PDA

View Full Version : Wii Games

Cristo Meyers
2008-06-08, 02:24 PM
Alright, we splurged a bit and snagged a Wii yesterday (they're absurdly hard to find up here and I figured that I'm gonna get one eventually...might as well do it now). Problem is, I haven't been keeping up on new games and whatnot, so I'm looking for recommendations.

It came with Super Mario Galaxy, which I hear is good. But the only other two I can think of off of the top of my head are Super Smash Bros Brawl (of course :smallwink:) and Twilight Princess.

So, my friends, what's good?

Hario
2008-06-08, 02:55 PM
No More Heroes is a must buy, Fire Emblem was good, and you can play the game cube game. Metroid Prime is good. Wii Fit is enjoyable, Mario kart is addictive, trauma center is very fun and cool. There are about 15 must buy wii games I just can't remember them all right now.

AlterForm
2008-06-08, 02:56 PM
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Better if you get the whole series, but not necessary.

Guitar Hero 3

Okami (unless you already had it for PS2)

No More Heroes

Mario Kart Wii

Super Paper Mario

Those are the big ones, IMO. YMMV.
Other than these, you'll have to sort through the list of Wii games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_games) yourself to find ones you like.

Terraoblivion
2008-06-08, 03:13 PM
If you don't own it for the PS2 then Okami is absolutely the best purchase you could possibly make for the Wii. It has many similarities to Zelda when it comes to the gameplay, however, the canine nature of the character you control as well as a whole lot of small mechanics makes it different enough in gameplay to have a strong separate identity in regards to that.

The real strength of this game, however, is the art direction. The art style reminiscent of Japanese water color paintings compared to the stunningly beautiful areas you pass through are just hard to pass up. Completing tasks and doing all the sidequest material has the effect of changing the environment you play in. You make withered trees healthy, blasted landscapes beautiful and starving animals fed and happy. So you are effectively making beautiful places even more beautiful as you play the game, which provides a great incentive to do your best as well as giving you a simply stunning world to play in. And while it sounds a bit silly, just running around the fields in this game is one of my favorite things in the game, simply because it is so beautiful and Amaterasu moves to smoothly in it.

This art direction also extends to the personality of the different characters you meet through-out the game. This is probably best exemplified in how one of the most touching scenes in any video game i have ever played is created by your interactions with a living piece of paper.

Really this is the game you absolutely have to get for the Wii.

Geno9999
2008-06-08, 03:21 PM
Aww MAN! you guys said all the good ones.:smallfrown:
Oh well, that means that I have them except for Okami and No More Heroes (my Mom and Dad won't let me have M rated games).
Although Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games might be good.

Cristo Meyers
2008-06-08, 03:30 PM
They make Okami for the Wii?

*is drooling*

Must...have...

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

Icewalker
2008-06-08, 04:11 PM
Metroid Prime 3 definitely. I've heard some pretty good stuff about Mario Kart Wii as well. Other than that and some which have been suggested, you're pretty set.

I would definitely suggest buying a few things off the virtual console as well though, there are some great games on there: Starfox 64 in particular comes to mind.

(Do a barrel roll!)

Cristo Meyers
2008-06-08, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I'll need to get the thing hooked up to the net before I can use the VC.

But believe me, I fully intend to.

Triaxx
2008-06-08, 08:53 PM
If you haven't played RE4, it's far more fun on the Wii than either of the other versions.

Why has no one mentioned Twilight Princess? I haven't had a chance to play it personally, but I've been told that Boom Blox is fun.

Mc. Lovin'
2008-06-09, 04:33 PM
No More Heroes is a must buy, Fire Emblem was good, and you can play the game cube game. Metroid Prime is good. Wii Fit is enjoyable, Mario kart is addictive, trauma center is very fun and cool. There are about 15 must buy wii games I just can't remember them all right now.

The Fire Emblem one's out is it? Did it play as well as the GBA versions? (I hated the Gamecube one)

SerenityKry
2008-06-09, 05:34 PM
Twilight Princess
Super Mario Galaxy
Mario Kart Wii
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Paper Mario
Metal Slug Anthology
Okami
House of the Dead 2 & 3

Mando Knight
2008-06-09, 11:58 PM
The Fire Emblem one's out is it? Did it play as well as the GBA versions? (I hated the Gamecube one)

Sorry to disappoint, but FE10 plays like FE9, which are much more like FE3-5 (SNES Super Famicom) than 7 & 8 (the GBA installments released outside Japan)

FE 10 v. FE 9 comparison:
Pros
-slightly better graphics (more custom heads, more fantastical tomes...)
-No Jeigan to steal early XP
-3rd tier units allow more powerful characters, and Master Skills are applied automatically
-FE 9 clear data allows for the Greil Mercenaries to start out more powerful
-Battle Saves to allow you to make snap decisions and not have to restart the entire level when it all goes to pieces
-Ashnard is dead.
-Ties up loose ends in FE 9's storyline...
-More top-rank weapons, such as Rexcalibur
-GBA Magic Triangle coexists with SNES/GC Magic Triangle
-Bigger laguz transform meters, Dragons can stay transformed for almost entire battles

Cons
-No trial maps
-Beginning party starts out weak, and doesn't get strong enough nearly fast enough.
-No Jeigan to soak up damage early on
-Final Boss is harder in Normal than Ashnard (not as hard as Hard-mode Ashnard, though...)
-Enemies are more accurate and dodgier in FE 10
-Story goes on forever... perhaps twice as long as FE 9
-The last 4 chapter bosses have skills that negate Ike's Aether
-Many weapons have a higher weapon rank requirement (Rex-tomes, Vague Katti, and Wishblade now require SS proficiency rather than S...)
-No Paladin weapon choice (3rd tier Pallys get lance & bow or sword & axe)
-Cat laguz transform meters go down far too quickly
-Only one support, no support conversations (although they can have a short conversation in-battle to shout encouragements...)

Really, you want to buy all 4 not-Japan Fire Emblems, that way you unlock everything in FE 9 & 10 (more illustrations and trial maps in 9, better units and an FE 9 support guide in 10)

Get LEGO Star Wars and LEGO Indiana Jones now, then buy LEGO Batman when it comes out.

Geno9999
2008-06-11, 09:08 AM
Starfox 64 in particular comes to mind.

(Do a barrel roll!)
CAN'T LET YOU DO THAT, STAR FOX!!!! (http://www.halolz.com/category/games/starfox/) *Gets shoot down* NO WAY!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! *boom*

If you're looking at VC games, get Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 2 Super Mario Bros: Lost Levels, StarFox 64 (Can't let you...*BANG! err Pew pew pew!*), Legend of Zelda: OoT.
WARNING! SMB2 SMB:LL is for Hardcore players ONLY! This takes Nintendo Hard (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NintendoHard) and runs, jumps, kill goombas, and eats you alive.

archon_huskie
2008-06-11, 09:52 AM
You may laugh at me for this one.

Wii Play.

It is so simple, so basic.

And yet so addictive!
I could play the tank game for hours.

Cristo Meyers
2008-06-11, 12:03 PM
WARNING! SMB2 SMB:LL is for Hardcore players ONLY! This takes Nintendo Hard (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NintendoHard) and runs, jumps, kill goombas, and eats you alive.

Tell me about it. I've beaten it once...just barely. That game makes normal Nintendo Hard games look easy.

Volug
2008-06-11, 10:56 PM
If you don't own it for the PS2 then Okami is absolutely the best purchase you could possibly make for the Wii. It has many similarities to Zelda when it comes to the gameplay, however, the canine nature of the character you control as well as a whole lot of small mechanics makes it different enough in gameplay to have a strong separate identity in regards to that.

The real strength of this game, however, is the art direction. The art style reminiscent of Japanese water color paintings compared to the stunningly beautiful areas you pass through are just hard to pass up. Completing tasks and doing all the sidequest material has the effect of changing the environment you play in. You make withered trees healthy, blasted landscapes beautiful and starving animals fed and happy. So you are effectively making beautiful places even more beautiful as you play the game, which provides a great incentive to do your best as well as giving you a simply stunning world to play in. And while it sounds a bit silly, just running around the fields in this game is one of my favorite things in the game, simply because it is so beautiful and Amaterasu moves to smoothly in it.

This art direction also extends to the personality of the different characters you meet through-out the game. This is probably best exemplified in how one of the most touching scenes in any video game i have ever played is created by your interactions with a living piece of paper.

Really this is the game you absolutely have to get for the Wii.

YOU STOLE MY FAN-BOY POST!!!

*Walks away angerly*

banjo1985
2008-06-12, 05:27 AM
Mario Kart and Paper Mario are good shouts, as is Okami.

*gets annoyed waiting for the european release*

I like Mario Party as well, though I think I'm pretty much alone in that judgement.

Trauma Centre's not bad either, though you will throw at least one Wii remote through a window during play, you can't avoid the inevitable!

Pagz
2008-06-12, 07:19 AM
I could play the tank game for hours.Oh my gosh that tanks game, me and friends played that for HOURS... although you have to be a certain amount of silly to reap enjoyment from that game.

Looks like most have been said at this point in time, although I still haven't played a game on the wii that has completely "wowed" me (Twilight Princess came close, but the ending ruined it for me).

TheSorrow
2008-06-15, 06:48 PM
No More Heroes, greatest Wii game that I have played. I have beaten it twice already and it is still fun to go back and play.

Bleen
2008-06-16, 01:47 AM
I like, fourth, fifth, or sixth the No More Heroes recommendation, whichever number we're up to now.