PDA

View Full Version : Mac Acting Screwy

Mr.Bookworm
2008-06-08, 01:53 PM
My Mac's acting weird.

It puts a black box around items as if and announces what I'm doing in Finder and several other programs. It doesn't do it in all programs, however. Firefox, for example.

This came out of nowhere.

I've restarted several times, and am currently running a virus scan over all of my stuff.

Help?

EDIT: Virus scan completed, it didn't turn up anything.

Running it again, just to make sure.

EDIT: I suppose I should mention my hard(soft?)ware.

I'm running Tiger, version 10.4.11, on a 2005 iMac, one of the ones that came out right before Apple switched their processors to Intel chips, so I have a PowerPC one.

---

Reposted from somewhere else, where I wasn't getting any responses.

I assume it's all right to ask for tech support here? Didn't see anything against it.

Player_Zero
2008-06-08, 02:11 PM
Mac Acting Screwy

Well there's your problem? :smalltongue:

Seriously though, Have you tried just googling the problem?

Mr.Bookworm
2008-06-08, 02:20 PM
Well there's your problem? :smalltongue:

Seriously though, Have you tried just googling the problem?

You just don't understand real computers. :smalltongue:

But, yeah. I've tried Googling it a few times. Nuthin'.

Suppose I should try again, though.

Penguinsushi
2008-06-08, 02:26 PM
That is odd...

From what you said, it doesn't sound like anything's actually broken, just that it's exhibiting odd behaviors? (Probably on integrated apps?) Are you sure you don't have something funky turned on in your accessibility or system prefs? What are the messages finder's giving you? Perhaps you need to repair your permissions? Just some thoughts. Could be i'm not understanding your issue completely too...

While Player Zero's first comment really isn't helpful :smalltongue: :smallwink: - the second is your best course of action. Google is your friend. It's probably happened to someone else.

~PS

Mr.Bookworm
2008-06-08, 02:51 PM
That is odd...From what you said, it doesn't sound like anything's actually broken, just that it's exhibiting odd behaviors? (Probably on integrated apps?) Are you sure you don't have something funky turned on in your accessibility or system prefs? What are the messages finder's giving you? Perhaps you need to repair your permissions? Just some thoughts. Could be i'm not understanding your issue completely too...

No, nothing is broken. It's annoying, but it hasn't really affected my computer use, except for me ignoring the boxes and keeping it on mute.

I'm pretty much 100% sure that it's not a preference/accessibility thing.

Again, this came completely out of nowhere, I wasn't messing around with my computer.

While Player Zero's first comment really isn't helpful :smalltongue: :smallwink: - the second is your best course of action. Google is your friend. It's probably happened to someone else.

~PS

Yeah, I've been trying to find it on Google, but I've turned up nada.

Holy poopie.

As I was typing this, I started screwing with the command key to see if I might have accidentally enabled something. So I press Command+1. Presto. Problem's gone.

But that makes no sense, because Command+1 switches tab. O_o

So, problem solved. But I'll check and see if I can figure out what was causing it in the first place.

Leper_Kahn
2008-06-08, 03:38 PM
It sounds like you turned on some universal access feature. It happens. Next time just check the "Universal Access" feature in system preferences.

Penguinsushi
2008-06-08, 04:51 PM
Yeah, that's kind of what i was thinking after as well. Glad you got it all sorted, though.

~PS

Forthork
2008-06-08, 05:48 PM
You just don't understand real computers. :smalltongue:

http://www.comedymail.co.uk/getItem.asp?Filename=content/21-5-2008\mac.jpg
:smalltongue:
I would try the Mac official forums, but depending on the problem, they might not let you. The removed posts about Leopard getting Blue Screens of Death.