump check to wall ride at double speed as if charging; a jump check to land on a wall and then wall ride is not allowed, unless a climb check is succeeded and then a balance check is succeeded (balance check must be made in second round if gunmonk does not have lightning reflexes)).
- Reverse Lead Enema (15th level; on half of a full action, the gunmonk can choose to shoot an enemy through the mouth, into the base of their skull after a successful grapple check, however they must make a successful touch attack after the grapple check is successful; attack deals triple damage; 20th level cuts the half of a round in half again, to require only a quarter of a round to perform)
- Cross Leap (20th level; the gunmonk can leap the boundaries of time and space to stop time for 1 round*wis modifier; the gunmonk must not be restrained and must make a jump check of at least 10 feet into the air; during the time stop, the gunmonk may not move but may meditate to assess their over all position and double the damage of their gunkata for every five rounds of frozen time; additionally, every round offers an intuition bonus of +4 to the gunmonk's ranged attack which can be applied to a number of enemies 1*Dex Modifier; casting time stop can help prevent a character from being affected by cross leap and actually prevent the gunmonk from completing their frozen meditation)
- At 20th level, the gunmonk gains Improved Evasion while Wall Riding, even if she doesn't have the pre-reqs for it

Someone simply must work out a table for this since I'm too lazy to do it myself.

Also, now you can finally be cleric from equilibrium or behave like The Matrix's Trinity! How awesome is that guys? I'm totally confident you won't torch this awesome concept to the earth.

ImpFireball
2008-06-10, 02:08 AM
I'm also confident that you won't ignore this any further!

Stycotl
2008-06-10, 11:36 AM
how about you do it (table and much-needed editing) yourself so that you can have the confident satisfaction of knowing that you overcame your laziness and we did nothing to enable you to continue to be lazy? sounds like a plan to me.

bosssmiley
2008-06-10, 11:47 AM
In modern, are we allowed to make 'gunkata' a feat?

I mean... get this:

Race: Human
Class: Gunmonk (something I invented! Bear with me here...)

xkcd.com (http://xkcd.com/365/) - always relevant :smallwink:

Speaking as a 3.5 and 3.T(ome) player, rather than a d20 Modern player. From what little I can eke out through the textwall (+1 vote for user friendly formatting plox) this Gunkata looks more than a little like a mash-up of Core and Tome monk class abilities.

Is that really something that can be worked into a balanced feat? :smallconfused:

SurlySeraph
2008-06-10, 04:40 PM
This has been done before (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68074&highlight=Kata), and more (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57103&highlight=Kata) coherently (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56999&highlight=Kata). You could just use the stats from one of those classes and convert them to d20 modern format.

ImpFireball
2008-06-14, 09:54 PM
But at least my build includes the ability to perform uberkill (http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/UberKilling) at epic levels. :smallcool:

Prereqs for Uberkilling: Gunkata, perfect two weapon fighting, many shot, twin tap, all the feats necessary to grant as many attacks on a full action as possible, vorpal ammo, weapon enhancement bonuses on all weapons that are part of the full attack action, combat reflexes, ability to perform ranged attack within threat range and not provoke AoO, base speed 60ft., base bonus attacks of 5, base attack bonus +20, ability to make AoOs with ranged weapons, 34 ranks in balance, 34 ranks in tumble, 34 ranks in jump, dex 50

Uberkilling allows you to uberkill. Essentially. By spending 10 action points, you can say... decapitate someone with a 9mm pistol by shooting them in the neck. You can kick someone's face off. You can send 60 bullets through someone's spine and then another 50 through someone's chest cavity with mere pistols in just one round if need be. You can prevent an avalanche by stopping with whole lot of shooting power from your two pistols that have enhancement bonuses. Uberkilling turns racial extermination through combat into the sheer ridiculous. Simply speaking, of course.

However, you must sacrifice gunkata for the day. Or suffer your dexterity score being reduced to 1/3 for the next month.

Stycotl
2008-06-16, 06:37 PM
^how about, nope. you don't even have mechanics statted out for this as far as i can see. feel free to show me if you do. all i see is a link to some wiki-wannabee site.

so again, you do the work. you go to the trouble of fixing things, and if actually statting things out so that we have more to work off of here than a vague idea of what you mean, and then we can get back to yo on it.