PDA

View Full Version : The next communication breakdown [speculation]

Chronos
2008-06-08, 03:38 PM
It's clear that the two halves of the Order aren't going to successfully communicate with each other any time soon. But Haley and company will soon reach Cliffport, where it's reasonable to suspect that they'll see Julia, and that Roy will be able to manifest to her. If that happens, how does the communication breakdown remain in place?

My theory: Roy successfully manages to communicate with Julia, and tells her to contact one of the other Order members (probably Durkon, since he's probably the one she knows the best). She agrees, and Roy goes back to Celestia, confident that his message will get across. But Julia, of course, isn't high enough level to cast Sending, so she'll need a scroll. Right after Roy leaves, she heads to the magic shops in town, and finds that none of them have any Sending scrolls in stock, since the Linear Guild already bought up all of them (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0258.html).

Stormpax
2008-06-08, 04:02 PM
And that would lead to a Julia solo adventure?

Yendor
2008-06-08, 04:14 PM
That was months ago. It doesn't seem likely there won't be more created in the meantime. Besides, they can always try mugging Pompey. It's not as if he can use them, having barred Evocation.

David Argall
2008-06-08, 06:20 PM
Haley and company will soon reach Cliffport, where it's reasonable to suspect that they'll see Julia, and that Roy will be able to manifest to her. If that happens, how does the communication breakdown remain in place?

Note that Eugene was only able to communicate with Roy when Roy had the sword. So Julia will not be able to see Roy until she has the sword, which suggests a scene where Haley goes to visit Julia and shows her the sword, with Roy watching, and Julia refuses to touch it.

Lira
2008-06-08, 06:32 PM
Note that Jerome was only able to communicate with Roy when Roy had the sword. So Julia will not be able to see Roy until she has the sword, which suggests a scene where Haley goes to visit Julia and shows her the sword, with Roy watching, and Julia refuses to touch it. Roy's father is named Eugene, not Jerome. :smallconfused:

Morgan Wick
2008-06-08, 09:19 PM
And it's possible that even taking all the precautions, Roy still won't be able to appear to Julia. I'm still not ruling out that Roy just can't talk to anyone because he's not a magic-user.

And I'm not ruling out Haley and Co. not reaching Cliffport either, if only because we already know that's what they're trying to do.

Ned the undead
2008-06-08, 09:40 PM
Anybody else think of Led Zepplin when they saw this?

Chronos
2008-06-08, 11:23 PM
Oh, I'm certain there will be other difficulties before Roy manages to get through to Julia. Probably, there will be difficulties getting to Cliffport and all the rest. I'm just saying that this is what I think will be the next barrier after Roy contacts Julia.

And four months is a long time, but magical economies are screwey. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that scroll stores have a turnover time that long.

Sir_Elderberry
2008-06-09, 06:51 PM
Or maybe the communcation breakdown between Roy and Haley is lifted at that point? Why are we starting with the assumption that that won't happen?

Gamerlord
2008-06-09, 08:13 PM
I don't think roy can chat with julia remeber the anti-undead barrier?

Manga Shoggoth
2008-06-10, 03:43 AM
And four months is a long time, but magical economies are screwey. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that scroll stores have a turnover time that long.

There was a posting on the Risks Digest about someone who needed lots particular piece of hardware (I can't remember exactly what), and cleaned out his local store.

The problem was that the item in question was one that they didn't sell much of, and the stock computer for the company detected this as a surge in demand, and "reordered" a large number of the items.

If the magic stores use the same logic, there may be an excess of scrolls that they are trying to sell off cheap.

Laurentio
2008-06-10, 05:40 AM
Doooon't know... seems to me that story arcs are almost done. Haley grown up her responsibility, Roy acknowledged his teammates strong and soft points, Elan had his epic tour, and Vaarsuvius gained the status of Universal Butt Monkey.
Durkan is Durkan, and Belkar is Belkar. That is, if you are short or have a "K" in your name, you get no character development.

Short story: team regroup. No more delays.

Laurentio

Red XIV
2008-06-10, 11:11 AM
I don't think roy can chat with julia remeber the anti-undead barrier?
Since when is Roy undead? He's just plain old dead. Big difference.

David Argall
2008-06-10, 01:38 PM
Doooon't know... seems to me that story arcs are almost done. Haley grown up her responsibility, Roy acknowledged his teammates strong and soft points, Elan had his epic tour, and Vaarsuvius gained the status of Universal Butt Monkey.
Durkan is Durkan, and Belkar is Belkar. That is, if you are short or have a "K" in your name, you get no character development.

Short story: team regroup. No more delays.

Laurentio

We figure to be done with Azure city about the end of the current book, about 660-70. So we got about 100 strips to reunite the party, retake the city, etc. Now the capture of the city did take 50-60 strips, but the recovery will likely go faster. So there is room for more delay. I suspect we will see Haley arriving in Cliffport shortly for a little fun.

Chronos
2008-06-10, 02:07 PM
Since when is Roy undead? He's just plain old dead. Big difference.When he's manifesting (or trying to), he's a ghost, and therefore technically undead. Remember, when Roy expressed surprise that Eugene hadn't visited Julia, she said that the school has pretty good wards against that sort of thing (that's what gamerkid woud be referring to). To be fair, though, those wards haven't really been tested: We learn from Start of Darkness that Eugene wasn't allowed to manifest to Julia, under the terms of his Oath, because it only allowed next of kin. Julia was not at the time next of kin to Eugene, but she is currently next of kin to Roy.

In any event, this thread has served my purpose. Sure, I may well be proven wrong, but just in case, I can point to this thread and sasy "I told you so".