PDA

View Full Version : Any Odd Templates?

SoD
2008-06-08, 02:57 PM
Here's the situation: evil transmuter elfy guy who experiments with stuff. Sentient, non-sentient, meh. I need strange templates, and where to find them. 3e/3.5 is fine. Some I'm looking at at the mo: insectile, winged, multi-headed, pseudo-natural. Homebrews are fine, but I'll need links. Ones that are no-no's: undead stuff, basically.

The elf: is one of the following himself: lich/ghost/vampire (I'm thinking ghost). As mentioned, he's a transmuter, barred from evocation and abjuration. I'm half-considering a few levels in Red Wizard (barring necromancy). But his experiments: those I need some help with. So, playgrounders, any ideas?

Jack_Simth
2008-06-08, 03:43 PM
For the really odd stuff, skip the templates completely. As long as it's not going to actually fight the PC's, there's no need for the critter to have actual statistics.

Innis Cabal
2008-06-08, 03:49 PM
Awakened construct

Inyssius Tor
2008-06-08, 03:53 PM
I'm a fan of the Gelatinous template, which I believe is in either the Fiend Folio or Savage Species. Adding additional templates on top of it can make for some pretty weird stuff; a half-insect gelatinous bear? A winged spider made entirely out of acid? A fiendish (to bypass the ooze's "-" INT) half-fiend swarm-shaper (from... Ghostwalk?) gelatinous bugbear, capable of transforming into a cloud of red-eyed stinging goo mosquitoes and reforming behind the wizard for a Smite Good attack?

Innis Cabal
2008-06-08, 04:12 PM
Swarm Shaper is from Libris Mortis

drengnikrafe
2008-06-08, 04:29 PM
I'm a fan of the Gelatinous template, which I believe is in either the Fiend Folio or Savage Species. Adding additional templates on top of it can make for some pretty weird stuff; a half-insect gelatinous bear? A winged spider made entirely out of acid? A fiendish (to bypass the ooze's "-" INT) half-fiend swarm-shaper (from... Ghostwalk?) gelatinous bugbear, capable of transforming into a cloud of red-eyed stinging goo mosquitoes and reforming behind the wizard for a Smite Good attack?

Ahh, only 4 posts and already my favorite is ninja'd. Good suggesting, on that Gelatinous template.

Jayngfet
2008-06-08, 05:50 PM
If you expriment with outsider blood you could use my planetouched templates(in my sig), also in my sig are some undead

UserClone
2008-06-08, 06:27 PM
Dragon #313 has a bunch:
Fetch (1/2-Ghost)
Gheden (1/2-Zombie)
Ghul (1/2-Ghoul)
Katane (1/2 Vampire)
Also, there are the 1/2:
Doppelganger
Janni
Minoutar
Nymph
Ogre
Raksha
Satyr
If that weren't enough, there are the Mortif (Deathtouched) and Ghost Elf PC/NPC races.

Collin152
2008-06-08, 06:35 PM
Half flesh golem.
All you need.

SoD
2008-06-09, 01:18 AM
For the really odd stuff, skip the templates completely. As long as it's not going to actually fight the PC's, there's no need for the critter to have actual statistics.

Actually, quite a few are going to be fighting the PC's.

That being said, there's been some really good one's here, thanks for them. Any more?

Talic
2008-06-09, 01:25 AM
Well, Half-vampires aren't undead.

Lycanthropic templates can always be fun, just pick strange creatures (my favorite was a were-cachalot whale).

Half-dragon can combine favorably with any of these.

Half red dragon troll werecrocodile?
Half Gold dragon ogre were-dire wolf?

Ah, fun times.

Half vampire Orc Werewolf, for those who like Underworld.

Talic
2008-06-09, 01:27 AM
If you want to go tentacle monsters?

Pseudonatural half fiend kraken.

Adumbration
2008-06-09, 01:47 AM
Lords of Madness has some nice templates... Half-farspawn for example, as well as Shadow creature. Both are fairly powerful templates, with LAs of 4 and 2.

KazilDarkeye
2008-06-09, 01:59 AM
Spellwarped from MM3 seems like what you're after.

hamishspence
2008-06-09, 06:48 AM
If templates are applied in right ordwer you can stack up a lot. Some templates require living creatures, so undead-ifying templates should be the last ones: half-dragon followed by vampiric dragon enables you to make almost anything a vampire.

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-09, 07:13 AM
How exactly do Half Ghosts work? It sounds strange due to what ghosts are (at least they aren't as disturbing as Half Zombies).

DareTheRogue
2008-06-09, 07:55 PM
WHITE DRAGON SPAWN!!! from Dragonlance Campaign Setting! +1 LA

+2 Dex, +2 Con
Gain Low-light Vision and Darkvision 30ft
Gains ability to cast as 1st level Sorc
Deth Throws: 1d6 Cold
Breath usable every 2d4 rounds Saving Throw= 10+ 1/2 spawn's total HD+Con Mod. Cone of Cold 2d6 dmg
Flight at twice base creatures land speed with average maneuverability
+7 Nat armor

MUST BE CHAOTIC EVIL!!!

drengnikrafe
2008-06-09, 11:43 PM
Warforged from the MM II or III (I can't remember which) are pretty extreme, and if you're good at describing things epicly, it's really fun to tell the PCs that a giant hunk of adamantine metal with insane strength is barreling at them. (Sorry if some of my words are mispelled, which I'm pretty sure some are...)

Ninja Chocobo
2008-06-09, 11:56 PM
If you want to go tentacle monsters?

Pseudonatural half fiend kraken.

Might be able to add Half-Illithid and/or Voidmind to that.
For the record, Half-Illithid and/or Voidmind. (MM3, I think. Or maybe FF)

Mewtarthio
2008-06-10, 12:36 AM
There's a Tauric template out there which lets you mash a humanoid and an animal together. There's also a Titanic template which gives you a really big monster that can destroy the city. Basically, check out Crystal Keep.

I'd also like to point you towards the entomanothrope (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040621a) template. Once your adventurers track down the missing village children, what could be more fun than said children becoming all chitinous and sprouting stingers?

How exactly do Half Ghosts work? It sounds strange due to what ghosts are (at least they aren't as disturbing as Half Zombies).

True Love knows no boundaries!

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-10, 12:53 AM
That is highly disturbing (as well as making no sense from an anatomical standpoint). To be fair, this is the same company who released a spell called Mindrape, so I probably expect too much from them in regards to good taste.

Talic
2008-06-10, 01:05 AM
Hey, if people can grow hair and fundamentally alter their bone structure to that of a wolf, why not move it to the outside, and call it chitin?

I mean really, this is a land where people can turn Dragons into Cupcakes.