PDA

View Full Version : European Championship 2008 Austria - Switzerland

Zar Peter
2008-06-08, 10:07 AM
Well, can't believe no one opened up a thread till now...

OK, FOOTBALL!
Yesterday Switzerland lost very unlucky against Czech Republic 0:1 and Portugal beat Turkey in a great game 2:0.

Today we see Austrians first appearance in a European Championship Final Round, mostly because we hosting the thing.
What do you think, who will win? Who will lose?
Was the first goal of Pepe yesterday offside?
Was Grygeras hands yesterday a penalty?
Will the Germans win their first match in the final rounds since 1996?
Will Croatia win its first game or will Austria manage the wonder?

Discuss!

Szilard
2008-06-08, 10:15 AM
I think my dad is watching these games...
Is Hungary playing at all? I'm too lazy to look it up myself.:smalltongue:

Zar Peter
2008-06-08, 10:18 AM
No, Hungary didn't qualify.

Szilard
2008-06-08, 11:39 AM
That Kind of sucks...
Switzerland is awesome though.

Player_Zero
2008-06-08, 11:58 AM
...Can't we talk about the cricket instead? :smalltongue:

Zar Peter
2008-06-08, 12:04 PM
Hey! Just because no english speaking country is qualified doesn't mean you aren't interested in Football anymore...

Spiryt
2008-06-08, 12:05 PM
I really hope that Poland will draw with Germans. I think guys can do it.

We shall see if they will.:smalleek:

Player_Zero
2008-06-08, 12:10 PM
Hey! Just because no english speaking country is qualified doesn't mean you aren't interested in Football anymore...

It does so. :smalltongue:

Zar Peter
2008-06-08, 12:58 PM
At last it was no debacle as I feared.

Austria : Croatia 0:1

But I think we made the match exciting till the end.

Pepz
2008-06-08, 01:25 PM
well, I'm glad austria made it somewhat interesting towards the end, but Croatia really had the upper end for most of the first half.

looking forward to the next match, although my mom keeps wanting to change channels. -_-

Amiria
2008-06-08, 01:54 PM
* hugs Zar Peter *

Germany vs. Poland has started, 0:0 after 9 minutes.

* waves flag and cheers *

1:0 in the 20th minute, Gomez => Klose => Podolski = goal !

* waves and cheers frenetically *

39th minute, yellow card after a foul for a polish player, lucky guy, the referee first drew the red from his back pocket but then changed his mind immediately.

Zar Peter
2008-06-08, 02:25 PM
As it looks now I hope we can win at last against Poland.

Morty
2008-06-08, 02:54 PM
While I don't give much of a damn about that match and this whole championship, I find it hilarious that the guy who shot this one goal so far for German team is Polish.

Zar Peter
2008-06-08, 02:58 PM
And I'm sorry that Ivica Vastic, one of the best Austrian forwards born in Croatia, didn't shoot one against Croatia :smallfrown:

Amiria
2008-06-08, 03:00 PM
Yes, polish-born Podolski and Klose will the doom of Poland in this game. :smallbiggrin:

Spiryt
2008-06-08, 03:05 PM
Was this offside really an offide ? [/grumblemumble]

Amiria
2008-06-08, 03:16 PM
73th minute, 2:0 for Germany

Klose fumbles his shot but Podolski gets the ball and makes the goal. :smallsmile:

* cheers and waves again *

Victory !!! :smallsmile:

Zar Peter
2008-06-08, 04:21 PM
It will be hard to beat these Germans on the 16th... but we WILL do it!

:smallsmile:

InaVegt
2008-06-08, 04:28 PM
You germans need to hold out long enough so WE can beat you!

Pepz
2008-06-08, 04:39 PM
yeah I'm not sure the polish offside was really an offside.

ESPECIALLY since they let the germans get away with it too...

well, at least it was more fun to watch than the austria-kroatia game :)

and I agree with Gezina, I want to see a Germany-Netherlands final, so you guys'd better stay in the championship for a while :P

Charity
2008-06-09, 08:02 AM
The Football makes me sad...
Then again I suppose it's our own faults for sucking sooo very badly...

Well time to dig into my roots and go with my late fathers team, sorry Zar man (and Austria have put on a good show so far btw)

Italia Woooo.

Zar Peter
2008-06-09, 08:07 AM
Well... since Croatia won against England and we nearly had a chance against Croatia we must be pretty close to England :smallbiggrin::smallcool:

Charity
2008-06-09, 08:37 AM
Well... since Croatia won against England and we nearly had a chance against Croatia we must be pretty close to England :smallbiggrin::smallcool:

I wouldn't wish that on anyone... we suck at the mo, I think it's a motivational issue mostly... Mmm best not threadcrap your shiny Euro 08 thread with my speculation over the reasons why we're not in it.

Good luck Zar P.

Jade Falcon
2008-06-09, 01:23 PM
Just watched France - Romania ... dull and boring :smallmad:

But I´m looking forward to the next one, should be an interesting match

InaVegt
2008-06-09, 01:31 PM
Just watched France - Romania ... dull and boring :smallmad:

But I´m looking forward to the next one, should be an interesting match

As long as The NL gets to beat D, I'm happy.

Of course, that'd also mean we'd become champion, as there's no way of us meeting earlier.

Jade Falcon
2008-06-09, 01:49 PM
sry, double post

Jade Falcon
2008-06-09, 01:51 PM
Well, we will see :smallamused:

Game´s on, see you later then :smalltongue:

Amiria
2008-06-09, 02:26 PM
France played weak today, yes

Hihi, looks like the Dutch grind the Italians into dust. Serves 'em right for their 2 silly last minute goals against us in the last World Cup.

I'm also looking forward for a Germany : Netherlands final, Gez. Would be a very interesting game as both teams have a great offensive section.

InaVegt
2008-06-09, 03:41 PM
Threeeee Niiill!

Go Lions, Go!

Did we serve you right? World Champion!

Jade Falcon
2008-06-09, 03:44 PM
wow, Italy got butchered :smallbiggrin:

/point

/laugh

Zar Peter
2008-06-09, 04:24 PM
Wow. Best match so far of the whole tournament.
But I hope Italy will be second of the group because then I will see them in the quarter finales I have tickets for.
Better Italy than France or Romania.

Shadowcaller
2008-06-10, 06:40 AM
Well it seems its time for Sweden (my home-country) VS Greece, personally I think that Greece will win but try to say that to my football crazy family...
I actally heard someone say that Sweden would win with 5-0 I mean come on, that is crazy.
I think Greece will win with... 1-0.

Rykaj
2008-06-10, 07:30 AM
Sweden hasn't been doing that well lately no, hence I don't consider them having a good chance to go to the quarter finals.

And I may be prejudiced and all... But hell, that game last night was friggin' awesome!! We creamed those poor Italians! :smallbiggrin:

Gashad
2008-06-10, 03:55 PM
2-0 for Sweden against Greece,

I must say though having three ingredients of a nice game;

A beautiful goal(Zlatans shot)
A funny goal(Hanssons)
Swedish victory

the match really sucked. I as a swede would blame the Greeks whose game reminded me strongly of that Simpson episode where they show a match with Portugal vs Brazil and the players just pass forward and backwards.

A nice and well deserved victory for Sweden though which will hopefully rocket them into the quarterfinals.

Shadowcaller
2008-06-10, 04:05 PM
Gah my family was yelling like crazy up there beacuase of those goals...

Edit: Also ohh another person from sweden in the playground:smallbiggrin:.

Zar Peter
2008-06-11, 05:34 AM
Yay for Greece! Austria will not be the worst team of this tournament.:smallbiggrin:

Congratulations Sweden. This Victory was well deserved.

And Spain was great yesterday.

Spiryt
2008-06-12, 02:35 PM
Austria - POland 0 : 1 !

Our f****** idiots didn't deserve this goal after such game, but at least they still can do nice action like that.

And it's good that Boruc is the goalkeeper...

Zar Peter
2008-06-12, 02:44 PM
And the goal was OFFSIDE!!!!!!

Well, if we don't score in the second half we didn't deserve it.

And Boruc is great.

Spiryt
2008-06-12, 02:52 PM
And the goal was OFFSIDE!!!!!!

I know that it looks like biased opinion at the moment, but I anyway think that in such close situations, all but most obvious offsides should be passed.

I mean, it hadn't any meaning who was closer anyway, it was all too close to goal post, and Saganowski passed completely from the right.

Jade Falcon
2008-06-12, 02:57 PM
well, austria has absolutly no luck

and I´m still mad about that crap game of our boys :smallfurious:

Spiryt
2008-06-12, 03:11 PM
And anyway, I must say that I'm impressed by Austria guys physical preparation...

They almost literally two times faster and nimbler than some Polish guys :smallmad:

EDIT: What an action just few minutes ago! This Macho saved well....

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-12, 03:11 PM
*notices thread*
*delayed reaction*
Woohoo we kicked Italy's butt!

Seriously, I'm still a bit deaf from all of the gashorns, airhorns, whistles, shouts and illegal fireworks....

Now I'm gonna look forward to us kicking some more but, and also more specifically, us kicking some french butt!

Spiryt
2008-06-12, 03:38 PM
NO!

That is Bribery! There was no foul ! :smallfurious::smallfrown:

: Sigh :

Jade Falcon
2008-06-12, 03:39 PM
muahaha I cannot believe it :smallbiggrin:

three cheers for austria

Zar Peter
2008-06-12, 03:43 PM
I can't say if I'm happy about this penalty or absolutely angry because my team can't score. There is no forward.
But now we beat Germany. We can't have always bad luck. But we need at last 3 penaltys then (and then the games ends 1:0 :smallbiggrin:)

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-13, 01:59 PM
Just now 10 minuts into the game of france-the netherlands its 0-1 for us! woohooo

InaVegt
2008-06-13, 02:40 PM
Halftime, Netherlands: 1, France: 0

Go us!

Four : one!

We made the semifinals!

Spiryt
2008-06-13, 03:38 PM
4 : 1 .....

Looks like Netherlands is going to kick asses this year...

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-15, 02:28 AM
We're just that awesome.:smallbiggrin:

Our last goal was in the last extended minute to!:smallbiggrin:

hobbes543
2008-06-15, 11:45 AM
And now things are looking up for Romania to claim that second spot in the group... I mean the Dutch will be playing a B squad that game to give their starters a rest.

I think it would be hilarious if the defending world champs and runners up both fail to make it out of the group stage... But then again, France is nothing without Zidane and Italy never really faced much competition on the way there.

Zar Peter
2008-06-15, 04:27 PM
Turkey : Czech Republic 3:2

This is Football! This game had more suspension than all of the last 10 Superbowls I've seen.
And it's only the end of the group-phase...

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-16, 02:28 AM
And now things are looking up for Romania to claim that second spot in the group... I mean the Dutch will be playing a B squad that game to give their starters a rest.

I think it would be hilarious if the defending world champs and runners up both fail to make it out of the group stage... But then again, France is nothing without Zidane and Italy never really faced much competition on the way there.

No they won't.
Or the current active orange legions will become raging hooligans. Trust me. You don't want 120.000 + raging hooligans running around destroying your city. Last night there were asomething around 1200-12000 for a short break in prison cells, and they even hadn't lost. Heh.

Zar Peter
2008-06-16, 10:58 AM
3 hours till the end game against Germany... if we win this Austria will go complete nuts!

And no one ever will mention again Cordoba 1978. Then it's the wonder of Vienna.... Sweet dreams :smallsmile:

Amiria
2008-06-16, 02:12 PM
Oh noes, the game hath begun and it looks like the Ösis really try to win.

Austria vs. Germany => 0:0 in the 26th minute.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-16, 03:12 PM
As germany is my neighbour country, I must a bit support. So it can be trounced later on be us.

Go germany!So we can crush you finely under Makelele and Van Der Sar's boots... *insert evil laughter*

Seriously. When Van Der Sarr retires, we will lose every game. He is like a brick wall.:smalltongue:(Yes I'm thinking you were mentioned Bricky)

Zar Peter
2008-06-16, 03:49 PM
Damned Forum rules don't let me curse in a proper manner...

Let's go Portugal! You win the cup! :smallbiggrin:

Amiria
2008-06-16, 04:12 PM
Woot ! We won the match. This is true German football. One goal from a set piece. And only one, why more when it is enough to win ? More are just show-off and a waste of energy. :smalltongue: Great shot from Ballack.

But Philip Lahm was our best player today, isn't he cute ? He is the energizer bunny of the team. Always running, always there when needed. One of the best fullbacks worldwide but also a force to be reckoned with on the offense.

randman22222
2008-06-16, 04:38 PM
I heard it was two-zero, guess I heard wrong. Anyway, imagine you're one of the players. You'd want as many points lead over the opposing team, just to secure the game. It's not showing off, it's making sure your career lasts as long as it should.

Jade Falcon
2008-06-16, 04:47 PM
Hm, not the best game of our boys, but far better than the last one.

Ballacks goal was awesome .. did you see his face? Frightening :smallbiggrin: and Lahm was sureley the best german on the place.

kudos to austria, this team has potential.

aapje
2008-06-16, 07:45 PM
Austria can pass the ball around a bit but they are just unable to score which makes them kinda useless. Without goals no points :smallwink:

Their only goal was a penalty...

Their forwards are just awful.

Now I hope Germany eliminates Portugal. (Really embarrassing to rout for Germany but they are less awful then Portugal who I really hate)

Go kill that crybaby called Cristiano!

Zar Peter
2008-06-17, 12:48 AM
^ No never! I'm hoping for finals Portugal : Spain :smallsmile:

And the championships were a little too early for Austria. About ten years...

Today I will know whom I will see live on Sunday. Rumania, Italy or France. I just hope it isn't France, they play awful football currently.
And it would be hillarious if both, the World Champion and the Vize World Champion would drive home after the group phase :smallbiggrin:

GolemsVoice
2008-06-17, 07:22 AM
I really hope, and I am no football enthusiast, that we beat Portugal in the next match, but somehow I get the nagging feeling that we won't. The game Germany - Austria was a fun game to watch, and the Germans did well, but they surely didn't shine, and i think that will be needed for beating Portugal. Also, the game could easily have ended with Austria winning, had the Austrians had better forward players. They had a few quite clear chances, but they either missed or hesitated, and allowed our guys to take the ball fom them.

karmuno
2008-06-17, 07:47 PM
Being American, I'm only really rooting for good matches. Having said that, I'm hoping that Netherlands goes far, for totally arbitrary reasons, and I hope that Turkey plays on the same level that they did in the second half of their match against the Czech Republic.

InaVegt
2008-06-17, 08:33 PM
This was the group every soccer critic said we were not gonna leave.

Instead, we won every single match in this group, becoming the first in the group with a a difference of five points, or double the amount of the runner up.

GO US!

Amiria
2008-06-19, 01:49 PM
Germany - Portugal begins. Darn, I thought that Frings would play with his broken rib, would have been really badass ... but also medicinally unwise.

I hope that we play without fear today, the worst pressure is gone, we made it into the knockout stage

1:0 ... 2:0 for Germany !!! :smallsmile: Yippee ya yay, Schweinebacke ... err, Schweinsteiger. :smallwink: Portugal's worst nightmare is back. And only minutes later he makes the flank for Klose's header.

2:1 at half time.

3:1 ! :smallsmile: Header from Ballack after another free kick from "Schweini".

Oi, 3:2 in the 87th, gets close toward the end. Really a great game, exciting game, Portugal is giving all to make the draw.

We won: 3:2 !!! :smallbiggrin:

Jade Falcon
2008-06-19, 04:36 PM
woohoo, what an awesome match :smallsmile:

the last 5 minutes .. oh my poor nerves

Deutschland ! :smallbiggrin:

InaVegt
2008-06-19, 05:12 PM
Good job, Germany, one step closer to the finals, or, one step closer to being beaten by us (if we make it that far, that is).

seraphimovic
2008-06-19, 06:37 PM
romania got kicked out :smallfrown:

Zar Peter
2008-06-20, 06:53 AM
Gary Lineker was correct.
Football is a sport were 22 people are playing and in the end Germany wins...

Today I will see whom I support in the Semi Finals :smallbiggrin:

seraphimovic
2008-06-20, 08:08 AM
dutchieland to go all the way! they're the best i've seen so far and they really deserve to finally win something.

I'm da Rogue!
2008-06-21, 03:31 PM
:o

What an awesome match is this one today!

It's 1-1 right now, GO RUSSIA!

Spiryt
2008-06-21, 03:42 PM
Nah.

GO NETHERLANDS!!!

Amiria
2008-06-21, 03:56 PM
The Dutch slow down. They are not as strong as everyone excpected from them and seem to hope for the penalty shootout.

He, I'm for Russia, they are still likely to be an easier opponent for us in the final. :smallsmile:

Zar Peter
2008-06-21, 03:59 PM
The Dutch slow down. They are not as strong as everyone excpected from them and seem to hope for the penalty shootout.

He, I'm for Russia, they are still likely to be an easier opponent for us in the final. :smallsmile:

That's why I support Netherlands... but the Russians seem have more powers left. And they had the better chances, they deserve to win (if they win)

I'm da Rogue!
2008-06-21, 04:03 PM
GOAAAAAAAAAAAL!

=D

I told ya!

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-21, 04:05 PM
No. The dutch must win. They simply must.

And. We have Van Der Sar. You beat him:smallamused:

Wait, two out of three of my favorite women in the playground are rooting for Russia in The Netherlands Vs Russia? :smallfrown:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... We're practically out now...

I'm da Rogue!
2008-06-21, 04:07 PM
AND ANOTHER ONE!

Man, that's awesome. :o

Amiria
2008-06-21, 04:07 PM
And another one. 3:1 Congratulations to all the Russian playgrounders. :smallsmile:

Oh, and please don't hate me for it, Dallas-Dakota. Germany and the Netherlands have a difficult relationship when it comes to football. :smallredface:

Zar Peter
2008-06-21, 04:12 PM
And I wanted to see this difficult relationship in the finals.. with a Netherland win, of course :smallbiggrin:.

Well, let's hope the Russian will get underestimated again.

Simius
2008-06-21, 04:19 PM
Haha, go Russia! I was really getting sick of all the orange on the streets here.

Spiryt
2008-06-21, 04:21 PM
Heh. Now I really hope that Russia will play even better and kick the Italy out. Beacuse if Italy win another cup after usual crap they are showing...

Jade Falcon
2008-06-21, 04:28 PM
well, another surprise .. can´t say that it isn´t an exciting EM :smallsmile:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-21, 04:29 PM
When the match ended it suddenly became silent. Very silent. No outside noice...

NikkTheTrick
2008-06-21, 04:59 PM
Russian team really got better after the 4-1 slaughter we had in the hands of Spain. I had little hope for Russian victory - Netherlands performance in their group was just vicious. I thought Russia would get torn to shreds like France was. And yet, Russia won!

And it wasn't some kind of 1-0 lucky goal victory. Russia got a goal, held Dutch attacks, still missed the goal and then got another ball in Dutch goals! Last one was due to Netherlands giving everything to the offensive. Russian team played better than I ever seen them playing.

Then again, after what happened in Turkey-Croatia game yesterday, everything can happen at Euro2008. Would bge very interesting to see Russia-Turkey final. Underdogs fighting to death with major teams just sitting around saying "what happened?! How did we lose?!"

I'm da Rogue!
2008-06-21, 05:35 PM
Well, don't forget that Greece won the last Euro Cup, and we weren't that good.

That's what I like in football. Anything can happen.

NikkTheTrick
2008-06-21, 10:49 PM
Well, don't forget that Greece won the last Euro Cup, and we weren't that good.
Well, yes that's what I was talking about. Let the underdogs win :smallbiggrin:

And let us hope white blue and red will be the new... err... white and blue :smallsmile:

Russian team is especially unpredictable. One day, Russia wins against England or Netherlands. Another day, Russia loses to Israel and almost ends up in draw against Andorra.

EDIT: Oh crap. Now it is against Spain again :smalleek:

Jade Falcon
2008-06-22, 04:54 PM
Italy out ! :smallbiggrin:

but it was another rather weak game .. I hope that the half finales get better

Zar Peter
2008-06-22, 06:42 PM
VIVA ESPANA!!!!

If Italy had won this it would be one of the least deserved victories in the whole tournament!
The only people who created atmosphere in the stadium were the Spanish!
And Italy did absolutely nothing for the match! This was the worst catenacchio I've ever seen.

Also the worst case scenario is averted. If Italy had faced Germany in the Finals I had to support Germany.. :smalleek:

GO SPAIN! YOU WIN THIS!

NikkTheTrick
2008-06-22, 08:18 PM
Well, Spain wasn't much better either (although it is clear they had an edge over Italy thorugout the game).

I just hope that on Wednesday Spainish team plays like it did today and Russian team plays like it did yesterday :smallbiggrin: But I am pretty sure Russia will screw it up.

Amiria
2008-06-25, 01:41 PM
Germany : Turkey is about to begin. My prognosis is 5:0, with goals of Podolski, Ballack, Klose x2, and Lehmann (goalie punt to goal). :smallbiggrin:

Meh, 1:1 now, and our goal came from Schweinsteiger. Well, I am not Diviner in the Playground.

Spiryt
2008-06-25, 02:30 PM
Go Turkey!

Seriously, I weren't big fun of those teams, but Turkey - Russia would be much more awesome than Germany - Spain :smallyuk:

YAY!!!

2 : 2

What a goal!

Amiria
2008-06-25, 03:47 PM
At least I had the number of goals right. 3:2 for Germany. :smallsmile:

We made it exciting today. Well, Turkey played with the same tactics as Croatia against us ... there should be a law against it. :smalltongue:

randman22222
2008-06-25, 03:48 PM
Yeah, Lahn was incredible at the last 30 seconds! Clock splitter, there.

I still think Germany used the wrong tactics though...

*Waves German flag.*

Calamity
2008-06-25, 05:04 PM
What a disappointing ending to that match. I find it crazy that Turkey didn't win after that performance. Germany were poor throughout.

Oh well, I'm rooting for Russia tomorrow, but to be honest, I wouldn't mind Spain winning either.

Zar Peter
2008-06-25, 05:24 PM
Oh well, since I bought a Spanish cap and a Spanish flag on Sunday... VIVA ESPANA! Go Spain, you beat Russia and then Germany 5:0...

But I wouldn't mind to support Russia on Sunday, too :smallbiggrin:

Heineken
2008-06-25, 09:43 PM
@Zar:
You are from Austria, aren´t you?
Is there any particular reason you
support anybody who plays against germany?

Concerning the match:
Germany always plays better against world-class teams.
They don´t feel comfortable as favourites.
That´s why I hope for Spain in the final.

NikkTheTrick
2008-06-26, 01:42 PM
Well... Here it comes :smalleek:

Go Russia :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: :smalleek::smalleek::smalleek: This is plain brutal. Stop it :smallfrown: Go Germany. Avenge Russia.

Elhann
2008-06-26, 03:56 PM
Well... Here it comes :smalleek:

Go Russia :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: :smalleek::smalleek::smalleek: This is plain brutal. Stop it :smallfrown: Go Germany. Avenge Russia.

Never! Go Spain!

Well, Russia played a decent first half time, but the second half was Spanish from the start to the end.

And now, Germany-Spain. Germans already have three Eurochampionships, this year is ours!

Go Spain!

Zar Peter
2008-06-26, 04:04 PM
@Zar:
You are from Austria, aren´t you?
Is there any particular reason you
support anybody who plays against germany?

Concerning the match:
Germany always plays better against world-class teams.
They don´t feel comfortable as favourites.
That´s why I hope for Spain in the final.

I would support Germany against Italy.

And this was the best match of the tournament. I feel pity for Russia, they played great but Spain was better.

And, yes, I'm from Austria, I support nearly every team which plays against Germany. But Spain is my main favorite.
I hope Germany keep their performance they showed against Turkey, then they stand no chance against Spain :smallbiggrin:.

Jade Falcon
2008-06-26, 04:05 PM
Never! Go Spain!
And now, Germany-Spain. Germans already have three Eurochampionships, this year is ours!

But 4 is such a nice number :smallwink:

NikkTheTrick
2008-06-26, 05:55 PM
Well, Russia played a decent first half time, but the second half was Spanish from the start to the end.
I wouldn't say so. Spain played way better from start to end. It was a small miracle Russia held at 0-0 in the first period. Spain was pounding Russian goals from the very beginning while Russian attacks barely made to Spanish side.

After the first goal, Russia went more offensive, but the team was disorganized and demoralized, so no decent offensive occured. In fact, I'd say Russian offense was even weaker. Russian defence, however, went to hell. The goalkeeper played great throughout the whole game, but he could do only so much when he was 1-on-1 against Spanish attackers.

Spain totally deserved the victory and Russia deserved the defeat. But I still want someone to beat Spain :smallwink:

Paladin29
2008-06-26, 06:10 PM
VIVA ESPAÑA!!, VIVA CASILLAS!!!... VIVA MI SELECCIÓN :smallsmile: .

I´m sorry, but i need that.. I´ve a explosion of patriotic pride.. I think that Germany is favourite in the final, but i hope that we´ll win because Spain has displayed better football all the championship, we deserve it, but Iadmit that would not be a shame to lose with Germany.

NikkTheTrick
2008-06-27, 01:09 AM

I´m sorry, but i need that.. I´ve a explosion of patriotic pride..
Sorry? Isn't wild yelling "hurray" the whole point of watching football :smallconfused:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-27, 07:19 AM
Canada is going to win. Even if it isn't in the competition.

NikkTheTrick
2008-06-27, 10:49 AM
Canada is going to win. Even if it isn't in the competition.
Well, yes. We have beer and lots of it. By the time we are through with it, all flags are going to look like clouds made of pretty colors.

Calamity
2008-06-27, 12:07 PM

I´m sorry, but i need that.. I´ve a explosion of patriotic pride.. I think that Germany is favourite in the final, but i hope that we´ll win because Spain has displayed better football all the championship, we deserve it, but Iadmit that would not be a shame to lose with Germany.

Yup, the Spanish do deserve it. But so do the Turkish.

Om
2008-06-27, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't say so. Spain played way better from start to end. It was a small miracle Russia held at 0-0 in the first period. Spain was pounding Russian goals from the very beginning while Russian attacks barely made to Spanish sideI wouldn't say it was that lopsided in the first half. Arshavin was disappointing (and his side really depend on him) but they did hold their own. What really killed the game was that first Spanish goal after the break... that really broke Russia's fragile confidence

Anyways, I'll be cheering on Deutschland come Sunday. Ever since WC2008 I've been a fan and I suspect that they're strangle the Spanish attacks like they did the Portuguese

Jade Falcon
2008-06-27, 07:59 PM
I hope for a fair and good game tomorrow

Spain played a very good tournament so far and I wouldn´t be mad if they beat us. Regardless who wins it´s gonna be a nice party :smallwink:

Heineken
2008-06-28, 08:48 PM
@Zar: Thanks for mentioning so many good reasons.... :smallconfused:

It´s gonna be a hard match if Ballack can´t play. He´s the leader of the whole team and impossible to replace.
...Anyway, with the right attitude Spain can be beaten.

Szilard
2008-06-28, 09:06 PM
So... Final is tomarrow right? From what I hear its Spain vs. Germany, or have I been misinformed?

Copacetic
2008-06-28, 09:24 PM
So... Final is tomarrow right? From what I hear its Spain vs. Germany, or have I been misinformed?

Correct.

Geht Deutschland!

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-06-28, 09:35 PM
I'm 1/32 German, while not at all Spanish.
England didn't get in, neither did the Ukraine, and all the other slavic teams are out, so...

GO GERMANY!
GEHT DEUTSCHLAND!!

Jade Falcon
2008-06-28, 09:46 PM
Ballack out, that sucks .. big time :smallsigh:

Amiria
2008-06-29, 12:56 PM
Ballack in, that rules ... big time :smallsmile:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-29, 12:59 PM
As Germany is my neighbour country, I must support it.

Geht Deutschland!

(No more german in school now, teehee!)

Maroon
2008-06-29, 01:15 PM
I've never been a fan of watching football, and now I know why: first we lose to Russia, and when I'm set to support Russia (or, at least, our tsar Hiddink), they lose, and there's nothing I can do about it. What fun is watching a simple game like football, anyway?

Oh well. I don't particularly care for Spain, so Germany it is. Go reluctant neighbour!

Ceska
2008-06-29, 01:21 PM
@Zar: You are from Austria, aren´t you? Is there any particular reason you support anybody who plays against germany?
Got your answer there. :smalltongue:

GEHT DEUTSCHLAND!
Wohin geht's denn?

I'm one of the few Austrian's who root for Germany and definitely proud of it.

Elhann
2008-06-29, 02:37 PM
Half time, Spain leads 1-0

Things are looking well...

GO SPAIN!

Zar Peter
2008-06-29, 02:39 PM
YES!!!!

Go Spain. Two more goals would be nice. :smallcool:

Szilard
2008-06-29, 02:39 PM
:smallsigh: It's only halftime though.

Amiria
2008-06-29, 02:42 PM
Yay ! We are only one goal behind. Now Löw should drag the team over the coals in half time to get them back into the game. Our left field defense isn't acting strong enough and there are too many misplaced passes and we must attack Spain earlier.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-29, 02:43 PM
Yay ! We are only one goal behind. Now Löw should drag the team over the coals in half time to get them back into the game. Our left field defense isn't acting strong enough and there are too many misplaced passes and we should have attacked Spain earlier.
Corrected it for you.

Pulling a Zidane?:smallconfused:

NikkTheTrick
2008-06-29, 03:03 PM
Ack! Now Spain is hurting Germany :smalleek:

Spain is just wicked during this championship!

P.S. did a Spanish player just try to pull a Zidane?

randman22222
2008-06-29, 03:37 PM
Awwe balls!

Spain beat Germany. :smallfrown:

Amiria
2008-06-29, 03:38 PM
Congratulations, Spain ! Clearly the better team today.

Szilard
2008-06-29, 03:45 PM
I expected a more exciting game, 1-0 isn't really final-worthy.:smallfrown:

Elhann
2008-06-29, 03:46 PM
Congratulations, Spain ! Clearly the better team today.
Yay! Thank you!

And now, if you excuse me, I feel the urge t go to the street and scream my lungs out.

Time to be irrational!

Campeones, campeones, oe-oe-oeeeeee!

randman22222
2008-06-29, 03:46 PM
I have to disagree, Szilard. It was how each team kept making those huge attacks on the other that made this fun to watch. They'd shoot and shoot and shoot, and then it'd reverse sides, and reoccur.

The numbers don't mean as much as the nature of each shot.

EDIT: Even though I was going for Germany, I gotta say, that Torres guy is cool.

Zar Peter
2008-06-29, 04:05 PM
The goal of Torres was great, and in the second half Spain played. It was a pleasure to watch.
Germany didn't give up, but they didn't have a real chance, either.

A worthy European Master, and I'm happy I was able to see them live (although it was the worst game against Italy).

Congratulations to Spain!

ESPANA!!!!!

Jade Falcon
2008-06-29, 04:28 PM
sad .. but the better team has won

Congratulations, spain :smallsmile: That was an impressive tournament

But let´s not forget the most important fact: Italy hasn´t won the EM :smalltongue:

Zar Peter
2008-06-29, 04:30 PM
Indeed. But they were the team who made Spain the most trouble in the whole championship. Mostly because they refused to play and simply defended with 11 man.

Jade Falcon
2008-06-29, 04:35 PM
Yeah ... and I´m really glad that they got an early ticket home

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-29, 04:46 PM
And what do you say to the dutch then because we defeated them soundly earlier on? Heheh.

Grongratulations to Spain. I didn't watch but ok.

Zar Peter
2008-06-29, 05:13 PM
I'd say... I'd really loved to watch a final Netherland - Spain.
But that was impossible.

Before the beginning of the championship I presumed a final Portugal - Spain, well, one out of two isn't bad.

And I'm really glad my brother was totally wrong as he stated that northern football overcomes southern.

v And yes, the game was great! The pub where I watched the match went pure orange.

Jade Falcon
2008-06-29, 05:16 PM
And what do you say to the dutch then because we defeated them soundly earlier on? Heheh.

That was pure joy .. pure joy I say :smallcool:

Paladin29
2008-06-29, 05:26 PM
CAMPEONES!!!, VIVA ESPAÑA!!! :smallsmile:

I am coming from the Plaza de Colón in Madrid, It´s a great party and will endure until the dawn, however i am tired. I am really happy :smallsmile:

However i must say that Germany was a worthy rival.

Ceska
2008-06-30, 01:11 AM
Indeed. But they were the team who made Spain the most trouble in the whole championship. Mostly because they refused to play and simply defended with 11 man.
Just like Spain did yesterday for quite some time. Ten men defend and Torres is the only one in front. To be fair, few teams can get through this style of playing, especially with one fast dangerous player.

Zar Peter
2008-06-30, 01:40 AM
Just like Spain did yesterday for quite some time. Ten men defend and Torres is the only one in front. To be fair, few teams can get through this style of playing, especially with one fast dangerous player.

Well, I say it's not quite the same.
Italy refused to play, they just shot the ball wide forward to the useless Luca Toni (when they got it).

As Spain had the ball yesterday, it was a pleasure to watch what they did with it. They were always a danger for the Germans, and even in the last minutes there were THREE Spanish players attacking a German defender in the German half.

Klose_the_Sith
2008-06-30, 05:57 AM
Ewww ... we were robbed by simulation after simulation. Not that it's anything new for us but oh well.

Om
2008-07-04, 12:49 PM
Well done Spain, thoroughly deserved (even if I was cheering for Germany). And if any Spanish posters were part of the crowd celebrating in the centre of Dublin on the night of the game... you guys rock!